The Sunday GP Sydney Legacy Side event had 66 players, 7 rounds and a guaranteed Unlimited Mox Pearl for 1st, with prize wall tickets down to 16th

Since the Eldrazi menace has taken a rise in numbers, I decided to return to an old favourite Sneak and Show. Containment Priest previously scared me away from this deck, however the hybrid version doesn’t seem anywhere near as fragile at the cost of consistency, also being so so much sweeter to play puts a big plus in my books. I’ve previously played one other big Legacy Tournament (56 players 4-0-2 lost in the Semi’s) with this list and enjoyed it so was happy to run it back. As is usual for me I took no notes, so maybe this entire report is made up. Hopefully someone out there finds reading it enjoyable.

Omni Attack
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
3 Griselbrand
3 Omniscience
3 Sneak Attack
4 Show and Tell
4 Brainstorm
3 Cunning Wish
4 Force of Will
3 Spell Pierce
1 Impulse
1 Intuition
4 Ponder
2 Preordain

3 Lotus Petal
3 Ancient Tomb
2 City of Traitors
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Volcanic Island
3 Island
1 Mountain
3 Misty Rainforest

SIDEBOARD
2 Bloodmoon
2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Firemind’s Foresight
1 Flusterstorm
1 Intuition
1 Kozilek’s Return
1 Pyroblast
1 Release the Ants
1 sudden Shock
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Through the Breach
1 Trickbind
1 Wipe Away

R1 – Death and Taxes
G1 – I keep a hand with Fetch, Ancient Tomb, Omniscience, Emrakul, Show and Tell, Ponder, Brainstorm. His turn 1 of Mother of Runes doesn’t seem anywhere near as good when I draw a petal.

G2 – I start with a slow hand of 2x Ponder Brainstorm and Kozilek’s Return and lands. I keep figuring the Kozilek’s Return should buy me enough turns to put something together, and I eventually cast it killing his board of MOM, Revoker (naming Jace), Stoneforge Mystic and a Spirit of the Labyrinth leaving him 2 cards in hand. I land a Sneak attack the following turn but only have 1 Red Mana left to put in one of the 2 Griselbrands in hand. Containment Priest in response to the activation kills me.

G3 – I Force of Will a Containment Priest and then Show and Tell into an Omniscience, Cast Griselbrand find his friend Emrakul and take the win.
1-0

R2 – Stoneblade
G1 – I Cast a turn 3 Show and Tell, knowing I have a second copy as well as a Spell Pierce to help force it though. Unfortunately, the worst thing happens when he responds with a Vendillion Clique taking my Omniscience leaving me with just another Show and Tell, 2x Spell Pierce and lands. The game draws out a few more turns from there until I draw a Sneak Attack. This threat resolves after his Brainstorm into Brainstorm fails to find a Force of Will or any disruption at all. I put in Emrakul and my RR available manages to get around his Karakas.

G2 – I cast an early Cunning Wish to get Red Elemental Blast, and eventually cast Show and Tell for Omniscience with a Cunning Wish in hand. Cunning Wish finds Fireminds Foresight I grab an Intuition, Impulse and Brainstorm and Emrakul via Intuition finishes the deal.
2-0

R3 – Mono White Eldrazi
G1 – Turn 1 Mimic into Turn 2 Thoughtknot Seer takes a Show and Tell, and I am not able to piece anything together before I die.

G2 – turn 1 Eldrazi Mimic into turn 2 Eldrazi Displacer, puts me on a fast clock and I foolishly don’t use one of my two Force of Wills to slow him down. I die a few turns later after not having done much at all.
2-1

R4 – Standstill / Hexmage / Darkdepths
G1 – his turn 1 of Mox Diamond Brainstorm Fetchland seemed much better than my turn 1 Ponder shuffle. Following up with turn two Hexmage Dark Depths puts me away much quicker than I expected.

G2 – We spend a few turns each Brainstorming and Pondering, and turn 4 or 5 I get Thoughtseized. I have a Brainstorm in response putting Intuition Show and Tell on top and revealing Griselbrand, Emrakul, Sneak Attack, Omniscience and an Ancient Tomb. He takes Sneak Attack, and I cast the Show and Tell I hid off the top of my Library putting in Omniscience and the game.

G3 – he starts with Turn 1 Urborg into Thoughtseize, Turn 2 Darkdepths Hexmage. My only disruption was a turn 2 Cunning Wish for Wipe Away but that was much too slow.
2-2

R5 – Belcher / Storm Combo
G1 – My opponent mulligans, scrys to the top and has no play on the first turn….possibly great for me or most likely very scary. I have 2 Spell Pierce and a Force but need to use 2 Ponders to dig for the combo. I resolve a Show and Tell -> Griselbrand and she puts in a Lions Eye Diamond. On her turn she pitches Spirit Guide x2, Petal, Desperate Ritual into Desperate Ritual into an Empty the Warrens for 8 Goblins. Fortunately, with the first hit and a high enough life total I was able to win the race.

G2 – Double Mull into Taiga -> Xanthid Swarm go. Very scary start from the combo deck, fortunately it looked like she was still looking for a few more pieces. I spend a few turns Brainstorming and eventually Show and Telling in a Griselbrand crossing my fingers I don’t die. Each hit I get in makes me feel safer but I know Charbelcher can come from nowhere and kill me with the Xanthid Swarm in play. When she’s on 7 life I get a feeling her plan is to block with the Xanthid and kill me on her turn so I pay 21 life to try find a Sneak Attack figuring 21 cards is better than me hoping she doesn’t have it. I find the Sneak Attack and cast it, and She tries to point a Red Elemental Blast at it in response, the judge tells her that’s a legal target but maybe doesn’t do what she thinks and she scoops.
3-2

R6 – Mono Brown Metalworker
G1 – I lead with an early Ponder and Brainstorm to find the missing pieces, resolve an Sneak Attack putting in Griselbrand, and the draw 14 was able to find a Petal for red and Emrakul.

G2 – This game starts with me having to Force a Chalice @ 1 as I had a number of cantrips, my opponent then resolves a Metalworker and keeps revealing artifacts and dropping big things into play. I land a Sneak Attack with no spare Red, but Spine of Ish-sha removes it and I’m dead before I can get enough action together.

G3 – I let a Chalice @ 1 resolve, and spend a Force of Will to counter a Kuldotha Forgemaster and eventually use Impulse to find a Show and Tell. I Show and Tell in an Omniscience, cast Griselbrand draw and find Emrakul and victory.
4-2

R7 – Mirror
G1 – My opponent leads on 3 Volcanics and a Ponder, and I’m trying to decide if he’s on a Delver variant or not. I have a Force of Will, Cantrips and land drops so I’m not too concerned with how the game is going, knowing that potential Dazes and Spell Pierces get worse the more land drops I can make. Eventually he plays a Sol Land and I decide to go for it with FOW + Spell Pierce backup. I cast Show and Tell for Omniscience, and his eyes light up as he puts in his Emrakul. He slumps as I cast my Emrakul, and annihilate him to down to nothing.

G2 – Game two starts with a mulligan for my opponent, and I keep a ponder heavy 7. His first few turns of land go to my Ponder shuffle go stops on turn 3 when he tries for a Show and Tell. My hand is Omniscience, Ponder, Cunning Wish and Emrakul so I let it resolve. We both put in an Omniscience and I respond to his Cunning Wish with my own. Now at this point I’m thinking about earlier in the match when my opponent told me this is his first Tournament with the deck, so I’m not sure if he is familiar with what Cunning Wish can do.
I feel like I have 2 choices here, either Fireminds Foresight or Wipe Away, with the Foresight being super bad if he has a Force of Will and the Wipe Away only being better if he does have a Force of Will or a Flusterstorm (as I can pay 4 but not 5) AND he has to decide he wants to counter what I get off Cunning Wish instead of the Wish itself. All things considered I decide to get Wipe Away and bounce his Omniscience with his Wish still on the stack still unsure if he’s holding a Force of Will or not. Genuinely interested in what others think is correct here. The game plays out from here with him resolving his wish getting Rushing River (but not enough lands) and passing the turn with no more action. I Cast the Emrakul I had in hand already and take the match.
5-2

3 of the 4 guys from my local area made top 8, including the White Eldrazi guy I lost to in round 3 – he’s now top of the Swiss. Unfortunately, as I’m in 8th seed, we will be playing in r1 top 8.

TOP 8 – Mono White Eldrazi
G1 – Turn 2 Thought Knot Seer takes my Omniscience, and I happily draw one right off the top. A mixture of Thalia, ThoughtKnot and Displacer get me down to 1 with the Comment “well from here I guess you need Omniscience, Grisel, Emrakul and Show & Tell”. I reveal my hand of exactly those 4 cards plus a land to get around the Thalia tax and take the game.

G2 – I keep a hand with Emrakul, Omniscience, Island, Ancient Tomb, Sneak Attack, Force of Will, Ponder. I Ponder turn one revealing Show and Tell, Misty Rainforest and Brainstorm and excitedly put them back drawing the Misty, leaving Show and Tell on top, the plan being to Cast Show and Tell next turn. The plan goes south the following turn when he plays a turn 2 Thalia and I’m faced with the dilemma of Force of Willing the Thalia pitching Omniscience as that will let me Show and Tell Emrakul or Sneak Attack in the next turn, however if he has Wasteland / Karakas / Needle / Revoker I’ll be way behind. The other option is to let Thalia resolve as I’ll then have a Brainstorm to pitch to Force of Will the following turn and the 4th mana from the fetch to cast Show and Tell for Omniscience and Emarakul through Thalia. I decide to let Thalia resolve. He follows up with another 2 mana land and Thoughtknot Seer which I Force and am now able to pay the 4 for Show and Tell, put in Omniscience and Emrakul manages to take the game.
6-2

TOP 4 – (Foil) Miracles
G1 – Game one was a long drawn out affair, with my casting spell pierce on the first Counterbalance, and Force of Will on the second. He has made a lot of land drops and a top is keeping him with Gas, including a Counterspell for my first Show and Tell and a Snapcaster Mage Counterspell for my first Sneak Attack. The second Sneak Attack Resolves and I know things are looking good when he has to Terminus a Griselbrand when he’s on 16 and I’m on ~8 life. He fetches down to 15 looking for more gas, and I am able to kill him with an Emrakul I’ve been holding onto for a few turns.

G2 – I spend a few turns setting up and running Sneak Attacks into FOW’s and Counterspells until I finally find a Boseiju. From there I resolve a Show and Tell for Omniscience with Emrakul, Griselbrand, Sneak Attack and Force of Will in hand. I lead with Griselbrand and he responds with Pyroblast on my Omniscience. I FOW, and he appears out of Gas. There’s some post game discussion on what he should have fought over as he apparently had a Terminus on top of his library, however as I’m on enough life for one activation I don’t think he’s winning many games from this point.
7-2

TOP 2 – Grixis Delver
My memory of both these games is a little fuzzy, I think I’ve repressed the pain and suffering I felt at this loss. One match away from the Mox.
G1 – I keep a reasonable hand that needs to find either an Emrakul or Griselbrand to be good. A wasteland sets be back a turn or two all the while I’m getting beat down by Pyromancer and the fish Gurmag Angler. My cantrips aren't able to put anything together before i die to the grixis duo.

G2 – My opponent starts early with Gitaxian Probe into Cabal Therapy which takes all of my business leaving me with a sole Show and Tell with nothing to put in. I manage to find a Boseiju early, and have approximately two draw steps to find some business, however neither come up with the goods and I’m dead.
7-3 and enough prize points for a Box.