Thread: Cards That Synergize with Planeswalkers

Cards That Synergize with Planeswalkers

I'm a traditional player but I've recently become alerted to the possibility that I might like planeswalkers. After coming to grips with my loss of taste, I set out thinking about cards that have synergy with planeswalkers, to assist me in possibly finding a deck to play. Maybe even a full-on planeswalker deck. Maybe there aren't really any, and maybe it's not necessary.

I couldn't think of many, but I have:

Pernicious Deed, Nevinyrral's Disk
    Cards like Ensnaring Bridge, Moat, Humility, Peacekeeper
    Oath of Nissa

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Cards That Synergize with Planeswalkers

Chain Vail, Veteran Explorer, Powder Keg?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Savor the Moment gives you a reasonable cost Time Walk that works well with multiple 'walkers.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Hello and welcome!
    There isn't really a Super-Friends deck per se in Legacy, but I have heard Tezzerator described as "walker control".

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ec-UB-Tezzeret
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...erator-control

Eight-ish walkers may not seem like many, but it's enough to usally have one or more and the powers them out quickly. The list run Tezz and Jace, but I've seen lists with Lilis and or a Karn. It's been a while since I've looked into the deck though. Maybe people like Ugin these days.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

There are two problems with planeswalkers:

1) Your game against combo decks is poor. You can't even drop in a planeswalker vs. Show and Tell. When building your deck, you should either forfeit those matchups or start with making your combo matchup reasonable. In a totally 'walker-focused deck, I don't think it would be possible to have a good combo matchup.

2) Planeswalkers are slow and usually cost 3 to 5 mana. This puts them above the format's general mana curve, meaning you'll need to be able to piece together the correct ratio of mana to top-end spells and not draw all lands or all big-mana spells.

A planeswalker-based deck would be happy to have any Wrath effect or other sweeper, since you probably are playing few to no creatures. Pyroclasm, Rough/Tumble, Terminus, Toxic Deluge, and the others previously listed are all viable depending on your colors.

Prismatic Omen is another Oath of Nissa effect.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

You might like Danny Batterman's deck from season1 of the Legacy Mediocre League. He achieved a respectable 4-4 with it, even though I don't think the deck is all that great.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Planeswalkers are slow and usually cost 3 to 5 mana. This puts them above the format's general mana curve, meaning you'll need to be able to piece together the correct ratio of mana to top-end spells and not draw all lands or all big-mana spells.
    Maybe a Stompy-style approach would be a way forward here, with perms like Trinisphere, Static Orb, CHalice of the Void etc.
    Proliferate helps with walkers too, a card like Tezzeret's Gambit isn't a great example, but you get the idea.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Walker decks of old where often a Nic Fit shell for ramp/Discard. They would run Deed for control and Pulse for clean up. The deck was not too bad, but I do not know how effective it would be today.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

I find Planeswalker's more of a complentary card, ie fills a certain void in your deck. PW's like Liliana and Jace 2.0 contribute a the deck's philosopy to a certain extend, or are a secondary wincon by itself.

The only deck I know which played multiple PW's, even made them the centre of their strategy, is the already named Nic Fit. It's not that strong, if you ask me.

That said, I recently traded my Lily's away in a big deal, which contained three Volc Seas among other cards. You can say my love for the most beautiful PW cooled down. So PW's are also excellent trading-material
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

You can use Eureka to drop in big walkers like Nicol Bolas, Karn and Ugin.

The "Oath of..." cycle of enchantments all synergize with walkers in a direct but weak way.

I think "Planeswalker Stompy" with Sol lands or even 12 post would be viable, if you could play 8x Oath of Nissa... There is a fun "Planeswalker Tron" deck in Modern that does similar.

There are/were Esper Control decks that ran a number of walkers, occasionally 4+ including JTMS, LotV, Sorin Lord of Innistrad, Elspeth Knight-Errant, and even Tezzeret, Agent of Bolus.

This was in the days before DTT when there was a bit of a struggle for supremacy between Miracles and decks like that. Miracles won. It turns out that the card synergizing with walkers above all others is Terminus, and the only walker you'll likely need to protect is Jace.

Maybe if DnT gets huge due to Thalia, Heretic Cather we'll see a resurgence of the black control cards. Black has answers to little white creatures all day, every day.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Yes, Miracles really has the best tools right now to make planeswalkers work. In addition to the obvious JTMS, Nahiri has seen some success in the deck as more filtering + another win con, and I've also seen people playing with Narset and Gideon AOZ.

Interestingly I've seen a couple people trying out Ashiok as sideboard tech against the Miracles matchup too.

There's a decent number of counter manipulation cards like doubling season. I doubt many of them are playable.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I always liked Winter Orb for its overall synergy with walkers. I even briefly tried Orb, Bitterblossom and Garruk Wildspeaker in a Chalice/Loam shell to tackle Miracles two years ago. It may even be possible to make this work, but Garruk is just a little too weak on its own, I'm afraid.

Rings of Brighthearth is also kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    You can use Eureka to drop in big walkers like Nicol Bolas, Karn and Ugin.

The "Oath of..." cycle of enchantments all synergize with walkers in a direct but weak way.

I think "Planeswalker Stompy" with Sol lands or even 12 post would be viable, if you could play 8x Oath of Nissa... There is a fun "Planeswalker Tron" deck in Modern that does similar.
    I have dropped both Ugin and Nicol Bolas in the same Eureka resolution with my Eureka Order deck, it is beautiful to behold. Maybe there's a room to remove the Natural Order aspect and add...Oath of Nissa (but conflicts with Chalice) or multiple 3-drop Nissas, multiple Garruks? Doesn't strike me as better.

Awesome, so many good responses.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the all in red decks can support red planeswalkers bc the moon and taxing effects slow the game down enough for them to become reasonable win conditions.
    -rob

Feb 2014
    Los Angeles, CA

The Veteran Explorer + Cabal Therapy for serious decks. Gilder Bairn for swag.

bruizar

vengeful pharaoh

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Doubling Season turns a lot of walkers into instant wins. It's actually the focus of a semi-competitive Modern deck.

Of course, its basically useless by itself and costs 5, so it's an edge case in Legacy.

Thread Information