Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eternal Extravaganza 5 - 20k Legacy Event - October 16 - Baltimore, MD

Jun 2015
    NYC

Re: Eternal Extravaganza 5 - 20k Legacy Event - October 16 - Baltimore, MD

Guys, I actually spoke with Sam at the event and he constantly referred to his deck as Angel Stompy. If he believes that he's playing an Angel Stompy deck, I'm not sure what right we have to rename his deck for him.

He actually told me he believed Miracles was no longer favored in the meta and switched to an Angel Stompy build as a last minute audible - obviously a smart move that won him the event. I honestly think the fact that Angel Stompy won a major event is something we should celebrate, since it shows the diversity of legacy. Clumping everything into the category 'Miracles' just because the decks share a few cards is lazy and misleading.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

So the rest of the top 8 was Dredge, False Cure, Angel Stompy, Sneak Show, Merfolk, Elves, and Quinn the Eskimo? Those are about as accurate of names as Angel Stompy is to his Miracles list.

Jun 2015
    NYC

If the players wanted to name their decks those things, that would be their right. I think those names would be a little more confusing than Angel Stompy, because Sam's deck genuinely was a beatdown deck that won with angels. But I think people have the right to name their deck anything that they want.

I don't want to live in a country where people don't have basic naming rights over their own things. That's not a road we want to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    There are some MAJOR differences between Sam's list and 'Miracles' decks, both in card choice and in play style - if you watch his games, Sam plays the deck as a Stompy deck, not as a control deck.

Ultimately I think it makes sense to name a deck based on its win condition and this deck's win condition involves stomping down with angels, so the name makes sense. Anything else would just make things super confusing for everyone.
    What MAJOR differences are there in Sam's deck to a pre mentor miracles deck? lol....

I don't care about play style for the moment, PLEASE tell me what these MAJOR differences are....

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I don't want to live in a country where people don't have basic naming rights over their own things.
    Obvious troll is obvious guys...

Here's iatee at a recent family reunion.

Which one were you again? All trolls like alike to me...

If the players wanted to name their decks those things, that would be their right. I think those names would be a little more confusing than Angel Stompy, because Sam's deck genuinely was a beatdown deck that won with angels. But I think people have the right to name their deck anything that they want.

I don't want to live in a country where people don't have basic naming rights over their own things. That's not a road we want to go down.
    its not his own deck, clearly stock deck he played except of 2 mainboard pyroblasts he is play 2 mainboard predicts....there is nothing in this to call it angel stompy....ETA is synonymous with Miracles...

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Obvious troll is obvious guys...

Here's iatee at a recent family reunion.

Which one were you again? All trolls like alike to me...
    I think he's this one.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesWizard View Post
    What MAJOR differences are there in Sam's deck to a pre mentor miracles deck? lol....

I don't care about play style for the moment, PLEASE tell me what these MAJOR differences are....
    I don't get what your fixation on card choices are. Play style is a MAJOR component of Stompy decks.

If you watch the games, Sam doesn't play his cards like a Miracles player would. He throws down a fast YOLO Counterbalance lock piece and then gets his beat on, Stompy style, with angels. Many of, if not the majority of the choices he makes during these games would be *terrible* if he were a Miracles player. But as a Stompy player, they were great decisions.

And just as you can play cards that are traditionally 'Miracles' in a Stompy manner, you can play cards that are traditionally 'Stompy' in a Miracles manner. E.g. You still slam down t1 Chalice, but you can also play a Top for later in the game, card filtering etc. Being so fixated on card choices makes you miss a lot of the subtle things in the game, it doesn't matter what cards you play, just how you play them.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew to MiraclesWizard via PM at 3:28 PM
    You're doing it wrong man!
    He's just going to respond by repeating the same nonsensical bullshit.

Find a picture of a bridge and tell him his house needs work.

Nice house Brah! You get good internetz there?

maybe it should be called snappy stompy

Quote Originally Posted by EEMagic View Post
    Several members of the Magic community have expressed concerns regarding the Legacy and Vintage prize pools of Eternal Extravaganza 5. Specifically, some players have expressed surprise or disappointment in the fact that they believe that the Vintage event awarding Dual Lands and Fetchlands seems more like a Legacy prize pool, while the Legacy event awarding pieces of Power 9 seems like a Vintage prize pool. Some have even expressed that the current prize structure makes them less likely to enter. We would like to attempt to alleviate those concerns.

For the Legacy $30,000, Tales of Adventure chose to award two full sets of Power 9. As EE expands and continues to draw more players, we are continuously challenged to provide a bigger prize to match the turnout. While EE4's store credit was okay, we wanted to have a clearly defined prize pool to use with our advertising. With this value of Magic cards given away, many options become difficult to use. Trying to find several hundred duals or several thousand fetchlands becomes challenging at best.

For the Vintage $10,000, Tales of Adventure chose to award sets of all ten dual lands and sets of all ten fetchlands amongst the top 8 because it is an extremely high value pool that enables the Vintage top 8 players more freedom. Specifically, we have noticed that Vintage players more likely to choose to "split" in the top 8 or top 4 of a given event than their Legacy counterparts. Given that, this prize pool is much easier to split in many different ways. Also, we have found that Vintage players are more likely to take cash or store credit in lieu of the physical prizes. At the size this event has become, roughly 100-130 players, the alternative would be 1st Lotus, top 4 Mox, top 8 / 16 Drains or some other $100-200 card.

Additionally, Tales of Adventure is pleased to offer the following solution to the Vintage community:

Anyone who finishes in top 4 can trade in their Vintage prizes towards any Legacy prize we bought back at what we paid to buy back the Legacy prizes at (Top 8 can trade to Naya Moxen). For example, if you finish 3rd here for ~$600 buylist, you can choose to swap for a Time Walk (assuming we paid ~$600 to buy it back). This would be contingent on us buying Legacy prizes back and can only happen the Sunday night or through e-mail by the Tuesday after the event, and the deal has to happen before Vintage starts at Eternal Weekend.

Tales of Adventure believes that the value offered in our Legacy and Vintage events is unmatched. While we certainly can appreciate the takes on what the Eternal Extravaganza 5 prize pools look like, we hope that the reasoning we have expressed here mitigates those concerns.

We do value the Legacy and Vintage community's opinions greatly, and we are always open to discussion and suggestion on any matters concerning our events. Please email us at TOAMagic@gmail.com with any thoughts, opinions, and concerns pertaining to the prize pools or any facet of any Eternal Extravaganza event.
    I just wanna say that giving vintage cards to legacy winners in brillant, it helps players get into vintage! Ive wanted tournements prized as such for years

Thread Information