Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 623

Thread: Thalia Stompy

  1. #601

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Went 3-0 (unfortunately there were only 3 rounds this time) on local, beating Eldrazi Stompy, B/W Tokens(ish) and UR Delver.

    Slight changes to the board since last time: doubled up on Pontiff, and swapped a couple Thorns for Glowriders. The added body is relevant, and so is the interaction with cavern (which makes it the choice over vryn wingmare). The extra mana is fine as it is usually the turn 2 play, after a chalice or thalia on 1, and on some occasions multiple thorns would interfere with eachother.

    List:

    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Smuggler’s Copter
    3 Walking Ballista
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Eldrazi Displacer
    2 Blade Splicer
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Palace Jailer
    1 Reality Smasher

    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond

    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Karakas
    6 Plains
    3 Mishra’s Factory
    3 Wasteland

    1 Blessed Alliance
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Orzhov Pontiff
    2 Absolute Law
    2 Cast Out
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Glowrider

    I am very much enjoying this list, and will try and make it to a bigger tourney this weekend for further testing.

  2. #602

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    The following list made Top8 in the latest MKM Event: http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...r-death-taxes/

    Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

  3. #603

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Hey guys ,it's been a while. i'm still playing the deck, havn't stopped in 2 years . Recently i've top 8'd one of the Philadelphia legacy series events and last weekend i played in the legacy classic and went 5-3 starting out 5-0 ..it sucked .. but since the philly legacy series started i'm 3-1,4-0, 4-0, 4-0, 4-0, 3-1,2-2, 3-3 ,4-2,5-3 in sanctioned events . The deck is in a really good spot rite now .

  4. #604

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    @metronome2charisma what would be your list for this meta?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    The only glass cannon here is the pilot.
    I play decks with a lot of white enchantments, and white isn't even my favorite color.

  5. #605

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    @metronome2charisma what would be your list for this meta?
    Also curious!

    I happened across a list running Lodestone Golem and the SFM package on MTGO the other day and it seemed really solid; but I'm not sure I'm ready to go that deep yet. But curious if there are alternative directions to take the list as well.

  6. #606

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    @metronome2charisma what would be your list for this meta?
    This is my current list

    10 non creature
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 lotus petal
    2 Umezawa's Jitte


    25 Creature
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Walking Ballista
    3 Thalia Heretic Cathar
    3 tithe taker
    1 Blade splicer

    25 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    2 Karakas
    6 Plains
    3 Wasteland


    15 Sideboard
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Fearie Macabre
    3 Ratchet bomb
    2 Blessed Alliance
    1 warping wail
    2 Sorcerous spyglass

  7. #607
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,952

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Some food for thought: Taken from the D&T thread, but discussing it here might have some merit:

    Orzhov Advokist

    kioken praises it alot, although I'm sceptical due to the lack of evasion. It is already a fast clock by itself, though. However, what catched my eye is the combo with Walking Ballista, which kioken hasn't even tested yet. With this, you can load up counters on the Ballista very fast for board control, fast beats (doubles the damage due to pinging in the final turn) and reach, even blocked by Ensnaring Bridge and the likes. Eldrazi Displacer could also clear counters from creatures, if necessary.

    Might be too cute (and stone-cold dead vs TNN), but the concept behind it sounds intriguing, as Thalia Stompy would be a much better shell for it than D&T.

  8. #608

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by metronome2charisma View Post
    This is my current list

    10 non creature
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 lotus petal
    2 Umezawa's Jitte


    25 Creature
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Walking Ballista
    3 Thalia Heretic Cathar
    3 tithe taker
    1 Blade splicer

    25 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    2 Karakas
    6 Plains
    3 Wasteland


    15 Sideboard
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Fearie Macabre
    3 Ratchet bomb
    2 Blessed Alliance
    1 warping wail
    2 Sorcerous spyglass

    Is tithe taker any good?
    The card seems like a vanilla 2/1 to me

  9. #609

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Some food for thought: Taken from the D&T thread, but discussing it here might have some merit:

    Orzhov Advokist

    kioken praises it alot, although I'm sceptical due to the lack of evasion. It is already a fast clock by itself, though. However, what catched my eye is the combo with Walking Ballista, which kioken hasn't even tested yet. With this, you can load up counters on the Ballista very fast for board control, fast beats (doubles the damage due to pinging in the final turn) and reach, even blocked by Ensnaring Bridge and the likes. Eldrazi Displacer could also clear counters from creatures, if necessary.

    Might be too cute (and stone-cold dead vs TNN), but the concept behind it sounds intriguing, as Thalia Stompy would be a much better shell for it than D&T.
    Another interesting card but the lack of disruption attached may hurt the playability in this deck

  10. #610
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2018
    Location

    Gothenburg
    Posts

    16

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Played this at a small weekly tournament yesterday and went 3-1

    2-1 Vs Green 12-post - (Cataclysm out of the SB was gold here)
    2-1 Vs Lands - (Thalia, Heretic Cathar slowed my opponent down enough)
    1-2 Vs UR Delver - (Only had slow "Plains go" openings and never saw any of my Chalices, should have used my mulligans more aggressively. Holy Light Was really strong here and took home the one W)
    2-0 Vs Grixis Artifact/PW control - (Easily the most interesting game with the weirdest situations, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar was MVP)

    Decklist
    Code:
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Palace Jailer
    4 Reality Smasher
    
    1 Gideon Blackblade
    
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Cavern of Souls
    8 Plains
    2 Karakas
    
    Sideboard
    4 Containment Priest
    3 Rest in Peace
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Holy Light
    1 Disenchant
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    The deck felt strong but no matches were lopsided either.

    My biggest issue was the amount of times I felt that I had to settle for a 'Plains go' start when I really wanted to drop something on turn one, the only option I see to remedy this is to add a Lotus Petal or two but I'm not hyped on cutting anything from the MD and not thrilled on the prospect of drawing them midgame either.

  11. #611

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Pretty nice.
    About your issue, why don't you play Chrome Mox?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    The only glass cannon here is the pilot.
    I play decks with a lot of white enchantments, and white isn't even my favorite color.

  12. #612
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2018
    Location

    Gothenburg
    Posts

    16

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    Pretty nice.
    About your issue, why don't you play Chrome Mox?
    There are too many lands and colorless spells to make room for Chrome Mox I'm afraid.

    I've tried the Chrome Mox Version with fewer lands and more colored spells but found that I like the Mox Diamond version better.

    Edit: Somehow I missed adding my Mox Diamond in the decklist in my original post, my bad.

  13. #613
    Member
    keys's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2006
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,077

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Prismatic Vista

    Lets you search for either Wastes or Plains. Mana was one of the biggest problems with this deck so I can see this being an auto include. Maybe 4 of.

  14. #614

  15. #615

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Does Orim67 post here? I really liked the list he has been running.

    25 LANDS
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Karakas
    5 Plains
    3 Wasteland

    25 CREATURES
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Walking Ballista

    10 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

    SIDEBOARD
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Leyline of the Void
    1 Palace Sentinels
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thorn of Amethyst


    I've been thinking about Eldrazi Stompy because of the rapid transformations in Legacy. I was a DnT player for years and moved onto Humans in the last quarter of last year (yes, there is a legacy Humans build, it was doing well, IMO better than DnT over the last 8-10 months), but Wrenn and Six+Plague Engineer makes me sad and I have felt like fair creature decks are now being forced toward being more aggressive. Humans is actually quite good at that, but relies on too many synergies and little creatures, as does DnT. I think those cards are significantly less impressive against Eldrazi, and those two slightly unfavorable matches will be less common. Plus, none of the W6 decks outside of Lands are running Wasteland since the mana is too greedy already.

    Up front, I have no interest in playing Eldrazi Post. I've played against it, it is fine, but it is a glorified Tron deck and I have some small amount of dignity left.

    Just a note on W vs. Colorless right now, I like the positioning of Eldrazi Displacer and the white sideboard options. It obviously has risks, since this list can't use Eye of Ugin, and probably eschews maindeck All Is Dust, Endbringer, and a choice between Matter Reshaper and Eldrazi Mimic. Ulamog is also probably a bit much.

    I saw this list on MTGTop8 and it feels like this is an interesting starting place.

    25 LANDS
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Karakas
    5 Plains
    3 Wasteland

    25 CREATURES
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Walking Ballista

    10 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

    SIDEBOARD
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Leyline of the Void
    1 Palace Sentinels
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thorn of Amethyst

    Probably to Definitely Out:
    Sideboard
    Leyline of the Void: Less than 3 seems bad, but do you really want 4? I think with Karakas, Priest and Displacer, it would just be better if those were RiPs. -2

    Palace Sentinels: Do you want Monarch that badly with no cool exile/removal effect? At least Palace Jailer synergizes with Displacer. -1

    Ethersworn Canonist: With 4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 4 Chalice, and 2 Containment Priest main, 2 Thorn and another Priest in the side, what is this lonely mug doing here? If you worry that much about fast combo, maybe just play a miser Mindbreak Trap? -1

    Probably to Definitely In:
    Sideboard, there are 4 slots
    Rest in Peace +2
    Ugin, the Ineffable +1
    Sorcerous Spyglass +1

    So far, this is what I have:
    25 LANDS
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Karakas
    5 Plains
    3 Wasteland

    25 CREATURES
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Thalia, Heretic of Cathar

    10 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

    SIDEBOARD
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Disenchant
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Ugin, the Ineffable
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

    Someone on the Eldrazi Aggro thread suggested -3 ballista -2 copter +3 gaga (LOL, that cracked me up) aka SfM + 1 jitte + 1 batterskull. I certainly don't like Copter and Jitte is just so good, but I wonder if it is better than the immediate return of Ballista, which by itself kills lots of threats and also gives us reach.
    Last edited by redtwister; 07-21-2019 at 09:08 AM.

  16. #616
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2018
    Location

    Gothenburg
    Posts

    16

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Played my more or less "Go to" list today during our weekly tournament, around 22 players showed up.
    Almost the exact same list as the one I played a few months ago.

    Results:
    0-2 vs UW Stoneblade (I punted pretty hard here but I would've probably lost in any case, I always seem to have problems with the first game of the day)
    2-1 vs DnT (Had some really fun and interesting games except for the first one where I just slammed a chalice and my opponent got stuck on a single land with a bunch of 1 drops in their hand)
    2-1 vs RUG Cascade (Double Smashers finished game three in record time)
    2-1 vs Solidarity (This game got me really nostalgic! Haven't seen Reset + High tide in a while)


    Decklist
    Code:
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Palace Jailer
    4 Reality Smasher
    
    1 Gideon Blackblade
    
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Cavern of Souls
    8 Plains
    2 Karakas
    
    Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Containment Priest
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    2 Holy Light
    2 Disenchant
    1 Cataclysm
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    Props:
    Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Big Thalia has just done so much work for me, slowing down most opponents a significant amount.
    Gideon Blackblade - Was really good in practically every game where I drew him. He "single-handedly" won me games vs DnT and was my best card vs UW-blade even though I lost. Considering adding another one to the MD or SB.

    Meh:
    Palace Jailer - Didn't feel very useful today but I'm not ready to cut them.

  17. #617
    Member
    gRR!!'s Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2011
    Location

    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts

    174

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Hey there folks,

    Last Saturday I've won January edition of Catalan Legacy League (52 players) with this version of (Green/) White Eldrazi:

    Maindeck:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Brushland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    1 Ghost Quarter
    2 Karakas
    3 Plains
    3 Wasteland
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Palace Jailer
    4 Reality Smasher
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Once Upon a Time
    Sideboard:
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Blessed Alliance
    3 Choke
    2 Disenchant
    2 Holy Light
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Rest in Peace

    The deck is an exact copy of the one Oscar Basart played to achieve Top 4 in the last tournament of Catalan Legacy Leagce last December, except he plays 1 Horizon Canopy as 61th card and I don't. Oscar also made 19th place at Eternal Weekend Japan two years ago with a previous iteration of the deck, so the man knows what he's doing :)

    I won against Elves, UB Thopters, Bant Oko and UR Delver in the Swiss, IDd rounds 5 and 6, then won vs Food Chain, RUG Delver and Emry Stompy in the top.

    I didn't really like Palace Jailer nor Choke previously, but now I'm a fan of Choke (it gave me the Top 8 win against Food Chain, it's so unexpected that it can reap victories out of nowhere). I still have doubts about the WW cost of Palace Jailer, but it's obviously great when you can cast it. It must be sweet if you manage to blink it with Eldrazi Displacer, but I didn't achieve to do it in the tournament :)

    I was lucky in the 1st round against Elves; he drew a million cards, made a million mana and cast a million elves in 3rd match but he couldn't find Craterhoof Behemoth to finish me (I had Priest in play, so he couldn't GSZ nor NO for it). I topdecked my third Reality Smasher next turn; he was at 4 life so he had to block with almost every creature in play just to not die. I finished him next turn anyway.

    The typical stuff: Chalice at one is awesome (and Chalice at 0 vs Emry Stompy is awesome too), turn 1 Thalia GoT is awesome and in certain matches, turn 1 Thalia HC is even more awesome.

    What I really like about the deck is that every card is a house on its own, but there is a lot of synergies between them that made them even better. And we are not especially "hateable", but we do have a lot of tools to hate the opponent out of the game, even maindeck.

    I'm really happy with my result; this is the third CLL that I've won, the first one was with Colorless Eldrazi and the second one with Eldrazi Post. I think i'm in love with these little colorless b*stards!

    Thanks for reading and sorry for my bad English!
    Last edited by gRR!!; 01-15-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

  18. #618

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by gRR!! View Post
    Hey there folks,

    Last Saturday I've won January edition of Catalan Legacy League (52 players) with this version of (Green/) White Eldrazi:

    Maindeck:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Brushland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    1 Ghost Quarter
    2 Karakas
    3 Plains
    3 Wasteland
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Palace Jailer
    4 Reality Smasher
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Once Upon a Time
    Sideboard:
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Blessed Alliance
    3 Choke
    2 Disenchant
    2 Holy Light
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Rest in Peace

    The deck is an exact copy of the one Oscar Basart played to achieve Top 4 in the last tournament of Catalan Legacy Leagce last December, except he plays 1 Horizon Canopy as 61th card and I don't. Oscar also made 19th place at Eternal Weekend Japan two years ago with a previous iteration of the deck, so the man knows what he's doing :)

    I won against Elves, UB Thopters, Bant Oko and UR Delver in the Swiss, IDd rounds 5 and 6, then won vs Food Chain, RUG Delver and Emry Stompy in the top.

    I didn't really like Palace Jailer nor Choke previously, but now I'm a fan of Choke (it gave me the Top 8 win against Food Chain, it's so unexpected that it can reap victories out of nowhere). I still have doubts about the WW cost of Palace Jailer, but it's obviously great when you can cast it. It must be sweet if you manage to blink it with Eldrazi Displacer, but I didn't achieve to do it in the tournament :)

    I was lucky in the 1st round against Elves; he drew a million cards, made a million mana and cast a million elves in 3rd match but he couldn't find Craterhoof Behemoth to finish me (I had Priest in play, so he couldn't GSZ nor NO for it). I topdecked my third Reality Smasher next turn; he was at 4 life so he had to block with almost every creature in play just to not die. I finished him next turn anyway.

    The typical stuff: Chalice at one is awesome (and Chalice at 0 vs Emry Stompy is awesome too), turn 1 Thalia GoT is awesome and in certain matches, turn 1 Thalia HC is even more awesome.

    What I really like about the deck is that every card is a house on its own, but there is a lot of synergies between them that made them even better. And we are not especially "hateable", but we do have a lot of tools to hate the opponent out of the game, even maindeck.

    I'm really happy with my result; this is the third CLL that I've won, the first one was with Colorless Eldrazi and the second one with Eldrazi Post. I think i'm in love with these little colorless b*stards!

    Thanks for reading and sorry for my bad English!
    It has been quiet over here for this deck lately!
    Now it seems that the green splash for OUAT is universally adapted, how has this work for you?

  19. #619
    Member
    gRR!!'s Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2011
    Location

    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts

    174

    Re: Thalia Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
    It has been quiet over here for this deck lately!
    Now it seems that the green splash for OUAT is universally adapted, how has this work for you?
    I kind of liked them, they saved me from an awkward topdeck of five lands in a row a couple of times, so I'll keep them in my maindeck for sure. They are castable mid-game via Mox Diamonds and Brushlands, which is also good.

    Oh, and they are also an easy card to sideboard out: when you are searching for non-land, non-creature answers, you don't really want to see OUaT in your hand, so I usually side them out and I get 3 "free" slots for sideboard answers. At least, in the matchups where I don't have to side in Faerie Macabres.
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

  20. #620
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,952

    Re: Thalia Stompy



    Looks like Thalia got a fitting alternative art for this deck form Secret Lair:



    Btw, did anyone test the new Heliod with Ballista in this shell?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)