Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Thalia Stompy

Re: Thalia Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by cin View Post
    Hi,
    which is better in a 25 land count.
    3 or 4 Mox Diamond?

if you use 3 Mox Diamond, is it good to include 1 Lotus Petal instead of another Mox Diamond?
    because I saw the build of Peter Tragos and it has 3 Mox Diamond and 1 Lotus Petal.

Thanks!
    3 Mox. The 4th one is doable but clunky so run Petal instead.

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post
    3 Mox. The 4th one is doable but clunky so run Petal instead.
    Thanks for the answer. How about the Thalia, Heretic Cathar? Is it good to have 4 copies of it in a deck or just 3? Again thanks!
    Team Budget
    "Deadly When Hungry"

Thanks for the answer. How about the Thalia, Heretic Cathar? Is it good to have 4 copies of it in a deck or just 3? Again thanks!
    I've tried 4 as well. Multiples of her gets stuck a lot in your hand, it becomes negative tempo... unless you are running more than 2 Copters. I preferred having 3 and no Copter.

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post
    I've tried 4 as well. Multiples of her gets stuck a lot in your hand, it becomes negative tempo... unless you are running more than 2 Copters. I preferred having 3 and no Copter.
    Thanks again darkgh0st, This time ill ask everyone, which deck is better, the Normal Eldrazi Aggro Deck (w/ Matter Reshapers, Endless One, SSG etc.) or the Eldrazi & Taxes / Thalia Stompy?

Thanks!
    Team Budget
    "Deadly When Hungry"

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Thanks again darkgh0st, This time ill ask everyone, which deck is better, the Normal Eldrazi Aggro Deck (w/ Matter Reshapers, Endless One, SSG etc.) or the Eldrazi & Taxes / Thalia Stompy?

Thanks!
    It's like question which deck is better Zoo or D&T. White Eldrazich is more controlling with better late game specially Stoneforge builds.Colorless Eldrazich is more like Zoo if they don't end game fast until turn 5 they are on disadvantage. White is more resilient with better tools to fight Moon effects, artifacts etc, Thalia is great vs combo decks. You also have good cards against vs TNN or swarm like Elves.

So colorless faster with worst late game, white slower with better late and tools vs unfair plays.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    It's like question which deck is better Zoo or D&T. White Eldrazich is more controlling with better late game specially Stoneforge builds.Colorless Eldrazich is more like Zoo if they don't end game fast until turn 5 they are on disadvantage. White is more resilient with better tools to fight Moon effects, artifacts etc, Thalia is great vs combo decks. You also have good cards against vs TNN or swarm like Elves.

So colorless faster with worst late game, white slower with better late and tools vs unfair plays.
    Absolute right! Colorless Eldrazi are hyper Aggro-Stompy which is good if it can overrun the opponent as fast as possible. If the opponent is prepared or you draw the wrong stuff you will have a hard time. White Eldrazi tend to be slower (no Mimic into Big Beater Starts) but have a better Combo Matchup ( especially S&S/Reanimator) and a flexible game plan that includes mid to lategame options with more card advantage. It is also possible to play it more aggressiv (Blade Splicer) or controlled (Stoneforge) both ways includes card advantage and both can grind out games too. Its also a matter of playstyle if you include Thalia 2.0 which is a super strong opener but a bad topdeck if you are behind.

---------

I currently explore a more aggressiv idea including B-Splash, works fine too.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

5th at recent SCG Classic:

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    5 Plains
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Wasteland
    3 Karakas

2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Containment Priest
    3 Rest in Peace
    2 Disenchant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Armageddon

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

This interesting list 5-0'd an MTGO League:

2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Angel of Sanctions
    2 Mirran Crusader
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Batterskull
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Karakas
    9 Plains
    4 Wasteland

2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Rest in Peace
    3 Council's Judgment
    1 Holy Light
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

Nov 2006
    London

It's like some ungodly mixture of Death & Taxes and Thalia Stompy.

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    It's like some ungodly mixture of Death & Taxes and Thalia Stompy.

Lol. The above is my list. I built it based off of the list Andrea Mengucci taped here: https://www.channelfireball.com/vide...white-eldrazi/, but made a few changes. I hated the initial manabase and not having access to early removal.

It's kind of been shooting in the dark because there isn't much discussion of this build out there. Have been toying with adding a couple of sanctum prelates. Any thoughts on replacing Crusader with Prelate entirely?

I'm only about a week and a half into Legacy, coming from Eldrazi & Taxes in modern.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yet another 5-0:

3 Blade Splicer
    3 Flickerwisp
    3 Palace Jailer
    2 Restoration Angel
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Batterskull
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Karakas
    8 Plains

2 Cataclysm
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Council's Judgment
    2 Holy Light
    3 Rest in Peace
    3 Trinisphere

May 2015
    Philadelphia

I’ve been playing a similar list with 8 basics and no wastelands. My idea is to be able to consistently cast white spells, dodge opposing wastelands, and play more spells requiring double white.

It feels better against Czech pile (I’m 8-0 is games!) with 3 crusaders and elspeth out of the board; generally just going bigger and wider with diverse threats. This makes sense to me because I feel extremely favored against unfair decks with chalice, Thalia, Karakas, and thorn and I’d like to have some game against grindy mid range decks looking to go to the end game.

I dropped StP from the board with the strategy of never boarding out chalice, except against other stompy decks. Against DnT it blanks their StP and PtE from the side.

The greatest thing for me about the list is the sideboard map. The strategy is very straight forward to me, and g2 across all matchups I have zero dead cards.
    25 LANDS

4 Ancient Tomb

4 Cavern of Souls

3 City of Traitors

4 Eldrazi Temple

3 Karakas

7 Plains

25 CREATURES

3 Eldrazi Displacer

3 Mirran Crusader

2 Palace Jailer

2 Phyrexian Revoker

3 Reality Smasher

4 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Thought-Knot Seer

10 OTHER SPELLS

1 Batterskull

4 Chalice of the Void

3 Lotus Petal

1 Sword of Fire and Ice

1 Umezawa's Jitte

SIDEBOARD

2 Containment Priest

1 Council’s Judgement

2 Disenchant

2 Elspeth, Knight Errant

2 Ethersworn Canonist

2 Faerie Macabre

1 Orzhov Pontiff

1 Holy Light

1 Sword of War and Peace

1 Thorn of Amethyst
    Last edited by contra; 12-07-2017 at 09:41 PM.

25 lands seems like so many. Don't you have flood issues?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Gordoape View Post
    25 lands seems like so many. Don't you have flood issues?
    Mana flooding can occur in any deck. 25 lands is the commonly accepted number, based on extensive tournament play. Your curve and land count can be adjusted slightly up or down based on the cards you run in the flex slots or the sideboard. In general, though, keep these things in mind:

1) This deck has a high curve. You can't keep one-landers and you need to be able to play your spells even after a Wasteland. Three lands + four spells or four lands + three spells is a solid keep in the dark. Chalice of the Void or Thalia are your preferred Turn 1 plays, and you want to make land drops for your first three or four turns.

2) This deck is mana-hungry. Extra mana is beneficial with Eldrazi Displacer, equpping equipment, activating Stoneforge, rebuying Batterskull, holding up Karakas to save a Thalia, etc.

3) Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is symmetrical, so in some matchups you'll be playing more cards that you'll be taxed on, raising your mana curve slightly. Again, a higher land count is beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Mana flooding can occur in any deck. 25 lands is the commonly accepted number, based on extensive tournament play. Your curve and land count can be adjusted slightly up or down based on the cards you run in the flex slots or the sideboard. In general, though, keep these things in mind:

1) This deck has a high curve. You can't keep one-landers and you need to be able to play your spells even after a Wasteland. Three lands + four spells or four lands + three spells is a solid keep in the dark. Chalice of the Void or Thalia are your preferred Turn 1 plays, and you want to make land drops for your first three or four turns.

2) This deck is mana-hungry. Extra mana is beneficial with Eldrazi Displacer, equpping equipment, activating Stoneforge, rebuying Batterskull, holding up Karakas to save a Thalia, etc.

3) Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is symmetrical, so in some matchups you'll be playing more cards that you'll be taxed on, raising your mana curve slightly. Again, a higher land count is beneficial.
    The reason i brought it up is that 25 doesn't seem to be the commonly accepted number for this list. If you look back at the 5-0 decks posted here, I believe they're all running 21, with my list at 23 the highest. Alifromcairo_it was running like 20 lands in some of his 5-0 lists. And this is along with the lotus petals (or moxes) as many accelerant. Agree with the point that the deck can be mana hungry especially if you're playing displacer. However to me, especially without any card selection 25 lands + 3 lotus petals is scary.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

The reason i brought it up is that 25 doesn't seem to be the commonly accepted number for this list. If you look back at the 5-0 decks posted here, I believe they're all running 21, with my list at 23 the highest. Alifromcairo_it was running like 20 lands in some of his 5-0 lists. And this is along with the lotus petals (or moxes) as many accelerant. Agree with the point that the deck can be mana hungry especially if you're playing displacer. However to me, especially without any card selection 25 lands + 3 lotus petals is scary.
    True. Congrats on your success when taking a different path. I don't know if you've been through the full thread here (if you haven't, it might be interesting historical perspective), but 25 lands was the consensus for a while, which I think was cemented after Peter Tragos' good results. Numbers aren't set in stone, though. One change often precipitates another change. Your deck has a lower curve, and it's a stretch to call it the same deck, in my opinion. It's more like Death & Taxes than Eldrazi, but no problem. As long as everyone provides a list, other folks can tailor their suggestions accordingly. This lower-land build eschews the Eldrazi lands and runs more white cards and Chrome Mox. The land count is too low to run Mox Diamond, and the white-card count is higher, so Chrome Mox is slotted in instead. And no Reality Smashers. I tested something similar a long time ago and wasn't happy with it, but if you're winning, then keep doing what you're doing.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Lol. The above is my list. I built it based off of the list Andrea Mengucci taped here: https://www.channelfireball.com/vide...white-eldrazi/, but made a few changes. I hated the initial manabase and not having access to early removal.

It's kind of been shooting in the dark because there isn't much discussion of this build out there. Have been toying with adding a couple of sanctum prelates. Any thoughts on replacing Crusader with Prelate entirely?

I'm only about a week and a half into Legacy, coming from Eldrazi & Taxes in modern.
    Your design is clear if you make your first steps in legacy so far - modern has a lot of more removal since it evolves more about Creatures, while in legacy removal is not bad and sometimes clearly needed you will get enough situations where your removal is pointless and Swords (while one of the best) is super dead (with your own Chalice!) and if you face TNN, Grisel/Emrakul, a flying 20/20 Token etc. Since Legacy is more "un"fair compared to modern, you will quickly need better solutions than 1:1 Spell based Removal in a topdeck-stompy-deck. Displacer is a kind of removal here and one of the best to deal with unfair situations, it gets better with C.Priest or P.Jailer (or Flickerwisp) but dont need anyone - but it needs mana and this is the reason we have a 25(24) manabase too, it will also allow a quicker TKS (since temple counts too) as disruption and the feared Smasher as one of the best attack moves you can play here.

Yes you can skip all the Eldrazi and play a Stompy-DnT shell, but even here Chalice+Swords is not so good (we all have Swords at Side because we switch them with Chalice G2) and something like Palace Jailer worked out as a bomb for DnT users too and should be in if you already use Tombs/Mox Ramp.

But as ESG already said: "but if you're winning, then keep doing what you're doing." so welcome to legacy!
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    Your design is clear if you make your first steps in legacy so far - modern has a lot of more removal since it evolves more about Creatures, while in legacy removal is not bad and sometimes clearly needed you will get enough situations where your removal is pointless and Swords (while one of the best) is super dead (with your own Chalice!) and if you face TNN, Grisel/Emrakul, a flying 20/20 Token etc. Since Legacy is more "un"fair compared to modern, you will quickly need better solutions than 1:1 Spell based Removal in a topdeck-stompy-deck. Displacer is a kind of removal here and one of the best to deal with unfair situations, it gets better with C.Priest or P.Jailer (or Flickerwisp) but dont need anyone - but it needs mana and this is the reason we have a 25(24) manabase too, it will also allow a quicker TKS (since temple counts too) as disruption and the feared Smasher as one of the best attack moves you can play here.

Yes you can skip all the Eldrazi and play a Stompy-DnT shell, but even here Chalice+Swords is not so good (we all have Swords at Side because we switch them with Chalice G2) and something like Palace Jailer worked out as a bomb for DnT users too and should be in if you already use Tombs/Mox Ramp.

But as ESG already said: "but if you're winning, then keep doing what you're doing." so welcome to legacy!
    Thanks for the replies! I'm not bound to my build being correct (it's shown to have some definite matchup weaknesses so far). Death and Taxes and Maverick have been especially tough. On the flipside combo, including reanimator and sneak and show have been a breeze.

With the plows, I just found that the original Alifromcairo_IT list I was running (that had 3 judgements in the main) was folding in a flash to early threats I couldn't answer when I didn't have a chalice on turn 1. It does get blanked sometimes, but is an effective chrome mox pitch and a necessary godsend sometimes when i haven't had the chalice.

I have done a little testing with Palace Jailer and I'm still not sure. It's both won and lost me games.

Funny enough I may be too gunshy about Eldrazi Displacer simply because of Modern. I have never liked the card there in E&T because it always felt way too slow and mana hungry for me. Legacy is a different beast and I am open to trying more of the Eldrazi heavy builds with temples.

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Hey Guys,

I ran a list similar to Tim Turner's SCG Baltimore Classic Top 8, with a couple of sideboard changes. My buddy and I recorded a league that I ran 5-0 with in addition to a Deck Tech. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...eague_footage/

Quote Originally Posted by DudeItsCorey View Post
    Hey Guys,

I ran a list similar to Tim Turner's SCG Baltimore Classic Top 8, with a couple of sideboard changes. My buddy and I recorded a league that I ran 5-0 with in addition to a Deck Tech. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...eague_footage/
    Thanks for running this; I'm only short a few minor cards of being able to run this and I am debating doing it to see. Do you feel like this would have game at a larger event?

Thread Information