Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thalia Stompy

Hybrid View

Thalia Stompy

THALIA STOMPY

Introduction

If you love the cards Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Phyrexian Revoker and Chalice of the Void, this deck is for you!

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Phyrexian Revoker and Chalice of the Void are three of the strongest stompy cards in the format. Thalia Stompy is a deck that aims to disrupt the opponent's game plan using creatures and sphere effects while providing diverse and resilient forms of pressure to close the game quickly.

The cornerstones of the deck are the Thalias alongside Karakas and Cavern of Souls. In a predominantly spell and fetchland format, having either of these creatures in play early on is a must answer threat. The resiliency is found in the redundancy of having many copies, and the common scenario that casting them is uncounterable and removing them is difficult due to the protection from Karakas. The Thalias most frequently win you a match.

Chalice of the Void and Phyrexian Revoker are two of the best prison cards in the format and are perfect fits alongside the Thalias. Stoneforge Mystic is a great sidekick for Thalias. Batterskull beats many decks on its own and first strike creatures are the best at carrying equipment like Umezawa's Jitte.

The Manabase is built around the strategy of landing a turn one card that is very disruptive for your opponent. A possible configuration is to run 4 Ancient Tombs and 3 City of Traitors alongside 3 Mox Diamond.

Rounding out the rest of the deck are Thought-Knot Seer as it is one of the best creatures ever printed and Reality Smasher to provide some larger beats.

Sample Decklist

Lands: 26

6 Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Karakas
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Wasteland

Spells: 10

3 Mox Diamond
    1 Warping Wail
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    4 Chalice of the Void

Creatures: 24

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher

SB: 15

4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Dismember
    2 Warping Wail
    2 Winter Orb

Comparisons with Death and Taxes (DNT):

Let me first say that DNT is one of the best and most resilient decks in the format. Thalia Stompy borrows many of the creatures from that deck that make it great. However a choice has to be made between running Aether Vial and having explosive turn one plays such as Chalice of the Void, Thorn of Amethyst and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. Thalia Stompy is a deck that is trying to go in the other direction and focus on a turn one explosive play.

Match Ups and Sideboarding to come soon.

Rmosto
    Last edited by Rmosto; 04-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: Thalia Stompy

Oh, this looks similar to something I posted in the Conspiracy thread. My list takes advantage of the new card Sanctum Prelate to get turns like:

Turn 1: Land, Mox Diamond, chalice on 1
    Turn 2: Land, Sanctum Prelate, "2"
    Turn 3: Wasteland, Crucible of Worlds

Additionally, the Prelate can name 6 against Miracles. . . .

-----

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Sanctum Prelate
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Crucible
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    2 City of Traitors

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I think Sanctum Prelate may be even better than SFM that most people have been trying in that slot because you can truly lock people out of so much of their deck. Many answers for Chalice are 2CMC.

And if you limit the Eldrazi to just TKS and RS (and maybe Displacer), you can go a little heavier on white sources, too.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    I think Sanctum Prelate may be even better than SFM that most people have been trying in that slot because you can truly lock people out of so much of their deck. Many answers for Chalice are 2CMC.

And if you limit the Eldrazi to just TKS and RS (and maybe Displacer), you can go a little heavier on white sources, too.
    Yeah - Prelate on 1 against delver is basically chalice 5-8 on legs. Prelate on 2 is even cheaper than chalice - and wrecks some decks. Prelate on 6 stop terminus. . .

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Cires list looks ridiculously powerful, I'll try and get some practice games in with friends this weekend and report back.

I think it needs a few more W sources though, Karsten recommends 17-18 iirc. Maybe -2 City -1 Eldrazi Temple -1 Crucible of Worlds + 4 Plains?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Cires list looks ridiculously powerful, I'll try and get some practice games in with friends this weekend and report back.

I think it needs a few more W sources though, Karsten recommends 17-18 iirc. Maybe -2 City -1 Eldrazi Temple -1 Crucible of Worlds + 4 Plains?
    Another option is 4 Flagstones of Trokair, and then experiment with some number of Armageddon?

Also, Cires' list has only 1 card with activated abilities...Wasteland. Sounds like a nice deck to main or side some Suppresion Fields.
    Edit: Karakas too I suppose.
    Edit2: Think I could just seee both 'Geddon and S Field in the side. Flagstones still ok though.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

What is the difference between this and W Eldrazi? or the million eldrazi stompy lists/threads floating around? just the addition of the new thalia?

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    What is the difference between this and W Eldrazi? or the million eldrazi stompy lists/threads floating around? just the addition of the new thalia?
    Well to start, most of the time there is only 4 TKS in the deck...So that is 4 Eldrazi. When Playing this deck my hands almost never have an Eldrazi Spell. What I want to see in my hand is thalia, revoker, cavern, karakas, plains.

Let me list all of the cards in Eldrazi Stompy that this deck does not want to play

Eye of Ugin
    Eldrazi Displacer
    Eldrazi Mimic
    Endless One
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Simian Spirit Guide
    ect..

Roughly 30 cards from typical Eldrazi lists or 50 percent of a deck. I'd say that strategy and focus is a bit different.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    I think White Eldrazi plus New Thalia or Death and Taxes plus Eldrazi deserves a new thread instead of junking up both the Death and Taxes and Eldrazi Threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Those changes sound good!

Edit: another thought - we can take out the Smashers and put in Metamorphs . . . copying Prelate or Thoughtseize turn 3 sounds . . . evil.

I have been optimizing this list for a month straight and just after I write up a primer, minutes later they spoil a new chalice hatebear....Now everything needs to be reevaluated. It is a bit funny actually.

Sanctum Prelate seems very strong and definitely needs consideration. I am very hesitant to remove SFM and the equipment package completely as it wins me countless games against dnt, delver, infect and shardless bug.

The question I find myself asking is: Against which matchups does it improve my win percentage?

Definitely not Miracles, DNT, Storm or Eldrazi. Miracles is defeated using Cavern, Karakas, Chalice, Winder Orb and Thorn of Amethyst (All non creatures). Chalice on 1 is best against DNT. Thalia, Thorn, Chalice and Revoker are all turn one plays in this build that virtually guarantee wins in games 2-3 against Storm. The SFM and Equipment Package is what beats Eldrazi. I think Sanctum Prelate is very good against lands, jund, delver, loam decks. While I love Crucible of World in Vintage, I think it is a bit too slow to be consistent in legacy. What do you guys think? Which matchups does Sanctum Prelate improve? What would you take out?

Perhaps a dumb question, but I'm not afraid to make a fool of myself: other colored stompy decks (notably blue and red variants) play Chrome Mox over Mox Diamond. Why is Mox Diamond better in white stompy? Because the deck is trying to play a slightly longer and grindier game with Crucible shenanigans?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    Perhaps a dumb question, but I'm not afraid to make a fool of myself: other colored stompy decks (notably blue and red variants) play Chrome Mox over Mox Diamond. Why is Mox Diamond better in white stompy? Because the deck is trying to play a slightly longer and grindier game with Crucible shenanigans?
    Nothing that complex, its just that we run 24-26 lands we can discard to Mox Diamond but only around 14-18 cards that we can discard to Chrome Mox

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    Thought-Knot and Displacer are both colorless and won't help fuel Chrome Mox. It's the biggest reason. Having Crucible is another.

Dragon Stompy in particular is much better with Chrome Moxes thanks to them having both a red lock piece (Blood Moon + Magus to pitch if there are multiples) but also red acceleration (Simian Spirit Guide). Green can probably pitch Sylvan Library easily if there is redundancy. Blue has, well...Misthollow Griffin lol that you can play once you don't need the mana? Heh.

Good points; I guess he's more suitable to a shell that soft locks (where you opponent trying to push out of the lock will trigger him and make him valuable) rather than hard lock the opponent (what this deck is essentially trying to do). My main thought by including him is that since this deck is incredibly aggressive (more so than say, normal D&T) the reach he provides seemed useful. Add some life gain that this lists surprisingly appreciate, and we're cooking. But you're right, he may just be too weak overall in the shell.

Playing revoker only matters at your LGS and in games 2 and 3. Playing Revoker turn one game one is a terrible play, generally speaking. Blade Splicer runs away with the game if there is a Blade Splicer out with an active Displacer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jul 2011
    Germany

@Phyrexian Revoker: I have found this guy isn't that bad, even T1 (sure its better too have Chalice/Thalia T1^^), for me it is like playing with "Cabal Therapy" (and i have a lot of experience with this card in builds without Probe!) - sure it is much better if you are at your LGS and are familiar with Players/Meta but if i have no T1 play other than Revoker i may throw him on the battlefield for the common Top or Vial (Blind Therapy also goes: Brainstorm and it hits often), basically Top and Vial are common cards (Miracle/DnT) and you don't want to see them (especially before you can use Chalice). If you miss you still have a 2/1 Turn 1 for beats, since this deck is made for aggressive beatdown afterall. What i liked so far at Revoker, he close the gap between Eldrazi and Human as a colorless Turn 1/2 Mana solution if you can't use the Mana for Chalice/Jitte etc. so with 3 Revoker, 2 Jitte and 4 Chalice you have always something to do with colorless-stompy-mana and if you see what deck your opponent plays, you will also find some targets for revoker even if it isn't crucial.

Conclusion: As always it depends to your hand and you have more than enough other T1 plays with this deck, but Revoker isn't so bad and open with him should be better than wasting a turn, doing nothing in most cases.

@Blade Splicer: If you play him, 3 is a good number. As i wrote i placed 2nd at my first tournament with this deck and i played 2 Splicer+3 Golem. I realised that Splicer is better than Golem (unless you face Combo), 2W Mana is perfect, 2 Bodies is fine (removal/attack/block), a colorless 3/3 with first strike matters against most legacy creatures and the combo with displacer is threatening against most creature based decks. Blade Splicer is also very good vs BGx Decks that are naturally good vs Stompy Shells (like Eldrazi)

Conclusion: If you need a tool vs "fair" decks, Blade Splicer is a good one and i would play 3 Splicer + 3 Golem if this is the preferred deck version. But Splicer without Lodestone will have to fight for his spot, so i think he is only good if you play also Lodestone Golem which (at least for me) means: No Smasher

Note: Sadly for me Lodestone Golem wasn't so good (3 toughness...) vs most creature based decks. It seems the meta has learned (thanks to eldrazi) to deal with 5/5 creatures and afterall Golem is easier to kill. So i switched Golem at most games (vs non Combo/Control) with other Sideboard Cards (like Palace Jailer etc.)

I think i finally developed a "Mono White" Version based on Eldrazi and Humans that is save enough to play in unknown meta games and nearly a streamlined stock list without "brew" ideas. I will post the list the next days to put the choices up for discussion.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Thalia Stompy

Dice, I have trimmed the Golem package, Petals and Cities for +2 Plains, +3 Smasher +2 Sanctum Prelate +1 Displacer +3 Diamond. Side remains the same.

I could see a Jailer over the 4th Displacer or the fourth Revoker, though I will need to test further. Though everyone's results with it looks promising.

Displacer looks mediocre at first but it continues to over perform for me and is the card I want most in fair matchups as a mana sink. However, versions without Splicer / Kavu / main deck SFM do make it look a little more lacklustre and it as 3-of seems reasonable.

Revoker I think is important as additional t1 plays (especially off Tomb), especially as a way to cripple the BUG decks from accelerating with DRS. I have thought about Arbiter though, and I do think trimming Revoker for some is not a bad plan, since they fill the same slot on the curve.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Love the deck, fucking hate Mentor...

How is Prelate treating you?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2011
    Germany

Still not sold on Sanctum Prelate here - Mana can be troublesome (yes you have it vs grindy matchups like miracles, but vs combo you need it ASAP), afterall it's a 2/2 so you can expect on one hand: More Sweepers like Pyroclasm/Kozilek's Return (see BoM Miracle Lists) and on the hand you can't really attack with this guy, most creatures can kill it and Miracle with Flash Clique/Snapcaster can also lead to a blowout. I think Prelate can be strong (and i also made some testgames with him) but once the meta adjust that creature isn't so hot anymore.

Speaking above Miracles - i love this deck - i faced some really nice situations like: Thalia + Karakas on the field vs Blood Moon, my opponent plays Sword, i respond with Disenchant and after Moon was gone i bounced Thalia with Karakas and played it the following turn with Cavern protection again. Or today my opponent made an early entreat for 2 Angels (my board was empty at that time) and i played 1 Palace Jailer (with Cavern), exile 1 Token, draw a card (sitting at 28 life), my opponent also attacked for the monarch token (draw a card), i played my 2nd Jailer for the last token and never lost Monarch again and won with 1 extra card each turn. I hold Jailer at hand for a couple of turns (waiting for stuff like mentor) but i think (if you can prevent Snapcaster counterattacks) it is still good to jam him on to the field if its empty. Mangara was also very good, taxing the mana(karakas) from one opponent each turn or eat a sword (which means one less for Eldrazi&Thalia(s)). Still unsure if i want Mangara or Elspeth vs Miracles, but i really like the ability from Mangara to catch everthing like Moon, Moat, Jace and Mentor and if you have Karakas or Displacer you can combo it out.

About Displacer: I also played around with a lot of cards (like Splicer) that are very good with Displacer, but afterall Displacer itself is strong enough and keep the field in check. Remember that you can protect other creatures with him against spot removal, or you can abuse TKS (counter Miracle, or controll the draws from slow decks with big creatures, permanents or sorcery speed stuff) and finally (and i think he deserves a maindeck spot) you can combo with Jailer. I also found him not bad vs Miracle, since he can control mentor a little bit and can exile Angel tokens.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

I played the list in the link below last weekend, lost my win and in for top8 but the deck feels really strong. I don't like blade splicer and loadstone. Any way here's my take on it and a deck tec by the mkm team.

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...eldrazi-taxes/

Thread Information