Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Thalia Stompy

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Re: Thalia Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by walked View Post
    Thanks for running this; I'm only short a few minor cards of being able to run this and I am debating doing it to see. Do you feel like this would have game at a larger event?
    I see it being another functional version of D&T and that won GP Las Vegas this last year. So yeah, I think the deck has some legs. It top 8 the SCG Classic and that’s a fairly large tournament. I know I plan to run it. Not going to Santa Clara because the Rams are hosting the first round play off game in LA that same weekend, but I do plan to continue to play with this deck up to GP Seattle given there is no extreme shifts in the Meta by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeItsCorey View Post
    I see it being another functional version of D&T and that won GP Las Vegas this last year. So yeah, I think the deck has some legs. It top 8 the SCG Classic and that’s a fairly large tournament. I know I plan to run it. Not going to Santa Clara because the Rams are hosting the first round play off game in LA that same weekend, but I do plan to continue to play with this deck up to GP Seattle given there is no extreme shifts in the Meta by that point.
    Thanks! I'm the legacy seat for the Philly event early next year and am debating between Lands and this. Normally I'm a lands guy but I feel like that could be crazy draining for a team event.

I recently converted full on to the accepted version with 4x displacer, caverns, etc.

With that said I have been losing again and again. I posted a 1-14 streak with my previous version (by far the worst I’ve ever done in MTGO) and then have gone 2-3, 2-3 2-3 with the new deck.

It has me almost frustrated enough to quit legacy entirely. I just dont feel capable of beating the card selection afforded by all of these cantrips. Is it really possible to play a competitive deck in this format without blue?

I expected some growing pains coming into this format from Modern, but it has really been a slog. To be crossing your fingers for the right draws while your opponent is playing brainstorm or ponder has been more frustrating than any of the linearity/on-rails losses of modern.

Hey guys, I've been toying with a new build of this deck I've had little testing almost only against BR Reanimator but with amazing results and the goldfishing has been incredible. I've noticed a few builds on MTGtop 8 that don't run Wasteland at all and other builds that don't run SFM package and came up with an idea. Because one of the weaknesses of the deck IS Wasteland I thought about running main deck Suppression Field. Although you can't run Displacer or SFM package you do get to hate out opposing Wastelands, Fetchlands and other annoying abilities. Griselbrand, SFM, Mom, Aether Vial, all equipment and all planeswalkers etc.. come to mind. Hating out Fetchlands might be the biggest reason to run it as it seems 75% of all top tier decks almost run them exclusively. It gets even crazier in combination with Thalia Cathar for total Fetchland hate. It even puts a damper on opponent's DRS mana ability as there won't be any Fetchlands/Wastelands in the yard in which to activate it. Plus it puts a damper on his other abilities. In multiples Suppression Field awesome as it's ability is cumulative.

Basically this build hates on:
    1). Non-creature spells via Thalia Thraben and Vryn Wingmare
    2). Non-basic lands via Thalia Cathar
    3). 1 drops via CotV
    4). Fetchlands / Wastelands and other activated abilities via Suppression Field

The idea is extreme mana denial rather than fancy tricks with the activated abilities of SFM and Displacer to shut down opponents followed up by smashing face with the raw power of Reality Smasher and Thought Nazi. Vryn Wingmare is the flex slot and I do sometimes feel this needs to be another big beater maybe Endless One or something that can end the game quickly.

Winter Eldrazi & Taxes:

//Beaters: 22
    4x Palace Jailer
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2x Vryn Wingmare
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

//Hate: 8
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Suppression Field

//Quick Mana: 6
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Simian Spirit Guide

//Land: 24
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Battlefield Forge
    2x Cavern of Souls
    2x City of Traitors
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    8x Plains

Any thoughts on this idea? I'm loving it so far.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 12-27-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Gordoape View Post
    Is it really possible to play a competitive deck in this format without blue?
    Yes. Absolutely! I play nonblue decks almost exclusively and have for more than eight years, and my win rate is excellent. Metagaming is important. I will occasionally dip into blue decks, but I prefer nonblue.

It has me almost frustrated enough to quit legacy entirely. I just dont feel capable of beating the card selection afforded by all of these cantrips. ... I expected some growing pains coming into this format from Modern, but it has really been a slog. To be crossing your fingers for the right draws while your opponent is playing brainstorm or ponder has been more frustrating than any of the linearity/on-rails losses of modern.
    You're new, so give it some time. Few people come into this format and start 5-0ing right away. Legacy is very deep, and every play matters. Mulligans and sequencing are important. You usually will be met with multiple options starting from Turn 1 -- well, even before that, with deck choice, your 75 cards, and whether to keep or mulligan. It's possible you've done everything correctly already, but it's significantly more likely that you've been making loads of mistakes that will only become evident when you've spent more time playing the format. That's how it was for most of us. I recommend more reps. Watch clips from people who stream, read forums, playtest with friends, and analyze your games. Also, feel free to pose questions on these boards, such as good/bad hands for matchups or recapping games you won or lost. Improving results is a gradual process.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Yes. Absolutely! I play nonblue decks almost exclusively and have for more than eight years, and my win rate is excellent. Metagaming is important. I will occasionally dip into blue decks, but I prefer nonblue.

You're new, so give it some time. Few people come into this format and start 5-0ing right away. Legacy is very deep, and every play matters. Mulligans and sequencing are important. You usually will be met with multiple options starting from Turn 1 -- well, even before that, with deck choice, your 75 cards, and whether to keep or mulligan. It's possible you've done everything correctly already, but it's significantly more likely that you've been making loads of mistakes that will only become evident when you've spent more time playing the format. That's how it was for most of us. I recommend more reps. Watch clips from people who stream, read forums, playtest with friends, and analyze your games. Also, feel free to pose questions on these boards, such as good/bad hands for matchups or recapping games you won or lost. Improving results is a gradual process.

Appreciate it. I do intend to go back to the drawing board—not giving up on Legacy yet. Had to go farm some tickets in modern first, though. Having only competitive leagues and getting nothing back for 2-3s is rough when you're learning a new format.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    Hey guys, I've been toying with a new build of this deck I've had little testing almost only against BR Reanimator but with amazing results and the goldfishing has been incredible. I've noticed a few builds on MTGtop 8 that don't run Wasteland at all and other builds that don't run SFM package and came up with an idea. Because one of the weaknesses of the deck IS Wasteland I thought about running main deck Suppression Field. Although you can't run Displacer or SFM package you do get to hate out opposing Wastelands, Fetchlands and other annoying abilities. Griselbrand, SFM, Mom, etc come to mind. Hating out Fetchlands might be the biggest reason to run it as it seems 75% of all top tier decks almost run them exclusively. It gets even crazier in combination with Thalia Cathar for total Fetchland hate. It even puts a damper on opponent's DRS mana ability as there won't be any Fetchlands/Wastelands in the yard in which to activate it. Plus it puts a damper on his other abilities. In multiples Suppression Field awesome as it's ability is cumulative.

Basically this build hates on:
    1). Non-creature spells via Thalia Thraben and Vryn Wingmare
    2). Non-basic lands via Thalia Cathar
    3). 1 drops via CotV
    4). Fetchlands / Wastelands and other activated abilities via Suppression Field

The idea is extreme mana denial rather than fancy tricks with the activated abilities of SFM and Displacer to shut down opponents followed up by smashing face with the raw power of Reality Smasher and Thought Nazi. Vryn Wingmare is the flex slot and I do sometimes feel this needs to be another big beater maybe Endless One or something that can end the game quickly. Edit: Mirror Entity really comes to mind.

Winter Eldrazi & Taxes:

4x Palace Jailer
    2x Vryn Wingmare
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Suppression Field

4x Lotus Petal
    2x Simian Spirit Guide

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Battlefield Forge
    2x Cavern of Souls
    2x City of Traitors
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    8x Plains

I was really impressed with the "Angel Stompy" list posted here (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...g-orlov-legacy) and I'm going to be trying out the 4 suppression fields plan this week as well. I'm not sure if hitting deathrite alone is going to be good enough against Delver, but it does seem really strong against D&T, lands, etc.

I was really impressed with the "Angel Stompy" list posted here (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...g-orlov-legacy) and I'm going to be trying out the 4 suppression fields plan this week as well. I'm not sure if hitting deathrite alone is going to be good enough against Delver, but it does seem really strong against D&T, lands, etc.
    Yes, please test Suppression Field. I'm doubtful that it has been fully tested. It hits the table turn one all the time, the question is what to drop first when your opening hand often has some combination of it, Thalias and/or CotV. In almost all cases you want to play CotV if you drew it, but if not Suppression Field is a good choice followed by either of the Thalia's depending on what you're playing against.

As far as DRS in the Delver the match up goes it seems that Suppression Field should be almost equally as impressive as CotV in that a turn one Suppression Field will stop their Wasteland/Fetch strategies and also slow their DRS to the point of unusable. In theory against BUG Threshold a turn one Suppression Field should stop their mana hate (Wasteland) while hating theirs (Fetchlands and DRS). We don't run any of these so this won't affect us. I'll test it tonight and post the results.

It even puts a damper on opponent's DRS mana ability as there won't be any Fetchlands/Wastelands in the yard in which to activate it. Plus it puts a damper on his other abilities. In multiples Suppression Field awesome as it's ability is cumulative.
    DRS is not a mana ability since it targets. Therefore, they cannot even add mana without paying Suppression Field tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    DRS is not a mana ability since it targets. Therefore, they cannot even add mana without paying Suppression Field tax.
    Oh you are right, I overlooked that. Makes it even better.

Okay, so I played 5 rounds against BUG Threshold with the Suppression Field list I posted above except I had Endless One in the Vryn Wingmare slots. I went 2-3. I would like to say that Suppression Field kicked ass but honestly it was countered every time I tried to cast it except once when my opponent had already established a decent mana base. Late game it appears to be a dead card and as with CotV it becomes an Abrupt Decay target. This clearly is not enough testing so I'll test it some more but I think this build of deck needs stronger and/or more finishers or either a stax style soft lock. Also, this is just my build so I don't want to speak for other builds running Suppression Field. I did go 4-1 against BR Reanimator without sideboarding so that particular combo match does feel favorable so far. I will be testing it more and continue to make changes so if anyone has any comments or criticism please feel welcome to chime in on Suppression Field lists.

Current list:

2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Sanctum Prelate
    3x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3x Restoration Angel
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    4x Angel of Sanctions

4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Chrome Mox
    1x Lotus Petal
    2x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Suppression Field
    3x Sylvan Library

4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Cavern of Souls
    3x City of Traitors
    3x Karakas
    1x Plains
    4x Savannah
    4x Windswept Heath

Sideboard:

2x Containment Priest
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    3x Rest in Peace
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Council's Judgement

Attempting to improve on the last list, remaining absolutely lights out against combo but hopefully improving the fair matchups.

-I cut the Gideons for Angels per the Angel Stompy list posted above, since they are significantly easier to cast and can close the game more quickly.
    -Added suppression fields (they've been very good so far). Manabase is very fragile and this is a good hedge against wastelands.
    -Added Sylvan Library and green to support it. I can't do the mono-white thing with zero prospect of card advantage in this format. I also really like this because it gives me another potential game ending turn-1 play. This is a control deck and I don't see how it can survive purely on top decks.

My last list was quite weak to D&T and Maverick, and I hope the suppression fields should improve those matchups significantly.

So far I've had time to run one league and (unfortunately) went 3-2, but I am still improving as a player.

Wins: B/R Reanimator, Big Eldrazi, Elves
    Losses: B/R Renimator, D&T.

This deck has great combo matchups and I would have beat Reanimator with ease if one of my opponents hadn't won turn 1 both times (that’s what the deck does I suppose). Suppression field really shut down elves to give me time to get my chalices. D&T I landed two fields which were very effective, but couldn't draw to a threat before my opponent landed a palace jailer and ran away with the game. Establishing a soft lock and failing to finish is a common trend with this deck, though I was hoping the 7 angels will improve that.

Notably I somehow dodged the nexus of DRS/Force of Will/Brainstorm which seems to be the super-powered boogeyman of this format. I'm still not sure how you beat a deathrite with daze backup on the play, but I think the matchups should be OK. Ratchet bomb is intended there. I really wish that white had a good cheap sweeper outside of holy light, which doesn't kill deathrites and D&T creatures.
    Last edited by Gordoape; 12-28-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Went 3-0 at a Sunday side event at GP Santa Clara, beating UW RIP/Helm, UR Delver and Lands. Can provide further detail if you guys are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Went 3-0 at a Sunday side event at GP Santa Clara, beating UW RIP/Helm, UR Delver and Lands. Can provide further detail if you guys are interested.
    Post list and send nudes.

Winter Eldrazi & Taxes:

4x Palace Jailer
    2x Vryn Wingmare
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Suppression Field

4x Lotus Petal
    2x Simian Spirit Guide

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Battlefield Forge
    2x Cavern of Souls
    2x City of Traitors
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    8x Plains

I'm in love of this idea.. I've tried to modify .. would love to get constructive feedback...

I call it Hu-draz-el Stompy (Human/Eldrazi/Angel)

//Beaters: 24
    1x Angel of Sanctions
    2x Windborn Muse
    1x Vryn Wingmare
    1x Restoration Angel
    2x Eldrazi Displacer
    3x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Suppression Field

//Quick Mana: 4
    4x Chrome Mox

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    8x Plains
    2x Karakas
    2x City of Traitors

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by R3ndr0c View Post
    Post list and send nudes.
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Karakas
    5 Plains
    3 Wasteland

2 Containment Priest
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Reality Smasher

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Rest In Peace
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Holy Light
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass

Check PM for nudes ;)

Edit: Reading cards is hard.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

kinda, you might want to reread Containment Priest
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    kinda, you might want to reread Containment Priest
    Ah...good point.

May 2015
    Philadelphia

I picked this deck back up today and 5-0'ed with this list only losing one match out of 11 total: https://imgur.com/A1H0Ukx

11 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Mox Diamond

24 Creature
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Reality Smasher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Walking Ballista

25 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    3 Karakas
    5 Plains
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Faerie Macabre
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Disenchant
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Warping Wail
    2 Blessed Alliance

BUG Control 2-0
    G1 Not a great match up - he's playing Strix, leovold, jace, and a butt-ton of removal. Although as demonstrated in this game, it's a better matchup when you have thalias and sfms rather than endless ones, mishapers and mimics. an early thalia slows his cantripping down, but Jace vryn's prodigy is slowing down my attacks and later in the game snapping back decays for my displacers. I finally finish with a batterskull I must have replayed 3 times.
    G2 I take my chalices out and bring in my own removal. He plays out all of his deathrites, 2 strixs, and a scooze. Revoker stops deathrite from doing much, and I eventually equip my displacer with a SoFI (MVP all day).

UWB Stoneblade 2-0
    G1 He sets up his SFM with batterskull as do I, but my SFM decides to be a farmer. It's ok, T3 Smasher is better - especially when when T4 you can equip him with SoFI.
    G2 He's trying to do his thing with SFM, but displacer stops germy and jitte. Chalice on 1 presumably shuts off all of his removal.

Grixis Delver 2-0
    G1 he has a delver and deathrite doing 5 dmg every turn and bolts my displacer. I land a TKS and smasher which look like they won't be able to race him until I top deck a revoker to shut down his deathrite and swing in with lethal next turn.
    G2 Multiple thalias, displacers, wastelands, and chalices on 1. He has delver deathrite abrade and ancient grudge. He still can't keep up.

UB Tezzerator 2-1:
    G1 I'm able to land an early SFM and equip SoFI while disrupting him with thalia and an MVP revoker on tezzerat.
    G2 The only round I lost, and it was close. He Tezz ultimates after hiding behind a bridge for 5 or 6 turns. (Drew the disenchant next turn)
    G3 Was similar to G2 in that he had an active Tezz and a bridge stalling me, but this time my ballista is stopping a lethal Tezz Tendrils 4 mana and 1 dmg at a time. My board is humongous with all my equipment, smashers, TKS, thalias ect. and I draw the disenchant to attack past all his dumb blue thopters with a smasher equiped with a SoFI for exactsies.

LED Dredge 2-0:
    G1 was close where he was filling up his graveyard at a decent clip and had 3 Narcos and 2 Ichorids coming back every turn. I had thalia out blocking one ichorid each turn and a smasher who was late to the game. On the critical turn I topdeck another smasher to deal lethal.
    G2 I fan open a containment priest, thalia, smasher, chalice, tomb, cavern, temple. He turn 1 gemstone caverns and passes and I know I've 5-0ed. T1 chalice, flash in containment end of his turn 2 and smasher finishes the job.

Thread Information