Thread: [SCD] Venser, the Sojourner

King of the Cowfish
    Feb 2008
    U.S.

[SCD] Venser, the Sojourner

Venser, the Sojouner
    3UW
    3 Loyalty
    +2 Exile target permanent you own. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
    -1 Creatures are unblockable this turn.
    -8 You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast a spell, exile target permanent.

My guess is that this card will be much like Tezzeret for legacy: a cool card that just doesn't really cut it competitively (Tezzeret is probably better too considering that most U/W decks don't want to spend 5 mana on a card which doesn't really change the game at all). That being said, it is in the best colors for for planeswalkers (Jace/Elspeth), so maybe it would have a place somewhere?

Re: [SCD] Venser, the Sojourner

At 5 mana, the only thing this guy would do in legacy is pitching to FoW.

It, um, gives your manlands vigilance...and, uh...

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Only the -1 is good in this format (the -8 takes too much work, and how many cards will you have in your hand still on turn eight?).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, he does allow you to play more sorceries in your deck but still have mana up on the opponent's turns (+2 your tapped lands).

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Better pic. It looks pretty underpowered right now unless they print something with a pretty powerful CIP.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

What's the source of this image? The abilities don't really seem related at all, so I'm inclined to believe it's just another fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

There's multiple sources and pictures. Its legit. The abilities are kind related, exiling permanents but its not really that good anyway. Probably won't see play in legacy at 5cc.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

So, for EDH's sake, do the emblems stack?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

I'm just not seeing how it would be any good at all. In its current state legacy doesn't really havy anything that would justify this? I'm guessing something will be printed alongside.

pussy head man from outer space
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    What's the source of this image? The abilities don't really seem related at all, so I'm inclined to believe it's just another fake.
    pt amsterdam preview party:
    http://www.planetmtg.de/articles/artikel.html?id=5593
    http://www.planetmtg.de/articles/artikel.html?id=5592

verser sucks...

I see some potential in some sort of controllish decks that don't want their few creatures stolen by Sower of Temptation or Vedalken Shackles, maybe 1 in addition to the usual Jaces and/or Elspeths. Who knows if UW Stax would also like to reset Tangle Wires, update Oblivion Rings to the current game state, or abuse Monoliths more easily, if there are any.

Oct 2004
    UK

This card only makes sense if you are doing something broken with the +2 ability. What do we have in terms of ridiculous 'Enters the Battlefield' triggers?
    Nazdakka

Quote Originally Posted by Nazdakka View Post
    This card only makes sense if you are doing something broken with the +2 ability. What do we have in terms of ridiculous 'Enters the Battlefield' triggers?
    Excluding cards we can't get onto the battlefield for a reasonable cost(cmc<5), it's eternal witness(close to "could work"), loxodon hierarch(sucks), Oblivion ring(irrelevant), Ranger of eos(unnecessary), trinket mage/stoneforge mystic(really weak effect for 5 mana).

Okay, eternal witness would be the best option, but it's still 8 mana combo in three colors that just plainly sucks. It isn't even infinite and needs another cards to work. And it only produces slow card advantage. Oh and it's a planeswalker, so it's hard to tutor for him.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Red Akroma likes this guy too. It's a house in standard, but not so hot in legacy sadly. It's not the 5 mana that's the problem. It's the fact that he doesn't really have many interactions. Now if he could hit opponents stuff, I might like him more.

About the best use I can think of for him in Legacy is to turn off your own Humility for a turn, attack, and then let it go back on. Amusing.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Meh, I see very little potential in this card for Legacy. So little in fact that I question why this is getting it's own thread as opposed to being discussed in the general SOM spoiler thread.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Nazdakka View Post
    Bojuka Bog
    Vendilion Clique
    Kitchen Finks

Glen Elandra Archmage seems good, you get a Negate every turn.
    Blink your Standstill and play something. Sure, your opponent gets instants, but they can't affect the board state very much on their side.
    Combos with Jace for infinite bounce; bounce a guy twice, Jace is at 1, blink Jace, comes back at 3.

etc.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

most definitely worthless in legacy, maybe good in standard.

Venser and Elsepth2 were obviously designed together.

Spew out 3 tokens per turn, turn them unblockable, blow up everything and venser saves himself or another 'walker. Yeah. They are pretty much just making T2 UW control for us...

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Bojuka Bog
    Vendilion Clique
    Kitchen Finks

Glen Elandra Archmage seems good, you get a Negate every turn.
    Blink your Standstill and play something. Sure, your opponent gets instants, but they can't affect the board state very much on their side.
    Combos with Jace for infinite bounce; bounce a guy twice, Jace is at 1, blink Jace, comes back at 3.

etc.
    It works kinda well with Reality Acid, but that card is bad by itself.

Also Eternal Witness. Don't you remember the deck that used to run around cycling things and putting them in and out of play? What was it called... Astral Slide?

Except, of course, that Slide is better, since you can use it as an instant and it only costs 2W.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

FTK? lol what am I talking about.

Thread Information