Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

I imagine Gearhulk + Eldrazi Displacer is going to cause alot of butthurt in Standard.

Dec 2011
    Norway

I fear that new Tezzeret will give Energy and be more or less useless outside Kaladesh block.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Interesting effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Interesting effect.
    [Morbid Curiosity]
    Yeah... you can get burned pretty bad if it's countered, but that's an explosive card if you feed it a delve body, or something else that cheats casting costs like Frogmite, Salvage Titan, Fatestitcher or Ichorid.

GB Eldrich Evolution / Morbid Curiosity with Allosaurus Rider could be silly in modern.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. The gearhulk only hits non-land permanents.
    I assume after desolation angel and how much they hate land destruction, it is never going to happen.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

At the rate they were going, I'm surprised they didn't make gearhusk a 3/2 for 4 that's legendary
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

New Chandra:

Johnny card:

Definitely no returning mechanics like metalcraft.

New Chandra looks quite strong though. Not JTMS, but strong anyway.

Jul 2013
    Texas

New Chandra is a really strong piece for any big red deck. Probably could be played elsewhere too but will require some work.

Metallurgic Summonings then Force is probably never going to happen but would be hilarious. Also Gush in vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Chandra looks pretty strong for a monored walker.

Design-wise, she's pretty much everything that is wrong with red. She has four abilities - and three of them involve direct damage.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Chandra looks pretty strong for a monored walker.

Design-wise, she's pretty much everything that is wrong with red. She has four abilities - and three of them involve direct damage.
    Could not agree more. Sure, she's strong in the vacuum, and may end up replacing her clones in Red Stompy decks in Legacy; but I don't really see what the hype is all about. In standard, there's no "red deck" that she completes. She's a glorified 4 mana burn spell in a format where red's entire role is "deal damage."

Very telling how little design space red has left.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I don't think that she is that strong at all, even though it looks like they wanted to push her power by giving her 4 abilities. Her firsts +1 is typical Chandra, and the mana ability feels like it would be about as applicable as the one xenagos had, I would say something like Koths mana ability is much more relevant. Her 'removal' is really expensive, and is conditional (most of the time it wont even kill goyf, let alone angler or any big targets).

The limited design space is because red's identity has pretty much been relegated to burn, big dragons, and wacky effects. Fast mana and land destruction cards are two things WOTC doesnt want, and the power level of aggressive cards are pretty much been dialed in which leaves little to be explored in those aspects. Hopefully with the artifact set (and dwarves) we will get to see something new.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The limited design space is because red's identity has pretty much been relegated to burn, big dragons, and wacky effects. Fast mana and land destruction cards are two things WOTC doesnt want, and the power level of aggressive cards are pretty much been dialed in which leaves little to be explored in those aspects. Hopefully with the artifact set (and dwarves) we will get to see something new.
    Red has copy effects, flashback, artifact reanimation, token stuff, and looting. Even past Chandra planeswalkers had a bit more variety. Chandra's one-dimensionality issues seem to bet getting worse though.

If Chandra does turn out to be playable in legacy, it will be in a very narrow way. Most decks can also play JTMS which is just plain better.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

If Chandra does turn out to be playable in legacy, it will be in a very narrow way. Most decks can also play JTMS which is just plain better.
    Also if you're playing a multicolored deck its easier to splash a third color and go for Nahari instead of committing to heavy red.

Something that I missed: Wispweaver Angel doesn't have the 'no angels' clause that Restoration Angel does, so it allows for janky infinite ETB trigger combos off stuff.

Edit:
    For example:
    Eldrich Evolution (X>=4) + Fork -> Dualcaster Mage, Wispweaver Angel (bounce dualcaster), Purphoros, God of the Forge, Wispweaver Angel

There's probably also going to be a 3-card combo with that Panharmonium thing.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Red has copy effects, flashback, artifact reanimation, token stuff, and looting. Even past Chandra planeswalkers had a bit more variety. Chandra's one-dimensionality issues seem to bet getting worse though.

It's all about the story. Chandra is basically cast as an angsty teen with a built-in flamethrower. You can see in Daretti, for example, how other red planeswalkers have more "creative" abilities thanks to their role in the story.

I think this card is good but I don't think it's flexible (at least in Legacy), thanks to the 2RR. Any big red deck loves this thing for drawing cards and providing a slight mana boost to get to the next level of the curve or do two things in a turn. Maybe a combo deck has it as a secondary win condition. But I can't see another kind of deck getting more out of it than any other 4 cmc planeswalker.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think the new Chandra is something better suited to Modern than Legacy. Something like Modern Jund, or a bigger mana Grixis Control deck (since there is no JTMS) perhaps even Cruel Control. Consider the following line that doesn't seem totally out of the realm of possibility with Cruel Ultimatum: manage early threats with Bolt/Terminate, play Chandra turn 4, kill a creature (perhaps a medium 'Goyf), have her live to your next turn, make 5th land drop, add double Red, cast Cruel Ultimatum as long as your duals were on point.

Red in Legacy is just too good at being low to the ground to really want a four-mana Planeswalker, at least generally. Perhaps Jund might want one or two out of the board for grindy match-ups like Miracles. She does have the added "bonus" of not being tagged by REB/'Blast and easier to cast if they Blood Moon you. Still not sure there is a deck that isn't Mono-Red that is really looking for this.

Perhaps this is an actual reason to run Dega? Probably still much better in Modern though, honestly. I recently saw a Dega control deck make a Modern top 8, I'd bet you want this in there as a follow up to Lili, even though after is pretty rough.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I think the new Chandra is something better suited to Modern than Legacy.
    Yeah, this about sums it up. I doubt she'll see much Legacy play, but she's going straight in my Modern Skred list.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

New Chandra is the best red planeswalker, and what? Not flexible? It draws cards, makes mana, does damage to creatures and also players. But, as it is inherently a burn card or a control card, does it do either of these things better than existing options? Probably not. But she is so flexible that I might makes something for her.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Which new Chandra . I'm so confused. . . . are there two Chandra's in one set?

Thread Information