Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

Re: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Storyline guesses:
    Dovin Baan gets word of some terrorists plotting against the World's Fair. He sends out the bat-signal and the Gatewatch come running. Turns out the leaders of the terrorist group are one, or both, of Chandra's parents. They reach out to Chandra who then convinces the Gatewatch that a regime-change is necessary, or she just works in secret to assist her folks.

Am I doing it right? I forgot to work the Eldrazi in there somehow...
    At this point, it's basically one of the last lines from a recent superhero movie.

"Now that we have saved this world from this [insert disaster], we are going to be noticed by [insert next threat]! We need to form a [insert team name]!"

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    There has been "clamoring" from the "community" for a UR "Artifacts matter" Planeswalker.
    I believe the community (read: filthy casuals) has been clamoring for a / artifact themed Legendary creature for EDH purposes.

I will give props to Wizards on that front though. Recently they have given us:
    • a commander with CMC3 for Tiny Leaders (is that still a thing?)
    • a legendary Werewolf in / for EDH
    • a / Werewolf Planeswalker to go in the legendary Werewolf EDH deck.

The only other thing, besides reprinting Damnation, that I've seen a lot of complaining about is the lack of / artifact-matters Commander. And here is the perfect set for one.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I believe the community (read: filthy casuals) has been clamoring for a / artifact themed Legendary creature for EDH purposes.
    Bleh, yeah, you're right. Goes to show you how much I've really been paying attention. But this guy is a 'Walker though, so he can't be it. I guess maybe he won't be UR?

Or perhaps a repeat of SOI? Arlin in Shadows and then the Legendary Werewolf in Moon. I could see it, gotta sell that second set somehow.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Unrelated, is there a story reason we haven't gone back to Lorwyn? I'm awful at keeping on top of the story.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Unrelated, is there a story reason we haven't gone back to Lorwyn? I'm awful at keeping on top of the story.
    None, the plane wasn't very well-received according to marketing.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

So Saheeli Rai is confirmed as a which would seem to mean that Dovin Baan is possibly not even Blue? There's never been a non-Blue Vedalken though, so how many Blue 'Walkers are they planning to print this block?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    None, the plane wasn't very well-received according to marketing.
    Lame. It's probably my favorite block after Dominia.

Dovin Baan is a Vedalken 'Senior Inspector' for Kaladesh's World's Fair.

Next we will have a Dwarf 'Junior Accountant' at the Ravnica Bureau of Tax Evasion.

The card will probably suck but I like that art. Maybe mono-Blue? Or UW? The art is so heavy on UR though, but why would would an inspector be Red?
    Because based on the cards seen in Origins, Ghirapur's a red (eventually izzet) thing.

Am not sure how reliable the info about Saheeli Rai being an Izzet PW is. Mainly because this picture is apparently taken from a mobile phone game, game which took numerous freedom regarding the port of MtG as PuzzleQuest game. [Nota: it is not a bad game, but paper and digital cards can be really different]
    Side note, I'd be really happy to see a proper, good, Legacy-worth UR planeswalker. Ral Zarek got us hyped for nothing (still no Zarek-Stasis out there) & Dak Fayden made us dream a tinsy bit but there's still no deck able to take full advantage of it.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Art looks pretty promising

Although I have no idea why the Protoss are on Kaladesh.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Elves?! Dualcolor lands?!

Ok, enough to doom it not instantly
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Elves?! Dualcolor lands?!

Ok, enough to doom it not instantly
    You forgot, possibly Dwarves!

Incoming Dwarven Weaponsmith reprint boys, gird your loins!

Looking through the art for the set, I had a thought. Would Wizards do another color-centric set like Torment? Could Kaladesh (despite being the homeworld of Chandra) be both an artifact matters set and also more blue tinged? Or is it just because the stuff I've seen so far has been focused on one part of the plane that feels heavily flavored towards blue?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

I will give props to Wizards on that front though. Recently they have given us:
    • a commander with CMC3 for Tiny Leaders (is that still a thing?)
    • a legendary Werewolf in / for EDH
    • a / Werewolf Planeswalker to go in the legendary Werewolf EDH deck.

The only other thing, besides reprinting Damnation, that I've seen a lot of complaining about is the lack of / artifact-matters Commander. And here is the perfect set for one.
    Pia Nalaar says hi. :D

Quote Originally Posted by kirkusjones View Post
    Looking through the art for the set, I had a thought. Would Wizards do another color-centric set like Torment? Could Kaladesh (despite being the homeworld of Chandra) be both an artifact matters set and also more blue tinged? Or is it just because the stuff I've seen so far has been focused on one part of the plane that feels heavily flavored towards blue?

They don't do gimmick sets like torment anymore. All sets will have equal color distribution

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Chandra, Torch of Defiance is the new Chandra, only the art and name are spoiled so far. Should we start taking bets on if she is the worst Chandra yet? I have doubt that she can really be better than Chandra, Flamecaller which is already in Standard.

EDIT: Also, Dwarves are confirmed on Kaladesh in this story.
    Last edited by H; 08-31-2016 at 01:20 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Chandra, Torch of Defiance is the new Chandra, only the art and name are spoiled so far. Should we start taking bets on if she is the worst Chandra yet?
    As far as MtG modern art is concerned, I actually think that will look badass in PW-card form!

If she is any good (which I'm reading as Legacy-playable) will be determined by if they go big (like Flamecaller) or small (like Liliana of the Veil).
    For a planeswalker to break in to Legacy, it pretty much has to cost 3 mana, or cost 4 mana and be close in power to Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

If they make her 3 mana and follow this format:

+x> Card advantage
    -x> Protect herself
    -X> Win the game

...then she'll reach the high bar Legacy sets.
    Time will tell, but so far I approve of the art and the card name.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

EDIT: Also, Dwarves are confirmed on Kaladesh in this story.
    ABOUT FUCKING TIME

I was wondering when we'd come back around to those little bastards. Odyssey's attempt to tribalize them was pitiful; let's hope Kaladesh can do them solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

As far as MtG modern art is concerned, I actually think that will look badass in PW-card form!

If she is any good (which I'm reading as Legacy-playable) will be determined by if they go big (like Flamecaller) or small (like Liliana of the Veil).
    For a planeswalker to break in to Legacy, it pretty much has to cost 3 mana, or cost 4 mana and be close in power to Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

If they make her 3 mana and follow this format:

+x> Card advantage
    -x> Protect herself
    -X> Win the game

...then she'll reach the high bar Legacy sets.
    Time will tell, but so far I approve of the art and the card name.
    Indeed, the art is great, easily Chandra Ablaze or this could be the best.

One issue with nearly every version of Chandra is the very limited usefulness of the plus ability. On the ones with good plus abilities, it often fails to align well with the CMC to yield something powerful. Consider each:

Chandra Ablaze (+1 isn't terrible, but isn't very good either due to the Red clause. Zero isn't great due to giving you opponent cards. -7 is actually pretty great, but CMC 6 is just a killer)
    Chandra Nalaar (+1 is awful. -X is actually pretty decent, since she has starting loyalty, -8 is good, but at CMC 5, this one just isn't amazing by any stretch.)
    Chandra, Flamecaller (+1 is great, easily the best plus on any Chandra. Zero is a Wheel plus one, which is actually pretty decent. -X is interesting, but not really game winning. Problem here is CMC 6 of course. This might be the best Chandra overall.)
    Chandra, Pyromaster (+1 is not very good, but the "can't block" clause could have value sometimes. Zero is actually very good. -7 is decent, kind of random, but should win you the game most of the time. I think this is the best attempt to make an highly playable Chandra and is probably the most playable outside Standard, with a single Red CMC of 4. The +1 really holds this one back though, if only it said "can't attack or block until your next turn.")
    Chandra, Roaring Flame (This one is actually pretty good, +1 could actually win you a game on an empty or stalled board, -2 is a bit steep but still OK, -7 should win you the game. Problem here, of course, is that this is a flip creature. If this was just a regular Planeswalker at CMC 3, it'd be pretty amazing, but that is pretty obvious.)
    Chandra, the Firebrand (+1 is terrible, -2 is OK to maybe good, but is really too contingent on having Instants or Sorceries in your hand. -6 is pretty meh and might not even win a game.)

So, I think the biggest problem with Chandra is the disjunction of "powerful" abilities with "low enough" CMCs for playability. Also, ironically enough, most of the "better" Chandras are terrible at protecting themselves, which is pretty funny when you think about the fact that she is a FIRE MAGE.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ABOUT FUCKING TIME

I was wondering when we'd come back around to those little bastards. Odyssey's attempt to tribalize them was pitiful; let's hope Kaladesh can do them solid
    Saddle up your Dwarven Pony and hide your Goblins of the Flarg!

I am actually curious though if any might be strong enough to get Dwarven Recruiter banned. Unlikely, but maybe eventually.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

The three upcoming Planeswalkers:

Chandra

Dovin Baan

Saheeli
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information