Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

bruizar

Re: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    And it works...surprisingly well with regular affinity. Frogmite + Enforcer makes this beastie free right?

Edit: Nevermind, didn't read the "noncreature artifacts" clause.
    Arcum dagsson into Possessed Portal or Darksteel Forge, then drop this for free. 😎

Auto include for EDH decks

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Well, you can power it out on T2 with 2 Sol lands and 2 Grim Monoliths....
    Yeah, there's a question of how much you want to invest in utility artifacts. There's also the issue that he's neither evasive nor protected.

Are there any decks that want to board wipe themselves with the sacrifice ability?

Neat card, but unlikely to be legacy material.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yeah, there's a question of how much you want to invest in utility artifacts. There's also the issue that he's neither evasive nor protected.

Are there any decks that want to board wipe themselves with the sacrifice ability?

Neat card, but unlikely to be legacy material.
    Indeed, without even Tample he seems pretty poor. It's not even clear that this is any better than Mycosynth Golem, at least to me.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Indeed, without even Tample he seems pretty poor. It's not even clear that this is any better than Mycosynth Golem, at least to me.
    Well, he's a much faster clock, I guess...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Well, he's a much faster clock, I guess...
    Yeah, but is harder to cast cheaply/doesn't help cast anything else. I wouldn't play either in a real competative deck, but at least Golem has implications for EDH where this new guy doesn't (I don't think, at least).

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013
    France

Sphere effects make him cheaper to cast which can be interesting for Vintage MUD or maybe Legacy Stax ?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Magic Christmas land would be . . . idk . . .

1) Sol Land + Mox --> Trinisphere
    2) Land --> Smokestack
    3) Metalwork Collusus

?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post

2) Land --> Smokestack
    3) Metalwork Collusus

?
    4) Hope they don't play Swords to Plowshares.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

2) Land --> Smokestack
    3) Metalwork Collusus

?
    1) Sol, Grim Monolith, Mox Opal, 3 Ball.
    2) Sol, Stax, whatever?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    1) Sol, Grim Monolith, Mox Opal, 3 Ball.
    2) Sol, Stax, whatever?
    Best random Stax type deck I can come up with is this shitty list. . . yeah it's pretty bad

4 Metalwork Colossus

4 Batterskull
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Ghirapur Orrery
    4 Smokestack
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Grim Monolith

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Other?

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Because they aren't appreciably increasing the available supply so this will have little to no impact on the secondary market for those cards?

Just look at the prices on Zendikar fetches. Every one of them except Misty is higher now than before BFZ, and none of them significantly dropped after it came out. The masterpieces are cool and all, but it's fairly obvious that this is more about moving packs, and I think that's fine. Hasbro wants to make money just like every other corporation, and I'd rather the chase cards be reprints than more stupidly overpowered mythics. My only concern is that they'll use these as an excuse to do fewer real reprints because it allows them to appease the community while maintaining the reprint equity of those cards.

Edit: I don't see how these affect buyouts either, except maybe when the set is still being printed. If you bought up all the Tarns now and for some strange reason didn't buy the expeditions too, worst case you're capped at the price of the expedition versions. If by some miracle the expedition version does not also increase in price, that's a measly 200% increase!
    Using Modern staples is a bad example because Modern is growing faster than these could have affected the supply. A better example would be Forbidden Orchard, where if you look at the price trend it was growing steadily and then flattened out around BFZ.

Posting just because, I like that Perpetual Timepiece spoiler. Makes more sense (if any) in LED Dredge, but it feels like they made an anti-hate card for graveyard decks. Mill, and gy protection. Gimmick card is gimmick, but appreciated. Tempted to run it in Manaless Dredge, because I am obtuse and lulz.

Long live Tymaret, the Murder King

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Best random Stax type deck I can come up with is this shitty list. . . yeah it's pretty bad

4 Metalwork Colossus

4 Batterskull
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Ghirapur Orrery
    4 Smokestack
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Grim Monolith

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Other?

Yeah
    Why not Mycosynth Golem AND Metalwork Collossus? If you drop Mycosynth, Metalwork is basically free
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Let's add +1 to every number on Tormenting Voice aside from the mana cost, and see if anyone notices!

At some point, R1 for a Draw 3 has to be playable right? RIGHT? RIIIIIGHT?

My inclination was more toward a `semblance anvil` combo build.

Metalwork Colossus
    Paradoxical Outcome

Ethersworn Cannonist
    Helm of Awakening

Thirst for Knowledge

Grim Monolith

Sensei's Divining Top

Ichor Wellspring
    Pentad Prism
    Tsabo's Web

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Why not Mycosynth Golem AND Metalwork Collossus? If you drop Mycosynth, Metalwork is basically free
    I guess the serious answer is that the Golem is uncastable in the deck, you'll never have enough artifacts out (like 3-4 at most) to power it out while Collossus seems to usually cost around 4 or less around turn 3). Again, though, I too think it's unplayable in a good or mediocre legacy deck - but it is an interesting effect and I'm happy to have wizards putting out so many cards that get me brewing fun little lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I guess the serious answer is that the Golem is uncastable in the deck, you'll never have enough artifacts out (like 3-4 at most) to power it out while Collossus seems to usually cost around 4 or less around turn 3). Again, though, I too think it's unplayable in a good or mediocre legacy deck - but it is an interesting effect and I'm happy to have wizards putting out so many cards that get me brewing fun little lists.
    No, the serious answer is that COLOSSUS DOES NOT COUNT ARTIFACT CREATURES. It only counts non-creature artifacts.

Colossus has some things going for it, but I don't think it's better than alternatives in artifact-heavy decks. I dare say it is A Bad Card (tm).

First, the positives:

1. If you play other expensive artifacts (Smokestack and.... that's about it, folks) then this curves nicely. Smokestack generating 4 mana is pretty nifty.
    2. You can recur him back to your hand by sacrificing artifacts. Thats nice.

Now, the negatives:

1. This is win-more to the extreme. He's only cheap to cast if you've flooded the board with non-creature artifacts. If you've done that, and that's your deck's goal in life, why are you not winning already? Wouldn't you rather run Lodestone Golem or Eldrazi to keep up the disruption while also being a win condition? When's the last time Su-Chi or Juggernaut saw play, eh?

2. Chump block'n for days. In a world with token creatures (moreso in Vintage) or cheap dorks (every deck in Legacy that isn't Show and Tell, Miracles, or Storm) Colossus just steps on 2/xs like an idiot while your opponent looks for a Swords to Plowshares.

3. Even taking advantage of the recurring feature supposes you still have lots of artifacts out there to (a) sacrifice and (b) fuel his casting cost. Again, if you've got a bunch of artifacts out there, Why Are You Not Winning? Did You Build A Bad Deck?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    No, the serious answer is that COLOSSUS DOES NOT COUNT ARTIFACT CREATURES. It only counts non-creature artifacts.
    Yeah, we know, but Mycosynth Golem gives him Affinity for Artifacts, so he would have two cost reducers.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Let's add +1 to every number on Tormenting Voice aside from the mana cost, and see if anyone notices!

At some point, R1 for a Draw 3 has to be playable right? RIGHT? RIIIIIGHT?
    If you have the mana and cards it's fun with Geistblast or other spell copy effects - we might see that in standard. Also a contender for modern dredge. Legacy madness decks aren't a thing, and, I think, dredge decks have better options.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Yeah, we know, but Mycosynth Golem gives him Affinity for Artifacts, so he would have two cost reducers.
    Okay fine but Colossus still trips over 1/1 Monk tokens instead of actually ending the game.

Thread Information