Thread: What Legacy archetype would stand the best chance in the current Vintage meta & why?

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

What Legacy archetype would stand the best chance in the current Vintage meta & why?

:-)

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: What Legacy archetype would stand the best chance in the current Vintage meta & w

Eldrazi, I guess. A friend of mine played regular Legacy Eldrazi in a MKM Vintage Main Event and made Top8 with it.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: What Legacy archetype would stand the best chance in the current Vintage meta & w

you can also try merfolk. it won eternal extravaganza a few years ago in philly.
    -rob

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Eldrazi, I guess. A friend of mine played regular Legacy Eldrazi in a MKM Vintage Main Event and made Top8 with it.
    Yep, powerless eldrazi decks have been become a thing in vintage. There were a few lists that top 8'd EE 4.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...eldrazi#online

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Still trying to make an enchantress list. It's probably awful though
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Legacy Eldrazi and Vintage Jacodrazi are almost identical so if we're strict with how close the decks have to be, Eldrazi is almost certainly the winner.

If we're less strict, the lines between decks is a lot more blurry. The difference between ANT and TPS is mostly legacy banned cards. If I'm allowed to slot those in, then they're basically the same deck. The same thing applies to Legacy RUG Delver / Vintage UR Delver and Legacy Staxx vs Vintage Workshops.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

I've heard rumblings of Legacy Lands + Null Rod…losing mox diamond really hurts, there must be something else going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Delver is the dark horse right now.

Eldrazi and it's many variants are all solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

You can play Fish unpowered too. It is not perfect, but you often see Fish winning without drawing power. It is very close to the same deck from Legacy, only it does not run Vial and Waterfront Bouncer is a must.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Yeah I think I remember an unpowered BUG Delver making Top8 at Ovinogeddon Legacy at some point.

Other from what people mentioned, a crazy fast all-in combo deck like Spanish Inquisition might also be ok. Not really good since you're a dog to Blue and Eldrazi, but not completly horrible like some other Legacy decks. You do win the dice roll vs Eldrazi 50% of games anyways.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Other from what people mentioned, a crazy fast all-in combo deck like Spanish Inquisition might also be ok. Not really good since you're a dog to Blue and Eldrazi, but not completly horrible like some other Legacy decks. You do win the dice roll vs Eldrazi 50% of games anyways.
    A few months ago I jammed some Shops vs Legacy Belcher games. It was about 50:50. I also played Belcher vs Oath, and as expected vs Force of Will, my win rate plummeted.

A buddy of mine accidentally brought Legacy Burn to a Vintage event and went 2:2 with it. Eidolon can catch people with their pants down, I guess.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah I think I remember an unpowered BUG Delver making Top8 at Ovinogeddon Legacy at some point.

Unfortunately the card mental misstep exists
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

If you could literally register the Legacy version, some version of Storm combo might work.

Of course, multiple cards are restricted...

If I could play 4 LED but no black lotus or yawg's win I think that's your best shot in vintage. You don't have moxen, but you have petals and chrome mox if you TES it up. 4 Brainstorm and 4 demonic tutor. I think the deck could easily compete with powered vintage decks no sweat. But yeah with just 1 LED, 1 petal, 1 brainstorm and some bad replacement cards you're in big trouble.

I'd go with eldrazi. Unpowered eldrazi is something I would almost bet on making top 8 this year at vintage champs or at least winning the unpowered prize.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

No one ever expects the........

Oct 2008
    Studio City, CA

Small field but
    Both unpowed Merfolk and Grixis pyro T8'd our July 21 player sanctioned vintage tournament against a field of powered decks
    webmaster@knight-ware.com
    http://www.knight-ware.com

Legacy FNM's every Friday at 7pm,
    Store Credit tournaments 2nd Sunday of each Odd numbered Month
    Some kind of Staples tournament 2nd Sunday of each Even numbered Month

3rd Sunday of most months is Uncanctioned Vintage and Casual Day
    93/94 OldSchool, Vintage, Legacy, PreModern, Pauper, EDH, ...
    I can do rounds for any format that wants it.

4th Sunday of the month is PreModern

Thread Information