Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

The desert oasis of Amonkhet forges warriors. You have trained your entire life for a chance to face the Trials of the Five Gods and join the elite ranks of the Worthy. Using your strength, speed, and cunning, overcome deadly challenges and rise above the competition to claim an honored place in the Afterlife!
    Set Name: Amonkhet

Block: Amonkhet

Number of Cards: 264

Prerelease Events: April 22-23, 2017

Release Date: April 28, 2017

Launch Weekend: April 28-30, 2017

Game Day: May 19-21, 2017

Magic Online Prerelease Events: May 5, 2017

Magic Online Release Date: May 8, 2017

Pro Tour Date: May 12, 2017

Official Three-Letter Code: AKH

Twitter Hashtag: #MTGAKH

Languages Available: English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

MSRP: $3.99
    So they finally got around to an Egyptian themed set. Neat. Just hope it is a little better (Eternal wise) than just Theros 2.0.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

The more interesting part about the announcement was that Nicol Bolas rules the plane instead of just sitting on his ass.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

INB4 Damnation reprint!

---------------------
    Edit:
    Huh... Looks like Nicol Bolas and some other walkers get new art:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizards
    Nicol Bolas is among the most powerful beings in the Multiverse–don't face him alone! Much like the original Archenemy release, Archenemy: Nicol Bolas pits you and two friends against a single powerful foe where you must work together to survive–or fall to Nicol Bolas himself.

The set contains four 60-card decks (with no new card content), four non-premium planeswalker cards with new art, and a 20-card scheme deck containing 20 all-new, unique schemes. Playable right out of the box without any additions!
    Source

2nd set of Amonkhet block is Hour of Devastation

Source

Oh, and Modern Masters 3. Will contain reprints from Eighth Edition through M14.

Source

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The more interesting part about the announcement was that Nicol Bolas rules the plane instead of just sitting on his ass.
    Possibly also a new Bolas 'Walker being printed? That will probably be in the later set though.

The mention of Gods certainly puts the possibility of Theros style Gods returning on the table. Interesting about the mention of The Afterlife as a key point. Perhaps some kind of new Haunt mechanic or hopefully something better. Perhaps cards that have a function while Exiled?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    INB4 Damnation reprint!
    Please, let's only discuss things that are actually possible,

I bet Elspeth comes backs. She went to the underworld in Greek world, so it seems perfect to come back from the underworld in Egyptian world... Along with super-pushed Bolas card.

More God cards seem a shoe-in, maybe without devotion though.

What else screams Egypt?

Mummies?
    Pyramids?
    Chariots?
    Crocodiles?
    Shaven body hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    What else screams Egypt?
    There are early cards that specifically reference Egypt, though I think they're all on the reserved list, and WotC has done a bunch of stuff that's very Egyptian under the aegis of 'generic fantasy'.

Gods with animal heads (i.e. Ra, Anubis, Bastet, Set, Heqet, and so on) and the corresponding animals (hawks, frogs, jackals, shas, and cats). Sphinxes, scarabs, obelisks, pyramids, reed boats, the Nile, and snakes also come to mind. There's also the North Africa stuff which features a lot of what we'd consider to be generic desert and coastal themes.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

MtG: Stargate: SG confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Ahhh. Dragons... That most important of creatures in the Egyptian mythology.

The long awaited return of...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    The long awaited return of...
    Indeed, since Mummies are now Zombies and Zombies seem to be the "default" Black tribe, I think that seeing Mummies in Amonkhet is as close to a lead pipe lock as we could come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Indeed, since Mummies are now Zombies and Zombies seem to be the "default" Black tribe, I think that seeing Mummies in Amonkhet is as close to a lead pipe lock as we could come up with.
    Shockingly few true "Mummies" in Magic. I assume, sadly, that they will all simply add to the Zombie tribe.

Desert reprint, anyone? WRECK that Limited!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Shockingly few true "Mummies" in Magic. I assume, sadly, that they will all simply add to the Zombie tribe.

Desert reprint, anyone? WRECK that Limited!
    Unless they decide to change it again, but I can't see it happen, then all this "new" tribe has no support from any older cards. We'll just have to accept our new (old) Zombie-Pharaoh overlords.

If Nicol Bolas isn't common, then he isn't the theme

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Shockingly few true "Mummies" in Magic.
    Mother of Runes reprint confirmed.

Nov 2014
    Italy

Wizard: "Whe have listened to the old players demands about the reserved list, and how this list prevented them from playing with the cards they love in the eternal formats. That's why I'm proud to announce that Pyramid will been taken off the reserved list and it will be reprinted in this set.
    Please do rejoice in a composed manner."
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Apr 2011
    Germany

Egyptian mythology as theme could be great. Enough of the Alien and Technology stuff and back to good old fantasy and mythology!

Wegde theme would be nice, since Nicol Bolas is notoriously Grixis.
    A new take on Theros-style Gods would be crazy, although Theros isn't that long ago.

I just hope Nicol Bolas won't be just killed off with a fingersnap by the childish Gatewatch like Ulamog, Kozilek and Emrakul with spoiling the story event cards way too soon! :/

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Since we know these "Masterpiece" reprints will all be themed and in every new set, I wonder what they might be for this coming block.

Since BFZ had Lands (Zendikar-Land connection would be obvious) and now Kaladesh is Artifacts, I wonder where they will be taking it in this new set? Perhaps Creatures, a la, the tag line "the desert oasis of Amonkhet forges warriors?" Returning powerful Creatures as "elite ranks of the Worthy?"

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Since we know these "Masterpiece" reprints will all be themed and in every new set, I wonder what they might be for this coming block.

Since BFZ had Lands (Zendikar-Land connection would be obvious) and now Kaladesh is Artifacts, I wonder where they will be taking it in this new set? Perhaps Creatures, a la, the tag line "the desert oasis of Amonkhet forges warriors?" Returning powerful Creatures as "elite ranks of the Worthy?"
    I'm gonna go with non-reserved list reprints from Arabian Nights and Mirage/Visions.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I'm gonna go with non-reserved list reprints from Arabian Nights and Mirage/Visions.
    While flavorful, what would be any sort of a draw there? The most valuable cards in the set that aren't on the Reserve List is Erhnam Djinn and Oubliette which is fine, but Erham sees absolutely no play (and has been printed numerous, numerous times) except in Old School, while Oubliette does, but only for Pauper.

It gets worse in Mirage, where Enlightened Tutor is the highest value non-Reserve List card, which isn't really all that exciting, but you do see the other top-deck tutors there.

Visions doesn't get too much better, with Vampiric Tutor, Natural Order but there is a precipitous drop off after, all the way to Desertion which is pretty bad.

I feel like we'll see a bunch of Egytpian themed reprints of Dark Confidant and others like that, although which others (maybe even Tarmogyf?) I can't think of off-hand.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Serendib Efreet perhaps? Wildfire Emissary? Desert?

While flavorful, what would be any sort of a draw there? The most valuable cards in the set that aren't on the Reserve List is Erhnam Djinn and Oubliette which is fine, but Erham sees absolutely no play (and has been printed numerous, numerous times) except in Old School, while Oubliette does, but only for Pauper.

It gets worse in Mirage, where Enlightened Tutor is the highest value non-Reserve List card, which isn't really all that exciting, but you do see the other top-deck tutors there.

Visions doesn't get too much better, with Vampiric Tutor, Natural Order but there is a precipitous drop off after, all the way to Desertion which is pretty bad.

I feel like we'll see a bunch of Egytpian themed reprints of Dark Confidant and others like that, although which others (maybe even Tarmogyf?) I can't think of off-hand.

Thread Information