Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

The real bonus is that you can Fetch them. That alone is what caught my eye. While when you are going for maximum draw efficiency they are not optimal, having another fetch target I feel is a powerful enough effect I want one. Since I play two Tranquil Thicket now, I do not mind playing a split with Sheltered.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Damn. Wizards really blue balled all of us waiting for an astral slide reprint. Tempted to send MaRo a picture of my poor swollen, aching sack.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

I'm just amazed that WOTC actually managed to print a dual land that is comparable in power to the original duals from way back in the day, that will in some cases/decks actually be BETTER than them.

The blatant exception to this is Tempo decks, which basically dominate the Legacy metagame. So.. yeah.

EDIT: oh hey, these work with Forbid. I should look into that more.

EDIT2: nope, wait, meant Foil. These work with Foil. That is... really huge for cycling decks.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I'm just amazed that WOTC actually managed to print a dual land that is comparable in power to the original duals from way back in the day, that will in some cases/decks actually be BETTER than them.
    What? Cool lands for sure but I don't agree with your statement. They are better in some situations but that says very little as there are many lands currently better than duals in some situations.

These are great but it's too bad they are allied like the Zendikar fetchable lands were. It's enemy pairs' turn for land typed duals!

And shame on Sam Stoddard for calling them duels. That guy is such a doofus.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterGuy View Post
    And shame on Sam Stoddard for calling them duels. That guy is such a doofus.
    English is hard. You can do it, but it does take some thorough thought though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Anyone else notice the spike on Fluctuator? That's sad.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it might be from urza's saga, but it's not on the reserve list. unlikely for a reprint as it's not the most fun card.
    -rob

> ... They are better in some situations but that says very little as there are many lands currently better than duals in some situations.

Yeah, I'm not sure how often those situations occur. There's fun to be had with Fluctuator but otherwise I don't think there are a whole lot of 'fetch land with basic land type to hand' effects that will make these better than the either the original duals or the 1 mana cycling lands.

bruizar

I like turn 2 fluctuator into Turn 3 crucible of worlds. Way too slow, but still cool. Ancient Tomb would help a bunch here obviously.

While these are awesomesauce for Legacy, in some decks these are actually better than the OG duals, which is truly an amazing sentence to type, they're not actually that great for modern and loam decks in general.

The reason I say this is the cycling cost of 2. When you're loaming for draw, it's not uncommon to cycle five or six lands in a turn. Drawing three cards with Loam and the ONS cycle lands costs a total of 5 mana. With these lands, you're looking at 8 mana for the same "draw 3" effect. That is a HUGE difference. HUGE.
    All of my wat. Even the second part, who has run 6 cycle lands in a Legacy deck.

I can see them in modern though, BG Loam Cloud can come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Anyone else notice the spike on Fluctuator? That's sad.
    That's really sad because Fluctuator is garbage, with or without these. Loam should spike.. check.. and yes, it already has.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Renewed Faith reprinted people. We are on a Level 3 alert for an Astral Slide reprint. Heads up everyone, we may have Astral Slide incoming. Level 3 alert.
    I want this reprint for Modern
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Can't wait to fetch them, bounce them with Daze and cycle them later hahahahhha making fetchland + dual cycleland Horizon Canopy like ! XD

My thought was more for modern, but fetch a bicycle, play Knight, sac the bicycle with Knight and loam is back. Now you have an engine to work with. Very useful. Not sure if the CIPT would hurt in Legacy too much for Loam decks, but being able to easily grab your cycle land and use it can be very strong.

Also nice with Crop Rotation, since you can sack it and then have food for your Loam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

While these are awesomesauce for Legacy, in some decks these are actually better than the OG duals, which is truly an amazing sentence to type, they're not actually that great for modern and loam decks in general.

The reason I say this is the cycling cost of 2. When you're loaming for draw, it's not uncommon to cycle five or six lands in a turn. Drawing three cards with Loam and the ONS cycle lands costs a total of 5 mana. With these lands, you're looking at 8 mana for the same "draw 3" effect. That is a HUGE difference. HUGE.
    I think this is the wrong way to look at it. My experience with 4c Loam is that you use Loam + cycle land aggressively once you're already established Loam as an engine (e.g., with Wasteland, Ghost Quarter, or Cabal Pit) and are missing a way to end the game, or you're using it dig for a specific answer when you're behind. Most Loam lists aren't even running the full 3 cycle lands anyway, opting for 1-2 + additional fetch or utility lands instead. Working with Knight is also gas. These being fetchable also matters a lot for a 4 color deck that was previously running nonbasic, etb tapped Swamp and Forest to have access to Cycling. The situation might be somewhat different (and more complicated) for Lands since it tends to both Loam more aggressively and want to hold up Cycling to protect Loam in postboard games.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    My thought was more for modern, but fetch a bicycle, play Knight, sac the bicycle with Knight and loam is back. Now you have an engine to work with. Very useful. Not sure if the CIPT would hurt in Legacy too much for Loam decks, but being able to easily grab your cycle land and use it can be very strong.

Also nice with Crop Rotation, since you can sack it and then have food for your Loam.
    Hahaha genious, I'm gonna call these 'bicycle (lands)' from now on

That's really sad because Fluctuator is garbage, with or without these. Loam should spike.. check.. and yes, it already has.
    They could easily be printing some other stupid cycle card though.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    They could easily be printing some other stupid cycle card though.
    Fluctuator is an absolute garbage card. A short list of reasons why:

1. It does nothing on its own.
    2. It's main purpose is to trade in cards you didn't want to draw for cards you might want to draw, which will probably also be cards you didn't want to draw so that they work with Fluctuator.
    3. It only enables combos where dumping your library in the yard is a good thing, but you didn't want to bother dumping good cards in your library that you'd actually want to use or do something wtih.
    4. If you want mana acceleration/generation in a cycling deck, there are many much better options.
    5. If you just desperately need some "free" cycling, there are many better options available, that also theoretically can occasionally do something - like Edge of Autumn and Street Wraith.
    6. If you play it, you are actively advertising that you're bad at Magic, card evaluation, and deck construction.

This is why Fluctuator is a garbage card played only by fools and idiots.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Its the same ridiculous nonsense with every returning Mechanic.

As soon as the mechanic is revealed, the idiot-stock-market freaks out and panic-buys every card which was ever related to the Mechanic in the past because maybe maybe maybe a new card is getting printed which would work with one of these old ones. No one remembers what happened the last time Madness was part of a set? Oh boy
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information