Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Since we know these "Masterpiece" reprints will all be themed and in every new set, I wonder what they might be for this coming block.
    Ancient Tomb.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Serendib Efreet perhaps? Wildfire Emissary? Desert?
    Flavor wins for sure, but certainly not eye catching like Mana Crypt or Mana Vault. What is the headliner there?

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Ancient Tomb.
    Now that I feel is pretty damn certain. Both a great (playable) card and a flavor win.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Now that I feel is pretty damn certain.
    I disagree, it was an Expedition in BfZ/Oath.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way... 'Egypt Matters' isn't a theme.

BfZ - Lands matter - Land Expeditions
    Kaladesh - Artifacts matter - Artifact Inventions

The Masterpiece from Amonkhet will try to showcase the "'blank' matters" theme of the set. And unfortunately at this point we don't have enough to go on to make an educated guess on Amonkhet's theme. Knowing that there will be 5 gods on this plane is reminiscent of Theros and 'enchantment matters', but I kinda doubt WotC would be that lazy. Unless they are admitting the block sucked thematically and are trying to redeem themselves...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I disagree, it was an Expedition in BfZ/Oath.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way... 'Egypt Matters' isn't a theme.

BfZ - Lands matter - Land Expeditions
    Kaladesh - Artifacts matter - Artifact Inventions

The Masterpiece from Amonkhet will try to showcase the "'blank' matters" theme of the set. And unfortunately at this point we don't have enough to go on to make an educated guess on Amonkhet's theme. Knowing that there will be 5 gods on this plane is reminiscent of Theros and 'enchantment matters', but I kinda doubt WotC would be that lazy. Unless they are admitting the block sucked thematically and are trying to redeem themselves...
    Good point. If the X-matters scheme continues, I would go with my initial prediction that this one will be creatures, based off what scant inference we can make based off the tag line.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

I'm going to go with graveyard interactions-themed set. Possibly monuments subset of artifacts to tie in with Kaladesh?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    I'm going to go with graveyard interactions-themed set. Possibly monuments subset of artifacts to tie in with Kaladesh?
    Graveyard matters! I could see that. That's probably why they went with Madness instead of Flashback in Innistrad 2 (besides the whole 'Emrakul's making me craaaazy' thing).

So maybe Bridge from Below, Entomb, Goryo's Vengeance...

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

It's a shame Pyramids is such a shitty card.

Since the only Egypt-style cards I remember are zombies - Vengeful Pharaoh etc. - and the afterlife is the topic - I think a graveyard theme may be fairly accurate.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

bruizar

City of Brass is highly likely.

Sep 2010
    France

Perhaps it'll be a aura-matters expension, with the return of the curse mechanic. That would fit flavour-wise. But what auras could be considered worthy of a "masterpiece" treatment then?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Firefraise View Post
    Perhaps it'll be a aura-matters expension, with the return of the curse mechanic. That would fit flavour-wise. But what auras could be considered worthy of a "masterpiece" treatment then?
    All the ones that I can think of are reserved list items i.e. chains, the abyss, etc. Other than that I don't think there are many enchantments that would be considered masterpieces, maybe counterbalance?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I think this would be pretty neat, since Bridge is barely an actual Magic card, I actually would like it to have some cockamamie boarder.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefraise View Post
    God, I hope not. Every time they try to make an "enchantments matter" set, it either sucks (Theros) or the whole theme is so minor as to be irrelevant (Urza's Block). Enchantments really are Magic's red-headed stepchildren, which is really stupid and shitty, but it just is what it is now.

Once they made colored Artifacts, the design space for Enchantments was so reduced as to now largely be an afterthought. Auras are also largely a joke, as Equipment is so much better, unless you are playing Modern Boggles for some reason. Masterpiece enchantments would be a joke, the only ones worth anything/exciting/actually playable are basically all on the Reserve List.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Once they made colored Artifacts, the design space for Enchantments was so reduced as to now largely be an afterthought. Auras are also largely a joke, as Equipment is so much better, unless you are playing Modern Boggles for some reason. Masterpiece enchantments would be a joke, the only ones worth anything/exciting/actually playable are basically all on the Reserve List.
    True - but there is still design space for Auras I think. For example - why are there no aura's as powerful as the swords? Wizards has the space to PUSH auras hard. To combat the Boggle threat, I'm sure they can figure out some hate cards or whatever.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    True - but there is still design space for Auras I think. For example - why are there no aura's as powerful as the swords? Wizards has the space to PUSH auras hard. To combat the Boggle threat, I'm sure they can figure out some hate cards or whatever.
    Oh, indeed, there is plenty of hypothetical design space to make Auras relevant. Rarely is it ever developed or used though. Gryff's Boon is actually a great example of a simple and not all that overpowered way to make an Aura playable. Granted, not Eternal playable in that example, but that mechanic certainly could be, if pushed.

Do they really want another "Enchantment" block right now though? Theros wasn't all that long ago, was it?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I'm gonna go with non-reserved list reprints from Arabian Nights and Mirage/Visions.
    In general, the mechanical complexity of cards [not due to poor wording] was at its peak in Mirage/Visions; I doubt there are that many cards simple enough for limited/standard/modern which can be reprinted from those sets and come close to capturing the feel of that block.

bruizar

Perhaps the Wish cycle could make a return. Wishes fit with the djinn/efreet theme and Ring of Ma'Ruff first introduced the mechanic in the Arabian Nights. This won't happen if the master pieces will be called Monuments or Relics though. They could also pull the unthinkable, and abolish the reserved list for Master Pieces. This is what I am speculating on.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    They could also pull the unthinkable, and abolish the reserved list for Master Pieces. This is what I am speculating on.
    Could be possible, given the success of EMA, but I wouldn't count on it. And even then, it's probably going to take years before they take that step.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

If Burning Wish wasn't the most valuable and just reprinted in Conspiracy then I'd like those chances.
    Plus I think they made a choice to not have them in Modern.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Oh, indeed, there is plenty of hypothetical design space to make Auras relevant.
    They should just print aura's that help to negate the downside. IE. fuel their own recursion - like Rancor etc.

Thread Information