Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

Re: Amonkhet, a new Plane for the next Block

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    They should just print aura's that help to negate the downside. IE. fuel their own recursion - like Rancor etc.
    Or like bestow, but not grossly expensive to cast?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Man, fuck Bestow. If they really wanted to make Auras playable, they'd give them "Splice onto Creature" so instead of assembling your Voltron you just cast it in one piece. Still susceptible to counters but at least you couldn't get fucked by a burn spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Feb 2015
    Germany

Aside from the Theme of the Block, i'm hoping that Djinn and Efreet make a big comeback in Amonkhet. Although i think its not very likely because those creatures are more bond to an "Arabian Style World" (like, well, Arabian Nights) and not an Egyptian one.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I hope they print some fucking goblin. I mean, in kaladesh there are gremlins - i say GREMLINS - instead of goblins. I really don't understand why they never print any decent goblin.... years have passed and the last relevant goblins were krenko and grenzo (and by relevant, i mean remotely playable, not certainly autoincludes nor busted cards). It's even more absurd because the tribal aspect of goblins would give room to print busted cards without warping standard at all.

At least, tuk tuk the explorer has a somewhat egyptian flavor, and this gives me hope for new goblins in amonkhet.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by AnvilOfCrom View Post
    Aside from the Theme of the Block, i'm hoping that Djinn and Efreet make a big comeback in Amonkhet. Although i think its not very likely because those creatures are more bond to an "Arabian Style World" (like, well, Arabian Nights) and not an Egyptian one.
    Actually I'd hope not, it'd be a real shame to see a legacy-playable come in with either of those creature types. The moment one or more got printed you'd just be giving miracles a reason to run Suleiman's Legacy. The hate is already way too good, and disproportionately benefits a problem deck.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Actually I'd hope not, it'd be a real shame to see a legacy-playable come in with either of those creature types. The moment one or more got printed you'd just be giving miracles a reason to run Suleiman's Legacy. The hate is already way too good, and disproportionately benefits a problem deck.

The art on that card is so glorious. I don't think I could ever be mad losing to a card with Kaja Foglio art.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    The art on that card is so glorious. I don't think I could ever be mad losing to a card with Kaja Foglio art.
    The answer is pseudo-serious. There is little chance that they would for instance print Djinn/Efreet strict upgrades to say Delver and Goyf in this one set. It would be a continuation of a problematic theme in legacy of spoon-feeding miracles more 1-card "not-losses" (i.e. wins). Imagine if Suleiman's Legacy said human, elf, or zombie...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The answer is pseudo-serious. There is little chance that they would for instance print Djinn/Efreet strict upgrades to say Delver and Goyf in this one set. It would be a continuation of a problematic theme in legacy of spoon-feeding miracles more 1-card "not-losses" (i.e. wins). Imagine if Suleiman's Legacy said human, elf, or zombie...
    A fair point, I guess. However, as you say, that chances that a Djinn and/or an Efreet is anywhere near as good as let alone better than both is so small I think we can call it functionally zero.

Now, if there is a highly good Efreet/Djinn printed, say, something you'd play as a 2-of, that makes things very interesting, because how many do they board? Do you play Spell Snare to defend against it? BEB, Hydroblast? Can you fit it in with Decay, to fight this?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I'm confused...

Printing Legacy-playable Efreets and Djinns is bad because Miracles can play Suleiman's Legacy to deal with them?
    Isn't that exactly like saying "Printing Legacy-playable Goblins is bad because Miracles can play Tivadar's Crusade to deal with them."

Or more hyperbolically, "Printing White cards is bad because Anarchy."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Printing Legacy-playable Efreets and Djinns is bad because Miracles can play Suleiman's Legacy to deal with them?
    Isn't that exactly like saying "Printing Legacy-playable Goblins is bad because Miracles can play Tivadar's Crusade to deal with them."
    "Playable in Miracles" is the new "this card has Awesome". lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'm confused...

Or more hyperbolically, "Printing White cards is bad because Anarchy."
    We're getting a little off topic at this point, but there's a difference between 'kill x' and 'x can never happen.' The more apt comparison would be Tivadar's Crusade~Tormnod's Crypt whereas Suleiman's Legacy~Rest in Peace.

To bring us back on topic, there's not much in Visions/Mirage (moreso than AN) you can really reprint to recapture the feel of those sets without pretty detrimental implications. For a set like Mirage you can reprint the Guildmages, cost mana rocks that enter tapped, and after that...random spells that are Dark Banishing levels of simple. Tutor cycle is out, Dragon cycle is out, anti-Dragon cycle then gets dropped, can't have anything that kills/swaps/changes a land, can't use Charm cycle, can't use "draw at the beginning of next turn's upkeep," no aura cycle (dies at next cleanup if cast as instant), no world enchants, definitely can't re-introduce flanking/phasing/rampage/color hate (landwalk and protection)/culm. upkeep/may only be cast at x time...

So it's all great and wonderful to hope we get some nostalgic reprints from those sets or new cards that thematically match (in spite of poor new-age art), but when that gets reduced to 'let's hope they print/reprint djinns/efreeti,' we're missing out on some pretty key existing interactions that are best left out of legacy (in the event that eternal playables are introduced).

If you really wanted the Mirage block feel, I think KTK is about as close as you're going to get (and I don't think many people liked KTK b/c it felt like Mirage).

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Yeah, I think we're not fully following each other's meaning.

My point was that Miracles will never play Suleiman's Legacy regardless of how many good Efreets or Djinns WotC prints because they are creatures and Miracles doesn't need sideboard cards to answer creatures. Amonkhet can have 20 functionally similar Tarmogoyfs of creature-type Djinn, and Miracles still won't touch Suleiman's Legacy.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Unless they print a Djinn that can't be countered, has hexproof, and can bounce/flickerwisp itself for , Miracles won't give a shit. Terminus > Creatures. Subtypes don't really matter.

Personally, I'm just hoping for a return of the Scarab cycle.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by AnvilOfCrom View Post
    As you say yourself: (Ancient) Egyptian (Mythology) is not Arabian (Mythology).

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Cat tribal?

Sphinx... Sphinx everywhere...

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Wouldn't Djinns and Efreets just be Creature - Spirit Warrior now anyway?

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Wouldn't Djinns and Efreets just be Creature - Spirit Warrior now anyway?
    No, they retain their specificity in Gatherer. Juzam Djinn's creature type is Djinn, and Frenetic Efreet's is Efreet. Hence, Suleiman's Legacy is still relevant against those sorts of creatures.

While djinn and efreet aren't 'Egyptian', it's still plausible that there could be stylistic overlap. After all, Mirage and Visions had some African elements in their design, in addition to the Arabian Nights stuff. I'm sure Amonkhet could also incorporate multiple mythological themes in its block.

Jun 2015
    NYC

It's time to ask ourselves a serious question - should Suleiman's Legacy be banned?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

No.

Thread Information