Thread: Cantrip Theory

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Cantrip Theory

This one goes out to all my U brethren, especially blue combo players.

Why isn't a deck stacked with intuitions and recalls better than a deck with brainstorms and ponders. With intuition you can directly fetch the cards you need every time, and recall can also pick up the cards that intuition put in your graveyard that you need I've been brewing and the combination of intuition and recall is very powerful, seems more focused than wishing the three top cards on your library are what you need, over and over again.

While intuition is well known, seems like recall is super underrated. Thoughts anyone?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Cantrip Theory

Mana efficiency.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

B/c Brainstorm/Ponder cost 1 mana and Intuition/Recal (at least) 3..? And Legacy is a format where decks both have a small manabase and the tendency to run Wasteland or where turn 2 is their fundamental turn..?
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Have a look at the two Lands builds. One runs Gamble, the other Intuition. Both for more or less the same reason. Gamble is the weaker card, but the more widely played. The reason? The speed you can trigger it and follow up with the target of choice.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Nov 2014
    Italy

Card velocity is a reason, but keep in mind that effects like surgical extraction have pushed cards like intuition out from the format.
    Being blown out by a surgical is no fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

One word: Speed.

Its just as simple. Before you cast an Intuition for 3 mana, a player with Brainstorm/Ponder/Preordain/GitaxianProbe fires 6 cantrips and has seen half of their deck to find their combo. On top of that you also get better landdrops, more disruption, etc
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It's worth remembering that Brainstorm can find more than one card too.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    With intuition you can directly fetch the cards you need every time, and recall can also pick up the cards that intuition put in your graveyard that you need I've been brewing and the combination of intuition and recall is very powerful, seems more focused than wishing the three top cards on your library are what you need, over and over again.

While intuition is well known, seems like recall is super underrated. Thoughts anyone?
    Intuition works only if you have three or more copies of the card you want to tutor up, or if you have functional equivalents, such as three removal spells equally good in the situation. The graveyard is a common zone to be attacked, so it's not great to rely on recursion to get you there. Can you give us more insight into your testing? What are you playing against, and have you tested your brew in some live events?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Have a look at the two Lands builds. One runs Gamble, the other Intuition. Both for more or less the same reason. Gamble is the weaker card, but the more widely played. The reason? The speed you can trigger it and follow up with the target of choice.
    Not just casting cost but ease of that casting cost. Intuition requires that you add Blue to the Deck. Lands already wants to play Red for Punishing Fire, so there's no additional pain to the manabase to play Gamble.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I mean up until turbo marit lage was the plan lands played 2-3 intuition and 0 gamble fairly frequently
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Tempo, value, where you wanna be, theorycrafting and flexslots.

brainstorm protects from discard

....worth mentioning

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    brainstorm protects from discard

....worth mentioning
    Which implies that the wielder of the discard Spell had no reason to cast it other than as a value play. It's not that brainstorming in response to a discard Spell is without doubt
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Intuition works only if you have three or more copies of the card you want to tutor up, or if you have functional equivalents, such as three removal spells equally good in the situation. The graveyard is a common zone to be attacked, so it's not great to rely on recursion to get you there. Can you give us more insight into your testing? What are you playing against, and have you tested your brew in some live events?
    I haven't been able to play locally but I am planning on it when I get some time away from work. I'm also fairly new to the legacy scene after a 10 year magic hiatus. Call me crazy but I really am committed to building a workable mono-blue painter deck. I've been net-decking and in doing so have had a lot of issues with sneak and show match-ups. Having to deal with Emrakul time and again got me thinking that a solution would be to mill myself and go some type of laboratory maniac route, either with thought lash (which can keep you alive a few more turns against 15/15's ) or with temple bell main deck. *There are other cards like leveler that can drain the library. Temple bell is good because it can trigger the draw when the library is empty without having to wait until my next draw step, or force my opponent to draw when their whole deck it milled and Emrakul's abilities are on the stack.

The problem with relaying on the self mill as a win condition is that there are only 4 copies of Laboratory Maniac in the deck, and they are hard to defend. This is where I feel intuition has its place: to fetch the manaic, grindstone, or even the painter when needed. Blue does not have to my knowledge a lot of help to bring creatures back from the graveyard. I can only think of controvert- which is 4 mana and sucks because the creature has to have been in play, recall, and wait for it... Triassic Egg. I really like Recall because with Intuition I get access to the Maniac, if it gets countered or abrupt decayed I can still bring it back. Not only that but now I can go get all the sideboard hate aka ensnaring bridge. 3 mana is probably a lot for legacy but I'm running lots of sol lands and lotus petals.

Hat tip to the guy who mentioned surgical extraction, way to crush dreams bro.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    I haven't been able to play locally but I am planning on it when I get some time away from work. I'm also fairly new to the legacy scene after a 10 year magic hiatus. Call me crazy but I really am committed to building a workable mono-blue painter deck. I've been net-decking and in doing so have had a lot of issues with sneak and show match-ups. ....
    OK, this is diverging from the thrust of the original post and is turning into deck development. You might try Noxious Revival, which could replace a copy in your Intuition pile and would still be playable in an all-blue deck. I think that would be faster than Recall. You might also want to peruse the Skilled Maniac thread in the New and Developmental section, since that deck runs Laboratory Maniac and Thought Lash: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Skilled-Maniac

Since you are in Seattle, I recommend coming by Card Kingdom on Monday and/or Mox Boarding House on Thursday to try out your brew in competition. You'll learn a lot about the format by playing live matches, and I think some of the Legacy veterans can give you more advice on card choices, etc.

The big thing is cost. 3 is a hell of a lot in Legacy. If you aren't playing fast mana, you could easily be dead before you even attempt to cast something that costs 3. Lets say you do survive to cast it, now you have to resolve it. Daze, Force, Spell Pierce, and others will punish you for using your whole turn to try to cast it.

You mentioned you haven't played much Legacy. I suggest you play several games with 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, and 8 fetchlands. You might not believe that Brainstorm and Ponder will get the job done, but after you try it, you might believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    You mentioned you haven't played much Legacy. I suggest you play several games with 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, and 8 fetchlands. You might not believe that Brainstorm and Ponder will get the job done, but after you try it, you might believe it.
    And remember brainstorm/ponder *BEFORE* fetching.

Thread Information