Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Deathblade

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Re: [Deck] Deathblade

Stifle is a tempo card and we are a control deck. we want to tap out and create advantage with powerful cards. stifle will bring you in bad situations because you have to keep your mana open.
    more spell pierce depends on your meta.

I played a bigger event at sunday and became third place with 4-1-1.

Round 1: Elves 2-1
    He made big mistakes both games. Engineered Plague killed him. The one I lost was against Progenitus.

Round 2: MUD 2-1
    A strange player. Playing for many years magic and this deck but not good. often times producing mana to untap grim Monolith and tap it again for 3.

Round 3: Dredge 2-0
    First two turn Deathrite Shamans, win. Second game first turn Nihil Spellbomb, second turn containment priest.

Round 4: BUrG Delver 1-2
    Very grindy. I lost the last game because I was too greedy.

Round 5: Grixis Delver 2-0
    A friend of mine. Sword of Fire and Ice could bring the win.

Round 6: Omnishow 1-1
    We managed a draw. I knew he is playing Omnishow and I had nothingn in my Sideboard to win this.

Feb 2013
    Northern VA

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    Stifle is a tempo card and we are a control deck. we want to tap out and create advantage with powerful cards. stifle will bring you in bad situations because you have to keep your mana open.
    more spell pierce depends on your meta.
    While I understand what you meant, I don't think it's out of the question at all to run a Tempo Deathblade strategy, especially since players have run it that way in the past. My only question is if Bant Deathblade just does the tempo strategy better with Noble Heirarch.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Well Exalted is a thing.
    Sure many tried Stifle but there is a reason why there are no stifles in top 8 lists.
    Bant Decks are also playing Daze.
    The biggest problem is that Stoneforge Mystic is like a time walk.
    casting Stoneforge, searching batterskull, waiting a whole turn and then put it into play. Stoneforge Mystic pushes us into the midgame just by being slow.
    You can look here in the Bant thread. Maybe you can get some information and input there.

Feb 2013
    Northern VA

That's pretty much my point - if you want to run Stifle, I think Bant just does the tempo strategy better, mostly due to Noble Hierarch.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Bant focuses more on mana acceleration with 4 hierarch and 4 shaman. But I guess you a black splash like Deathblade the green splash. Abrupt decay is too strong to ignore and shaman's abilities are worth it too.
    If you search a more tempo oriented deck try delver. Patriot Delver is an uwr deck with stoneforge and delver and can be very aggressive with lightning bolts

Dec 2010
    Montreal

When I look at my Deathblade vs current Bant deck, they are very similar... The only differences are:
    -3 Thoughtseize +3 Nobles
    -2 Spell Pierce + 4 Daze
    2 Snapcasters become SoFaI and a 4th Nemesis
    Cut all the basic lands for a Wasteland and the last 2 Daze

Both decks play in a similar fashion and have similar tools. It basically comes down to Noble (therefore Daze) or Thoughtseize (therefore Snapcaster) and whether you preffer dorks to basic lands.

DeathBlade is favored in the mirror with superior hate in the form of Liliana, Deluge and ZP postboard that impact Bant way more.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

[Deck] Deathblade

I played deathblade at my local weekly, and one of my match ups was the bant blade deck. Ended up winning 2-0. I feel like regular deathblade is heavily favored in the match up. At one point I thoughtseize'd him to see stifle and jace in the same hand and internally cringed.

We had similar opening lines in game 1, but he was shocked when I abrupt decayed his sword of fire and ice. During sideboarding he asked how I liked the main board abrupt decay, which let me know he thought he was facing the exact mirror match (bant vs bant).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Bant is usually uwg but I see the point why someone splashes black: 1.) Deathrite Shaman 2.) Abrupt Decay 3.) Sideboard
    Every time I Play against Bant I have the feeling that they don't have any pressure on my or control. Removal on their hierarch or shaman is even too much and a thoughtseize hits them every time so hard I would play Bant like an AggroLoam with Knight of the Reliquary and Life from the Loam. Blue is like a splash for Counter and cantrips. I guess Bant have to change their strategy to compete against Deathblade because we can handle them too strong in the early game that the tempo plan might not work.
    Another matchup which is strange is Maverick. I have the Feeling that Maverick is the child from Deathblade and Death and Taxes but rised by the stepfather Aggro Loam. Every match I played against Maverick (or Bant) was like " oh you have something great. I can do the same thing, but better"

Mar 2014
    Vienna / Austria

Hey Guys :)

This is the list I am currently on:

lands (20)
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    2 Wasteland

utility (4)
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

creatures (15)
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tarmogoyf
    2 Bitterblossom
    4 Deathrite Shaman

spells (21)
    3 Force of Will
    1 Daze
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare
    3 Thoughtseize

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Swords to Plowshares

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder

Sideboard
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 Maelstrom Pulse
    SB: 1 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Containment Priest

The list used to have a 3rd ponder to facilitate a lower land count, I am currently testing this 20 land build and so far it does work out with 4 deathrites, 6 cantrips and a curve that tops out at 3.

I am looking for some feedback regarding the manabase and sideboard I am currently running. My meta has experienced a significant uptick in Eldrazi, Jund and Loam (both lands as well as aggro loam) strategies but is generally very diverse therefore I need hate both for the fair and unfair part of the metagame and cannot skew my board too much in one direction.

I would very much appreciate your feedback because building a deck that suits the personal playstyle preference often results in being a bit routine blinded after a while :D Thank you in advance :)

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I like the list. the meta is quite fast right now and giving up some expensive cards like jace and add more cantrips can help.
    I was in Prague this weekend and there was a deathblade delver list.by giving up the late game you are more powerful in the early game with daze protection and delver as a fast clock. I went to the top 8 with his list.
    I am going to try to cut expensive cards also and try to hit early after I went 4-5 in the mainevent. With delver you want lingering souls over bitterblossom for the flip and the aggressive play style.
    after all the time bitterblossom became my signature card :( xD

Mar 2014
    Vienna / Austria

I really wanted to go to Prague too but unfortunately my friends had to make the trip without me because work was merciless and didn't allow me to be absent the weekend for the MKM series. The last time I was in Prague I played BURG without Delver which performed quite well but I missed the raw power of the slower stoneforge shell that makes it easier to play over the top of fringe strategies and helps a lot against burn which being a budget deck is always on my radar for such events.

But back to topic - I think the bitter blossom offers a lot of utility against miracles and similarly to Goyf which is a needed tool against the decks that needs to be clocked fast (e.g.: storm variants) it is a threat you can deploy T2 and can keep up disruption afterwards. What I am unsure about is if I should play basics at all and if so how many and how to tune my sideboard against the meta.

My perception is that I need the basics against the loam shells which are able to repeatedly wasteland this deck and with island and swamp most spells can be played without completely skrewing the stability of the mana base (although I would love to have an additional fetch).

On the other hand the SB slots are very pressured because I need at least 3 answers for decks that go wide against me (most notably elfs) and additionally enough hate for combo strategies (reanimator/storm/infect ect.) which leaves little to no room for dedicated cards that can be brought in in fair matchups (that is why I opt for the 4th thoughtseize over the 4th force of will for instance).

Besides that I do have problems with explosive Eldrazi starts although I am on true name + goyf + stoneforge. Any first hand experience for this matchup?

What sideboard plan are you currently on generally?

Philip

ps.: Do you have a link to this DelverBlade build you talked about or at least a rough sketch of the deck?

Apr 2016
    Germnay

This is the played list. I thought about delver before I went to prague but I wanted to play a deck which I can play on my best.
    I play 2 basics a swamp and an island. The day before I put a Hydroblast against Blood moon in the sideboard.

Mar 2014
    Vienna / Austria

This is the played list. I thought about delver before I went to prague but I wanted to play a deck which I can play on my best.
    I play 2 basics a swamp and an island. The day before I put a Hydroblast against Blood moon in the sideboard.
    i like this list... i think that is the correct way for deathblade in this meta ...

just one thing, i'm not sure about the idea to play delver with swords...

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Swords is your best removal you an get. The list is okay, no question and he reached top8. But I don't like the idea of playing Daze and having expensive cards like batterskull. or the fact that you want to be tempo and playing swords. other delver decks can do it better I guesse but this is a nice hybrid.
    I will try a delver list also the next weeks. Otherwise I want to build Deathblade on another way with cheaper cards. I guess slower cards like Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Engineered Explosives, Council's Judgment are too slow right now. I think Liliana is so strong and hits the decks like combo and control. Cheap counter, maybe ponder or even Daze (With the right manabase) can help in this metagame.

Swords is your best removal you an get. The list is okay, no question and he reached top8. But I don't like the idea of playing Daze and having expensive cards like batterskull. or the fact that you want to be tempo and playing swords. other delver decks can do it better I guesse but this is a nice hybrid.
    I will try a delver list also the next weeks. Otherwise I want to build Deathblade on another way with cheaper cards. I guess slower cards like Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Engineered Explosives, Council's Judgment are too slow right now. I think Liliana is so strong and hits the decks like combo and control. Cheap counter, maybe ponder or even Daze (With the right manabase) can help in this metagame.
    the problem for deatrhblade in my opinion is the mana base... eldrazy, grixis, turbo dephts... i don't like the idea to have a lot of bombs that i can't play for my 4 colors mana base ...

about the delver list maybe i would find a place for a basic land (the player said that he needed the second lingering on sideboard) cutting a tropical island ... swords and decay are pretty good against others delver deck

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I am working on a list with more cantrip and without that high cost cards like jace, Judgment and explosives. All are great but too slow. also baleful strix is great but very controlish. Playing a extra discard spell so I have 4, 2 ponder and 1 spell pierce could be my way. Dropping one of my threats and using cantrip and discard to disrupt the opponent

I am working on a list with more cantrip and without that high cost cards like jace, Judgment and explosives. All are great but too slow. also baleful strix is great but very controlish. Playing a extra discard spell so I have 4, 2 ponder and 1 spell pierce could be my way. Dropping one of my threats and using cantrip and discard to disrupt the opponent
    In this vein, Neo, this is why I was advocating my previous list:
    For reference :

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    =14

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    = 3

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    =3

4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Dimir Charm
    1 Vindicate
    1 Ponder
    = 19
    =39

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Wasteland
    = 21

Sb
    2 Meddling Mage
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Will
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    1 Pithing Needles
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Lingering Souls
    1 Engineered Plague
    = 15

If you recall, the last time I posted my list I had one less Underground Sea, one less Dimir Charm, and I had +1 Lingering Souls, Mana Leak, Diabolic Edict. I think any committed Deathblade player knows that the biggest downfall of the deck is the mana base. I think that we need to absolutely minimize the green portion of the deck. If it wasn't for the benefits of green for DRS I'd remove it completely. But, considering it makes dredge a good matchup and br reanimator more even, it is necessary. The two green cards that I think are worth playing are Gaddock Teeg and Leovold, Emissary of Trest. I have a lot of experience with Gaddock Teeg, its quite good against miracles and storm. I have literally zero experience with Leovold, but the Bant Blade folk are ranting and raving about how much they love Leovold.

Just to quickly summarize what I'm getting at:
    cards like Baleful Strix and Abrupt Decay really lead us down these paths where we have to commit to fetching certain lands. It really hurts a lot of our delver, midrange matchups and it also significantly hurts our matchups vs th fringy Blood moon decks.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I played today a Delver list and it was awful. Playing Wasteland, Daze and Stoneforge are so anti combo. Playing swords to plowshares is like a time walk. Attacking and attacking with the delver and then giving the opponent life back.
    I would move Jace to the Sideboard maybe against important match ups. Otherwise as described.
    To the green splash: It can be really back breaking but having decays is a strong weapon and can hit a blood moon if you pull the mana into your pool.

Would you all agree that the worst matchup for this deck is shardless? I have a very good matchup win % vs Miracles, something like 15 match wins v 2 match losses. Whereas versus shardless my match record is something like 1 match win v 5 match losses.

Pre board, I'm not 100 percent sure how our deck on am average draw beats their average draw?
    If I had to draw I up, it would go DRS> TNN > SFM Grabbing sofai or Batterskull. You'd have to avoid Toxic deluge and well timed Abrupt decays. I assume I they had a hand that was reliant on an ancestral resolving down the line, you could go aggro versus that.

Post board, I like Lingering Souls, I like Meddling Mage and Pithing Needles (although both of those are not perfect answers). I like Sactum Prelate on 3.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I see a lot of people suggesting Bitterblossom which I am not the hugest fan of versus Shardless.

Thread Information