Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Deathblade

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Re: [Deck] Deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by littlegreenman View Post
    I have a completely different opinion here. I don't like Engineered Explosives as an answer to moon because you're not likely to hit 3 different colors of mana after a moon resolves, even with 2 basics. I also don't like the idea of running basics in this list. You're trying to get enough mana for four different colors with only 15 or so lands, so you want as many duals and fetches as you can. If you're going to run a basic, I don't get why you'd run a plains/island/swamp anyway. The obvious choice to me is a forest. If they play blood moon, crack a fetch for a forest in response, then you can play any of your 8 shamans or hierarchs for whatever mana you need. That, and you're one deathrite away from being able to abrupt decay away the moon. Forest is also a good answer to a wasteland lock for this reason. But the best way to answer a moon is daze/force.
    It sounds like you are referring to Bant Deathblade (Hierarch, Daze). That deck is discussed in the "Bant" thread.

This thread should probably be named "Esper Deathblade" to erase any ambiguity.

Why 3 Thoughtseizes and 1 Inquisition of K.? Why not just 4 Thoughseizes?

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Quote Originally Posted by sanderanders View Post
    I don't know which list you refer to.
    But a reason could be that he don't have an additional one. also the lifeloss is not irrelevant. 3 thoughtseize= 6 life. With 2 or 3 fetches you are down to 12 without taking damage by the opponent.
    I like to play Liliana of the Veil in this slot anyway.

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by sanderanders View Post
    I try to be cute and play 1 IOK sometimes but it's really a lot worse than Thoughtseize overall. You wish your IOK was a Thoughtseize a lot more than the other way around.

I played Deathblade at my local last night and went 4-1 with this list:

4 DRS
    4 SFM
    3 TNN
    1 SCM
    1 Jace, VP
    1 Clique

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    4 Plows
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Pierce
    1 Snare
    4 Force
    1 Vindicate
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    2 Jace

10 Fetch
    3 Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrub
    1 Trop
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    2 Wasteland

SB 2 Surgical
    SB 1 ZP
    SB 1 Disfigure
    SB 1 D-edict
    SB 1 Flusterstorm
    SB 1 Negate
    SB 1 Disenchant
    SB 1 Needle
    SB 1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    SB 1 EE
    SB 2 Meddling Mage
    SB 1 Containment Priest
    SB 1 Bitterblossom

My rounds were:

Moggcatcher Stompy (1-2) had a good shot to win G3 but punted it
    Aggro Loam (2-1)
    Shardless BUG (1-0)
    BUG Landstill (2-1)
    Omni Sneak (2-0)

Trying Jace VP in place of 2nd SCM and Bitterblossom in place of a PW and they are OK so far. I think the optimal build right now is 4C with 0 basics for ~3 Decay + 2 Leovold but that's not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    I try to be cute and play 1 IOK sometimes but it's really a lot worse than Thoughtseize overall. You wish your IOK was a Thoughtseize a lot more than the other way around.

I played Deathblade at my local last night and went 4-1 with this list:

4 DRS
    4 SFM
    3 TNN
    1 SCM
    1 Jace, VP
    1 Clique

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    4 Plows
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Pierce
    1 Snare
    4 Force
    1 Vindicate
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    2 Jace

10 Fetch
    3 Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrub
    1 Trop
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    2 Wasteland

SB 2 Surgical
    SB 1 ZP
    SB 1 Disfigure
    SB 1 D-edict
    SB 1 Flusterstorm
    SB 1 Negate
    SB 1 Disenchant
    SB 1 Needle
    SB 1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    SB 1 EE
    SB 2 Meddling Mage
    SB 1 Containment Priest
    SB 1 Bitterblossom

My rounds were:

Moggcatcher Stompy (1-2) had a good shot to win G3 but punted it
    Aggro Loam (2-1)
    Shardless BUG (1-0)
    BUG Landstill (2-1)
    Omni Sneak (2-0)

Trying Jace VP in place of 2nd SCM and Bitterblossom in place of a PW and they are OK so far. I think the optimal build right now is 4C with 0 basics for ~3 Decay + 2 Leovold but that's not my cup of tea.
    I like your list a lot. Especially for a meta which is this weird hybrid of combo decks and decks built to beat decks that can beat combo decks. Looks like you waded through several difficult to beat matches, what were the cards that made the difference?

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    I like your list a lot. Especially for a meta which is this weird hybrid of combo decks and decks built to beat decks that can beat combo decks. Looks like you waded through several difficult to beat matches, what were the cards that made the difference?
    Against Shardless I got Jace the Mind Sculptor out early and was able to protect him and grind out my opponent. That's probably one of the best ways to come out on top in this terrible matchup. G2 was a grind that couldn't come to a conclusion.

Aggro Loam, I had a ton of action in G1 and he never got Grove + Fire or Loam + Wasteland going. In G3 we traded off resources on mulligans and then I out-topdecked him.

Against Omni-Sneak and Landstill I think I largely drew better than my opponent.

Overall the list is tried and (sometimes) true for me at this point. The new stuff (Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Bitterblossom) hasn't really shined yet, but has been good enough to keep playing.

I might want to play Mana Leak again but I think Spell Snare is a good slot right now against Counterbalance, Chalice, and D&T if you're lucky.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

I like your list.
    I have a problem with omnishow in my meta which is full of show and tell and nearly without miracles.
    I want to play sword of feast and famine. It should help me against shardless more and combo. Against miracles it doesn't feel wrong. Let him discard and I have managed to interact with him.
    I have to play some meddling mages and maybe sanctum prelate. Also I cut baleful strix for spell pierce/snare.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    I like your list.
    I have a problem with omnishow in my meta which is full of show and tell and nearly without miracles.
    I want to play sword of feast and famine. It should help me against shardless more and combo. Against miracles it doesn't feel wrong. Let him discard and I have managed to interact with him.
    I have to play some meddling mages and maybe sanctum prelate. Also I cut baleful strix for spell pierce/snare.

I think Sword of Feast and Famine is inferior to Sword of Fire and Ice in almost every non-combo matchup.

Against Shardless F&F gives better Protections than F&I, but F&I has more impactful triggers, with the card advantage it generates being extremely important. Pro-Blue is still relevant by itself in the matchup against Strix, Agent, and Jace.

Against Miracles F&F's Protections are blank, and while the discard is ok it is much less impactful when they have Top. The untap effect isn't relevant since once you're connecting with a Sword-equipped creature you want to leave mana up to protect it and don't need to commit other threats to the board. On the other hand, the clock and CA provided by F&I is fantastic in this matchup, and Pro-Blue allows you to evade non-Monk blockers and Jace.

Against combo or non-interactive decks F&F's discard + untap is useful, but in these matchups F&I is still solid by speeding up your clock and drawing you into more disruption.

In any matchups aside from those mentioned above I think Jitte & Batterskull do most of the work, so I don't factor them into my decision of which Sword to play.

Overall, I would have a hard time justifying Sword of Feast & Famine in any UWxx Blade deck today unless your meta is all combo decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    I think Sword of Feast and Famine is inferior to Sword of Fire and Ice in almost every non-combo matchup.

Against Shardless F&F gives better Protections than F&I, but F&I has more impactful triggers, with the card advantage it generates being extremely important. Pro-Blue is still relevant by itself in the matchup against Strix, Agent, and Jace.

Against Miracles F&F's Protections are blank, and while the discard is ok it is much less impactful when they have Top. The untap effect isn't relevant since once you're connecting with a Sword-equipped creature you want to leave mana up to protect it and don't need to commit other threats to the board. On the other hand, the clock and CA provided by F&I is fantastic in this matchup, and Pro-Blue allows you to evade non-Monk blockers and Jace.

Against combo or non-interactive decks F&F's discard + untap is useful, but in these matchups F&I is still solid by speeding up your clock and drawing you into more disruption.

In any matchups aside from those mentioned above I think Jitte & Batterskull do most of the work, so I don't factor them into my decision of which Sword to play.

Overall, I would have a hard time justifying Sword of Feast & Famine in any UWxx Blade deck today unless your meta is all combo decks.
    Interesting. I'd really like to find a way to somehow maintain my excellent play versus combo and miracles but shore up shardless and aggro loam and maverick. I guess I can't have it all, but I feel like this deck needs to have a couple extra percentage points built in somewhere. The sideboard always helps. I love this decks sideboard. Other than miracles, I don't feel like any other deck is even close in terms of sideboard quality.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Interesting points about the swords.
    My Sideboard looks like this right now:
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge

I cut Gideon and 2 nihil spellbomb for 2 Meddling Mage and cage. I feel safe with less gravehate. Reanimator is rare and against them I still have counter, priest and cage.
    Meddling Mage should help against my show and tell problem and against miracles he can block terminus.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    Interesting points about the swords.
    My Sideboard looks like this right now:
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge

I cut Gideon and 2 nihil spellbomb for 2 Meddling Mage and cage. I feel safe with less gravehate. Reanimator is rare and against them I still have counter, priest and cage.
    Meddling Mage should help against my show and tell problem and against miracles he can block terminus.

I like your extra creature /swarm hate in your sideboard. I find I lose winnable games/matches to death and taxes and elves purely because of untimely draws. Often, what wins me games are the plagues and Zealous Persecutions.

Hi all, new to Legacy, new to Deathblade... played my first FNM last night with Neo900's current signature list - as I don't have the second Bitterblossom I run a Spell Snare instead.

2-0 Blue Standstill?
    2-0 Death & Taxes
    1-2 Grixis Delver
    1-2 Infect (close one, few misplays)

There were two more Deathblade players attending, definitely wasn't expecting that. One Miracles player and one BUG Delver.

Was mostly looking for advice on the Grixis Delver matchup. Daze + Wasteland really hurt me in that one. What do you guys bring in?

My current sideboard (random pile as I had no idea what the meta looks like here yet):

1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Divert
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Nahiri, the Lithomancer
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Zealous Persecution

Thanks in advance! This deck is too much fun.

I've been toying with a new decklist

21 Lands
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    3 Underground Seas
    2 Tundra
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Scrubland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Wasteland

13 Creatures
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Baleful Strix
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Leovold Emissary of Trest

19 Instants and Sorceries
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thoughtseize

4 Others
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Jace the Mindsculptor

Currently working on the SB

Apr 2016
    Germnay

your list seems solid but I don't like the 2 Thoughtseize. It's a strong disruptive spell and way too good to play only 2. With Liliana of the Veil you can cut one and play only 3. Thoughtseize is more than a discard spell. It's proactive control and helps us to come through the early game. You can cut the Baleful Strix or Spell Pierce/snare.
    Baleful Strix is more like a flex slot and a meta call if the meta is very aggressive and full of eldrazi. Also you want to play more than one if you need Baleful Strix.
    Counter are control spells like Thoughtseize but in a reactive way.
    the biggest advantage which Thoughtseize provides is information. You know what your opponent can do and how he can react, or not. This will lead to different plays through the game and better choices. Even Brainstorm gets better if you know which cards you really need and which ones not.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm working on tweaking it for Louisville.

So, I tried Bitterblossom I'm my sideboard. Color me impressed. I didn't quite understand it before, but now I do.
    Every matchup I brought it in, I drew and played it and saw my opponent squirm. I think it will be helpful against those midrangy fair decks that I have talked about being problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    So, I tried Bitterblossom I'm my sideboard. Color me impressed. I didn't quite understand it before, but now I do.
    Every matchup I brought it in, I drew and played it and saw my opponent squirm. I think it will be helpful against those midrangy fair decks that I have talked about being problematic.
    I did squirm when you played it, but only for a moment ;)

I play Stoneblade rather than Deathblade. And as soon as he played the Bitterblossom, the two Lingering Souls in my hand were outclassed. Definitely a solid sideboard card in our meta.

Quote Originally Posted by glazed View Post
    I did squirm when you played it, but only for a moment ;)

I play Stoneblade rather than Deathblade. And as soon as he played the Bitterblossom, the two Lingering Souls in my hand were outclassed. Definitely a solid sideboard card in our meta.
    Lingering Souls is also impressive. I like either card paired with Sorin. They create blistering fast clocks out of nowherem

So, my most recent sideboard iteration was something like:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Will
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    1 Lingering Souls
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Engineered Plague

However, I'm thinking of fitting on a Disenchant, a Toxic Deluge or Engineered Explosives, and maybe Invasive Surgery.

The invasive surgery feels like it will basically always be an envelop so I'm not hyped on it. Toxic Deluge and Disenchant feel very good and deal with a lot of board states we have issues with, what would you cut from my current sb list? My initial thought is to remove Lingering Souls.

I'd probably cut sorin instead of lingering souls. I think we've discussed this earlier at some point, while i like the idea behind sorin and nahiri i just find the 5 mana casting cost too expensive.

Question for you guys, i've been having trouble with my eldrazi matchups. Its somewhat prevalent in my meta along with some goblin stompy/dnt/wierd aggro decks. I don't really have anything mainboard to deal with the problem. I've posted my list earlier, but the removal package is pretty standard, 4 STP and 1 vindicate. My sideboard is also pretty weak against eldrazi. I have 3 crowd control spells, zealous persecution, engineered plague, and toxic deluge. But only toxic deluge really helps against eldrazi. Persecution and plague just tickle reality smasher as it rolls me. But even then, toxic deluge is pretty painful to cast.

So my question is this, what mainboard sweeper if any would you recommend against eldrazi? I liked another toxic deluge maindeck since its a scalable sweeper and gives me another game 1 out against any aggro deck. I thought about supreme verdict, but i've found that its generally just too clunky to cast most of the time, even if it is uncounterable.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thread Information