Thread: [Deck] Deathblade

Threaded View

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Re: [Deck] Deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by First_Revenge View Post
    Maindeck Notion Thief is spicy. Did you nail anyone with it?
    Notion Thief become like my signature card. Notion Thief was great when it was on the battlefield. Otherwise it was picked with Thoughtseize. I think this card is quite underrated. Notion Thief had his big plays in Round 5. He catched a Ponder (while being on board for a couple of turns in a stall) what draws me a Force of Will which I needed a turn later. Otherwise I would have lost to Tarmogoyf quite fast.
    Overall it does quite similar things like Leovold while on board. Blocking cantrips of the opponent and prevent finding answers. Besides that he has the ability to catch Brainstorms due to Flash. And its psychological effect is amazing. 4 mana open and cards in hand ? Hope there is no Notion Thief.

1. DRS sits in slots where more traditional “utility” cards sit.
    Sure DRS 'steals' you 4 slots. I guess this argument is very player based and comes to the question 'what do I expect from my deck?'
    DRS allows more aggresive plays like turn 2 TNN or does 2 damage every turn. DRS pulls the action time of the deck towards midgame. Replacing it with cards like Snapcaster Mage, additional counter etc. you push the actions into the lategame. Snapcaster in your opening hand isn't good, drawn later it opens many possibilities. DRS in your opening hand is great, drawn later it becomes weaker because it will be more reduced to its black ability.
    In my opinion this choice depends on your own needs and playstyle.

2. DRS warps our manabase significantly in the greedy direction.
    It sounds like 'you have to be greedy with DRS in your deck'. For me it's 'you can be greedy'.
    I fit in my list a basic of every kind I need, have the duals I need and utility lands like Karakas and Wasteland on a count of 21. I know players on control decks without DRS pushing down to 20 lands. Beside that you can take a look at my spells. The cost are plain and simple with a maximum of UB in color variation and a maximum of double colored mana of UU. How do I get UB or UU? With the combination of Scrubland, Tundra and Underground Sea I am able to cast every 3 mana spell in my entire deck. The fourth land doesn't even matter for my 4 mana spells.
    The point is: DRS tempts player to become greedy. Look at 4C control with their Leovold, Liliana and Kolaghan's Command and everything wanted turn 3 would be great. Or 4C Delver with their 4C on 18 lands including 4 Wasteland and Fetchlands.
    At the end this is again the choice of the player. You like to be greedy ? If not, don't be it. I know enough players who force Leovold, Abrupt Decay, Lilianas in Deathblade. It's not my personal choice of gameplay.

3. I believe that our deck doesn’t leverage DRS to its fullest potential like wasteland driven delver decks do.
    The discussion of DRS' potential is long and wide and reaches up to a ban for somebody.
    I see it quite similar like you. DRS allows huge tempo plays with Wastelands and removal. I understand that Legacy is a format where you want to push the most power of every card. DRS might be stronger in other decks but it's a strong card overall and it does amazing things for Deathblade so I don't see any point why I shouldn't want this card. But here we are again at the same point as before; How I want to play my deck/the game?

The reason why I play Deathblade is not its amazing powerlevel and the things I accomplish.
    I play Deathblade because I like to; I like to play Deathrite Shaman, Stoneforge Mystic and all this cards.
    The limit I can push out of deck isn't the reason for playing it; for me, it's the limit a deck can push out of me as its pilot.
    Last edited by Neo900; 01-11-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Thread Information