Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Deathblade

Re: [Deck] Deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by OphelieSeize View Post
    Also i recommend anyone wanting to fuck with elves really hard to try Mana Maze, the card absolutely obliterates them, it is also very flexible and can shut down more decks than you might think, yes it's not the extreme hoser that some cards are against all combo decks but it gives them a really hard time and often makes it so if they try to combo off without planning the hell out of their turn near impossible, or just impossible anyway, plus it isn't a fire and forget thing it's something they have to consider for the rest of the game.
    I've seen this card brought up before, and honestly i wasn't sure what to make of it. I didn't include it in my board since honestly i wasn't horribly confident in its usefulness. Can you list some decks where you've found success? I can clearly see how its good against elves, but i already have 3 crowd control spells for them, so i'm curious exactly where/how you use it.

On a more humorous note i found this funnier than i probably should have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Traft
    What does working for a ghost entail anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by whocansay View Post
    Can we see your list ClimbGneiss?
    Yes, sorry, I've shared it before but it's a few pages back.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    =14

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    = 3

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    =2

4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Vindicate
    1 Ponder
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Mana Leak
    = 20
    =39

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    2 Wasteland
    = 21
    =60

Sb:
    2 Meddling Mage
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Will
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Pithing Needles
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Disenchant
    =15

Like I mentioned, I built this list to have game versus my meta locally and at-large:
    At my LGS, there are many lands, br reanimator and blade decks.
    At large in New England, Lands, Miracles, DnT, Delver and Shardless.

Like I mentioned above, I struggle a lot versus shardless, maverick and aggro loam.

I routinely beat Show and Tell, Infect and BR reanimator. I feel like I win 55% or more versus Lands (although, they recently morphed into GQ instead of Port), blade mirrors, DnT, and Delver.

Quote Originally Posted by First_Revenge View Post
    I've seen this card brought up before, and honestly i wasn't sure what to make of it. I didn't include it in my board since honestly i wasn't horribly confident in its usefulness. Can you list some decks where you've found success? I can clearly see how its good against elves, but i already have 3 crowd control spells for them, so i'm curious exactly where/how you use it.

On a more humorous note i found this funnier than i probably should have.

What does working for a ghost entail anyway?
    Just play cursed totem or engineered plague against elves.

Quote Originally Posted by jparula View Post
    Just play cursed totem or engineered plague against elves.

I already run one in the sideboard, might go up to 2. Cursed totem is interesting but probably not a great idea. That shuts off both my stoneforge mystic and deathrite shaman.

I already run one in the sideboard, might go up to 2. Cursed totem is interesting but probably not a great idea. That shuts off both my stoneforge mystic and deathrite shaman.
    Stoneforge for batterskull, because for jitte you can just cast it for the same cost, i think it's a fair price for shutting off all their creatures including wirewood symbiote, dryad arbor, quirion ranger, mana elves (DRS, heritage druid,...).

Quote Originally Posted by jparula View Post
    Stoneforge for batterskull, because for jitte you can just cast it for the same cost, i think it's a fair price for shutting off all their creatures including wirewood symbiote, dryad arbor, quirion ranger, mana elves (DRS, heritage druid,...).
    Okay thats a good point i suppose i just take out hte drs and install my normal crowd control suite.

Does seem kinda niche hate though. Maybe i'll give it a shot later.

Well the card is a very tempo oriented card, but it can buy you several turns vs a lot of the more explosive decks, it pitches to force which is awesome but i will try to give some examples of situations that the card is super useful and where it might not stack up against it's fire and forget counterpart cards like Flusterstorm, the way you want to use this card is to combat decks that are 1-2 colors and are focused on comboing off or just playing a lot of cards these decks include the following.

ANT
    Aluren
    Shardless Bug
    Elves
    Any mono combo decks
    Burn (not always great but can slow them down considerably)

-Pros-

-It is something that has to be considered at all points when comboing off
    -It pitches to force
    -It is an enchantment which are notoriously hard to deal with
    -It has Rebecca Guay art and the old frame

-Cons-

-Double edged sword, it can make your lines of play awkward (although this is mitigated slightly by the fact that we are 4 colors)
    -Costs 2 mana

Also i see some talk of Cursed Totem as a solution to elves but the card just looks horrible to me, it shuts off 7-8 of your own creatures, it doesn't pitch to force, and it doesn't stop them from just glimpsing you to death or just drawing a shit ton of cards with new Nissa, if you want to run some very focused elf hate this isn't the card for the job, in fact i can't think of many decks that wouldn't be happy to see you play it.

I keep getting blown out by Wastelands.. Running a greedy mana base off of 21 lands is just getting too tight.

Considering a Loam in the SB to deal with this.. Make sense?

I keep getting blown out by Wastelands.. Running a greedy mana base off of 21 lands is just getting too tight.

Run one of each basic and cut all of the green cards except Deathrite Shaman and a single land to activate DRS' green ability.

Personally i consider wasteland to be too prevalent to not have a maindeck answer for it. Per mtggoldfish wasteland appears in 40% of decks, and each deck has an average of 3.6 copies of wasteland. It should probably be something you should plan for maindeck. I haven't tried it but life from the loam seems a bit slow and i'd rather simply play maindeck basics and avoid the wasteland problem altogether.

Here's my semi-greedy mana base slightly modified to accommodate more green sources. Typically i like to have 2 basic islands, but you're deeper into 4 color if i recall correctly, so that island gets swapped out for a bayou. If you feel you need more green sources might cut an underground sea for a tropical island.

Lands-21
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    2 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    2 Wasteland

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Running basics doesn't actually make this deck more resilient against Wasteland. Fetching basics often prevents you from casting certain spells (we want all 3 colors), and having a mix of basics and nonbasics in play makes opposing wastelands more effective at cutting you off a single color or combination of colors (most importantly UU).

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    Running basics doesn't actually make this deck more resilient against Wasteland. Fetching basics often prevents you from casting certain spells (we want all 3 colors), and having a mix of basics and nonbasics in play makes opposing wastelands more effective at cutting you off a single color or combination of colors (most importantly UU).
    This is true... somewhat. Sometimes all you need is to have a basic on the first turn to make all the plays your opening hand requires and avoiding getting Wastelanded is the key to that. Specifically, against delver and lands.

Of course, this is why mana leak and diabolic edict are appealing.

Apologies if this was discussed already, but what do you guys think about Diego Massone's winning deck from last year's MKM Series?

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...4c-deathblade/

Outdated? Overly tuned for a specific meta? Or still relevant?

Apologies if this was discussed already, but what do you guys think about Diego Massone's winning deck from last year's MKM Series?

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...4c-deathblade/

Outdated? Overly tuned for a specific meta? Or still relevant?
    Legacy just in general isn’t a format that rotates a lot, it’s more cyclical than anything else. So the list you’re posting would probably work pretty well even today given the right meta. This deck seems pretty good against aggro decks, those 3 baleful strixes are basically removal spells. So if you’re in an aggro heavy meta this is probably not a bad start.

This list does appear to suffer somewhat against combo due to somewhat thin countermagic. I'm in a more combo meta so i don't think i'd personally run this list.

About the only thing I can say this least probably needs is leovold. I don’t think he was around when this list was made, but I do think he has a spot in this list. I'd probably like another ponder as well, that card is simply phenomenal.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Re: [Deck]Esper Deathblade

Deathblade can be so strong because it's so flexible. Our core is quite small or are cards like Brainstorm. Brainstorm is a core card because it is so strong. Deathrite Shaman is also the allrounder and does nearly everything. So the only unflexible card we have is Stoneforge Mystic. All sfm does is searching equipment. Mostly we have 2 decisions but we pick batterskull quite often because it's the strongest play we got.
    Everything else is a flexslot. How many Snapcaster? How many True Name? Discard, Decay etc.
    This allows us to react to nearly every metagame. With up to 4 colors we get access to a lot of cards.
    So I would say there is no "outdated" list, only metagame calls.

Isnt this deck very well positioned in the current meta trend: miracle forcing every deck to run decay and the resurgence of TNN. TNN and batterskull is decay/push-proof and we can run decay of our own for CB and liliana/ZP for opposing TNN:s.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Isnt this deck very well positioned in the current meta trend: miracle forcing every deck to run decay and the resurgence of TNN. TNN and batterskull is decay/push-proof and we can run decay of our own for CB and liliana/ZP for opposing TNN:s.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    This is very open ended question, so this is all my opinion, feel free to agree/disagree, I love the discussion that follows questions like this.

Yes and no? We’ll put aside the issue of miracles warping the meta to the point where a lot of decks have to run AD as that’s a separate topic.

I think TNN is riding pretty high on the back of the recent printing of push and reid duke’s list which used leovold, TNN’s new best friend. So there’s really no denying his reclaimed popularity.

I don’t feel like we’ve become any better or worse honestly. I feel like duke’s list leverages TNN better than our deck does, it has 8 mana dorks and noble hierarch pumps TNN. But because it runs 8 mana dorks it is less of a control build than our deck(at least the way I build it). So at least in my eyes it’s a trade off. In my local store gurmag angler/tombstalker/tasigur have enjoyed a return to favor as they dance around push, AD, and the –X/-1s that kill TNN. They also impose a faster clock than TNN.

Regarding AD, it is an answer to miracles that we can run, but I’ve always felt it comes at a significant cost. AD more or less makes us a 4 color deck which makes us prone to wasteland(in about 60% of decks), blood moon, etc... I’ve always been more comfortable with a 3.5 color deck with one green source because it lets me play basics and develop my mana. If anything I’d say running AD has made us stronger against miracles, but weaker against anyone running non basic land hate.

Side note, we’ve had a previous discussion about Liliana actually being good in stoneblade. I think we came out deadlocked, I’m not convinced since we don’t really have that many cards we can toss comfortably aside from lingering souls. But it may work out for you.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

the old Liliana question. As a good stuff deck we have situations we want to keep our stuff. I tried Kaya, Ghost assassin in the same slot. Kaya's abilities are quite good but can hurt yourself. Kaya creates more card advantage for sure but Liliana is more devastating with her abilities.
    Liliana the last hope looks interesting and have some nice looking abilities.

Isn't Kiora, the Crashing Wave really nice against Delver decks?

Hi everybody,

I've heard that FOW is not very good against Lands. Do you really think that this is true? I mean, countering an Exploration, Gamble, Manabond or sometimes even Crop Rotation can be a game changer.

Guess my question is, do you use FOW after sideboard in this situation? I'm talking about Lands, not Turbo Lands.

Thread Information