Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Deathblade

Re: [Deck] Deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by MrFrowny_ View Post
    I like your list quite a bit. I would like more removal in my list like fatal push.

I've also determined that 3 stoneforge mystic is the way to go nowadays. You don't want to fully revolve around her in the deck because of how much removal there is and have a stuck batterskull in your hand, but she's still a core piece of the deck. You just don't ever want to see more than 1-2 per game.

This is my list for reference;

Creatures - 15
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 Vendillion Clique

Spells - 19
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Abrupt Decay
    3 Force of Will
    1 Painful Truths
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Planeswalkers - 3
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Artifacts - 2
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Lands - 21
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Scrubland
    2 Wasteland
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

I really want to drop the Liliana of the Veil's from my list. They haven't been doing too much and I want something else, I'm just not sure what. I've also debated adding a 3rd Tundra and putting a Council's Judgement in. I also feel like I need to add a Karakas in the main... Overall I feel like I just need to take the deck apart and start from scratch.

Also my sideboard is in constant flux at the moment so I decided not to post it lol.
    Ya so for you. Like I said I’m not a fan of baleful so much anymore. So we could probably get rid of that.

I don’t think you need AD maindeck anymore either, the green in the casting cost could be problematic.

LotV could probably go too. The BB casting cost is kinda tough, and I’ve been of the mind that she doesn’t really synergize with what we want to do. Her +1 is great, but we don’t really have cards we can just throw away without consequences. It was brought up somewhere early in this thread that she was included as a great miracles beater. But with that deck out of the format I’m not sure if she’s warranted.

For your manabase you could probably go down to a single green source, assuming you cut the decays. I also don’t know what’s in your SB so it’s hard for me to say if this is a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by First_Revenge View Post
    Ya so for you. Like I said I’m not a fan of baleful so much anymore. So we could probably get rid of that.

I don’t think you need AD maindeck anymore either, the green in the casting cost could be problematic.

LotV could probably go too. The BB casting cost is kinda tough, and I’ve been of the mind that she doesn’t really synergize with what we want to do. Her +1 is great, but we don’t really have cards we can just throw away without consequences. It was brought up somewhere early in this thread that she was included as a great miracles beater. But with that deck out of the format I’m not sure if she’s warranted.

For your manabase you could probably go down to a single green source, assuming you cut the decays. I also don’t know what’s in your SB so it’s hard for me to say if this is a good move.
    I honestly want to drop the AD and the Leovold for a simpler manabase but they put in so much work for me that it's just hard to do. AD kills opposing equipment and Liliana's, and Leovold kils opposing card draw. I'll probably end up keeping the green in the main for now until I decide otherwise. But I'm for sure dropping the Lili's and adding Jace's in place of her. Also the Baleful Strix I might drop for something... Maybe a Tombstalker or another spell of some-sort

My Sideboard at the moment is this;

2 Flusterstorm
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Force of Will
    1 Ethersworn Cannonist
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Disenchant
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Pithing Needle
    "The enemy is getting too close! Quick! Inflate the toad!"

I honestly want to drop the AD and the Leovold for a simpler manabase but they put in so much work for me that it's just hard to do. AD kills opposing equipment and Liliana's, and Leovold kils opposing card draw. I'll probably end up keeping the green in the main for now until I decide otherwise. But I'm for sure dropping the Lili's and adding Jace's in place of her. Also the Baleful Strix I might drop for something... Maybe a Tombstalker or another spell of some-sort

My Sideboard at the moment is this;

2 Flusterstorm
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Force of Will
    1 Ethersworn Cannonist
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Disenchant
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Pithing Needle
    Ya even I couldn’t justify cutting leovold despite my relative dislike of super greedy manabases, he’s just so good. AD is your call, I mean we are going to always have some amount of green anyway for DRS anti reanimator tech. The question is whether that green mana is worth potentially getting wastelanded over, assuming you don’t have a DRS to generate the green mana. I find leovold worth the risk, AD not so much.

Sideboard looks solid, only thing I have mixed feelings on is supreme verdict. The problem for me has always been the casting cost, at 1WWU, it is both expensive to cast and extremely color intensive. A lot of creature decks like grixis, bug, dnt, eldrazi, etc... run wasteland. WWU will force you to fetch non basics, opening you up to wasteland. Then there’s other matchups like dnt which runs wasteland, port, and thalia all of which make actually casting a verdict really difficult. I prefer toxic deluge in this spot, it’s cheaper and way less color intensive.

Ya even I couldn’t justify cutting leovold despite my relative dislike of super greedy manabases, he’s just so good. AD is your call, I mean we are going to always have some amount of green anyway for DRS anti reanimator tech. The question is whether that green mana is worth potentially getting wastelanded over, assuming you don’t have a DRS to generate the green mana. I find leovold worth the risk, AD not so much.

Sideboard looks solid, only thing I have mixed feelings on is supreme verdict. The problem for me has always been the casting cost, at 1WWU, it is both expensive to cast and extremely color intensive. A lot of creature decks like grixis, bug, dnt, eldrazi, etc... run wasteland. WWU will force you to fetch non basics, opening you up to wasteland. Then there’s other matchups like dnt which runs wasteland, port, and thalia all of which make actually casting a verdict really difficult. I prefer toxic deluge in this spot, it’s cheaper and way less color intensive.
    I agree, I've also decided what I'm going to modify the main deck with;

-2 Liliana of the Veil
    -1 Abrupt Decay
    -1 Marsh Flats
    -1 Bayou

+1 Karakas
    +1 Councils Judgement
    +1 Tundra
    +2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

I agree, I've also decided what I'm going to modify the main deck with;

-2 Liliana of the Veil
    -1 Abrupt Decay
    -1 Marsh Flats
    -1 Bayou

+1 Karakas
    +1 Councils Judgement
    +1 Tundra
    +2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Lol sorry to keep doing this to you, I’ve been doing this a lot in my own head so i’ve got a lot of ideas that want out.

Karakas is a meta call, if you see enough need for it go ahead. If you don’t need it maybe a wasteland in this position?

I think you only need +1 JTMS for a total of 2 copies maindeck. 3 is pretty excessive. You have 4 brainstorms and 2 ponders so you should be able to find one in the late game. Drawing even one JTMS in your opening 7 is pretty miserable, let alone 2. You also have painful truths to generate card advantage which seems to make 3 jtms kinda overkill in my book.

Lol sorry to keep doing this to you, I’ve been doing this a lot in my own head so i’ve got a lot of ideas that want out.

Karakas is a meta call, if you see enough need for it go ahead. If you don’t need it maybe a wasteland in this position?

I think you only need +1 JTMS for a total of 2 copies maindeck. 3 is pretty excessive. You have 4 brainstorms and 2 ponders so you should be able to find one in the late game. Drawing even one JTMS in your opening 7 is pretty miserable, let alone 2. You also have painful truths to generate card advantage which seems to make 3 jtms kinda overkill in my book.
    Ok I get what you're saying.

I brought in the karakas because 3 of the players in our meta decided to build show and tell lol... and I get what you're saying with jace, I'll have to think of something else to bring in. What would you suggest?

Hello, is this the place to discuss the dark bant blade deck like the list of Christopher Wilhelm who top8ed at mkm Frankfurt last weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Theonlyone View Post
    Hello, is this the place to discuss the dark bant blade deck like the list of Christopher Wilhelm who top8ed at mkm Frankfurt last weekend?
    I believe the correct primer would be this one;

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...6059-Deck-Bant

But I guess you could consider any blade deck that runs Deathrite Shaman a Deathblade deck so I don't mind if you want to discuss it here.

Thanks for the nice answer!

Ok I get what you're saying.

I brought in the karakas because 3 of the players in our meta decided to build show and tell lol... and I get what you're saying with jace, I'll have to think of something else to bring in. What would you suggest?
    Ya in that case karakas sounds like a sane thing to include.

Uhh up to you really, part of the fun of stoneblade are all the fun one offs based on your meta:
    Aggro-Try tombstalker? Short of a STP, surprisingly hard to kill. Eats up delvers and flies over locked up boards like a champ.
    Killspell-Try fatal push? Maybe an engineered explosives? If you expect a lot of critters bring another gun to shoot them with.
    Countermagic-Spell pierce? Flusterstorm? Spell Snare? If you expect combo packing another way to say no never seems to hurt.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

I would rather cut a Jace than Liliana. With all the Turn 3 combo decks discard is our friend. That's the reason why I moved Sword of Light and Shadow to the sideboard. It's great for grindy match ups. And I moved Thoughtseize to the main again. First turn discard, second turn stoneforge is a huge tempo advantage. Krosan Grip is still my favorite card in my sideboard. Hits so much cards right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    I would rather cut a Jace than Liliana. With all the Turn 3 combo decks discard is our friend. That's the reason why I moved Sword of Light and Shadow to the sideboard. It's great for grindy match ups. And I moved Thoughtseize to the main again. First turn discard, second turn stoneforge is a huge tempo advantage. Krosan Grip is still my favorite card in my sideboard. Hits so much cards right now.
    I've been thinking about putting a Sword of Feast and Famine in the deck just because of how much combo is going around. And I'm currently running 3 1-mana discard spells but I might move up to 4-5.

So I played in my weekly tournament at my LGS yesterday with this list;

Creatures 15
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Tombstalker
    1 Vendilion Clique

Spells 19
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Force of Will
    2 Ponder
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Council's Judgement

Equipment 2
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Planeswalkers 3
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Lands 21
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Karakas
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Disenchant
    1 Force of Will
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Pithing Needle

I went 1-2 overall yesterday, not too great but it happens

Round 1 - Aggro Loam (2-0) W
    Game 1 - DRS + True-Name beats, he didn't really get anything going except for a Knight that I council's judgemented
    Game 2 - I IoK his liliana turn 2, then turn 3 tombstalker; he doesn't have an answer for it

Round 2 - Dredge (0-2) L
    Game 1 - He does the dredge thing and I can't do anything
    Game 2 - I have an opening hand of 3 STP and a containment priest, i have to swords 2 narcos so he can't cabal therapy my hand, i misplayed the containment priest and he firestormed it, i couldn't recover after that

Round 3 - Eldrazi Taxes (1-2) L
    Game 1 - I get a True-Name + Jtms in play and ride them to victory
    Game 2 - he gets a chalice on 1 and 2... Then a thoughtknot...
    Game 3 - he gets a chalice on 1 and i don't have an answer for it, the board got extremely stalled out so I had to supreme verdict the board, he emptied his hand again with 3 creatures on the board and thoughtknot took my snapcaster which would've supreme verdict again... very long game

Do we like Lingering Souls in our deck?

Quote Originally Posted by whocansay View Post
    Do we like Lingering Souls in our deck?
    So typically people only run Lingering Souls in Esper Stoneblade but if you're running a heavy white version of Deathblade then you could definitely make it work.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Lingering Souls is great with Liliana of the Veil.
    Flying is great with equipment.
    I am still a huge fan of Bitterblossom (and Lingering Souls) and if your meta allows to play this cards then I would consider to play Bitterblossom again.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    Lingering Souls is great with Liliana of the Veil.
    Flying is great with equipment.
    I am still a huge fan of Bitterblossom (and Lingering Souls) and if your meta allows to play this cards then I would consider to play Bitterblossom again.
    I too am a fan of the Blossom. It requires a Decay or QPM from the opponent, and they don't just have a thousand of those. The more blossoms they bust, the less Equips/Dudes they bust. Honestly, I'm trying a 1-of Manriki-Gusari in the main so I can grind. My non-fair MUs in Bant/Esper (the list is 90% the same) has been 85+% win rate:
    Loss SneakShow 0-2 (Esper)
    Win Infect 2-0 [Esper]
    Win Infect 2-1 [Bant]
    Win Elves 2-0 [Bant]
    Win Elves 2-0 [Bant]
    Win Aluren 2-1 [Bant]
    Win Lands 2-0 [Esper]

over the last few weeks, but my fair MUs have been meh:
    Draw Czech Pile 1-1-1 [Bant]
    Draw UW Stoneblade 1-1-1 [Bant]
    Win Patriot Standstill 2-0 [Bant]
    Loss Esper Control 0-2 [Bant]

I was driven to Bant, being a very similar list for me, because I wanted KotR to deal with Sneakshow as I anticipated an influx and my loss was biting. That said, I'm now looking to Esper again as their aren't good token cards below 4-mana in non-black. I don't want to bother you guys too much unless my list performs well this week/next; so I'll just say *it's pretty god damned spicy* and we'll see if it does anything :p.

This meta demands spicy, and I eat habanero's straight on my sandwich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jan 2017
    Baltimore MD

With all lingering souls bitter blossom talk. Along with all the mana dorks I'm surprised no one is talking about Opposition now. Besides some decks like storm. Opposition seems like the best tech vs almost everything being played.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Munchyman View Post
    With all lingering souls bitter blossom talk. Along with all the mana dorks I'm surprised no one is talking about Opposition now. Besides some decks like storm. Opposition seems like the best tech vs almost everything being played.
    I'll say, it's pretty bad vs. Leo :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Tescrin: I'm very new to Legacy so apologies for the possibly idiotic question, but how does KOTR shore up your SneakShow matchup?

Thread Information