Thread: Delver Scepter (AKA - Thing in the Isochron)

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Delver Scepter (AKA - Thing in the Isochron)

I was thinking about the non-storm Pyromancer Ascension decks that have been doing well recently and wondered if swapping out the Ascensions for Isochron Scepter could be a viable strategy, as it would allow the the deck to diversify its spells (instead of having to run almost exclusively x4 of each instant/sorcery). After an initial brew, I realized I could be playing Delver of Secrets and have come up with the following list:

Scepter Delver
    CREATURES (12)
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Thing in the Ice
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique
    SPELLS (29)
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Isochron Scepter
    1 Izzet Charm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Lightning Helix
    2 Mana Leak
    1 Path to Exile
    3 Remand
    4 Serum Visions
    1 Silence
    1 Spell Snare
    3 Thought Scour
    1 Unsubstantiate
    1 Vapor Snag
    LAND (19)
    3 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Seachrome Coast
    1 Spirebluff Canal
    1 Sulfur Falls
    1 Steam Vents
    1 Sacred Foundry
    1 Hallowed Fountain

Sideboard
    2 Anger of the Gods
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Deflecting Palm
    1 Dispel
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Plains
    2 Rest for the Weary
    1 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Wear // Tear

It's essentially a U/R Delver deck, but it includes x2 Isochron Scepter as potential value cards and runs a single copy of Silence for the potential lockout combo. Silence has exceeded my expectations thus far in testing. While the lock with Scepter is somewhat reliably established, the synergy with Thing in the Ice and Gitaxian Probe is what has impressed me. Probe informs your plays. Sometimes you'll know that firing off Silence on your opponent's upkeep is the proper tempo play to get in damage with your Delver before they can establish their board. The interaction with Thing in the Ice is super spicy, casting Silence to remove the final ice counter and transform the Thing on your opponent's turn (typically during upkeep or combat), bouncing their board and leaving them unable to replay their creatures. Unsubstantiate, Lightning Helix, and Izzet Charm are all utility spells that provide versatility and are imprintable on Scepter.

I'm pretty happy with the maindeck at the moment. The sideboard isn't fully tuned and would shift with the meta regardless. Grim Lavamancer should probably be in the 75 somewhere. I could see running it in place of the Vendilion Clique, but opted for the Clique due to the flash and the ability to rebuy it for value with Thing.

Re: Delver Scepter (AKA - Thing in the Isochron)

Hi.

Time ago I tried (not in tournments) a Isochron Scepter deck but a different list that you have posted. I didn't tested but I would like to do it. I'm going to post my list and tell me what do you think:

Lands

7x Plains
    7x Islands
    4x Forbidden Orchard
    1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    2x Nimbus Maze

Spells

4x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
    4x Isochron Scepter
    4x Silence
    4x Azorius Charm
    4x Research / Development
    4x Swan Song
    4x Negate
    4x Myth Realized
    4x Porphyry Nodes
    1x Day of Judgment
    2x Supreme Veredict

Sideboard I'm still working on the deck main but these are the cards I'm thinking in bring in the sideboard:

3x Day of Judgment
    4x Selesnya Charm
    4x Boros Charm
    2x Luminarch Ascension
    1x Academy Ruins
    4x Counterflux
    4x Angelsong

I have more than 15 cards on sideboard but is because I'm still thinking how to build a good sideboard.

I love how interacts Forbidden Orchard with Porphyry Nodes and Swan Song so you can keep your Porphyry Nodes active until your opponent draws or searchs for a ghostly quarter.

Myth Realized is a card that gets more +1/+1 counters when you play more time spells or using Isochron Scepter and survives to our Porphyry Nodes and Day of Judgment Supreme Veredict. The creature can get flying, double strike and lifelink with Ajani, Caller of the Pride and Azorius Charm so if you need life to survive or create more tokens with Ajani third ability this combo is also fine.

Silence It's a card that blocks most normal decks that play spells on their turns and also allows you to safety play spells casting silence before the spell and forcing your opponent to counter silence or you will play your threat with no issues.

Research / Development This is the best card of the deck in my opinion. If you are able to place in the first turns of the game and your Isochron Scepter survives some turns you will get cards advantage or you will get lot of 3/1 tokens. I'm not sure if it's better a Silence in Isochron Scepter or Research / Development

Negate Having in mind our hate against creatures (Day of Judgment Supreme Veredict) I bring this counters to counter anything else.

Well this is a deck idea, I would like to see if someone could test it in a tournment or what changes would you do. In anycase I hope it could help anyone who wants to build a Isochron Scepter deck.

And I'm thinking in adding some Entreat the Angels

Regards
    Last edited by knopfler; 10-12-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
    Hi.

Time ago I tried (not in tournments) a Isochron Scepter deck but a different list that you have posted. I didn't tested but I would like to do it. I'm going to post my list and tell me what do you think...
    I guess I understand what this list is trying to do, but I think it can definitely be focused a little more. I'm not a huge fan the Porphyry Nodes + Forbidden Orchard "combo." It just seems like the deck can have enough removal that you don't need this. I think Path to Exile really ought to be in the deck in some number and I think splashing red for Lightning Bolt is totally worth it, not to mention all the other tools it opens you up to (e.g. Lightning Helix, Wear / Tear, Deflecting Palm, etc.). Actually, I think I'd go a bit heavier on red still to run Anger of the Gods as my preferred sweeper in the current meta.

I am intrigued by Myth Realized. I like how it gets on board early and you can pick your spots to activate it and attack when you believe the coast is clear. I can't get behind Ajani in the deck, as there aren't any creatures other than an animated Myth Realized.

Research / Development seems absolutely amazing to imprint on a Scepter. I realize that you're going to use Development pretty much every time, but the idea of shuffling sideboard cards into your deck in game one seems fun.

Hi. Thanks for your answer.

The issue with path to exile is that you give your opponent land advantage and you won't want that specially against control decks.

I was using luminarch Ascension instead of Ajanis when I was playing a more defensive version with pollen lullaby and dawn charm.

I also used white sun zenith but I think Ajani is better.

Yeah, research/development and Silence on the isochron scepter are good combos. The issue is that you will always choose 3 goblins or draws instead of sideboard cards.

Now I was testing a versión with 2 supreme veredict but I'm missing one wrath of God. I would use Selesnya Charm instead of Azorius Charm but Selesnya Charm uses green Mana so if I don't have isochron scepter or forbidden orchard I won't be able to cast them. Maybe I should change Mana base.

Regards

Finally I'm testing this list but I have no opportunity to test in tournments so if someone is interested or wants to make some changes, give it a shot:

Lands

7x Plains
    7x Islands
    4x Forbidden Orchard
    2x Nimbus Maze

Spells

3x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
    4x Isochron Scepter
    4x Silence
    3x Selesnya charm
    4x Research / Development
    4x Swan Song
    4x Negate
    4x Myth Realized
    2x Luminarch Ascension
    4x Porphyry Nodes
    2x Day of Judgment
    2x Supreme Veredict

Sideboard I'm still working on the deck main but these are the cards I'm thinking in bring in the sideboard:

2x Day of Judgment
    4x Boros Charm
    1x Academy Ruins
    1x boseiju who shelters all
    4x Counterflux
    2x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x relic of progenitus

Nihil Spellbomb ,relic of progenitus Hate against graveyard and snapcasters
    Day of Judgment More hate against creatures
    Boros Charm ,Academy Ruins Protect Isochron Scepter
    Counterflux ,Boseiju, Who Shelters All Protection against counters
    Selesnya charm Allows to remove big creatures (power more than 5) or feed our Porphyry Nodes so we don't depend only on Forbidden Orchard to create creatures and control the game.

I'm not sure if I should use Spell snare on the sideboard because I usually don't play modern I'm not sure if I will find cost 2 spells.

I hope this list could give ideas to other players.

Regards

Thread Information