Thread: Legacy Weekend at Team Sealed GP

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Legacy Weekend at Team Sealed GP

This is a tale of a man and his quest for extracting maximum value from side events with guaranteed payouts at GPs. Most TO's dont advertise side events as well as they should this weekend was a honey hole for legacy and modern players. I had a 3 day weekend, all free rolled by winnings, and I got to play 20 rounds of legacy with some pretty chill dudes.

For all 3 days at GP Louisville there were Eternal Weekend Trials for E weekend, in the legacy format. Below is the payout / entry directly from the T.O.'s website .

Eternal Weekend Trial Plus: Legacy - Swiss cut to top 8.
    Maximum Player Capacity 226.

Players receive a playmat from our library of past events. Player's also receive a GP Stone Forge Mystic Promo.
    This event requires a Deck List(Comp REL)10:30 AM$40.00
    1st: 2 round bye, FREE entry for Eternal Weekend, $250.00 AMEX GIFT CARD
    2nd-1000 Prize Tix
    3rd/4th 500 Prize Tix
    5th-8th 300 Prize Tix
    9th-16 200 Prize Tix
    17th-32nd - 100 Prize Tix

Here is the basic value of this event:
    Entry: 40$
    Stoneforge Mystic Promo- 10$
    Playmat - 10$

So before you even sit down you have recouped about half of your entry. Pretty reasonable. Here comes the part that matters. Friday's event was at 10:30 AM on a Friday, in Louisville, for a GP that is Team Limited (Casuals) You may think, "So what? E Weekend Byes, Everyone will show up!" Well, thats where you are wrong. How many would you think would show up on a Friday morning to play legacy? 20? 30? Well. The grand total was 10 for Friday. 10.........

So 9-16thth place is 200 prizewall tickets. Whats a shitty prizewall ticket worth? 10 tix = 1 standerp pack, so I generally view it as 2$ cash. Every 100 tix is 20$....Just by signing up everyone was getting 200, except the TO said everyone got a minimum of 300. Thats 60$ in tix and 20$ in entry rewards, just to pay 40$ and sit down.

Event Starts, 5 Rounds cut to top4. No Splits per TO.
    I played D&T , without Recruiter or Prelate. I play 3 Avengers and 3 Displacers. Tell me I am wrong, I really care what you think.

Dont remember what happened except that I topped 4. My car mate went in 1st seed and I went in 4th. Sick. My record was a solid 3-2.

I scoop to him because he is going to E weekend and I may or may not be using his cards and owe him a large amount of money.

He splits finals in this way: He gets the Byes, Entry, and 800 Tix, Other guy gets 200 Tix and 250 AMEX Cards.

This event got me a total of 640 Tix.
    I bought a Cavern of Souls, Horizon Canopy, and Split a Bayou with my bud.
    Overall value for this event was +180$ish
    Fucking Sick.

Next day, same event, different deck, different people, same insane value. This time we had 16.
    I decided against D&T because the deck sucks. I switched to White Eldrazi, or as I called it Death and Smashes

I assume all you net deckers already know the list but I want to post a picture of my deck so get off my landlords lawn.

This event went much better for me, I didn't lose a game in swiss. Except round 5 when this guy Chris asked me to concede to him so he could top 4, I said yes. I think his name was Chris Walton, better legacy resume then me. ( He has one ) and he was on painter. He was slightly serial murderish, but he play the game where we look at a player and try to guess what deck that person played. He was good at it. We got probably 70% of the randos walking around. Ex. Pox players always have big beards, smiles, balding with longer hair, basically Gimli from LotR or Bo from south Georgia. BO!

Ended up on the draw in the T4, and lost to a Grixis dude I beat earlier in the day. Super chill guys and SUPER sweet event. The guys made it fun and bearable.

I lost in Top 4, But I GOT 500 TIX AGAIN!

This time I bought:
    Judge Promo Sofi, Commanders Arsenal Sylvan Library, and 2 Signed OG Temple Gardens.
    Sold the Sofi and Library for 90$. The SFM and mat got me like 15$. Over all I payed 40$ for 105$ plus 2 OG Temple Gardens Signed. Man I am fucking good.

Day 3, Sunday, the Lords Day. Many came out for this event, 46 Total. I lost round 1 to a man on Merfish who asked what my cards did then drew 4 Lords. Skillgame. Then I got the bye, and then I won 3 in a row and drew into top 8. I lost, got Innocent Blooded, Abyssed, and P Fired out of the game by a man who drives a tractor and played two lands in a turn round 1 and got caught. Sick.

I only got 300 Tix. Managed to snag an Island of Wak Wak and some other garbage.

The Island was given to my buddy to cover my hotel share (60$)

So yeah, Good EV this time too.

Going to do a quick breakdown of my weekend and costs.
    Entry : 120$
    Food : 120$
    Gas : Free
    Hotel : 60$
    Winnings that I kept- 2 OG Temple Gardens, Canopy, Cavern.
    Winnings that I sold - Sofi , Library, WakWak, 3 SFM Promo, 3 Playmat, 1/2 a Bayou for a Grand total of +245.
    Not bad -55$ on the weekend but here comes the insane part. Some vendors buy shit for more then they should and sell shit for less.

Sold some shitty chinese cards, a shitty new Karakas, and a shitty Italian Karakas and turned them into this:

Could I have gone to work and made more money then I did? Probably.
    Could I get good at magic and win a GP and make real money? Doubtful.
    Did I have a great time casting chalice against a Reanimator Monkey? Yes.

Remember Kids, when you get old dont try to drink like you are 18 again.

Pictures incoming soon as I get done taking a poop .
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Re: Legacy Weekend at Team Sealed GP

Remember Kids, when you get old dont try to drink like you are 18 again.
    Can confirm. Nedleeds knows how to pick shitty Jamaican rum which says destroy target Humphreys.

Also, the value on those events were sick.

Aug 2016
    Dublin, Ireland

Damn fine read, my word

I missed this detailed report because I rarely read this board anymore.

I registered for the Saturday Legacy at 10:02 after being told I'd make evens by the staff and that I could make it. Then they tell me I need a deck list for this event I couldn't give a fourth of a shit about. I fill one out in 30 seconds.

OP beats me round one because he's an ape and despite having an answer to chalice every time and mooning him I can't find a plow in approximately 30 Magic the Gathering cards. Just as the creator intended.

Round two I get deck checked in the 16 person event with combined prizes worth less than basically any card in my deck. Massive shocker I have an error in the list I filled out in four seconds, and missed my Pimpulses.

I snap drop. I walk away to make sure all my beta dual lands are still present in my deck. The judge comes over and offers emotional support because he's a millennial. I tell him I don't want to play anyway because I'm in the 0-1 bracket of a casual event I signed up for to help out the organizer and got deck checked and am now down a game to some random who likely cares more than I do. He asks if I'm OK and it takes all my humanity to just walk away.

This man is on pox.

I buy an extra Walk, Recall, Sapphire and get about 200 cards signed. Vintage doesn't fire because we're in an impoverished area of the United States and the event overlaps with Legacy. I get so bored I get some beta duals and Cities of Brass altered.

I get more bored and buy an extra Mana Drain for 93/94.

I learn about the slave owner who founded the livestock market this GP is taking place in.

Saturday night I attempt to drink the aforementioned faceless Taxman under the table at some dive bar with plastic shot glasses but he uses pickled eggs to hang with me. He decides to hit on women at least double his age once he has his 6th shot of rum.

He ends up at a black high school reunion at 3:15am in the morning. He's white.

We leave Sunday morning to get home to a more prosperous land.

Thread Information