Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Aether Revolt -or- Kaladesh 2: Ghirapur Drift

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Re: Aether Revolt -or- Kaladesh 2: Ghirapur Drift

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    No, this ability is totally broken in all formats, even Vintage. It's playable in Vintage more than any other format, actually, since fast mana is kind of our thing. We can power it out with Tezzerator artifact mana, Dark Rituals, Tinker, or Mishra's Workshop. The card absolutely has competition in all of those decks, so it probably will not be a sea change or anything, but it is absolutely playable.

Look at it this way. Once you have this out, every spell you cast is a Dark Ritual. That is totally bonkers broken and nuts. Add to that the fact that it combos with virtually every card ever printed, and you have a busted engine the likes of which we have not seen in ages. This is absolutely Urza's Block 2.0.

Indeed, it's practically the PERFECT card for Masterpiece treatment. You can get an Ornithopter for a dime if you want, they were printed basically forever. Price isn't a barrier to PLAY the card. But if you want to pimp it, HERE YOU GO.

This should be the model for ALL Magic cards.
    If you want to pimp it, Antiquities copies sell for a few bucks.

If you want to Boughetto it, HERE YOU GO.

Paradox Engine could be a fun card to play alongside Paradoxical Outcome. Cast Outcome, untap and tap your artifact Mana, and then bounce it all to replay for Mana and use it to play what you drew.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    Sure:

Turn 1: Ancient Tomb -> Grim Monolith
    Turn 2: Paradox Engine, Mox Opal, Mox Diamond or Veinfire Borderpost
    Turn 3: another mana rock, Searing Touch with buyback for infinite damage (needs 5 mana from artifacts)
    Working off this idea what would be a preliminary deck list?

//Lands

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Wasteland
    5 Islands?

//Paradox

4 Paradox Engine

//Mana Rocks

4 Basalt Monolith
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Mox Diamond

//Win Conditions
    4 Staff of Domination
    2 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 Emrakul, The Aeons Torn

//Search + Draw
    4 Intuition
    4 Gitaxian Probe

//Protection
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

I am not sure that quite works. . . there isn't enough draw to keep the engine going. . .

I'd be looking at something which has cheap cantrip effects and can play almost any color. And trust me, there are a lot of cheap artifact cantrip effects.

EDIT: this sort of slots into old Sensei-Sensei lists easily. Add in the new mechanic (Convoke for artifacts) and you have a really interesting card on your hands. I can theoretically see a mono-Blue list working, as well as an infinite Scepter list working.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I am not sure that quite works. . . there isn't enough draw to keep the engine going. . .
    Might be getting into single card discussion territory here, but we're not really competing with other discussion so I don't really care.

I think you want more STD/Brainstorm in that list.

Why are you playing Ensnaring Bridge in a combo list that's looking to finish with a fattie?

More generally, I think you're better off with chainable tutor effects and storm than with raw card draw. Stuff like Gifts Ungiven, Mystical Teachings and Cunning Wish can do a lot of work. Repeal might be good too...

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Why are you playing Ensnaring Bridge in a combo list that's looking to finish with a fattie?
    Because it's slower than the fastest combo out there and it gives you time to assemble the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Might be getting into single card discussion territory here, but we're not really competing with other discussion so I don't really care.

I think you want more STD/Brainstorm in that list.

More generally, I think you're better off with chainable tutor effects and storm than with raw card draw. Stuff like Gifts Ungiven, Mystical Teachings and Cunning Wish can do a lot of work. Repeal might be good too...
    I was thinking of a blue shell with lots of tap abilities and cheap instants. Bonus points for playing maindeck GY hate.

Can always just throw in paradoxical outcome as well since you can tap all your mana rocks, cast outcome, untap all your mana rocks, tap them again for mana, then pick them up and draw cards, then play them out again to start netting even more mana and go for some kind of storm kill as well. Will it be better than ANT or TES? Probably not. Will it look like a knock off version of what you can do in vintage? Kind of. Will it be a cool novelty while comboing off? Definitely. Throw in something equally as cute as Vedelkan Archmage, up the cantrip count, drop a couple of lands, play fetches and seas, and you can even think about adding in FoW.

Also has some playability in High Tide/12 Post builds that run a set of candelabra as a way of getting even more out of your candelabras but it just seems too cute and unnecessary, if not hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    Can always just throw in paradoxical outcome as well since you can tap all your mana rocks, cast outcome, untap all your mana rocks, tap them again for mana, then pick them up and draw cards, then play them out again to start netting even more mana and go for some kind of storm kill as well. Will it be better than ANT or TES? Probably not. Will it look like a knock off version of what you can do in vintage? Kind of. Will it be a cool novelty while comboing off? Definitely. Throw in something equally as cute as Vedelkan Archmage, up the cantrip count, drop a couple of lands, play fetches and seas, and you can even think about adding in FoW.

Also has some playability in High Tide/12 Post builds that run a set of candelabra as a way of getting even more out of your candelabras but it just seems too cute and unnecessary, if not hilarious.
    It's actually incredibly strong in Spring Tide decks, as each cast nets you a ton more mana, regardless of whether the spell actually resolves. It greatly increases the resiliency of the deck.

Sep 2010
    MNL

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    It's actually incredibly strong in Spring Tide decks, as each cast nets you a ton more mana, regardless of whether the spell actually resolves. It greatly increases the resiliency of the deck.
    It only untaps nonland permanents.
    Cockatrice: p00nm4n

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by mrjumbo03 View Post
    It only untaps nonland permanents.
    Luckily the deck plays candelabras.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

What a great combo. Requiring the crap Legendary Artifact + Candelabra and still do less than a simple TimeSpiral /s
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Luckily the deck plays candelabras.
    Not all of them, it's recommended but not necessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    What a great combo. Requiring the crap Legendary Artifact + Candelabra and still do less than a simple TimeSpiral /s
    Agreed

Just remember the cuter the deck the sooner you can go get drinks on Day 1 of a GP.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Likely not great. Just wanted to point out why it was suggested for spring tide.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

New suspected spoiler:

Peacekeeper Colossus
    Artifact - Vehicle (R)
    : Anoither target Vehicle you control becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
    Crew 4
    6/6

Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    ...then pick them up and draw cards, then play them out again to start netting even more mana and go for some kind of storm kill as well...
    They untap each other as they get cast so it can snowball pretty hard.

Paradox engine + Recycle
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I think you take out the 4x High Tides so you can get Candelabra end-of-turn!

Wait....

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That's 3, Assembly-Worker tribal here I come. Make that 4, missed there was one on the last set. And no, I am not playing 7 mana for a 2/2 worker, so that Land doesn't count.

Edit:
    The fuck is this?

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information