Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Aether Revolt -or- Kaladesh 2: Ghirapur Drift

Re: Aether Revolt -or- Kaladesh 2: Ghirapur Drift

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    So, here's a question.

Why is Walking Ballista plummeting to a $2.00 preorder ($8.00 foil) and why is the Legacy Affinity thread not bumping with people building with this?
    The cost of the put a counter on is way too high. It seems like a decent card, but it's also extremely risky, especially with it costing 2 mana for a single ping.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's going to see play in Stax and Bomber Man, but I don't know what else. The reason is both those decks can make an arbitrary amount of Mana. I suspect it's home will be the last piece of a combo quite often, and little else.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    The cost of the put a counter on is way too high. It seems like a decent card, but it's also extremely risky, especially with it costing 2 mana for a single ping.
    Doesn't cost any more to put a counter on it than to put a counter on Triskelion. Legacy affinity doesn't play games with +1/+1 counters, but shops and modern affinity do.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I don't think that's right at all. This card is really good, certainly at least as good as Hangarback, and it all-but-completely obsoletes Triskeleon.

Like Trike, Ballista gives Ravager “double strike” in the sense that you can swing with Ravager, then sac Ravager to itself and modulate the counters over to Ballista and unload. It’s a potential turn 2 kill with the right hand, but ignoring that, the ability to turn Ravager counters into free pings is totally nuts. Being able to do this for 2 mana instead of 6 is huge.

On top of all of that, when you’re not doing amazing things, this is an artifact Fireball. For as much as you want to spend, it converts 2 mana into 1 damage. Does there exist a better source of mana-to-damage in artifacts? In all of Magic? I guess Aeoplile converts 3-to-2, so that’s better, but other than that I’m coming up short.

And then they have the audacity to give it a way to ramp itself up if you have 4 spare mana in the midgame? Insanity.

....and it gets EVEN BETTER. This guy is a mana sink for infinite mana combos to win the game -- from your hand OR FROM PLAY. He's a winning part of Hulk-Flash style lists. It slices, it dices, it does your laundry!

I don't think that's right at all. This card is really good, certainly at least as good as Hangarback, and it all-but-completely obsoletes Triskeleon.
    Triskelion has a use beyond Mike + Trike or Phyrexian Devourer/ Necrotic Ooze combo?

Walking Ballista seems $1 combo piece to me. It's not near as good as Hangerback, value-per-mana wise.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

For fun, maybe some type of Construct Tribal?

Mana

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Lands

4 Mox Opal
    4 Chalice of the void

Constructs

4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Adaptive Automaton
    4 Chief of the Foundry
    4 Foundry Inspector
    4 Memnite
    4 Steel Overseer

Non-Construct Creatures

4 Arcbound Ravager

Also just saying its not strictly better than triskelion. 4/4 > 3/3
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    For fun, maybe some type of Construct Tribal?

Mana

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Lands

4 Mox Opal
    4 Chalice of the void

Constructs

4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Adaptive Automaton
    4 Chief of the Foundry
    4 Foundry Inspector
    4 Memnite
    4 Steel Overseer

Non-Construct Creatures

4 Arcbound Ravager
    Metalworker, Voltaic Construct and Kuldotha Forgemaster are all constructs too.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Also just saying its not strictly better than triskelion. 4/4 > 3/3
    It's all-but-completely better. You don't reach for a Trike because you want to pay 6 for a 4/4. You do so because you want a way to snipe off heatbears, act as a force multiplier with Ravager, and give you some reach. Having a card that can do this at 2, 4, 6, 8, or whatever instead of just at 6.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Metallic Mimic + Walking Ballista + Enduring Renewal ... slow for Legacy but maybe just right for Modern?

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Metallic Mimic + Walking Ballista + Enduring Renewal ... slow for Legacy but maybe just right for Modern?
    Is renewal modern legal?

Anyway, that clown card never works out how you want. It has to come down after everything else is assembled, which is a huge pain in the rear. Is there another way to get this effect?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Metalworker, Staff, Walker.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Is renewal modern legal?
    It's timeshifted, so yes.

Just to point out, now that people have had a chance to actually play with Walking Ballista, the price has gone from $3.00 nonfoil to near $8.00 nonfoil since the 15th.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Ae...Ballista#paper

Card is good.

121.3. If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it as a state-based action, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it.

Metallic Mimic can act like Melira 5-8 naming ouphe/assasin to do infinite life/damage with sac outlet.

Does having more Meliraish effects improve this strategy or is GSZ for Melira make it unnecessary?
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    121.3. If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it as a state-based action, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it.

Metallic Mimic can act like Melira 5-8 naming ouphe/assasin to do infinite life/damage with sac outlet.

Does having more Meliraish effects improve this strategy or is GSZ for Melira make it unnecessary?
    It's awfully nice. Anafenza did something similar, but it was WW.

Thread Information