Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tournament rule changes

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Tournament rule changes

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...tes-2016-09-26

Mostly minor stuff, except pile shuffling isn't really considered randomizing anymore. And the Conspiracy/Ante banlist bullshit has been kept in check.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Re: Tournament rule changes

Only 1 pile shuffle allowed per randomization. I like it.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I don't think this enough, really. Should be once per match, prior to the 1st game for counting. Beyond that, don't justify it around sufficient randomization, justify it around time constraints.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    I don't think this enough, really. Should be once per match, prior to the 1st game for counting. Beyond that, don't justify it around sufficient randomization, justify it around time constraints.
    I do it twice, 7 piles, placing on a random pile each time. The reason is, my shuffling skills are poor and I always seem to get stuck with land clumps. If I was at a large event, I would just pass my deck to a judge over trying my luck.

Just to note. I have issues shuffling due to extensive damage in my left hand. Most of it was rebuilt as a kid and I have near on no sensation in it. I am also left handed. These things together mean as much as I try, I can not solve the issues I have with shuffling, because I need to be looking at whatever I am doing with my left hand or I will drop the item in question. A judge becomes my only reasonable out.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

At least you can still play the piano!

Was pile shuffling really a huge factor in 'rated' tournaments from a time-wasting standpoint?

Sometimes. Mostly, it was a cheating thing, since a crappy mash or well-done riffle meant your deck was only semi-random.

It's more a quality of life thing at the level most people play at. I'm sure everyone here has played against the dude who obsessively pile shuffles before every game and then does one mash and presents his deck like he didn't just waste five minutes of your life.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

...a player may only pile shuffle once each time a deck is randomized.
    So after every fetch I can pile?

I generally pile at the start of each game, exactly to count the number of cards without having to keep the numbers in my head. So I get that, but also piling it in the middle of a game seems excessive.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    So after every fetch I can pile?...
    You could go with the 1-minute 'wash' shuffle.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I do it twice, 7 piles, placing on a random pile each time. The reason is, my shuffling skills are poor and I always seem to get stuck with land clumps. If I was at a large event, I would just pass my deck to a judge over trying my luck.
    Isn't clumping one of the hallmarks of true randomization? Even if you are not consciously trying to follow any kind of pattern when choosing the next pile, it's going to be hard to actually do it randomly. You'd end up with piles of drastically different sizes lots of the time, and even then it would be hard to convince a skeptical opponent that you're not placing the next card deliberately.

I can't really riffle shuffle either. No good excuse or anything, I just suck at it and haven't tried to learn. Best I can do is the side/mash shuffle and even then I have to look at what I'm doing. Hasn't really been a problem though, as I try to keep everything face-down. Or it could just be that I lose often enough that nobody actually cares.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I don't like creases in my money, so I don't riffle.

Found this site trying to find the term for what is called an 'overhand' shuffle...
    http://www.wikihow.com/Shuffle-a-Deck-of-Playing-Cards
    I was expecting the videos to actually show the entire shuffle, not repeat steps in a loop. I sat there like when the first video kept showing a hand holding a pack of cards from different angles...

Anyways, I alternate mashing with overhand shuffling.
    I only pile to calm my nerves or make myself feel better after drawing too many/few lands.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Isn't clumping one of the hallmarks of true randomization? Even if you are not consciously trying to follow any kind of pattern when choosing the next pile, it's going to be hard to actually do it randomly. You'd end up with piles of drastically different sizes lots of the time, and even then it would be hard to convince a skeptical opponent that you're not placing the next card deliberately.
    Yes, it can be. But after a game where you have separated all your Lands and spells just be the nature of playing, you end up with two clumps. I have issues separating them by shuffling alone.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I tend to just hand shuffle. I'll tell my opponent to cut my deck, poker style, if they ever suspect shenanigan's are afoot.
    And yeah, I've asked the cut an opponents' deck when I suspect them of being funny too.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I pile at the beginning of a match usually. Sometimes in between games, but I play at a quick pace so I've never had an issue when shuffling
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...tes-2016-09-26

Mostly minor stuff, except pile shuffling isn't really considered randomizing anymore. And the Conspiracy/Ante banlist bullshit has been kept in check.
    Pleased to see that.

Nice to finally see Conspiracy cards gone from the banlist. Ante cards too, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    I tend to just hand shuffle. I'll tell my opponent to cut my deck, poker style, if they ever suspect shenanigan's are afoot.
    And yeah, I've asked the cut an opponents' deck when I suspect them of being funny too.
    You are doing it wrong, IMHO. A decision to shuffle or cut an opponent's deck should never be based on a suspicion.

Certainly a step in the correct direction. Lossett's crusade has worked!

Yes, it can be. But after a game where you have separated all your Lands and spells just be the nature of playing, you end up with two clumps. I have issues separating them by shuffling alone.
    I mean, you've heard this all before, but here it is again:

If you find that pile shuffling creates a different distribution of lands in your deck from true randomization (riffle shuffling, etc) then that is a Bad Thing. (I won't use the "c" word here because I don't want to inflame anyone's passions). If you pile shuffle because you think it avoids land clumps, you are doing a Bad Thing.

I think what you're trying to say is that you never learned to properly riffle shuffle, but that's ok, you can use other kinds of shuffles, too. Or you can let your opponent (a.k.a Ol' Cheeto-Fingers) do it. (You are double-sleevin, right?) There's really no excuse for the ol' Pile Shuffle except to help count the cards to make sure you didn't keep your sideboard cards in.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I think what you're trying to say is that you never learned to properly riffle shuffle, but that's ok, you can use other kinds of shuffles, too.
    I have issues shuffling due to extensive damage in my left hand. Most of it was rebuilt as a kid and I have near on no sensation in it. I am also left handed.
    The Six Million Dollar Mate gets a pass.

Anyone else a fan of the 60 card pick up shuffle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Thread Information