Thread: 6-2-1 at EE5. Grixis Delver is great.

6-2-1 at EE5. Grixis Delver is great.

So my name is Brenden McCarley, I am 15 and live in Pennsylvania. I never really stick with the same legacy deck as I don't have money for my own cards, generally relying on borrowing cards from a few of my friends who collectively have every deck built but lands. I have been playing Grixis Delver Recently because I believe it is one of the best decks in the format.

My list for reference

Main (60)

8 Blue Fetches
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Young Pyromancer
    2 Gurmag Angler
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Dismember
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    2 Cabal Therapy

Sideboard (15)
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Snuff Out
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Winter Orb
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Cabal Therapy

RD 1 Zombardment?? (2-1)

I sit down against my opponent and notice he has barely any numbers in his DCI, indicating he has been playing a long time. He sits across from me and proceeds to drop his deck on the ground and have trouble shuffling. Makes a remark about new sleeves. I feel something fishy but say nothing and just shuffle his deck after he presents. He is playing a fully foreign and almost fully foiled deck. Foil Fetches, Foil Japanese Carrion Feeders, everything. I lose Game 1. The next 2 games are standard delver on 1 plus interaction and I win fairly easily.

RD 2 Enchantress (2-0, Backup Feature Match)

I make a little bit of small talk with my opponent and start playing. Game 1 I have a pyromancer and counter everything he does, fairly easy game. Game 2 he resolves a doom wake giant and begins to kill my delvers by playing 2 enchantments. I bolt him down to 2 and topdeck another bolt to win. This matchup seems fairly easy for the delver side but that is only anecdotal evidence.

RD 3 Jeskai Stoneblade?? (0-2)

I begin with delver on 1 and he arid mesa's for a mountain and bolts my Delver. Internally I am thinking he is playing burn. That changes when he plays a volcanic and then a tundra and a true-name. Game 2 he jams a true name on 3 and I have no countermagic for it and lose quickly.

RD 4 Elves (0-2)

Traditionally a good matchup, and I know the person i was playing against. Game 1 I have him dead the next turn and theraoy his hand, 3 lands. He topdecks Natural Order and wins. Game 2 I spend too much time wastelanding and not applying a clock and lose.

RD 5 BUG (2-1)

Game 1 I play multiple wastelands and use my DRS to eat lands in response to his DRS trying to eat lands. I probe him and he concedes to preserve information. I assume he is on aluren or food chain and board accoridngly. Game 2 I keep a 1 lander and 3 brainstorms and 1 ponder never get me there. Game 3 I realize he is playing a generic BUG list with Leovold over Shardless Agent. I win fairly easily as Delver on 1 and a few dazes is great.

RD 6 (2-1) ANT

Also a good matchup, game 1 I have a single counterspell in pierce, I tap out for a pyromancer and he probes me and then goes off. Game 2 I mulligan to 4 and manage to win. Drew a very timely wasteland and he is forced to Ad Nauseum at 4 life and doesn't get there. Game 3 I play delver on 1 and hold up pierce and pyroblast. Counter his Ad Nauseum and the game is basically over.

RD 7 Infect (2-0)

Game 1 I am able to bolt his creatures and apply pressure with pyromancer tokens and a Delver. Game 2 I pithing needle inkmoth, therapy blighted agent, bolt hierarch, and wasteland inkmoth. Very satisfyinh turn. He ends up spending 3 mana to invigorate my pyromancer as I swing for lethal.

RD 8 Maverick (2-0)

Game 1 I win simply because he forgot to activate a DRS end of my turn and that would have been enough that he could attack and kill me. Game 2 I wasteland him 3 times and snuff out his KOTR.

RD 9 Miracles (ID)

By Drawing we each get 140 which I am content with.

Overall I feel pretty confident about how I did although I would have liked to do better (Went X-2 at EE3 and X-2 for Legacy and X-2 for Modern at EE4). I am sure this is probably not the greatest tournament report ever but if you guys have any questions about the event or suggesitons on how I can improve my report that would be appreciated. Also to not I might have gotten the match numbers mixed up but I believe that was the order I played them in.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: 6-2-1 at EE5. Grixis Delver is great.

On some level, it's amazing to me that you are 15 and playing Legacy. Most Legacy players I know are approaching 30 or are older than 30. Sometimes people on these boards speak poorly of young players and assert that they enjoy a smaller, older crowd, but I think it's great when new people join. Congrats on your EE5 showing.

With tournament reports, more details always make a better report, but this was a good start. I think people also appreciate a wrap-up at the end, discussing what cards were good, what cards you'll be switching out, etc. Sounds like you were satisfied with the deck, so I imagine you'll be running it back at some point. Also, you often can get more interest if you cross-post or put a link in the forum containing the deck you played. Some people browse all of The Source, and some people stick to a few threads only.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    On some level, it's amazing to me that you are 15 and playing Legacy. Most Legacy players I know are approaching 30 or are older than 30. Sometimes people on these boards speak poorly of young players and assert that they enjoy a smaller, older crowd, but I think it's great when new people join. Congrats on your EE5 showing.
    Depends on where you go, most legacy crowds I've run into are fairly tight nite and welcoming. Typically they just want more people to play with and if you are fairly trustable, will lend out cards to people.

Moreover, if you are active in trading, it isn't impossible to trade into legacy if you stay at it (dunno how much a 15 can trade nor if he could necessarily find the people to trade with), may take a while but certainly possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

I did own my own legacy deck at one point. I play different decks varying on the perceived meta, so I said to hell wiht just having one deck and put a cube together. Gotten a few camera amtches before as well, people tend to be suprised someone my age is playing legacy. Also to note, this is my worst showing at EE which is dissapointing. Went X-2 in LEgacy at EE3 and X-2 in Modern and Legacy at EE4.

Jan 2011
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by brenden2000 View Post

By Drawing we each get 140 which I am content with.
    Is this a different EE5 than EE5 Baltimore 2016? Reading the report of the winner, IsThisACatInAHat?, there was no prize splitting or drawing in the top 8.
    Could just be mixing things up...

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Spigore View Post
    Is this a different EE5 than EE5 Baltimore 2016? Reading the report of the winner, IsThisACatInAHat?, there was no prize splitting or drawing in the top 8.
    Could just be mixing things up...
    You can always split with your opponent and handle it yourselves (I've split prizes with my QF opponent in a no split top-8 before). Alternatively the x-2-1 (or top-24/32) paid out 140 each, and they liked that more than playing for whatever top-16/X-2 paid out.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Thread Information