Thread: Time efficient way to use "Port" effects

Time efficient way to use "Port" effects

I've played a fair bit of Rishadan Port and recently Opposition. I've always found it a hassle to tap opponents lands or creatures, it can also consume an insane portion of the clock. I would tap a creature, the opponent activates Mother of Runes, I would retap, he would activate another one, etc. I see similar gimmick with tapping lands and floating mana except the opponent can try to trick you with a double priority pass by arguing that the activated ability didn't resolve when you move to draw; making it even more elaborate.

How do you shortcut those to take the least time possible and offering the less opportunity to the opponent to accumulate mana to cast spells in upkeep, draw step and choosing the right colors? Let say my opponent has Forest, Bayou, Swamp and might have Abrupt Decay. I want to tap the basic that produced the same colour as he floated so he has to tap out to cast a spell.

I'd like to know how you reduce the minutiae to the maximum to play quickly and bringing the match to conclusion.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Time efficient way to use "Port" effects

On the opposite side, I try to make their upkeep shenanigans a bit easier on them. I find that frequently, the confusion arrives when people zoom through the start of their turn, doing things like untap, draw, play a land in the span of half a second. At big events, you'll usually hear one or two arguments saying that someone can't do their upkeep effects because the player has already drawn their card.

If they've got Ports or I've seen a Clique, or any other probably upkeep ability, I'll say out loud "Untap. Upkeep..... Draw." I give a solid second or second and a half between upkeep and draw. If they haven't at least interjected in that time, they've lost their reasonable chance at using their upkeep effect.

I don't often play the side with Ports but when I do, I always try to interject as quickly as possible. As I said, most people will jump to drawing. If they haven't specifically given me an opening to use my abilities, as soon as they touch the top of their deck, I interject with my effect.

I've said along the lines of "I end my turn; I have an effect during your upkeep".

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

As you know, every phase and step in the game happens, and only ends when both players pass priority with an empty stack. Fortunately, we're not playing MTGO IRL and we frequently shortcut things; i.e. going right to drawing a card after untapping. Shortcuts like this have found their way into the norm and are essentially assumed to happen unless a player intervenes.

It's imperative to know (as a player who wants to do upkeep effects on your opponent's turn) that the onus is on you to make your intentions clear before the other player draws their card.

From a blog post by Level 5 judge Kevin Desprez:

Actions taken during Upkeep and Draw step are so rare that they have not been codified by a shortcut. Instead, NAP needs to be clear that they want to intervene. This realistically, gives a small extra information to AP but this is something we are generally fine with for the sake of a smoother flow.
    I'm sure there's a better post going into upkeep/draw step actions in more detail, but I recently read this one and it was fresh in my mind.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    I've said along the lines of "I end my turn; I have an effect during your upkeep".
    This is how I do it as well, or if I have a Clique I say "effects after draw before main phase."
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

At the end of my turn I'll say I have an effect on their upkeep, or as their untapping their permanents. If I have 2+Ports in play, I will split the use between upkeep and draw step.

Edit, when I play lands, and have Tabby out, I wait until their draw step to tap down their mana against a critter deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I typically announce when I pass the turn that I want to know when it is their upkeep, although after playing enough blue decks where they'd typically float a blue mana and Brainstorm in response to my Port activation before drawing, I now will activate Port at the end of their draw step instead of the end of upkeep if my opponent is playing blue (or Top).

Thread Information