Thread: Discussing Teferi's Realm

Discussing Teferi's Realm

I would like to know what you think about teferi's Realm.
    I see this card from time to time in some vintage's sideboard deck, but I really wonder what it's the thing.
    Is this card only played against (in vintage) artifact to avoid taxes effects ?
    IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

Dec 2014
    Philly area

Re: Discussing Teferi's Realm

702.23j Phased-out tokens cease to exist as a state-based action. See rule 704.5d.
    In Vintage, it's an answer to Mentor and Pyromancer.

Edit: In legacy, when stoneforge decks were all the rage, people would run Sapphire Charm as an answer to Batterskull for a similar reason: when the germ phases out, so does the equipment attached to it. The germ ceases to exist and the equipment never phases back in.

But the thing is Teferi's Realm dosent affect tokens, only cards.
    I don't see how the Gem of Batterskull nor the tokens army from Pyromancer are phased out by Teferi.
    Am I missing the big spot of the card ?

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

It was occasionally played in Vintage combo sideboards to help combat lock pieces. For example, you could have Realm remove all artifacts, and then attempt to go off, or remove all creatures (Thalia + hatebears) and then go off. The problem is it costs 3 mana before taxing effects, which is why more decks don't use it against Workshop strategies.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    It was occasionally played in Vintage combo sideboards to help combat lock pieces. For example, you could have Realm remove all artifacts, and then attempt to go off, or remove all creatures (Thalia + hatebears) and then go off. The problem is it costs 3 mana before taxing effects, which is why more decks don't use it against Workshop strategies.

So ok, Teferi's Realm is so essentially a wrath of Taxes against artifacts. Thanks.

Thread Information