Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Commander 2016 Spoiler Thread

Re: Commander 2016 Spoiler Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post

This seems insane in Elves. Sure, it doesn't let you activate Symbiote again, but otherwise it lets you generate insane amounts of mana. At worst, it cantrips.
    Call to Arms...?

EDIT: Aw hell, that's not the card. It's got a similar name, though, a 1W instant from Mirrodin, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Call to Arms...?

EDIT: Aw hell, that's not the card. It's got a similar name, though, a 1W instant from Mirrodin, I think.
    I mentioned To Arms! above.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Really nice-looking art.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I've had less trouble reading cards like Chains of Mephistophales than this card. Holy crap that sentence sucks.

When X, as you cast spells Y.

Also this card:

Maybe it's just me but for all the negatives in that sentence it sure doesn't do a whole lot.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

I was thinking about the new red confiscate and it's pretty interesting. Beside being undercosted for such an effect (1 more mana than threaten but any permanent and every turn? Like wat), it counter show and tell like nobody's business. It can control both emrakul and omniscience, and it basically give them to you two turns in a row, with your opponent able to use it only in response to the control trigger. Not as useful against most other permanents, but against planeswalkers it's basically destroy that planeswalker and use one of its abilities. Against creatures make racing basically impossible for your opponent as it will give you said creature each turn. Being an enchantment that cost 4 make also pretty hard to remove in the format, and the best way to get rid of it it's probably to get rid of the enchanted permanent, in which case it's a 2-for-1.

It's a purely reactive card so not likely to see play, but damn if it's a new, interesting and powerful effect, in a color that need it too.

EDIT: you can't enchant something that came out at the same time with SnT. I'm dumb sorry.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Benefactor's draught looks a lot like a charm in disguise to me. I can't immediately see a good way to get three cards from it, but if you have some creatures that want to activate something, like ulvenwald tracker or knight of the reliquary, you get two cards if you cast this during a combat with one blocker and also an extra use of the attacking creature. You could even fetch and use Maze of ith if it was not a good attack.

This is pretty good and subtle card design. I can see why it is a rare when it looks at first glance to be a common sort of effect.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Benefactor's draught looks a lot like a charm in disguise to me. I can't immediately see a good way to get three cards from it, but if you have some creatures that want to activate something, like ulvenwald tracker or knight of the reliquary, you get two cards if you cast this during a combat with one blocker and also an extra use of the attacking creature. You could even fetch and use Maze of ith if it was not a good attack.

This is pretty good and subtle card design. I can see why it is a rare when it looks at first glance to be a common sort of effect.
    I'm pretty sure you can't cast it after blocks are declared and still draw extra ?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't cast it after blocks are declared and still draw extra ?
    Hmm, I think you are right. That makes it a far less interesting card to me.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Correct, 'blocks' means 'is declared as a blocker.'

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Correct, 'blocks' means 'is declared as a blocker.'
    So what about Thrasios, Triton Hero, that UG 1/3 guy. So cloudpost.deck is ug!? Well its kinda slow but it could still snowball to a victory. At least vs aggro it can block, kinda... and ramp these lifegain locus out to stabilize...

Probably not competitive but should at least be a casual stomper. I mean in this deck its a 2 mana wincon!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    So what about Thrasios, Triton Hero, that UG 1/3 guy. So cloudpost.deck is ug!? Well its kinda slow but it could still snowball to a victory. At least vs aggro it can block, kinda... and ramp these lifegain locus out to stabilize...

Probably not competitive but should at least be a casual stomper. I mean in this deck its a 2 mana wincon!
    Well like I said:

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Anyway, let's talk about the card getting so little press that not even the major retailers have figured out his preorder price yet:

This guy is not splashy, he won't cause people to freak out when he lands, but he seems really, really strong to me. For 2 mana you get a x/3, which is great at stopping early beats or even punching through 1 damage against x/2s. Once you hit 4 mana, if you are playing a draw-go deck, this is the best Jadmeaye Tome ever printed. 4 mana to draw a card OR put the land right out there? And he doesn't tap to do it? So he can block or attack and still give you access to this ability? On top of all of that, he's a win condition with infinite mana. We're not really at a loss for those, but the most comparable way to win when you go infinite is Ambassador Laqatus, and this card is probably just completely better than the Legend because it has more general utility.

The other direct comparison is Azure Mage, which is also a fine card that wins when you go infinite, but a 2/1 body is not exactly what a deck that wants to play draw-go (leaving mana up for the draw ability) is going for. And, of course, it doesn't accelerate your land like the Triton Lord does.

I'm intrigued!
    He's better than any of the 2-drop card advantage dorks they've tried so far, including Azure Mage and Patrick Starfish. Card seems very interesting for a draw-go control deck looking for a win condition with unlimited mana.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I am going to partner up the two G/U commanders me thinks. That looks fun. Also maybe then people will bitch less when they play against me then they do right now when I pull out one of the Trest twins. Those two are busted.

For Commander, a format I only got into in the last 12 months, these sets appeal. While their effect on Legacy is muted compared to the days of Flusterstorm and TNN, I personally don't see the harm in that. After all, Conspiracy and to a likely more limited extent Archenemy offer ways to move card into the format without making these commander products crazy again.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I think they really have hit some good ideas with both Undaunted and Myriad for creating fun multiplayer cards. Beyond that, 40 life formats are so fundamentally different from 20 life formats that the efficiency of pressures of Legacy (Delver) don't exist for commander, making it really hard to truly balance for both (Without just printing cards for combo, which I don't think really is what needs to be happening)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Would you still get the +1/+1 counters if your opponent has no creatures? Or would the trigger fizzle due to lack of targets?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Two targets so each resolves separately - if opponent has no creatures you will get 3 counters and opponent doesn't quite simple.

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Two targets so each resolves separately - if opponent has no creatures you will get 3 counters and opponent doesn't quite simple.
    False. You need to have two legal targets to put this on the stack. It's even in the release notes:

"If there aren’t two legal targets for Evolutionary Escalation’s ability as it’s put onto the stack, it’s taken off the stack and no creature gets +1/+1 counters."

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by TorpidNinja View Post
    False. You need to have two legal targets to put this on the stack. It's even in the release notes:

"If there aren’t two legal targets for Evolutionary Escalation’s ability as it’s put onto the stack, it’s taken off the stack and no creature gets +1/+1 counters."
    But if this ability is already on the stack, removing one of the targets won't cause it to fizzle, correct? I think that's a (somewhat) recent change?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    But if this ability is already on the stack, removing one of the targets won't cause it to fizzle, correct? I think that's a (somewhat) recent change?
    Nah, it's been that way since forever. You need to be able to declare every target on triggering/activating an ability (unless it says up to), but an ability is only countered by the rules if all its legal targets become illegal/nonexistent. Otherwise it does as much as it can to its legal targets. But you eg. need a minimum of six creatures on the field to cast Hex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    No,t here only has to be at least one legal target as the ability resolves. It requires two legal targets to put on the stack, however.

Thread Information