Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Commander 2016 Spoiler Thread

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Commander 2016 Spoiler Thread

Picture:

Seems pretty nifty with Skullbriar, the Walking Grave as Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Picture:

Seems pretty nifty with Skullbriar, the Walking Grave as Commander.
    This is Carrion Feeder's new best friend.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

May 2015
    PDX

Reyhan seems worse than Varolz; I guess you could run both though and Skullbriar.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

The 3rd 4color commander.

6 power for 4 mana, has awesome, is an artifact (does that help?), and if you untap with it, can do all sorts of tricks.

Edits: Also basic lands by Rebecca Guay?! Are those new art?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Edits: Also basic lands by Rebecca Guay?! Are those new art?
    Yeah, all the lands are new art, including the Kev Walker and Mark Poole ones. Pretty much all straight gas.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I'm fairly certain the "artist" took a picture of a wizards employee and digitally blurred the edges to make it look like something he drew... This is not art.
    I actually kinda like it. Has a sort of Judge Holden vibe to it. Holden is a tad bit worse than "boorish" though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    ...is an artifact (does that help?)...
    Sure. There are a bunch of 'cares about artifact' cards like Transmute Artifact or Goblin Welder. Not sure it makes a practical difference.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Sure. There are a bunch of 'cares about artifact' cards like Transmute Artifact or Goblin Welder. Not sure it makes a practical difference.
    The fact that she can sac self makes difference as she leaves 1 Thopter behind; so cast -> sac her + thopter -> weld her back with last thopter. This is a huge amount of hoops to jump through and doesn't win the game, but it's at least interesting.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The fact that she can sac self makes difference as she leaves 1 Thopter behind; so cast -> sac her + thopter -> weld her back with last thopter. This is a huge amount of hoops to jump through and doesn't win the game, but it's at least interesting.
    Honestly, she has a lot going on though. If you go the Welder route, you can just forget the unnecessary colors and bin her with Faithless Looting or something. You can go aggro with her, or use her sac ability which does not require either a color or an untap. The Welder decks of old could fetch Triskelion, which could ping itself, but it did not leave behind an artifact to bring it back. This appears to represent an advancement of that plan, though it is still a puny plan.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I feel like if you have welder there are better things you can be doing. If Breya is good or not depends on whether the ideal of casting her turn 3, and untapping turn 4 with 5 or more artifacts is such a winning position that having cast Breya on turn 3 isntead of JTMS or one of the the Tezzs was the right call.

It sucks that the card is able to go infinite as long as you are able to generate infinite (colored) mana, I don't really look forward to an artifact based control dack able to go infinite in the late game, it seems pretty boring to play against
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    ...The Welder decks of old could fetch Triskelion, which could ping itself, but it did not leave behind an artifact to bring it back. This appears to represent an advancement of that plan, though it is still a puny plan.
    The fact that Breya costs mana to activate makes her *much* weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    It sucks that the card is able to go infinite as long as you are able to generate infinite (colored) mana, I don't really look forward to an artifact based control dack able to go infinite in the late game, it seems pretty boring to play against
    They can already do this when playing blue (not exactly a stretch for an artifact-based control deck) via Power Artifact on the Grim Monolith/Basalt Monolith or mono-brown via Rings of Brightheath + Basalt Monolith. Once you have infinite mana, is having a weldable creature-based sink really all that bad? They are already dumping their hand and have a good weldable sink in Staff of Domination.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

If only this cost 3,

Of course it would be horribly broken then though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

If only this cost 3,

Of course it would be horribly broken then though.
    Same thoughts here, it would be much better at 3 mana, given that it's recruitable.

Still interesting with Eldrazi Displacer, as you can Ultra Fog on demand for .

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    They can already do this when playing blue (not exactly a stretch for an artifact-based control deck) via Power Artifact on the Grim Monolith/Basalt Monolith or mono-brown via Rings of Brightheath + Basalt Monolith. Once you have infinite mana, is having a weldable creature-based sink really all that bad? They are already dumping their hand and have a good weldable sink in Staff of Domination.
    Yes but this is your commander, and as long as it is you can just insta win by just getting infinite mana.

In legacy, of course, this card is useless.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Same thoughts here, it would be much better at 3 mana, given that it's recruitable.

I like it at 4 so it's Decay Proof personally. I could see bringing this guy in against Shardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Everything would be stronger if it cost less, and the card has a pretty high impact ceiling... What's the latest version of turbo fog like?

Tymna the Weaver
    Legendary creature - Human Cleric
    Lifelink
    At the beginning of your postcombat main phase, you may pay X life, where X is the number of opponents who were dealt combat damage this turn. If you do, draw X cards.
    Partner
    2/2

Also, MTG Goldfish has spoiled Oath of Druids as an available card.

Also, there's this for embracing the chaos:

Cruel Entertainment
    Sorcery
    Choose target player and another target player. The first player controls the second player during the second player's nect turn, and the second player controls the first player during the first player's next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    This is kind of cool if you imagine Fireblasting them with this in play...

Or just force their next thing, they take 5. You get to untap and play a Gurmag Angler, Bedlam Reveler, etc.

Fun card, but too incremental/vulnerable for Legacy right now.
    You think too small, my friend. Cast this guy, pass the turn, and then cast Shining Shoal or Nourishing Shoal exiling Autochthon Wurm for 17 to the face.

Thread Information