Page 11 of 97 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Hey all!

So today I went to my (first ever!) sanctioned Legacy event! It was a small group, just a pod of 8, with 3 rounds. We'll be picking some more numbers soon though, I know of at least 3 people who have near finished or finished legacy decks who are gonna start showing up. Another shop in the city closed down last week and they were the main place in the area for legacy, so many of those players are going to be migrating.

Regardless, the reason I'm excited is that I managed to take 1st in the event! I've made a somewhat radical change to my deck recently (the impetus of which was my recent acquisition of a Badlands). I'm curious what you all think of my reasoning for my changes, and would like some advice on some small changes I'm considering.

The List!

Artifacts: 6
    4 Aether Vial
    2 Smuggler's Copter

Creatures: 29
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    3 Goblin Ringleader (!)
    3 Goblin Warchief
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Piledriver
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Grenzo, Dungeon Warden

Instants: 2
    1 Tarfire
    1 Pyrokinesis

Lands: 23
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mountain
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Rishadan Port
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Badlands
    1 Plateau
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    3 Thalia
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Wear//Tear
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Warping Wail

The Matches: I didn't take notes so I'm doing this write-up from memory. For the future, I'd be interested in advice on how you guys keep match notes for large events like GPs. Do you jot them down between games? Between rounds?

Sebastian on Grixis Thieves: On the draw
    I know Sebastian as primarily a vintage player, but I wasn't really sure what he was on at the start of our game. He joked that he might be on reanimator, and I prepared to be savagely beaten. However, I could breathe a sigh of relief when he leads off with a ponder, and reveals himself to be on a grixis variant (I had first assumed Shardless BUG, then Delver).
    Game one was quite a slog, eventually leading to a hardcast pyrokinesis on my end to kill a pyromancer that had accrued some significant value (my ringleader got Cabal Therapy'd)
    However, I manage to pull it to a close with a healthy life total thanks to Krenko + Warchief. He also had flashed in a notion thief at some point to stop me from getting value from my Copter triggers.
    I believe my boarding was: +2 Blood Moon, +2 Pyro, +1 Warping Wail (for presumed toxic deluge. Also kills all creatures in his deck) -4 Lackey, -1 Stingscourger

Game 2 was a massive grind as well. My ringleaders got therapied twice (once off of a cabal therapy he ripped with the git probe. That felt bad). We were both in top deck mode when he finds a pyromancer, and begins to build up a couple of tokens (which trade off with some of mine). At this point, our life totals are neck and neck (I believe he was on 8 and I on 7). I drop a sharpshooter that has my hopes and dreams pinned on it. He draws izzet staticaster, which makes me immensely sad. I draw ringleader, and manage to get into the board state where I have a ringleader (tapped) and a Krenko. I have a mogg war marshal in hand. He has a staticaster and a lone pyromancer. We are about to enter into turn 4 of turns, as time has been called. At the end of my turn, he cast Chaos Warp (which he had as a fun-of) on my Krenko; I get lucky and flip a chieftain off the top of my deck! He untaps, and swings at my face. I'm at 5 and he is at 4. I kinda punt here because I thought I had to play for the win, rather than the draw (I somehow failed to consider that I was up a game), and so I don't block with the Chieftain. His draw for the turn? Bolt, making me dead. We shake hands on a close match, and I'm at 0-1-0.

?? (terrible with names) on 4 Color-favoring bant/splash black Deathblade: On the draw
    I knew he was on some sort of stoneblade variant because I saw him playing earlier. He ponders and I drop a vial off of a port, which thankfully resolves. He surprises me by jamming in a Jitte. I think "well, I'm in trouble now". Fast forward a few turns, I've managed to kill a stoneforge that pulled up a batterskull, and I have a sharpshooter on board. Unfortunately, we reach the state where his board is a batterskull with the germ, jitte (no counters), and DRS. I vial a ringleader, which saves me with a tarfire, a gempalm, and a grenzo. I tarfire + gempalm the germ, allowing sharpshooter to kill the DRS. Grenzo dies soon after. I do now reach the turn that I 100% need to win, because he has TNN about to equip the Jitte. He is at 11 and I'm pretty confident I'm dead, with only a lone Krenko. However, a top decked Warchief changes the math. I go cast Warchief, cast matron getting piledriver, and resolve all. 4 tokens plus a big swing from piledriver kills him on the spot.

Sideboard: +2 Blood Moon, +2 Pyro, +2 Wear//Tear, +1 Cabal Therapy (I liked the idea of snagging equipment tutored by SfM. Not sure if correct because it increases my vulnerability to wasteland. It is possible to cast the therapy off of flashback because I can loot it away with the Copter.

Game 2 was a solid grind, and he has a slow start with only a turn 2 containment priest as initial pressure. I'm disrupted significantly by a daze on my t1 vial, but my hand functions without it thanks to a topdecked land. The situation becomes much scarier when he drops a turn 3 Sword of Fire and Ice. Fortunately, I have the wear//tear in hand. Copter gets on board, and I managed to begin crewing. He lands a stoneforge, grabbing Jitte. The removal was really timely this game because of the reliability in killing stoneforge before it untaps. When he eventually puts the Jitte in play, he also casts a Jace and brainstorms (this was very late game, so we both have 8-9 lands, and I have a vial again). He has 1 card in hand, and I vial in tuktuk to blow up Jitte, and sail a Copter over a DRS to kill jace. My opponent does significantly misplay at this point, as they try to swords to plowshares the tuktuk in response to the crewing, thinking it would stop Copter from becoming a creature.
    Aside; I feel bad for saying no to a rewind because he didn't know how crewing works, but the game was close enough that I felt like I had to hold onto the misplay. Perhaps it's kinda a dick move (after all, it's just a small low-stakes event), but he said I had the choice and I said no. Maybe it shouldn't, but I feel bothered enough by my decision to mention it here.

Anyway! Krenko eventually spells the end for him, and Copter plus a couple of 1/1s takes the match.

Gabriel on....ENCHANTRESS (oh god why): on the draw
    This was the match I was dreading, and I was sure I was screwed. We both keep our 7s, mine on the back of a vial, double port, and a bunch of goblins including Krenko. I figured that the best way to win this match is through mana denial, and I was right. My vial starts to tick up, and I go ports into a wasteland. He gets stuck on mana for a bit this way, as he can't spam enchantments as hard, and only has 1 enchantress effect going. However, a Elephant Grass makes my life difficult, a leyline of sanctity makes a sharpshooter win impossible. However, this game teaches me the magic of Skirk Prospector + Krenko equaling approximately a million mana. With only an elephant grass as an attack tax, I manage to swing with some tokens and a massive 11 power piledriver for the win. Going into game 2, I know that this is my only path to victory.

Board: +2 Wear//Tear, +2 Blood Moon (mostly for Serra's Sanctum), +2 Cabal Therapy, +3 Thalia, +1 Mindbreak (if he chains off a ton of enchantments, I might be able to nail his win condition, be it RIP+Helm, Doomwake Giant, Emrakul, or Sigil of the Empty Throne
    Out: -2 Mogg War Marshal, -1 Stingscourger, -3 Gempalm,-1 Pyro, -1 Tarfire, -1 Sharpshooter, (should have left this in, assuming he boards out Leyline of Sanctity as he did), -1 Grenzo (can't attack through Elephant Grass)

Game two is somewhat uneventful, in that I draw little and die easily. Not much to say much about this one. I do gain the info that he wins via angel tokens and Doomwake giant, which valuable.
    I swap out a war marshal for a gempalm, as it gives me a way to kill Doomwake.

Game 3: Now this was a truly ridiculous mess. I have a solid hand of Thalia and lands to cast her, a vial, a cabal therapy, and some gobs. I run into a bit of a conundrum here, as I have the option of turn 1 fetch for therapy. However, I only have 1 fetch in hand. I opt to cast the vial first, and fetch plateau. I figure that landing Thalia ASAP is more valuable than a blind therapy. I get slightly punished by not drawing another fetch for quite awhile, but I think I made the right choice.
    My opponent here has a very strange draw. He lands many many utopia sprawl effects, and I have little way to stop him because I only draw a single port as land disruption (over the course of the whole game). My turn 2 thalia does prompt him to journey to nowhere thalia. At the end of his turn 2, I vial in lackey, which connects along with a warchief, dropping a krenko into play. On his turn 3, he drops even more utopia sprawls and a mirri's guile. At this point, all I want to see is a wear//tear to free my thalia and some wastelands. Neither come to me. I get one big swing for 6 in, but not much else to do. Soon after, he drops a sphere of safety with 6 enchantments in play, leaving me little hope at this point. Krenko continues to pump out tokens. Each turn, I cannot do much other than make another set of tokens and port down the most heavily enchanted land, trying to cut as much mana as possible. However, I do get lucky here in a way. My opponent cannot seem to find any pieces of the draw engine, and it playing off the top 3 cards of his deck. A doomwake giant eventually comes down, and wipes all the 1/1s, leaving krenko to start up the horde again. I figure I will lose on the next turn, as I draw nothing but lands and he just needs 2 doomwake triggers to wipe board of anything but the krenko. However, he bricks as well, giving me a shot! I peel a matron, which puts me in the tank for a bit. I really want to grab prospector to start being able to attack, but with Doomwake and mirri's guile in play, I'd have to be extraordinarily lucky to have him miss another turn on an enchantment, and I cannot win if Prospector dies. So I matron for the singleton gempalm that I thankfully had put back in the deck, and kill the giant, which (because I gotta be lucky sometimes) draws me into Prospector! Score! I do the math, and I still don't have enough to attack profitably. I pass. He fetches, and then StP my Krenko! Noooo! Impending doom encroaches on my mind at this point.

I have about 14 goblin tokens, a warchief, a matron, and a prospector and cabal therapy in hand. I play prospector (probably incorrect) and pass to port. Curiously, after he resolves the Guile trigger, he simply draws and passes. I think "what could he possibly have that he wouldn't or couldn't cast?" After evaluating his mana, I come the conclusion that it has to be either Sigil, Emrakul, or another Doomwake. I draw a tuktuk, and cast therapy. A leyline of the void is in play, so I don't get a second chance. I take a guess of Sigil of the Empty Throne...and my opponent looks at me in disbelief as he reveals the sigil. We and the group around us cannot help but laugh with the ridiculousness of it. There are a few more turns of little happening, but at last I find my second krenko. I do some math, and with him at 6, I find I have lethal. I sac 28 of my 36 goblin tokens to pay for an attack of warchief, tuktuk, matron, and a token. My opponent scoops his cards and shakes the hand, and I put my hands in my face in disbelief. I've never seen a skirk prospector do more work in my life!

The Goblins tribe is victorious! It was a small event, but beating enchantress felt like no easy feat. I dodged BR reanimator like a champ too

Some analysis & oddities about the decklist: I know I'm killing some sacred cows by playing only 3 ringleaders, but I believe it's okay for a couple reasons. My main goal in building the deck this way was reducing the curve and overall clunkiness of the deck, and that meant cutting a 4 drop. Somewhat inspired by suicidesteve on the Legacy Goblins FB page saying on someone else's post about Smuggler's Copter that cutting a Ringleader could be correct, and I went looking for ways to compensate. Grenzo has been described as kind of "5th ringleader" before, and I took that somewhat literally. Between the 2 Copters and the Grenzo, I think that my list's grinding capabilities are not too adversely affected by shaving the ringleader (Which still has exactly 30 hits). It's just much easier to cast grenzo in a game without vial than ringleader, and I was sick of having hands that did nothing until turn 3. More two drops is a necessity for the deck. I also liked that I can reset my grenzo with my own karakas, so casting it early as a 2/2 is just fine. A niche synergy, but a synergy nonetheless. Cabal therapy was a last minute addition in the sideboard, but I liked the interaction with Copter, and wanted some additional game against some of the combo decks around, as well as stoneforge decks.

A change I want to make for the future: Earwig Squad. I'm definitely gonna try to find a place for it in the maindeck, I'm just not sure what to take out. Advice?
    As far as my sideboard goes, I'm pretty happy with it. I'd love to play a second cage over the extraction but I don't have one and no one around me has one for trade. Same deal with mindbreak. Not sure what to replace for mindbreak x2 though.

On manabases: I had the option of playing the 4th port over the karakas or the 4th mountain. I decided against it because 1. I like being able to cast my spells, and 2. The wear side of wear//tear is very relevant in my meta so having extra white mana is quite handy. Also a lot of people dumping griselbrands into play, so that seems invaluable. Perhaps the 4th mountain is unnecessary; I'll defer to more experienced players in this matter. Also, there's the eyesore of only 3 Cavern of Souls, but I'm waiting for MM 2017 to reprint them.

That's just about all I have to say about my event! I had a fantastic first time here in legacy land, and was really happy to put a notch of Goblins' belt for once. Opened some decent prize packs (ballista, aethersworn harvester, and a fatal push all deece), and the deck felt more functional than all of my previous builds. Hope this was an enjoyable read!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Post DRS Goblins MTGO Leagues Only Data

Good work on your first legacy tournament! I think you wil learn to love ringleader. To be fair goblins stopped being my main legacy deck in 2012, but I still believe ringleader is the the best card in the deck. He is wonderful in all of the long grindy matchups. I also agree with your earwig squad addition proposal. A copter, a war marshal, scrapper, prospector are cut/board options to make room. With so many x/1's around I would run 2 sharpshooter or sgc before prospector.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Good job both of you!

@Oleg:

Quote Originally Posted by OlegtheSuper View Post
    The Matches: I didn't take notes so I'm doing this write-up from memory. For the future, I'd be interested in advice on how you guys keep match notes for large events like GPs. Do you jot them down between games? Between rounds?
    Here is a couple of pictures of my notes from one of the Louisville Side Events. The front side is detailed notes mentioning life loss and how life was lost, non mentioned items are combat damage. F is fetch, DR+ or DR- is Deathrite Shaman, Bob is bob, etc. On the bottom of the page when I'm boarding, if I have time, I flip the bottom of the page up and write what I'm boarding down. For the picture I just flipped the paper over, but usually it's just the bottom 1.5 inches dog eared over while I board. This way I can hide my notes from my opponent while boarding. Just out of view is my life total on the left. Camera cut out, sorry. Additionally next to the player who goes first on their Life Total I write P if they are the play. An M for each mulligan, and T or B if they topped or bottomed their scry. If memory serves he was actually on Storm and I simply forgot to write it down after game 1.

Also, you have a lot of high CMC cards, is your meta super fair right now? It seems to be the common trend out and about. I'm thinking of running another finisher goblin again because of so.

@1GoblinLackey
    So there are two common builds of enchantress and they overlap quite a bit. The easiest way to think of it is how controlling a build is. We are much better against the Helm as fast as possible builds and much worse against the Elephant Grass is the best builds. In both cases I've found Rishadan Port and Thalia to be my most powerful cards in the match with, as you saw, Prospector pulling a lot of weight. In all cases feels good winning a poor match. Also, playing well with Cabal Therapy actually makes you feel like the Wizard WoTC wants you to pretend to be.

Earwig Squad is great, but the only reasonable cuts I'm seeing is a Krenko, or a Grenzo.

You are on a multicolored build that actually intends to use it's side colors often, you simply can't afford the 4th basic. Make it a fetch or a dual. Plus your curve ends at 4. In games where you can afford to play around Wasteland are the games where you cast Ring on turn 4. At that point who cares if they waste your 4th land.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    Good job both of you!

@1GoblinLackey
    So there are two common builds of enchantress and they overlap quite a bit. The easiest way to think of it is how controlling a build is. We are much better against the Helm as fast as possible builds and much worse against the Elephant Grass is the best builds. In both cases I've found Rishadan Port and Thalia to be my most powerful cards in the match with, as you saw, Prospector pulling a lot of weight. In all cases feels good winning a poor match. Also, playing well with Cabal Therapy actually makes you feel like the Wizard WoTC wants you to pretend to be.

Earwig Squad is great, but the only reasonable cuts I'm seeing is a Krenko, or a Grenzo.

You are on a multicolored build that actually intends to use it's side colors often, you simply can't afford the 4th basic. Make it a fetch or a dual. Plus your curve ends at 4. In games where you can afford to play around Wasteland are the games where you cast Ring on turn 4. At that point who cares if they waste your 4th land.
    Thank Olaf!

Unfortunately, the guy playing enchantress is on the latter version of the deck that you mentioned. Multiple elephant grass, sphere of safety, and worst of all, solitary confinement. His win conditions are the Helm + RIP combo, Doomwake Giant, and Sigil of the Empty Throne. I'm not sure how many of each he's playing though.
    I definitely agree with you on Cabal Therapy! It makes me wish Gitaxian Probe didn't exist, just because it takes all the elegance out of the design of Therapy.

I think that if I do end up making that cut, I'd cut the Grenzo. I wasn't super impressed by him for his ability other than for being able to be a big dude that is somewhat demanding of attention. That being said, he's a hard card to evaluate with a small sample size of use, as he is fairly variance heavy.

Playing a 7th fetch seems smart. I'm guessing leaving in the 4th mountain over the 4th port is still correct at the moment just because red mana is hard to come by sometimes, but that's more of an intuition than any sort of hard knowledge about manabase math. I'll have to consult my local Frank Karsten-ite.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Hello fellow Warchiefs,

quick tournament report.

The list:

LANDS (23)
    4 Caverns of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    1 Karakas
    2 Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    2 Taiga
    5 R-Fetches

CORE (16)
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader

Rest of the bunch (21)
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Krenko, Mob Boss
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Sylvan Library

SIDEBOARD (15)
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Karakas

Round 1: [play] Miracles (2-0)
    -2 Pyrokinesis, -1 Gempalm Incinerator, -1 Skirk Prospector , -1 Stingscourger,-1 Krenko
    +3 Pithing Needle, +2 SGC, +1 TSH

Round 2: [draw] Bomberman (2-1)
    -1 Skirk Prospector, -2 Krenko, -1 MWM
    +3 Needle, +1 SGC

Round 3: [play] Reanimator (2-0)
    -3 Gempalm, - 2 Kinesis, - 1 MWM , -1 Tin-Street Hooligan
    +3 Blood Moon , +2 SGC, + 1 Stingscourger, + 1 Karakas

Round 4: [play] OmniSneakShow (1-2)
    -3 Gempalm, -2 Kinesis, -1 MWM, -1 TSH
    +3 Pithing Needle, +1 Siege-Gang Commander, +1 Stingscourger, + 1 Karakas

Round 5: [play] Wr Death & Taxes (2-1)
    -4 Goblin Lackey, -1 Stingscourger, -1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    +3 Pithing Needle, +1 Pyrokinesis, +1 TSH, +1 Siege-Gang Commander

Top 4: [draw] OmniSneakShow (1-1)
    same as above (Round 4)

THOUGHTS:
    * the light changes on the list since my last event were a nod in the direction of SneakShow, Reanimator and Lands.
    MD: -1 Pendelhaven, +1 Karakas
    SB: -2 Tuktuk the Explorer, -1 Dismember, +1 Stingscourger, + 1 Karakas, +1 Tin Street Hooligan

* the dual nature of Sneak- and Omni- Show decks is really annoying and makes it somewhere between hard and impossible for me to prepare the SB correctly. This is one of the MU where the lack Piledrivers carries weight.

* Sylvan Library keeps being awsome. I changed my SB plans since my last event in a way that Library stays in the deck after G1 in almost every MU (i.e. I used to board it out a lot more often ) and this turns out to be the correct thing to do. As a rule of thumb I board out Library whenever my own life total are actually in danger through spells or lots of easive attackers (Burn, Grixis, Storm). By default I want to spend 12 life to library over the course of the game.

Questions are - as always - welcome.

Cheers!

- GL
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Can you go into more detail on the 2-0 vs reanimator?
    -rob

It was me on reanimator and I got tyrannosaurus wrecked.

G1 I got a Inkwell out of Study and Reanimate. I think I got you to 3 and then you overran me.

G2 I had Entomb Reanimate ready but the Sire and gravetitan on hand. I took Iona on red and it saw the karakas. Then the game was over when matron got the bounce boy. Sadly I did not see any sb pieces. I got in Decay, S&t, Echoing

Verry fun games! the speed and versability took me by suprise. Other gobo lists are usualy an auto win for me.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Nice run, Gobolord! Questions:

- How were the three Krenko's?
    - Carpet of Flowers? You didn't board them in, do you consider them your flexspot?
    - Will you try to find a spot for Piledriver (or two? Three?)
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Damaku View Post
    It was me on reanimator and I got tyrannosaurus wrecked.

G1 I got a Inkwell out of Study and Reanimate. I think I got you to 3 and then you overran me.

G2 I had Entomb Reanimate ready but the Sire and gravetitan on hand. I took Iona on red and it saw the karakas. Then the game was over when matron got the bounce boy. Sadly I did not see any sb pieces. I got in Decay, S&t, Echoing

Verry fun games! the speed and versability took me by suprise. Other gobo lists are usualy an auto win for me.
    Some more details from my memory:

G1:
    I go first with Mountain and no T1 play. He goes Fetchland, Go.
    On my turn 2 I play Mogg War Marshal and pass. He double-fetch, Study for Inkwell Leviathan + X, then Reanimate for Inkwell dropping to 9 life.
    On my turn 3 I draw and cast Lackey and pass. He attacks me for 7 and I drop to 13.
    On my turn 4 I attack with 2 tokens + Lackey, connect into Matron finding Warchief (had Krenko in my hand at that point). He attacks me for 7 and I drop to 6 life.
    On my turn 5 I cast Warchief, attack with Lackey + Warchief, drop Krenko off the Lackey trigger and pass. He gets Blazing Archon into his graveyard somehow, casts exhume, I get my MWM back. He attacks with Inkwell, I tap Krenko for 7 token and block. Repeat next turn, bounce Archin with Stingscourger and attack.

G2:
    Can't add much to what happened in G2. Iona vs. karakas and Stingscourger + Vial @ 2 vs. Sire of Insanity (if it entered the battlefield, which it didn't). That's pretty much it.

Although this game went extremely well for me, I think you just drew the wrong half of your deck while I drew the right half of mine. I don't think that my deck can repeat this kind of performance on a regular basis. Quoting myself two weeks ago here:

Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    I think the Reanimator MU is too bad to fix. That was the case with UB Reanimator and RB Reanimator looks even worse for us.
    Recently , I included 2 Karakas in my RG list (one Main and one SB) as well as a 2nd Stingscourger in my SB. This has to do with the Rising popularity of SneakShow, but will also work against Lands and Reanimator. Any other hate that works against Reanimator seems to be too narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Nice run, Gobolord! Questions:

- How were the three Krenko's?
    - Carpet of Flowers? You didn't board them in, do you consider them your flexspot?
    - Will you try to find a spot for Piledriver (or two? Three?)
    - 3 Krenkos are awsome
    - Carpets come in vs. Tempo/Delver MUs (and maybe some other random ones I forgot). Every SB is flexible to some degree, but I find that Delver decks have a big-enough meta-share for me to dedicate 3 slots to them permanently.
    - I think the MD is perfect the way it is considering the current metagame and how I would like to approach it. Adding Piledrivers is just a different approach and - some rare cornercases aside - I think it has to be 4 or 0 Piledrivers in the maindeck. So, no, I'm not looking to make room for Piledriver.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

I wanted to wait to post this until I had the videos, so we're finally here!

Last week I took 2nd at a local 34 player event Legacy event. They recorded a match a round everyone event and I ended up on camera the Semifinal and Finals matches. Ignore my stupid plays, I literally had not slept the night before D:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3lyO-0O5Yust6o

Here was my quick tournament report from the Facebook page:

Lands (24)
    4 Mountain
    4 Wasteland
    3 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Taiga
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Pendelhaven

Artifacts (4)
    4 Aether Vial

Instants (3)
    2 Tarfire
    1 Pyrokinesis

Creatures (29)
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 Goblin Warchief
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (!)
    1 Lightning Crafter (!)
    1 Skirk Prospector (!)

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Stingscouger
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Pyrokinesis

Okay so it looks like a gigantic pile and I eschewed the white splash I initially had after scoping the room at the outset of the event - tons of quick reanimator, at least 2 Oops decks, lands, and some Dredge. I panic swapped to Leylines and it did pay off.

Round 1: BUG Delver (2-0)
    Game 1: Krenko
    Game 2: Blood Moon

Round 2: Lands (2-0)
    Game 1: Opponent dumps hand onto board by turn 2 with 2x Exploration, however has no P Fire, Loam, or Glacial Chasm to stop Lackey connect into Krenko.
    Game 2: I draw my sideboard cards mostly on time (Blood Moon, Needles, Relic)

Round 3: Lands (2-1)
    Game 1: I get Marit Lage'd easy peasy.
    Game 2: Sideboard cards
    Game 3: Lucky Tin Street Hooligan blaps his Mox Diamond and his only green source to cut him off Loaming.

Round 4: Sneak and Show (0-2)
    Game 1 and 2: My opponent knows me well enough to not attempt Show and Tell (I always have the Scourger/Matron) and opts to Sneak around me. I don't find enough pressure before then to matter. Mulligan aggressively!

Round 5: Splinter Twin (2-1)
    Game 1: I beat a Batterskull and Jitte equipped to a Deceiver Exarch by managing to land Krenko + Goblin Sharpshooter for the blocks into kill my blocker route to prevent counters and lifegain. Krenko races for the win.
    Game 2: I drop my opponent to 3 with double Tin Streets but then the Batterskull comes down. I draw lands as if my life depended on it.
    Game 3: My opponent draws hot garbage while I unlock Kiki + Ringleader. Literally 1 Goblin in the top 16. I would have lost this game if not for Keeks. Eventually we get there.

Round 6: Death and Taxes (2-1)
    Game 1: Equipment dumpstered.
    Game 2: Sharpshooter unlocked with Gempalm on Revoker (I believe) and wipe his board)
    Game 3: Staring down Mom, Thalia, Flickerwisp and Revoker with Sharpshooter on board (Revoker'd). Cast Lightning Crafter champion a Matron. Dodge STP, wipe his board.

Quarterfinals: Dredge (2-1)
    Game 1: lol
    Game 2: Leyline of the Void + Relic
    Game 3: Leyline of the Void + 2 Relics

Semifinals: Shardless BUG (video for this one) (2-1)
    Game 1: Keep super greedy 1 land Lackey with Krenko, Warchief, Keeks and Ringleader in hand. Gets Forced.
    Game 2: I play super loose as I'm losing my focus but am able to grind to 2 life and unlock Lightning Crafter combo staring down 2 huge Goyfs.
    Game 3: Mid game Keeks turns Matrons into tutor factories. My opponent can't find an answer.

Finals: Elves (video for this too) (1-2)
    Game 1: Nut draw featuring Krenko and Pyrokinesis and Skirk Prospector doing dumb shit.
    Game 2: Keep a bad hand and get combo'd
    Game 3: Keep a good hand and get NO'd when I play Lightning Crafter instead of cycling Gempalm.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Against Shardless

It would be against Shardless wouldn't it. You had plenty of opportunities for EOT tricks with Kiki in G2 and 3. I think the comb itself is a bit greedy, but it worked on camera, so who cares. It mostly would have translated to extra blockers. I really like Crafter in that match-up though, just as is.

Against Elves
    The camera works, we can totally hear you.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

@Olaf
    Looking your "Goblins Data" please teache me how to beat Eldrazi like 16-0

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by OlegtheSuper View Post
    @Olaf
    Looking your "Goblins Data" please teache me how to beat Eldrazi like 16-0
    Whoever wins is going to win by a lopsided margin. Either they didn't get to be their deck at all, or they really got to be their deck. The most important cards in the match-up, in order, from your end, are: Wasteland, Rishadan Port, Aether Vial, and Pyrokinesis. Their most important cards are Thoughtknot Seer, Umezawa's Jitte, Reality Smasher, and Endbringer. Just make their mana go away and peck at them. If you are slightly ahead on board, port and waste aggressively. AEther Vial helps in this regard. Past that the critical thing to do in the match is to deal with Thoughtknot Seer. That's where Pyrokinesis comes in. It doesn't matter what's in your hand so long as they don't have a 4/4. Everything below it on the curve you can handle with creatures. The things above that on the curve shouldn't be resolving OR should take so long to resolve you can handle it with Gempalm. If you can handle the first Thoughtknot Seer then you have probably bought enough tempo to win the match. Our end game is better overall, but their midgame is super strong. Just get'em or leave them stranded earlier in the game.

I shouldn't have won this often. Even in Indy and Louisville I was still running into opponents who were boarding improperly, leaving in their Chalice's because they have no idea how our deck works. Another man told me he had practice in the match-up and that he always dies to Sharpshooter, a card I board out. I would imagine the Match is closer to 60-70%. It's pretty positive, but those numbers I have pulled do feel pretty good.

Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Hey everyone,

I just have some niche card questions for the squad here:

What are people's feeling about Kolaghan's Command in the side? It would take the spot of a shatter effect like ancient grudge or wear//tear. Obviously, you have to be black to cast it, but the value it could create seems too much to ignore. I imagine it improving the matchups of Shardless, D&T (albeit a bit hard to resolve perhaps), some delver variants (though probably only when you're on the play so Daze isn't really an issue), Infect (given the same conditions; shattering an inkmoth while shocking something else seems strong. Perhaps too expensive though?), and the stoneblade variants. Now, obviously it's a fair-matchup-only type card, which we can only run so many of in the sideboard. But blowing up a jitte while getting back a ringleader seems utterly backbreaking against a lot of decks. It's very possible that it's just not efficient enough for legacy, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried it.

Meekstone: Am I crazy, or does this seem great against a lot of creature decks? Obviously it has a big abrupt decay target painted on its head, but it does give us the ability to answer a true name, which we basically can't do otherwise. Also keeps delvers, anglers, and goyfs from untapping, which can be quite strong. It is a non-bo with Krenko of course, but maybe that isn't too big a deal? It also seems like a straight up win against Eldrazi; I dunno how they can possibly win with a meekstone in play. I also am amused by the prospect of bringing it in against BR reanimator and getting them stuck with a permanently tapped Sire of Insanity. Probably not good enough, but if I had it in the matchup I'd bring it in nonetheless.
    This idea only came to me after playing against it in Limited when someone got it as a masterpiece. I'd never seen the card before and my mind immediately wanted to try it out. It's quite an old card though, so I imagine it's been tried before.

Also, I was wondering if there is any other source (pun unintended) of matchup breakdowns? While the primer here is pretty extensive as far as covering the Tier 1/1.5 decks (thanks again to Olaf), I'd like to see if there's similar data or evaluation for more uncommon decks like Alluren (which I tested against with a friend and can't seem to beat without lucking out with a pyro), Deathblade decks, Canadian Threshold, Nic Fit, BG Depths, Maverick, you get the idea. Legacy is such a wide-open format I often wonder what to do against a lot of the decks you can run into.

Thanks!

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just have some niche card questions for the squad here:

What are people's feeling about Kolaghan's Command in the side? It would take the spot of a shatter effect like ancient grudge or wear//tear. Obviously, you have to be black to cast it, but the value it could create seems too much to ignore. I imagine it improving the matchups of Shardless, D&T (albeit a bit hard to resolve perhaps), some delver variants (though probably only when you're on the play so Daze isn't really an issue), Infect (given the same conditions; shattering an inkmoth while shocking something else seems strong. Perhaps too expensive though?), and the stoneblade variants. Now, obviously it's a fair-matchup-only type card, which we can only run so many of in the sideboard. But blowing up a jitte while getting back a ringleader seems utterly backbreaking against a lot of decks. It's very possible that it's just not efficient enough for legacy, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried it.

Meekstone: Am I crazy, or does this seem great against a lot of creature decks? Obviously it has a big abrupt decay target painted on its head, but it does give us the ability to answer a true name, which we basically can't do otherwise. Also keeps delvers, anglers, and goyfs from untapping, which can be quite strong. It is a non-bo with Krenko of course, but maybe that isn't too big a deal? It also seems like a straight up win against Eldrazi; I dunno how they can possibly win with a meekstone in play. I also am amused by the prospect of bringing it in against BR reanimator and getting them stuck with a permanently tapped Sire of Insanity. Probably not good enough, but if I had it in the matchup I'd bring it in nonetheless.
    This idea only came to me after playing against it in Limited when someone got it as a masterpiece. I'd never seen the card before and my mind immediately wanted to try it out. It's quite an old card though, so I imagine it's been tried before.

Also, I was wondering if there is any other source (pun unintended) of matchup breakdowns? While the primer here is pretty extensive as far as covering the Tier 1/1.5 decks (thanks again to Olaf), I'd like to see if there's similar data or evaluation for more uncommon decks like Alluren (which I tested against with a friend and can't seem to beat without lucking out with a pyro), Deathblade decks, Canadian Threshold, Nic Fit, BG Depths, Maverick, you get the idea. Legacy is such a wide-open format I often wonder what to do against a lot of the decks you can run into.

Thanks!
    Ironically the match-up where I'd want Kolaghan's Command the most is the match-up it'd be the hardest to cast: Death & Taxes. That's deterred me from running it personally. Equipment are rather time sensitive, or you are dead.

I actually was knocking around the idea of running 2 Meekstones in my board a few months back, I had simply forgotten about it and never did any testing. I'll hop on that and let you guys know.

As for match-up analysis I haven't found anything better than this primer, and that's because I Gobolord started it with his own Experience and I added onto it.

On the lists you mentioned:

Alluren - Unknown Difficulty - Not enough experience to confirm or deny information on the match. We get to do funny things with that card out, but you are right Pyrokinesis is really important here.

UW and Esper Deathblade - Even and Poor respectively - UW is basically dealing with 3 separate problems:

Canadian Threshold - Even - Pyrokinesis rocks this match-up. If you have surgical, surgical their Trop and they can't play green threats anymore. Good players will leave in stifle. Guard your mana and overwhelm them, as they don't have ANY card advantage. New builds with a couple of True-Name Nemesis will obviously be a bit harder near the end game, but there isn't much you can do other than be mentally prepared for it. If they are boarding them in, their deck is inherently slower and that has it's value in the early game.

Nic Fit - Poor, but a blast - The deck of 100 variants. Abzan is worse than Jund, is worse than Sultai, is worse than Golgari. Not to mention packages like Pod or GSZ choice. I have actual experience against GSZ Abzan and Sultai Pod, with minimal experience against Jund and Golgari. In all cases I tend to board out ALL of my 1 drops in favor of anything bigger.

BG Depths - Poor - This match is probably quite poor, but I wanted more testing before I determined why. So far I've only been wrecked by it, but then again I've only played against it a total of 4 or 5 times ever, in my entire career.

Maverick - Good - This match is about the mana dorks, equipment, and Knight of the Old Republ-err, Knight of the Reliquary. Getting rid of their dorks is pretty important as they want to leverage bigger spells on average, but you get to play that oh so fun game of save a kill spell for Stoneforge. I generally play against this deck like I do D&T but it's easier as I can wipe their less relevant dorks mid and late game with a couple of things, including combat. Eventually a Knight will land. At this point Stingscourger or a large enough board just get's 'em. Ringleader all the way.

Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Hey there Warchiefs,

I took down our weekly legacy event for the second time today, with significantly harder matchups this time. I'm definitely getting some benefits for being on an unknown deck, as at least one of my opponents had never played against Goblins before. I'm not gonna write out a long play by play like last time (unless people want me to, please let me know), so here's the basic rundown.

Round 1: 2-1 Storm (draw)
    Details: Game 1 I get cabal therapied on turn 1 after a probe, taking my 6 card hand of x3 matron, vial, cavern, and lackey to basically nothing. I wait to confirm that he's on storm, then concede. Game 2, a timely Thalia leaves my opponent just a mana short of tendrilsing me to death. Game 3, a Rest in Peace has a similar effect, and I have a very aggressive hand. He does tendrils me down to 1 and goes to 27, but a decently sized board including chieftain and warchief lets me matron for piledriver and swing for exactly 27. Whew!

Round 2: 2-0 Death and Taxes (play)
    Details: My opponent here had no idea what I was on, and was definitely scared by my turn 1 mountain, pass (expecting burn). I kept a fairly weak 7, 5 lands, a ringleader, and tuktuk. I knew that he was on D&T though, and assumed that mana heavy hands that have a shatter are strong. He has a slow start and turn 4 ringleader actually pulls it together. Pyrokinesis also makes an appearance, wiping the board. Game 2 I have a much stronger hand with multiple pyros. Gempalm mother of runes and pyroing in response to it saving something is completely backbreaking. Tutkuk cleans up the Sword of Fire and Ice, and I manage to keep the board clear for long enough to avoid a jitte from building up any more than 2 counters. I also hit an insane ringleader of double gempalm + matron, which basically spelled game over.

Round 3: 2-1 Burn (draw)
    Details: Not too much to say about the first 2 games; I die quickly game 1, and pull together a good win with a very aggressive draw in game 2 (vial, double lackey, tarfire, plus guys to put in, you get the picture). Game 3 was extremely close, and once again a timely Thalia saved me. Playing around price of progress is a difficult dance, but I managed to keep an untapped wasteland for my port on most turns. With both of us on 5 life and him on 3 lands, he untaps and flame rift's us both down to 1, and shows me a hand of 2 more 1 mana burn spells. Goblins triumph once again!

The List: I eschewed the black splash because Grenzo wasn't carrying his weight on his own, and I didn't want to damage my manabase just for Cabal Therapy. There's also a decent amount of Nic Fit around, and I liked having 4 basics to get out against them. It makes the matchup much easier when you get to use all the mana pulled up by veteran explorer. However, once I get earwig squads I might go back to the Black and White splash. I'm not entirely sure though, as I really like having all 4 ports.

Lootin Scootin Goblin Gang:
    4 Vial
    2 Copter
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    3 Goblin Warchief
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Piledriver
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

1 Tarfire
    1 Pyrokinesis

4 Wasteland
    4 Mountain
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Wooded Foothills

1 Plateau
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    3 Thalia
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Wear//Tear
    1 RIP
    1 Warping Wail
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Mindbreak Trap

I've also finally found someone who was willing to trade a Grafdigger's Cage, so I can add a second one of them (probably replacing RIP).

Any feedback is welcome!

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

@Olaf, thank you for all

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    Lootin Scootin Goblin Gang:
    4 Vial
    2 Copter
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    3 Goblin Warchief
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Piledriver
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

1 Tarfire
    1 Pyrokinesis

4 Wasteland
    4 Mountain
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Wooded Foothills

1 Plateau
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    3 Thalia
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Wear//Tear
    1 RIP
    1 Warping Wail
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Mindbreak Trap

Any feedback is welcome!
    First of all, congratulations!
    I like your maindeck, although I would like to see one or two more Tarfires in there.
    The sideboard I'm less keen on. There are so few matchups where I actively want four copies of Pyrokinesis that I don't think the fourth one is worth it. I also never found Warping Wail to be that impressive.
    The one Mindbreak Trap I think is fine if you expect a lot of Storm, as it can help you buy time on the draw, and they often won't play around it. It does seem to me however that your build is quite weak to Sneak and Show. My suggestion would be to add a Needle or two to the sideboard, as they are also excellent against Miracles and Lands.
    Regarding the graveyard hate I feel like Rest in Peace is too slow if you're looking to beat the Black Red Reanimator lists, especially since it requires white mana as early as turn two. Grafdigger's Cage as you mentioned is better here, but does nothing vs Lands or Tarmogoyf decks. Surgical Extraction is even faster than Cage, and has utility against Lands as well, although it is not as much of a win the game on the spot card as cage cam be against Reanimator. Relic is just solid all around, but a bit on the slow side. In my opinion it comes down to what metagame you're expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    First of all, congratulations!
    I like your maindeck, although I would like to see one or two more Tarfires in there.
    The sideboard I'm less keen on. There are so few matchups where I actively want four copies of Pyrokinesis that I don't think the fourth one is worth it. I also never found Warping Wail to be that impressive.
    The one Mindbreak Trap I think is fine if you expect a lot of Storm, as it can help you buy time on the draw, and they often won't play around it. It does seem to me however that your build is quite weak to Sneak and Show. My suggestion would be to add a Needle or two to the sideboard, as they are also excellent against Miracles and Lands.
    Regarding the graveyard hate I feel like Rest in Peace is too slow if you're looking to beat the Black Red Reanimator lists, especially since it requires white mana as early as turn two. Grafdigger's Cage as you mentioned is better here, but does nothing vs Lands or Tarmogoyf decks. Surgical Extraction is even faster than Cage, and has utility against Lands as well, although it is not as much of a win the game on the spot card as cage cam be against Reanimator. Relic is just solid all around, but a bit on the slow side. In my opinion it comes down to what metagame you're expecting.
    A second tarfire is definitely on the short list of cards I want to try to figure out how to squeeze in.

As for the side: Adding the forth Pyro was definitely a last minute choice. Looking around the room (I got there a bit early) I thought there was a significant amount of D&T and Elves, so I swapped out the pithing needle for it. Going forward, I'd probably go back to the needle, though I think I'm probably gonna get back on the black splash for earwig squad and cabal therapy. Warping Wail has impressed me in a couple of matches, and I like it for its versatility. Countering an ancestral vision or toxic deluge that a Shardless player was very sure of resolving is a fantastic, and it also does significant work in the combo matchups by hitting Show and Tell, Infernal Tutor, Reanimate, and Exhume. I also kinda like it against D&T because it exiles most creatures in their deck without Mother of Runes being able to protect it (though you usually just exile the Mom). That being said, it is probably worse than Cabal Therapy, which is also versatile (though I would definitely appreciate some advice on what fair matchups to bring it in against. I like the sound of it against D&T and other stoneforge decks because you can nap the equipment, but not sure what else it's good against, other than straight up combo decks)
    The Mindbreak is a hedge against Storm and Belcher, which I just really want to have some kind of out to.
    My leaning on Grafdigger's Cage for grave hate was definitely informed by the fact that there are 2 BR reanimator decks around, and very few to no Goyfs. I have a friend who is almost done with Lands, so I'll have to deal with that. Elves is also somewhat prevalent, and stopping NO and Green Sun Zenith is quite strong. If Goyf decks start showing up, I'll probably go a 2-1-1 split of Cage, Relic, and Extraction. What I'm currently trying to fit is 2 Cabal Therapies. The "finalized" board would probably look like this;

2 Pyro
    2 Blood Moon
    3 Thalia
    2 Wear//Tear
    2 Cage
    1 Surgical
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Cabal Therapy

Why do people run prospector? Outside of the extremely rare combo with sharpshooter it seems low value compared to other options like tarfire or another fatty goblin or something.

Thread Information