Thread: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Threaded View

Oct 2017
    Oita, Japan

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Alright guys, as promised here is a tournament report. This is my first time doing this so I apologize if I leave anything out or type way too much.
    This tourny had about 30 people and it was in Japan (where I live).

First of all my decklist. I should note that some of these choices are simply because I love toolbox decks. I have 3 warchief and 1 chieftain even though I know 4 chieftain might be better, but I like having the option to get the 3mana lord effect. I didn't get to try settler or mogg fanatic because I didn't get to cast any.

MAIN-

10 mountain
    4 cavern
    4 wasteland
    3 rishadan port
    1 karakas

4 vial

4 lackey
    4 matron
    4 ringleader
    3 warchief
    2 mogg war marshal
    2 piledriver
    2 gempalm
    2 cratermaker
    1 skirk prospector
    1 mogg fanatic
    1 stingscorger
    1 chieftain
    1 sharpshooter
    1 chainwhirler
    1 trashmaster
    1 goblin settler
    1 kiki jiki
    1 siege gang commander

1 tarfire

SIDE-

4 faerie macabre
    3 pyrokinesis
    2 blood moon
    1 tuktuk scrapper
    1 stingscorger
    1 sharpshooter
    1 relic of progenitus
    1 pithing needle
    1 midbreak trap

Alright so lets get into the 5 rounds.

Round 1-

(Moon stompy)

Game 1- I'm on the play with some good creatures and a vial, but only colorless lands. I don't know what he's on and I decide to keep and hope the vial sticks. It resolves, and he starts his turn with ancient tomb pitch simian spirit guide for a blood moon. Thanks! Now I have my mana fixed and a couple turns later I have a lackey that connects into ringleader which starts the snowball. Easy win.

Game 2- I only side out 1 stingscorger for 1 pyrokinesis and I get to pyro on his combat step to kill legion warboss and both tokens, completely clearing his board. The rest is pretty typical, I just jam a bunch of creatures and overwhelm him.

1-0

Round 2-

(grixis delver)

Game 1- After he bolts and forces my first 2 plays, with only 4 mana open I stupidly cast my last threat, which is a ringleader, into a daze and don't have much else to race his flipped delver and true name. Probably should have just waited 1 more turn to avoid daze, but also he was putting on some pressure--I had to do something. He casts an angler, which seals the deal and we go to game 2.

Game 2- I turn 1 vial which sticks. He turn 1 delvers and I topdeck my singleton tarfire like a pro and get rid of it. A couple turns later I vial in a matron and get a gempalm to kill his 2nd delver. I go off with ringleaders and he can't keep up.

Game 3- I'm still mad at myself for keeping this stupid hand, but I keep a 7 on the draw with 2 blood moon and 1 warchief (the rest lands). Tell me what you guys think, but I think I should have mulled for more action. He very easily keeps me off the moons with daze and then force and I die to a delver and a pyromancer. I do nothing the whole game like a loser and die like a loser.

1-1

Round 3-

(mono black reanimator)

Game 1- He wins the roll and is on the play. I keep a stellar 7 card hand that would beat the piss out of almost any deck. He mulls to 4 card and I'm leaning back in my seat ready for the easiest win of my life, beautiful women are fanning me off with a palm tree leaf while he looks for a playable hand. He goes swamp, dark ritual, entomb grave titan, animate dead, go. My tropical vacation on the beach ends before I could do anything.

Game 2- I side in 4 faerie macabre, 1 stingscorger, and 1 relic post board and am on the play. I have a fearie, lackey, and a siege gang in my opening hand and snap keep. I play lackey and he tries to reanimate a turn 1 Iona on red, but I discard faerie and he groans. I put in siege gang off lackey and waste his urborg. The rest of the lands he draws can't produce black and siege gang gets there.

Game 3- I keep a hand with a relic, 2 faerie, and lackey. I play lackey on my turn 1 and on his turn 2 he smallpoxes. I discard a card, sac my only land, and get rid of my only creature. Next turn I play a relic and pass. He dark rituals and plays a phyrexian obliterator. His obliterator hits me 3 times and with the 1 point from the smallpox I am at 4 life with things not looking good (I have just a warchief out at this point). I jokingly flip and slam my topdeck on the table and it's actually a stingscorger, which bounces his obliterator. Next turn I pay the echo and play a wasteland and get rid of his urborg. He is 1 mana short of recasting the obliterator the rest of the game and I hit him for 4 until he dies. I should also note he tried to reanimate a grave titan (because I popped relic earlier to draw an extra card) but my faerie bends it over.

(2-1)

Round 4-

(eldrazi aggro)

Game 1- Don't know what he's on (like every other freaking player here) and I keep a reasonable hand. We trade blows and creatures and reach a point where we each have nothing but lands in play and are looking for a threat. I am stuck on 3 lands which usually isn't a problem, but this time I have a settler in hand and his eye of ugin is almost online. I don't find a 4th land in time and he activates the eye for ulamog and gets me. Goblin settler why aren't you 3 mana.

Game 2- I don't have a lot of notes on this game but my turn 1 vial ends up wrecking him. I put into play mogg war mashal, matron (for cratermaker), ringleader, then kiki-jiki. He can't do anything of value the whole game.

Game 3- This game was grindy as all hell, and we go to turns. he has me to 6 life and has a tapped smasher and an untapped thoughtknot seer on board. I have a warchief on the field and a piledriver and some other stuff I don't remember. I matron for 2 mana into siege gang, which I vial in. Then I play mogg war marshal for 1 mana and basically just hit him for a million and get him on turn 3 of turns. I even had blockers left open for if he spacial contortions and untaps and swings. I had heard this matchup was easy, and it's true. Easy peasy.

(3-1)

Round 5-

(UR Omnishow)

My opponent wants to draw and everyone else around me is drawing for top 8 prizes. I think about this for a bit, but I think I saw his deck earlier and it looked like some kind of jeskai control or miracles, so I tell him I want to fight him because I'm a man's man. Also if I win this round I will get the 1st prize dual land. (this turns out to be all wrong)

Game 1- He plays island and ponders and passes the turn. I play vial and pass. Then he turn 2 show and tells. Oops.. I tell him I thought his deck was a control deck and that I should have absolutely drew, and he says "we can still draw if you want" and I tell him to shut up, I aint bitching out now. He shows me an omniscience and emrakul kills me.

Game 2- The exact same thing happens and I lose to a cast emrakul off omniscience. Welp...

(3-2)

It turns out that there is a top 8 single elimination now. If only my japanese was better I would have known that. Now it makes sense why they were looking at me so weird when I said I didn't want to draw. It was just for top 8. I still squeeze in at 6th place. However here is the kicker: because of my position I get paired with the mono black reanimator guy again. Out of the other 7 people 5 of them should be an easy win; could do it with my eyes closed. If I had drew I would have been paired with a different guy playing eldrazi.

Top 8 quarterfinals

(mono black reanimator)

Game 1- He is on the play because of his standings and I have an opening hand with karakas and stingscorger. This is the best possible hand I can have pre board. He gets a turn 2 grave titan and mops the floor with me.

Game 2- I stop his reanimation bull crap with a faerie and play a crater maker and a piledriver. He hymns me and I lose a cratermaker and trashmaster. He reanimates my trashmaster, which actually blocks my guys pretty damn well. Then he tries to reanimate my cratermaker, which would actually have been a 3/3 and could have killed my only creature. I had 1 freshly drawn faerie and actually decide I have to use it or I will probably lose. I'm still not sure if this is the right move or not, but he eventually gets to reanimate a grave titan and I die.

I win a masters 25 pack and my friend wins a rishadan port and gives it to me because I didn't have a 4th (nice guy).

My mainboard is more or less how I like it, and there are some changes I would like to make to my sideboard. I will probably cut the settler main actually for another mogg war marshal or piledriver, or maybe a gempalm.

I won't tell you guys too many changes I want to make to the deck because I wan't some advice first. Anyways all in all I think I could have (should have) beat the grixis delver guy and should also have been paired up against a better matchup in the top 8. The deck is strong.
    Thanks for listening to my ramblings, hope it was interesting.

Cheers!
    Last edited by joaquin; 02-19-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Thread Information