Page 90 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 1923

Thread: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    I wanna address a couple of comments just made regarding our combo matchups.

I've got 500 matches logged in MTGO leagues as of today (including a 5-0 today, woop woop). My datasheet's in my signature. MTGO is combo hell, and I think I've learned how to beat the combo decks more than anything else on MTGO. To be terribly honest, our combo matchups are legitimately better than we're willing to give ourselves credit for. Storm and Reanimator are the most popular decks on MTGO, and guess what? I'm just over 50% against Reanimator, and under 50% against Storm. The only combo matchup that I've been doing atrociously bad against is Sneak and Show (35%), but I've just had a lotta bad beats. I'm over 50% against Depths, solidly positive vs Dredge, etc. Being 40-55% against a wide range of combo is...really not bad. For the majority of my play, I've been playing RB builds with Cabal Therapies in the board, but sometimes I've gone without. I LOVE Therapy in the deck, and if you've got a lot of combo and control, it's strong, but maindeck therapies opens you up to a lot of problems. You get weaker against Miracles, and significantly worse against the Stompy decks. I'm got a 14 win record against mono red stompy, and 16-2 against Eldrazi. Without the strengths of the conventional builds, you're gonna lose some points in what should be our byes.

Also, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to DIVERSIFY YOUR HATE. Don't be 1-dimensional. Hit from every angle possible.
    I think you are underestimating the impact of variance in such relatively small sample size (love your datasheet btw). It shows you at lower rate vs Elves, which is indeed a MUCH MUCH better matchup for us than Storm or BR Reanimator.
    However, I completely agree on the BR build featuring Cabal Therapies (AMAZING card) & Squad dramatically improving our matchup vs Storm. I believe it actually turns it into a stone cold 50/50.

Any thoughts you can share about your Reanimator matchup experience and what do you usually bring from the board in order to deal with it and bang such solid results so far? How do you diversify your hate and what/if you use any on-the-board hate vs them?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    I think you are underestimating the impact of variance in such relatively small sample size (love your datasheet btw). It shows you at lower rate vs Elves, which is indeed a MUCH MUCH better matchup for us than Storm or BR Reanimator.
    However, I completely agree on the BR build featuring Cabal Therapies (AMAZING card) & Squad dramatically improving our matchup vs Storm. I believe it actually turns it into a stone cold 50/50.

Any thoughts you can share about your Reanimator matchup experience and what do you usually bring from the board in order to deal with it and bang such solid results so far? How do you diversify your hate and what/if you use any on-the-board hate vs them?
    You're totally right to mention sample size. I do think I've got a pretty good sense of the Storm and Reanimator matchups (they're my most common matchups), but the other stuff can be attributed to variance for sure. My Elves data is a little skewed by playing against Julian Knab a lot (arguably the best Elves player), so that's definitely a factor haha.

So with my most current build I bring in: 2 Surgical, 1 Tormod's Crypt, 1 Relic, 2 Thorn, 1 Stingscourger, 1 Earwig Squad. When I have discard spells, I obviously bring all of those in. I also usually play a 2nd Tormod's Crypt over Relic, which is a pretty massive difference against Reanimator. I cut 3 Ringleader, 2 Gempalm, 1 Sharpshooter, 1 Mogg Fanatic, 1 Chainwhirler. The reason to cut Whirler is that they frequently discard your Whirler, and then Reanimate it, which can cause some serious headaches. Leave Trashmaster as a quick clock that can potentially let you beat an Elesh Norn. In terms of playing the matchup, MULLIGAN TO HATE. If your hand doesn't stop them from making a turn 2 Griselbrand, mulligan. If they keep 7, I might just mulligan to Surgical or Crypt to be honest. Don't try to race them, it's not a real thing you can do without disrupting them once. Once you stop them from going off the first time, you do want to kill them relatively quickly (to shut off future reanimates/grisel activations), but getting to that step is secondary to "living past turn 2".
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Post DRS Goblins MTGO Leagues Only Data

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    You're totally right to mention sample size. I do think I've got a pretty good sense of the Storm and Reanimator matchups (they're my most common matchups), but the other stuff can be attributed to variance for sure. My Elves data is a little skewed by playing against Julian Knab a lot (arguably the best Elves player), so that's definitely a factor haha.

So with my most current build I bring in: 2 Surgical, 1 Tormod's Crypt, 1 Relic, 2 Thorn, 1 Stingscourger, 1 Earwig Squad. When I have discard spells, I obviously bring all of those in. I also usually play a 2nd Tormod's Crypt over Relic, which is a pretty massive difference against Reanimator. I cut 3 Ringleader, 2 Gempalm, 1 Sharpshooter, 1 Mogg Fanatic, 1 Chainwhirler. The reason to cut Whirler is that they frequently discard your Whirler, and then Reanimate it, which can cause some serious headaches. Leave Trashmaster as a quick clock that can potentially let you beat an Elesh Norn. In terms of playing the matchup, MULLIGAN TO HATE. If your hand doesn't stop them from making a turn 2 Griselbrand, mulligan. If they keep 7, I might just mulligan to Surgical or Crypt to be honest. Don't try to race them, it's not a real thing you can do without disrupting them once. Once you stop them from going off the first time, you do want to kill them relatively quickly (to shut off future reanimates/grisel activations), but getting to that step is secondary to "living past turn 2".
    Hey man! Your spreading sheet is crazy, I was just looking at it. Thats some commitment, congratulations on that!!!

I noticed on your last decklist only 3 ringleaders, and its the 5-0 list. Looks like it worked. Also, I noticed you dont use black leyline in any of the lists. Is that a particular reason for that?

Another note, now about the Reanimator Matchup, when I play with my Zombardment list, discard is usually boarded out... You bring in all the hate possible, play them and let them deal with it while you start your clock. You cant dilute your deck so much, sometimes you name entomb and they have looting, you name reanimate and they have exhume, anyway... mulligan to hate and let them deal with it.

Im sitting on a list that im bringing together on paper, missing only the stronghold, vials and lackeys now (will probably borrow to play with it today, I hope...). The list is based on the CA and lower curve list by jrw and tinkered to work on my current metagame, with some considerations I also found here.

BR Goblins

Main:
    4 Aether Vial
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Earwig Squad
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Chainwhirler
    3 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    1 Goblin Piledriver
    3 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    2 Grenzo, Havoc Raiser
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    3 Mogg Fanatic
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Mountain
    3 Rishadan Port
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Oath of Ghouls
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Karakas

Maybe piledriver can become a second stingscourger maindeck because of the heavy reanimator/depths/show and tell presence on my meta. Looks like parking a vial on 2 vs those decks is the best option. Warren Weirding was another option, but it is much weaker because its a sorcery and you cant vial it in. I have only goldfished with the deck and it looks pretty fun and strong!

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

[Deck] Vial Goblins

Has anyone done testing around Blood Sun? I was wrecked by it recently when it came down T1 and I had a hand full of fetches and I was really surprised at its power. It does a lot of the cool stuff that Moon also does and at the same price, but Sun also cantrips. The cantrip is what intrigues me because that effect makes the card much more maindeckable. It helps Goblin’s grindy games.

Now there are a few weakness to playing Sun. Most importantly you’ll have to build a mana base without Cavern or Fetches, but that should be fine. It’s weaker in some MUs than Moon but it’s pretty conditional. In Eldrazi for instance, Sun is worse against Cloudpost but better against Vesuva. It’s worse against City of Traitors but better against Eye of Ugin. Either way, you’re still drawing a card off of it which you would not with Moon.

Interested to hear thoughts and experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jrw1985; 05-09-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Has anyone done testing around Blood Sun? I was wrecked by it recently when it came down T1 and I had a hand full of fetches and I was really surprised at its power. It does a lot of the cool stuff that Moon also does and at the same price, but Sun also cantrips. The cantrip is what intrigues me because that effect makes the card much more maindeckable. It helps Goblin’s grindy games.

Now there are a few weakness to playing Sun. Most importantly you’ll have to build a mana base without Cavern or Fetches, but that should be fine. It’s weaker in some MUs than Moon but it’s pretty conditional. In Eldrazi for instance, Sun is worse against Cloudpost but better against Vesuva. It’s worse against City of Traitors but better against Eye of Ugin. Either way, you’re still drawing a card off of it which you would not with Moon.

Interested to hear thoughts and experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's an interesting suggestion.
    I think it's not compatible with goblin builds that play fetchlands.
    It's not too big of a nonbo with cavern: if you play Cavern before Blood Sun then your cavern is totally unaffected. If Blood Sun is already on the battlefield before Cavern then your Cavern just enters as Wastes (I'm assuming that interaction is the same as with Blood Moon)

One additional thing that Blood Sun does not stop is the lifegain ability of Grove.
    It's also less effective against multicolour fair decks like Grixis/RUG Delver, and Cloudpost, like you mentioned. (Or even the non-post versions of Eldrazi)

I think it's a possible consideration for the sideboard in the same vein as blood moon but I don't think it's ever maindeckable

Hi there,
    Goblin matron will be reprinted in modern horizon.
    Looks like we'll see a new era of goblin in modern format.
    Also other new or old goblin will come out in this set very likely

May 2019
    Goblinvillage, Vienna, Austria

Dear Goblin-Friends!
    I am going to play the following list at a local FNM. I would appreciate if an experienced player could tell me some of his thoughts on my deck:

Lands:
    4 x Wasteland
    4 x Rishadan Port
    4 x Cavern of Souls
    11 x Mountain

CMC 1:
    4 x Aether Vial
    4 x Goblin Lackey
    1 x Skirk Prospector

CMC 2:
    4 x Mogg War Marshal
    3 x Goblin Piledriver
    2 x Goblin Cratermaker
    4 x Gempalm Incinerator

CMC 3:
    4 x Goblin Matron
    4 x Goblin Warchief
    1 x Goblin Sharpshooter

CMC 4:
    4 x Goblin Ringleader
    1 x Goblin Trashmaster

CMC 5:
    1 x Siege-Gang Commander

SIDEBOARD:
    2 x Surgical Extraction
    2 x Relic of Progenitus
    3 x Thorn of Amethyst
    2 x Pyrokinesis
    1 x Goblin Chainwhirler
    2 x Stingscourger
    1 x Goblin Cratermaker
    1 x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 x Lightning Crafter

Info:
    Stingscourger: I expect some Decks with Griselbrand
    Goblin Cratermaker: I really hate Eldrazi
    Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: I want to have the option to deal infinite damage
    Lightning Crafter: Combo with Kiki-Jiki

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by DerLebkuchenmann; 05-20-2019 at 05:01 AM. Reason: tagging cards ; "some didnt work"

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Quote Originally Posted by DerLebkuchenmann View Post
    Dear Goblin-Friends!

Can someone please tell me how to "link in the cards" ?

Thanks a lot!
    Official link

To provide a card, or a list of cards (see below) with a tooltip/hyperlink, you need to put {CARDS} before its name and {/CARDS} after it, replacing the { } brackets with the [ ] that are used in this forum.

May 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    Official link

To provide a card, or a list of cards (see below) with a tooltip/hyperlink, you need to put {CARDS} before its name and {/CARDS} after it, replacing the { } brackets with the [ ] that are used in this forum.
    Thanks Morte! I fixed it.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Dear Goblin-Friends!
    I am going to play the following list at a local FNM. I would appreciate if an experienced player could tell me some of his thoughts on my deck:

Lands:
    4 x Wasteland
    4 x Rishadan Port
    4 x Cavern of Souls
    11 x Mountain

CMC 1:
    4 x Aether Vial
    4 x Goblin Lackey
    1 x Skirk Prospector

CMC 2:
    4 x Mogg War Marshal
    3 x Goblin Piledriver
    2 x Goblin Cratermaker
    4 x Gempalm Incinerator

CMC 3:
    4 x Goblin Matron
    4 x Goblin Warchief
    1 x Goblin Sharpshooter

CMC 4:
    4 x Goblin Ringleader
    1 x Goblin Trashmaster

CMC 5:
    1 x Siege-Gang Commander

SIDEBOARD:
    2 x Surgical Extraction
    2 x Relic of Progenitus
    3 x Thorn of Amethyst
    2 x Pyrokinesis
    1 x Goblin Chainwhirler
    2 x Stingscourger
    1 x Goblin Cratermaker
    1 x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 x Lightning Crafter

Info:
    Stingscourger: I expect some Decks with Griselbrand
    Goblin Cratermaker: I really hate Eldrazi
    Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: I want to have the option to deal infinite damage
    Lightning Crafter: Combo with Kiki-Jiki

Thanks a lot!
    You will be fine with the decklist you posted. It has all the core elements that the deck needs in order to work.
    If you know what decks you are likely to face, you could do some fine-tuning, depending on what decks you want to gain %s against.

Based on my personal preferences (which dont have to match yours and which aren't necessarily good for your local meta) I would consider the following changes:

* -1 Mogg War Marshal, +1 Cratermaker (because I think it's a better card by itself)
    * move Sharpshooter to the maindeck and Chainwhirler to the sideboard, because Chainwhirler requires little to no setup in order to work
    * OR move Shaprshooter to the sideboard and add 1 Sparksmith
    * if you want sideboard cards vs. Griselbrand, I think 1 Stingscourger is enough as a silver-bullet. I would cut the 2nd one for Karakas
    * I would cut the Kiki-Crafter combo entirely, because it doesn't really improve any MU. There are a lot of versatile SB cards that work in a variety of MU - I like to play 3-4 Chalice of the Void in unknown meta, for example.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I don't play Goblins so I have no idea if R/B Goblins wants a Gempalm Incinerator that doesn't cycle and can be countered, but gets on the battlefield and can hit planeswalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't play Goblins so I have no idea if R/B Goblins wants a Gempalm Incinerator that doesn't cycle and can be countered, but gets on the battlefield and can hit planeswalkers.

I did a thing.

Munitions Expert (RB)
    Creature-Goblin
    Flash
    When Munitions Expert enters the battlefield, you may have it deal damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of goblins you control.

Pros:
    • Extra Body Count
    o T1 Lackey T2 kill x/2s
    o Deals 1 damage on an empty board
    o More resilient to removal
    o Additional Blocker
    • Synergies
    o Repeatable with Kiki-Jiki
    o Stronger Piledrivers
    o Stronger Trashmaster
    o Stronger Gempalms
    o Stronger Skirk Prospector
    • Targets Planeswalkers
    o Better used to target creatures blocking for planeswalkers and attacking the planeswalker
    o Can lower a planeswalker enough to sneak in damage to finish them off
    o Most Legacy Planeswalkers start with low loyalty, therefore you do not need many goblins out to kill them outright.
    Cons:
    • Mana Restriction
    o ~10-15% of your games will not have BR by turn 2 if you mulligan to 5 (Not taking into account for Vial) 23 Land, 4 Waste, 4 Port, 4 Cavern, 6 Fetch, 3 Mountain, 2 Badlands
    Y 87
    0 58
    1 15
    2 14

N 13
    2 13

• Warchief Does not Lower the cost
    • Not as reliably uncounterable

May 2019

New Card:

Goblin Engineer 1R
    Creature - Goblin Artificer (rare)
    Power 1 ; Thoughness 2

When Goblin Engineer enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact Card, put it into your graveyard, then Shuffle your library.

R, tap, Sacrifice an artifact: Return target artifact Card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield

///
    Does it make sense to sac an Aether Vial or Chrome Mox to target an:
    Umezawa's Jitte, Bow of Nylea, Adaptive Automaton, Crucible of Worlds, Godsend, Phyrexian Soulgorger, or Goblin Lyre ?

May 2019

New Card:

Goblin Engineer 1R
    Creature - Goblin Artificer (rare)
    Power 1 ; Thoughness 2

When Goblin Engineer enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact Card, put it into your graveyard, then Shuffle your library.

R, tap, Sacrifice an artifact: Return target artifact Card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield

///
    Does it make sense to sac an Aether Vial or Chrome Mox to target an:
    Umezawa's Jitte, Bow of Nylea, Adaptive Automaton, Crucible of Worlds, Godsend, Phyrexian Soulgorger, or Goblin Lyre ?
    Sword of the Meek
    Last edited by DerLebkuchenmann; 05-23-2019 at 02:10 AM. Reason: chalice would enter for 0 sorry was a silly idea

It's kind of cool that you can dump e.g. Sword with 1 Engineer, then bring it back from the graveyard, then play a 2nd engineer to dump something useful, then sac the Sword to bring the other thing back, but it is slow and requires multiple engineers

There is also Scrapheap Scrounger if you want to do this line (and you have black mana) which is probably a better card in general for the deck than Sword of The Meek

May 2019

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    It's kind of cool that you can dump e.g. Sword with 1 Engineer, then bring it back from the graveyard, then play a 2nd engineer to dump something useful, then sac the Sword to bring the other thing back, but it is slow and requires multiple engineers

There is also Scrapheap Scrounger if you want to do this line (and you have black mana) which is probably a better card in general for the deck than Sword of The Meek
    @kombatkiwi:
    To be honest, I just thought that Sword of the Meekcould be usefull by itself to +/+ for example Goblin Lackey or Warren Instigator ... but meanwhile I think it is kind of weak/not good enough.

But Crucible of Worlds for a Wasteland Loop is funny! Especially against LANDS-Deck ! ! !
    Last edited by DerLebkuchenmann; 05-23-2019 at 06:47 AM. Reason: sideboard against Lands-Deck?

Really excited about the new black goblin! Any thoughts on him?

Sling-Gang Lieutenant
    3B
    Creature - Goblin
    When Sling-Gang Lieutenant enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.

Sacrifice a Goblin: Target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

May 2019

Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    Really excited about the new black goblin! Any thoughts on him?

Sling-Gang Lieutenant
    3B
    Creature - Goblin
    When Sling-Gang Lieutenant enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.

Sacrifice a Goblin: Target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    Same as with Munitions Expert could be really good in some situations, but i think most of the time it will not be worthy to play it.

May 2019

!!! NEW CARD !!!

Pashalik Mons 2R
    Legendary Creature - Goblin Warrior

Whenever Pashalik Mons or another Goblin you control dies, Pashalik Mons deals 1 damage to any target.
    3R, sacrifice a Goblin: Create two 1/1 red Goblin creature Tokens.

Power/Toughness: 2/2

I think Goblin Sharpshooter is still better because it triggers for each creature and Pashalik Mons only for Goblins you control ... of course the activated ability is a bit more grindy...

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by DerLebkuchenmann; 05-29-2019 at 05:10 AM. Reason: ...wording...

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

@Munitions Expert:
    I find myself losing to Jace TMS quite often. Having access to Munitions Expert increases the odds of immediately dealing with Jace before you get buried under card advtange. I think I will pick up RBg Goblins again with 4 copies of Munitions Expert in the maindeck and probably will remove 3 of the 4 copies of Gempalm Incinerator in order to do so.

@Sling-Gang Lieutenant:
    This seems to be a 1-of at most, but it looks promising. The only problems it solves are Ensnaring Bridge (we have access to several other methods of getting around Bridge already) and Burn. However, it also seems to be a card that you are not unhappy to see especially in lists that pack multiple copies of Chieftain/Thrashmaster. With a Chieftain alone, that's 12 damage already!

@Goblin Engineer:
    One of the struggles with Vial Goblins has been that you need a solid sideboard strategy against various combo decks in Legacy. Sideboard space is always an issue and concessions against certain decks have to be made. Could Goblin Engineer possibly be a viable sideboard strategy?

Something along the lines of:
    4 Goblin Engineer
    2 Goblin Welder
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ensnaring Bridge (for Sneak and Show)
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Expedition Map
    1 Thorn of Amethyst/Trinisphere
    1 Winter Orb
    1 Tangle Wire
    1 Grim Monolith
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass

Other potential targets include Ratchet Bomb, Torpor Orb, Spellskite and Phyrexian Revoker.

Upsides:
    - Versatile sideboard and you can be prepared for all matchups.
    - You can stay mono red and still be able to combat all decks.
    - This configuration seems really good against decks such as Pox and Lands.

Downsides:
    - Several decks in legacy are fast and having your hatecard on turn 3 may be too late, especially on the draw.
    - The mainboard needs to contain several artifacts: Great Furnace, Chrome Mox and Aether Vial come to mind.
    - In many of the post sideboard matchups you will want to sideboard out Aether Vial to retain a relatively high number of Goblins for Ringleader, but likely need to keep it in to have a sufficient number of artifacts.
    - In some matchups, you don't want to sideboard in your toolbox, so you are basically stuck with the 60 preboard cards.

Would this be a strategy to consider or is it garbage? At the moment, I feel that this is the only strategy where Goblin Engineer could be worthwhile in a traditional Goblins list.
    Team R&D

Thread Information