Page 29 of 97 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Somewhat random question for the Forum; is there a reason not to play Jitte in our sideboard? I don't see it done ever, but it seems really nice to stick on any of our infinite random creatures. I've seen other fair decks like Reid Duke's BUG list play 1-2 in the sideboard without ways to tutor, so it's not just for stoneforge decks, clearly.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Post DRS Goblins MTGO Leagues Only Data

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    Somewhat random question for the Forum; is there a reason not to play Jitte in our sideboard? I don't see it done ever, but it seems really nice to stick on any of our infinite random creatures. I've seen other fair decks like Reid Duke's BUG list play 1-2 in the sideboard without ways to tutor, so it's not just for stoneforge decks, clearly.
    I think our sideboard slots are better used to shore up our combo match-ups. I'm not saying it's a bad idea at all, i just think it's only worth trying in a more fair metagame. Also, i think goblin sharpshooter takes care of what jitte does for other decks.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

If you're on the instigator lists, then Jitte cam be quite powerful after sb.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    it's very strong, and as mistercakes suggest incredibly powerful on winstigator, but 1x could be hard to draw for us
    bug have no way to fetch it but they run 8 cantrips (+ jace) so it's way more easy to find it for them

I think our sideboard slots are better used to shore up our combo match-ups. I'm not saying it's a bad idea at all, i just think it's only worth trying in a more fair metagame. Also, i think goblin sharpshooter takes care of what jitte does for other decks.
    also this

hi there guys
    finally i have almost every card i need to play a nice deck in tournament, so i'm going to a local legacy event the next weekend. i think it's time to check my list and SB option and your opinions are as precious as always

first of all this was the metagame the last time (30th april, post ban)

there are a lot o 1x so could be difficult to set a proper sb plan for many different MU, anyway the good thing is that looks like there are not too many combo.

the list i think to play is

4 wasteland
    4 cavern of souls
    2 ancient tomb
    2 rishadan port
    8 mountain

3 chrome mox
    4 aether vial

4 lackey
    4 matron
    4 ringleader

3 magus of the moon
    2 warchief
    2 chieftain
    2 piledriver
    2 MWM

1 sharpshooter (used to play goblin king instead in the last weeks, not bad overall but i feel naked without the chance to fetch shooter when needed)
    1 tuktuk
    1 stingscourger
    2 siegegang

3 gempalm incinerator
    2 tarifre

the sideboard i'm playng now is

3 chalice
    2 blood moon

3 pyrokinesis
    1 sharpshooter
    1 stingscourger
    1 tuktuk scrapper
    1 sudden demise

1 relic of progenitus
    2 faerie macabre

given to the metagame i believe the disruption package would work, expecially fast mana + 5 moons could be very strong
    now my concerns are about the GY hate. i like fearie because she can work perfectly with a chalice in play (no matter if @0, 1 or 2), but if the metagame would be similar to the previous one i think she could be a bad choice (no rianimator at all). the only targets i see from the list are: life from the loam, infernal tutor flashback, punishing fire. not that much to play it i guess.
    considering i'm not going to splash white for rip, the options here are limited to relic, cage, crypt and leyline.
    suggestion here?

i'm also considering to add the 4th gempalm over sudden demise, mainly because in MU where i want more removals i bring in pyrokinesis and 3x pyro + 3x mox needs to cover the cards loss.
    another option could be 2x pyro, 1x demise, 1x gempalm

Quote Originally Posted by menph View Post
    hi there guys
    finally i have almost every card i need to play a nice deck in tournament, so i'm going to a local legacy event the next weekend. i think it's time to check my list and SB option and your opinions are as precious as always

first of all this was the metagame the last time (30th april, post ban)

there are a lot o 1x so could be difficult to set a proper sb plan for many different MU, anyway the good thing is that looks like there are not too many combo.

the list i think to play is

4 wasteland
    4 cavern of souls
    2 ancient tomb
    2 rishadan port
    8 mountain

3 chrome mox
    4 aether vial

4 lackey
    4 matron
    4 ringleader

3 magus of the moon
    2 warchief
    2 chieftain
    2 piledriver
    2 MWM

1 sharpshooter (used to play goblin king instead in the last weeks, not bad overall but i feel naked without the chance to fetch shooter when needed)
    1 tuktuk
    1 stingscourger
    2 siegegang

3 gempalm incinerator
    2 tarifre

the sideboard i'm playng now is

3 chalice
    2 blood moon

3 pyrokinesis
    1 sharpshooter
    1 stingscourger
    1 tuktuk scrapper
    1 sudden demise

1 relic of progenitus
    2 faerie macabre

given to the metagame i believe the disruption package would work, expecially fast mana + 5 moons could be very strong
    now my concerns are about the GY hate. i like fearie because she can work perfectly with a chalice in play (no matter if @0, 1 or 2), but if the metagame would be similar to the previous one i think she could be a bad choice (no rianimator at all). the only targets i see from the list are: life from the loam, infernal tutor flashback, punishing fire. not that much to play it i guess.
    considering i'm not going to splash white for rip, the options here are limited to relic, cage, crypt and leyline.
    suggestion here?

i'm also considering to add the 4th gempalm over sudden demise, mainly because in MU where i want more removals i bring in pyrokinesis and 3x pyro + 3x mox needs to cover the cards loss.
    another option could be 2x pyro, 1x demise, 1x gempalm
    This list seems like a mix of winstigator (without the actual instigators), stompy (because of magus of the moon), and classic goblins. I would highly recommend not doing this as it dilutes the deck and pulls it in to many directions. As for general sideboard advice i think you can cut the macabre for relics seeing as there are no reanimator lists in the metagame breakdown shown. The relics will help with dredge, loam, and goyfs a lot more than the macabre will. I don't think the sudden demise is worth having in the board since you have 3 pyrokinesis and the sharpshooters. Also, I think that Blood Moon is better than magus because, your opponents will bring in more creature hate which splashes onto the magus when it wouldn't splash onto blood moons(unless it's abrupt decay of course). I haven't played winstigator lists before but, from what i have heard they starve for red mana. That being the case i would recommend removing the wastelands/ports, if you wish to combat lands Goblin Settler in the 75 instead. I'm not sure that it's entirely necessary since you have blood moons.

i want more removals i bring in pyrokinesis and 3x pyro + 3x mox needs to cover the cards loss
    You shouldn't have to worry with card advantage as long as your deck has a high goblin count because, we have the matron/ringleader engine. Generally with matron you want to be grabbing a ringleader unless; you are staring something down that you need to shatter, bounce(should really only need to do this against reanimator/SnT type decks), sharp shoot x/1's, or burn down with gempalm(goyf/knight of the reliquary/tombstalker/gurmag/the occasional out of control flipped delver).

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceCortez View Post
    This list seems like a mix of winstigator (without the actual instigators), stompy (because of magus of the moon), and classic goblins. I would highly recommend not doing this as it dilutes the deck and pulls it in to many directions.
    basically it's just the classic list featuring fast mana, and heavy disruption.
    i played the classic list for more than a year now, and i believe that this version is probably the strongest i ever tried even if it may looks wierd.
    playing mono red in this particular moment leaves us without answers to fast TNN, with only the chance to race them. deathrite is a thing and fast starts are crucial (especially without vial on the board)

the goblin count MD is lowered to 30 and hitting magus with ringleader can hurt but i think it worth all the games magus can win by itself

You shouldn't have to worry with card advantage as long as your deck has a high goblin count because, we have the matron/ringleader engine. Generally with matron you want to be grabbing a ringleader
    the problem here is that the deck is more diluted post SB since we add non-goblin stuff, and ringleader may fail more times then usual. so it's harder to cover the card loss from pyro and moxen then in the MD configuration. this is why i'm thinking about one more gempalm in the SB since it works with chalice, is one more removal and help ringleader to hit something more.

As for general sideboard advice i think you can cut the macabre for relics seeing as there are no reanimator lists in the metagame breakdown shown. The relics will help with dredge, loam, and goyfs a lot more than the macabre will.
    relic is probably the way here even if it's not the best with chalice@1. i'm thinking especially to storm MU
    it could be a problem also against grixis, but i'm not sure i want to fight them on the GY field

edit:
    I haven't played winstigator lists before but, from what i have heard they starve for red mana. That being the case i would recommend removing the wastelands/ports, if you wish to combat lands Goblin Settler in the 75 instead. I'm not sure that it's entirely necessary since you have blood moons.
    this is due the high RR creatures in winstigator list.
    here the moon effect help to enable all the R we need. probably could be ok to cut one tomb in favor of one more mountain because drawing two of them without an active moon could be bad for life total and R mana requirements. for this reason i'm cutting one of them post SB in some MU when i board out all the moon effects

Also, I think that Blood Moon is better than magus because, your opponents will bring in more creature hate which splashes onto the magus when it wouldn't splash onto blood moons(unless it's abrupt decay of course).
    magus it's better in MD since we can vial him in and op can't respond to it, and we can also name human on cavern to be sure he resolve. and he attacks too.
    as you suggest, post side blood moon is stronger

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Is anyone else also having second thoughts about Cavern of Souls?

There seems to be a three way relationship going on between Cavern, Wasteland and Counterspells in the format. Cavern negates counterspells but opens us up to Wasteland. The more Wastes there are the worse Caverns become. With Top being banned Miracles just isn't a thing anymore. Miracles played 10+ Counterspells (between Force, Counterbalance and randoms) and 0 Wastelands, and being a huge percentage of the format it made Caverns a strong meta card. Now the de facto control decks are Grixis which play 8 COunterspells and 4 Wastelands. I think that means Cavern is less likely to have a positive impact and more likely to have a negative impact. A T1 lackey off Cavern will just eat removal anyway, and that opens us up to getting Wasted T2. If we can play around Daze and accept the CA we gain by playing into Force will we be better off than running Cavern?

I've been thinking that the wide-open combo free-for-all right now means we can never achieve positive percentages against combo in the current meta. So we might as well make our midrange game strong as hell, right? Would a monoR manabase rocking 4 Waste 4 Port, 0 Fetch, 14-15 Mountain/Chrome Mox make us more consistent than a similar base with Cavern? Are my arguments against Cavern negated by the fact that I'm running non-basics anyway? And isn't Cavern so ubiquitous in Goblins that opponents will side out their countermagic G2 regardless of whether or not they see Cavern G1?

The format is too wide open right now for us to attack it, so we just need to be as consistent as possible and win the grind, right?

leaves us without answers to fast TNN, with only the chance to race them. deathrite is a thing and fast starts are crucial (especially without vial on the board)
    If the main reason you're running this list is for a fast start then, why not play warren instigator and add more fast mana?

the problem here is that the deck is more diluted post SB since we add non-goblin stuff, and ringleader may fail more times then usual
    That's true for any goblin deck, i sideboard 3-5 cards against fair decks and 6-10 against combo. The increased chance to miss is kind of what you sign up for when trying to make space for your fast mana cards and magus of the moons. I'm not sure how you sideboard but, when i take a look at your board and think about how i would in the different matchups I see that our decks sideboard very similarly in terms of card count against the fair decks. The reason i'm only mentioning the fair decks is because, that's really the only time you should be concerned about your ringleaders hitting. Considering how you would sideboard and that your MD list has only 3 less goblin cards than mine, you shouldn't be hitting a significantly less amount of goblins off of ringleader. If you are over boarding then that's a different issue.

relic is probably the way here even if it's not the best with chalice@1. i'm thinking especially to storm MU
    it could be a problem also against grixis, but i'm not sure i want to fight them on the GY field
    I think the relic & chalice situation would only pop up against storm but, if you have a chalice play in you're already screwing them enough to the point relic doesn't matter. Also, you don't bring GY hate in against grixis because, they generally only run 2 big delve cards. They can also fill their GY really quickly with all of their cheap can-trips and removal, if you had RiPs then you might bring them in.

here the moon effect help to enable all the R we need. probably could be ok to cut one tomb in favor of one more mountain because drawing two of them without an active moon could be bad for life total and R mana requirements. for this reason i'm cutting one of them post SB in some MU when i board out all the moon effects
    magus it's better in MD since we can vial him in and op can't respond to it, and we can also name human on cavern to be sure he resolve. and he attacks too.
    as you suggest, post side blood moon is stronger
    I don't think you should make it so that your deck depends on having a blood moon. It seems like the chances of you getting a turn 1/2 blood moon are pretty low which would leave you as slow as classic goblins unless you have a chrome mox out. In that situation and with the xRR creatures there doesn't seem to be a point to running all of that extra stuff to make the deck inconsistent and occasionally faster. Also, what happens if your magus gets countered/killed? Seems like the decks mana base would kind of fall apart, keep in mind i understand that you can vial him in(earliest vial in being your 4th turn). Although you may cavern the magus in, if something happens to him you are pretty screwed being left with your suite of many colorless lands and a now useless cavern. All that being said I will test the deck out on Xmage and see how that goes.

tnx cortez, a lot of interesting considerations to think about

If the main reason you're running this list is for a fast start then, why not play warren instigator and add more fast mana?
    i tried and i wasn't thrilled by it
    wich kind of fast mana do you refer to? lotus petal? spirit monkeys? i actually prefer consistent and reusable mana sources since we need many mana in each turn

I'm not sure how you sideboard
    i have not a precise sb plan for every mu, i'll try to think about it next week in order to be someway prepared for next sunday event

I think the relic & chalice situation would only pop up against storm but, if you have a chalice play in you're already screwing them enough to the point relic doesn't matter. Also, you don't bring GY hate in against grixis because, they generally only run 2 big delve cards. They can also fill their GY really quickly with all of their cheap can-trips and removal, if you had RiPs then you might bring them in.
    do you think one chalice on th board would be enough to screw them? i'm not very experinced with the MU, but i'm not sure it would be enough. at what value of X do you suggest to play the 1st one? @0 or @1? zero can screw the mana rocks (8 targets), while allowing me to play relic, anyway they would be able to therapy me and cantrip a lot finding other mana sources. so maybe X@1 is the safer value (almost 20 target: duress, therapy, probe, cantrips, ritual)

agree on not fight grixis on GY hate

I don't think you should make it so that your deck depends on having a blood moon
    i didn't mean it.
    tomb into early magus enable a lot of red mana, but this not the strategy, is simply a thing. if opponent hasn't access to plow or red burn i can also risk to name humans out of the cavern since is hard that they can kill it. decay requires double coloured, and black mana from deathrite for fatal push isn't enough since they have no fetchlands to sac and enable revolt. in this cases i play around fatal push preparing a big board and going for alpha strike or forcing them to run out of land in GYs or to tap drs so i can kill it and they have nothing than red mana then

atm i tested against:
    BUG delver
    UWR delver
    dark bant-blade
    4c loam
    cephalid breakfast
    storm
    jund
    UR burn

i didn't keep records, anyway:
    -as the classic list, delver MUs feels good. the main problems are unchecked gurmag or TNN
    -the same for bant. equipped tnn is a thing, anyway moxen and tombs allow faster matron into tuktuk scrapper
    -loam is very weak to moons effect, if they cannot find decay or punishing fire in time we can race them easily
    -same for jund
    -ur burn is a bad one, especially with tomb. we have to pray to find enough removal for the prowers
    -cephalid is not a great mu i guess
    -storm bad as always, even if i ended winning 3-0 (piledrivers take care of him, anyway probably was a low skilled opp)

Aug 2012
    Japan

do you think one chalice on th board would be enough to screw them? i'm not very experinced with the MU, but i'm not sure it would be enough. at what value of X do you suggest to play the 1st one? @0 or @1? zero can screw the mana rocks (8 targets), while allowing me to play relic, anyway they would be able to therapy me and cantrip a lot finding other mana sources. so maybe X@1 is the safer value (almost 20 target: duress, therapy, probe, cantrips, ritual)
    Chalice has more value at 1 or 2, but it's most important just to get it on the board. @0 preventing LED means you're far more likely to live to see turns 2 and 3. The worst is if you wait a turn to play it and they Duress it out of your hand.
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Alright everyone, I went off the deep end a little bit after having some pretty bad results lately with both classic and instigator lists. Won't say I didn't get unlucky, but also haven't been playing the tightest. Anyway! I decided to do some proper testing of Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, a card basically all of us had written off at this point. However, after playing 10-12 games against Dark Bantblade with him, I can confidently say; this card is dope, and does dope shit. Way better than I thought it would be. I initially tried him in a Winstigator list, which worked fine, but I think it could be optimized for him more. I decided to build a low to the ground list that is quite aggressive, and works to ensure he gets a good number of hits in. Remember, he triggers if any creature hits an opponent, so going wide with tokens makes him more effective. His other ability is also relevant, as it can force creatures to be tapped (or just die by making bad attacks), leaving the board more clear of blockers.

Best hit in my opponent's deck so far was a Zealous Persecution, which killed a TNN and a noble hierarch.

Here's the list: Maindeck Pyro or Sparksmith could be good additions, as they help get damage in without spending mana in your turn, increasing the chance you'll get to cast something good out of your opponent's deck.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 4 Artifact
    4 Aether Vial

// 30 Creature
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    3 Goblin Piledriver
    2 Grenzo, Havoc Raiser
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    3 Goblin Warchief
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Earwig Squad
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

// 3 Instant
    3 Tarfire

// 22 Land
    4 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    1 Pendelhaven
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands

// 1 Sorcery
    1 Warren Weirding

// 15 Sideboard
    // 5 Artifact
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Chalice of the Void

// 2 Creature
    SB: 1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    SB: 1 Siege-Gang Commander

// 3 Enchantment
    SB: 3 Blood Moon

// 2 Instant
    SB: 2 Pyrokinesis

// 3 Sorcery
    SB: 3 Cabal Therapy

New grenzo looks interesting but i never tried him yet.
    His ability looks a bit random but can potentially give us every card in the meta and also screw blue player's cantripped top deck. I think i ll try it in the next weeks

Little ot about mox diamond: just seen this crazy mox-planeswalker control list playing only 18 lands to feed mox diamonds
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15504&d=294520&f=LE

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Played again to a decent result today.
    Tested Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, and quite liked him. Never really got to use his ability, but I can see why he's a scary card. It's quite a decent 2drop and I'll try him again next tournament as well. Eliminated md artifact hate (after agreeing with Sandro's Article) and my flex slot to run 2.

Winstigator:
    10 Mountains
    4 Caverns of Souls
    3 Wasteland, Chrome Mox
    1 Karakas, Pendelheaven

4 Vial, Lackey, Instigator, Chieftain, Matron, Ringleader, Tarfire
    2 Gempalm, Pyrokinesis, Grenzo, Siege-Gang
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Sparksmith

SB:
    4 Blood Moon, Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Cage, Surgical
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper, Shattering Spree, Pithing Needle

Round 1: Loam
    G1: He opens with Mox and CotV@1. I play Mountain for the first 4 turns, before casting a Ringleader. It gets me 4 dudes. I Pyrokinesis his board of Ooze and Bob, then play a Mox just not to discard. Next turn I play SGC, then Matron for Chieftain. It was enough. His Loams were pretty bad.
    G2: He mulls to 5, and I kept 2 Lands, Moon, Gator, Grenzo, and irrelevant stuff. He Loams T2. I play Gator, he decays it. I play Grenzo. He Decays it. Was actually very scared of him. He plays Library. I pass. He pays 8 life, then pay 4 more again next turn. I blank on land again, then draw another Instigator. He assembles Depths/Stage at 6 life. I attack with Gator. He chooses not to block to play around Karakas and Stingscourger. Gator drops 2 Matrons that search for 2 Tarfire and deliver lethal.
    SB: 4 Moon, 1 Needle, 1 Scrapper, -4 Vial, -Chief, -Spark
    1-0

Round 2: RB Reanimator
    G1: I'm on the play. He shows me Chancellor of the Annex. I play Cavern and Lackey. Life is good. He Thoughtseizes away Matron, and Unmask Ringleader, leaving me with Pyrokinesis. Lackey hits a few times dropping nothing. He reanimates a Tidespout Tyrant, going to 4. I draw Gator an attack with Lackey. Opponent: That is definitely a trap isn't it? He blocks, I kinesis it. Next turn Ringleader wins me the game.
    G2: I have a T1 Vial, T2 Thorn, T3 Grenzo and Waste. He gets a fattie in the bin, but cannot cast a reanimation spell. Gator comes from Vial and Grenzo triggers 3 times, but nothing juicy. So I just cast a 2nd thorn and seal the match.
    SB: 2 Cage, 2 Surgical, 1 Needle, 4 Thorn, -3 Ringleader, -3 Tarfire, -2 Gempalm, -1 Sparksmith. (Kinesis is good vs Sire of Insanity
    2-0

Round 3: Elves (I know it)
    Game 1: I'm on the play and keep a T1 Sparksmith
    Game 2: He GSZ. I Waste + Mox + Lackey. He plays 2 dudes. I connect into Ringleader and Gator. Nothing juicy. He NO for Progenitus. I cannot race.
    Game 3: T1 Lackey, he plays an elf, I play Pendelhaven. Lackey connects into Matron for SGC, and I play Sparksmith. Chieftain comes down next turn and that was pretty much it.
    SB: 1 Needle, 2 Cage, 2 Moon, -4 Vial, -1 Ringleader.
    3-0

Round 4: Bug Delver
    Game 1: He leads with Delver, I play T1 Instigator. Delver flips to a Decay, but he has to Ponder for mana. Fetch and Shaman. 17. I attack and Gempalm Shaman with 1st strike dmg. he decays Gator. 14. I play a 2nd Gator. He plays Goyf. 11. I pass. He swings. 4. I play Kiki Jiki and pass. No cards. He swings with both. I make a copy of Gator and block. 1 Life. He's at 18. I draw and at the end of my turn he scoops. Love my deck. Topdeck Ringleader, copy Gator, get 4 triggers, Ringleader gives me Matron and Gempalm. Matron for SGC and it comes down. Gempalm Goyf, SGC kills Delver.
    Game 2: He plays Underground and Delver. I Waste him, the play Mox and Tarfire. He draws and passes. Sweet. I play Grenzo. He plays Bayou and Deathtire. Grenzo hits a Fetch. I'm sad for a second, then remember he is mana screwed. I play Gator. He doesn't play a 2nd land and Pushes my dudes. I play Lackey. He passes. Gempalm + Lackey kill Deathrite. He destroys my Mox and Wastes me twice, but I have 3 basics out and keep Cavern ad Pendelheaven in hand for when I find a goblin. Find a Matron and go for Ringleader. He passes. Caverns into Ring into 4 lands. hit for 3. He plays Goyf. Topdeck Ringleader that gives me a 2nd and 3rd Tarfire and SGC. He wastes me, Hymns Tarfire and SGC, then hit for 6 with Goyf. 14. I hit for 5. He swings for 6. I go to 8. I swing for 5. He goes to 7. He swings for 6. I go to 2 Life. He plays Goyf. I Tarfire eot taking him to 5. Swing. He blocks one and takes 3. 2nd Tarfire kills him. Phew. Both games were really close.
    SB: 2 Moon, -1 Chief, -1 Kiki. On the play I'd bring all Moons for 1 more Chief and a Gator.
    4-0

Round 5: Big Red
    ID

Top 8: Food Chain (I know)
    Game 1: Mull into a lackey hand with Kiki, Tarfire and Gempalm. Kiki does comes down, but he kills lackey. Then I proceed to swing 3 times with Kiki drawing lands. Then I die.
    Game 2: Mull again to T1 Lackey. He plays Shaman, I play Land. He plays Engineered Plague (1of), having Island, Swamp, and no fetches in the graveyard. I play Blood Moon. He Ponders and plays a Forest (1of), then Decay moon 1 turn later. I get a Ringleader, Kinesis his board, Matron for Chief. Play him then a SGC, then he wipes my board with Golgari Charm. His dudes beat me down slowly and I cannot do anything.
    SB: 3 Blood Moon, 1 Needle, -4 Vial
    4-1

Updated record: 26-7-2
    All in all good result. Won against some bad MUs then lost to one. Please any comments are welcome.
    Wanna improve Food Chain / Aluren MUs, but don't know how to. Is there only discard against them?
    Is Grenzo really the real deal?
    Is 4 Blood Moon the way to go against all 3+ colour decks?
    Is not playing artifact hate MD the right choice?
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post

Updated record: 26-7-2
    All in all good result. Won against some bad MUs then lost to one. Please any comments are welcome.
    Wanna improve Food Chain / Aluren MUs, but don't know how to. Is there only discard against them?
    Is Grenzo really the real deal?
    Is 4 Blood Moon the way to go against all 3+ colour decks?
    Is not playing artifact hate MD the right choice?
    You continue to wreck with your list, I'm consistently impressed by your consistency.

Food Chain/Aluren: I think our best options against them are to aggro them out, and piledriver really shines in this matchup. Their best blocker is Baleful Strix, so pro blue is super relevant in the matchup. Discard + Surgical on the combo enchantments might be a solid plan as well.

You know my opinion on Grenzo. He's the man imo, had more great results with him tonight.

I think 4 Blood Moon is reasonable in the faster instigator shells, but less good in the classic build. Port and the extra wastelands makes messing with their mana a real plan, especially if you just kill every DRS on sight. In classic lists I think 2-3 blood moons is fine since we have other tools and can't t2 blood moon without a t1 prospector.

I really can't get behind 0 maindeck artifact destruction. Dark Bant is a rising deck in the format, and other stoneforge decks are popping up pretty quickly. Without a game 1 answer, you're almost just immediately scooping to TNN + Jitte, unless you have an exceptionally fast start that isn't disrupted. Also things like being able to answer stuff like maindeck pithing needle in turbo depths is pretty important. It's also worth noting that Baleful Strix is the 8th most played creature in the format, so it's quite rare that you'll run into a matchup where tuktuk/TSH is straight up dead card.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Interesting not to see the artifact removal or stingscourger maindeck.

Glad to see the deck doing so well. I might have to try the mono red version.

I do like 2 pendelhavens though. How I'm guessing karakas is mostly there to hedge games vs reanimator, but it does seem cool to save your guys now that you've upped the legendary count.

I like a combination of magus of the moon and blood moon. You can Vial in magus as well as slam down an uncounterable magus with cavern. It doesn't happen that much but it's pretty satisfying when it does.
    -rob

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

[Deck] Vial Goblins

Something occurred to me today which I'm honestly surprised hasn't crossed my minds me before. I always think of Vial and Lackey as great T1 plays, but they're much better on the play than on the draw. That made me wonder: What are our best T1 plays on the draw then? And should we play 8 of them like we play 8 Lackey/Vial? Scatman keeps having strong results with 3 Chrome Mox, and I'm realizing that part of that is in the strength of Mox on the draw. What else is an excellent T1 on the draw? Tarfire seems great just to kill DRS before it gets online, but I cannot think of another 1drop we'd want to play...

Who else thinks it would be good to jam the following, and in what iteration?

3 Chrome Mox
    2-4 Tarfire
    0-3 other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2010
    Germany

Re: "Other"
    Carpet of Flowers (if they played an Island T1
    Cabal Therapy (if you get a hint what to Name based on their T1 play)
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

@mistercakes: thanks
    Karakas completely meta dependent. But I don't like running 2 Pendelheaven with only 22 mana sources, specially 3 of them being Mox. I'm quite happy with the amount of R in the deck as well and don't want to trim it.
    And karakas is randomly good against Thalia and most notably Leovold as well.
    Regarding Moon, with Fatal Push and bolt running rampant, Blood Moon is much better for me. I like it t2 or 3, so vialing it in is not when I want to do it. And for counters, most people board a good amount out anyway. So I prefer it being harder to remove than more reliable to resolve. That's why I'm trying 4 as well.

@jrw: that is very true. Most of my games on the draw I win because of a quick tarfire or Mox start.
    If people don't want to run mox I'd suggest a gemstone caverns. It does the same thing on the draw, and counts as a colorless source any time you want.
    As for other cards, I cannot think of anything apart from removal. Kinesis is awesome because it lets you swing board states a few turns later. Discard can also be great as GobboLord mentioned.
    Would love to know another great 1cc card for us.

Sent from my SM-J500M using Tapatalk
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post

@jrw: that is very true. Most of my games on the draw I win because of a quick tarfire or Mox start.
    If people don't want to run mox I'd suggest a gemstone caverns. It does the same thing on the draw, and counts as a colorless source any time you want.
    As for other cards, I cannot think of anything apart from removal. Kinesis is awesome because it lets you swing board states a few turns later. Discard can also be great as GobboLord mentioned.
    Would love to know another great 1cc card for us.

Sent from my SM-J500M using Tapatalk
    I think the biggest problem from a design perspective is the lack of playable 1cmc cards with Goblin Keyword. The only card I thought of that could be good on the draw T1 is Mogg Fanatic, but that doesn't even answer DRS. Goblin Guide is just wrong. Spikeshot Elder would be good if only he wasn't complete shit. So, yeah, Tarfire is about all... well shit I guess I'd better run four. Outside of that, I guess Discard is pretty good on the draw. Opponent commits to a line of play then discard fucks their plans up. Obvious downside though of having no synergy with Mox and just not being a goblin. The format is so insanely grindy right now that the more goblins we can squeeze into the deck the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information