Page 55 of 97 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1923

Thread: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    Lastly, as far as actually playing goes: Rarely actually wasteland them. Port is fantastic in the matchup, since they run on so few lands that cutting them on colors is totally doable, and makes playing around stifle a lot easier, since they’re less likely to be holding up mana on your turn.
    Yea, RUG Tempo is a match-up where I've gotten percentages from fancy porting. Like, during my upkeep to make my fresh Warchief attack go through.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbirr View Post
    Well done for representing Goblins at your LGS.

Sad that you didn't Matron for Tarfire. They have no Counters, we can play safe here. Or maybe were you short on cards and need something from cycling? Anyway, you could have tutored for Matron again, play her, grab Gempalm and delay you Confidant kill for 1 turn.
    your line is also good, but turned out that my opp had more than one removal in hand.. i was searching for some gas because i had nothing left in hand. i was thinking "i take the risk but i can gain a great advantage if it works" without considering "if it don't work, i have no other chances to kill bob". so the safe way looks definitely better there.

1goblinlackey way to deal with RUG is correct one. you have to cheat them choosing what they can counter and what they cannot. the Mandril build is more difficult to deal with because of trample. tarmo and goose are not that scary if you have some tokens to chump and delver is an easy prey for our removal. also don't esitate to trade lackey for goose or delver in the first turns, it can buy some time and help reaching the midgame where we are favoured tnx to card advantage and board presence.
    of course is a powerful deck, but the MU is favorable for us thanks to vial, lackey and mana denial. post board our advantage decrease a little because of rough//tumble (edit: and artifact hate) but still favorable. GY hate is goddamn good since affect 66% of their threat. other than surgical, also EW squad can steal them colored mana.

Sasan

Do you think Goblins is making a comeback?

If you look at the decks to beat Goblins is in a good shape:

Vs Miracles: Extremely favorable
    Vs Grixis: Even or slightly favorable
    Vs Czech Pile: Slightly Favorable
    Vs Lands: Favorable
    Vs Show’n’Tell: Slightly unfavorable
    Eldrazi Stompy: Favorable.
    actually i don't think so.. looks like we are not as efficient as most of the other decks are
    Last edited by menph; 02-12-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Hello guys,

I'm here to tell to you, here in Brazil we have 2 great events: Nationals Legacy and CLM.

In nationals, we almost had a goblins in top8's... losing to a MIRACLES (OMG) on last game to top8's cut. I'm not sure, but he made 6-2 on Day 1 and 3-2 on Day2.

We have another gobbo player, that made top4 on a 84-players championship here.

I was sure that goblins should be the right deck, but i was too busy to play the CLM. So i decided to borrow my deck to a friend... and he gone to the FINALS with goblin.

Well... we had 2 goblins on top8 on CLM, and another Goblins almost top 8 too. Both lists were EXTREMELY Similar.

I will not make a report, but i will link the vods of top8. My friend played all 3 games of top8's on vod.

https://youtu.be/5VGkSI27rXY

Here is the decklist:

Main deck

Lands (20)
    9 Mountain
    4 Wasteland
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 Rishadan Port
    1 Pendelhaven

Creatures (29)
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 Warren Instigator
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Sparksmith
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

Spells(11)
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Tarfire
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Pyrokinesis

Sideboard
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

4 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Sudden Demise

I played the nationals with a similar list, made made 5-3 on day 1, and going to 34th place... cut for top 32 :(

So i trained with this list to borrow to my friend... i can answer any question abouth decklist.

But here in Brazil, was a great day for gobbos... and i'm pretty happy with our deck.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

I played a Legacy tournament today. My record was terrible, but I had a memorable experience in the last round; beating UB Reanimator 2-0 after taking a mulligan to four in game one.

G1 I kept the following hand: Lackey, Matron, Cavern, Foothills.
    I scried a Prospector to the top and played t1 Cavern, Lackey, go. My opponent played Polluted Delta and passed.
    T2 I cracked the Wooded Foothills for a Badlands and attacked with lackey. Lackey put Matron into play, searching up EWS. I then played prospector, saccing both it and the matron to cast EWS. My opponent responded by fetching for a swamp and entombing Elesh-Norn. I look through his deck and see that he has no lands in hand, so I proceed to take away his three underground seas. This turns Bloodstained Mire into a blank, and Reanimate won't be live in two turns anyway. He doesn't find the second land, and I win.

G2 I keep a phenomenal hand with Surgical Extraction, Relic of Progenitus, 2x Cabal Therapy, and three lands.
    My opponent leads of with land, petal into escalated Collective Brutality, discarding a Griselbrand. I Surgical in response, leaving him with petal, ponder, and exhume in hand.
    He plays the petal and ponders, not shuffling. I untap and play the second therapy, taking away his exhume.
    After that I get lackey and relic into play, but also draw a lot of lands. At one point my opponent casts Show and Tell because I somehow forgot that card was a thing and elected to not flashback therapy. I crack relic in response and find EWS. Two turns later I find Matron for Stingscourger and win. So basically I got extremely lucky, screwed up to give my opponent a chance to win, and then got very lucky again.

@Sagratho

tnx for the youtube link, we're always hungry of goblin coverage content, especially from high profile tournament ;)

atm i'm very happy with my build, but would be interesting to test the Winstigator list again.
    i just tried it for a short period but quit soon because it didn't match my playstyle with gobs. my feel at that time was that winstigator version have a more aggressive approach but tend to run out of gas sooner than the classic one. i think my impression was mainly due to chrome mox that is a great card for opening hands but a very bad topdeck midgame and poor against decay, revoker, flickerwisp and any shatter effect. When they took it away you not only loose a mana source but also the red card used for imprint even if we are able to cover pretty well the card loss tnx to our draw engine. that always felt terrible for me, also because when we lost a mox it became immediately more difficult to cast our 3 or 4 drop.
    the lack of MWM make me feel naked since we loose his ability to chump and gain some tempo while we develop mana and vial

can you help me with thorn choices over chalice?
    with only 2x chrome moxes as fast mana it's not frequent as T1 play. even if i prefer tax effect over chalice, i'm playing the second one since i can play it for x=0 in my 1st turn. i see the tension between chalice @0 and chrome mox as i see thorn let you play pyroblast and surgical, but do you think surgical extraction is enough as the only T1 piece of combo hate?
    Last edited by menph; 02-13-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Hello @menph

U should try the instigator list... its the best list before sensei's ban.

I think u should not care about losing to a turn 1 combo. Even DnT thats a tier 1, cant answer a turn 1 combo.

So, tarfire is a strong piece and a core card in this build and some matchs that u could side in Chalice, like grixis or elves, tafire shines... so this matchs i should not side in chalice.

For me chalice or thorn are combo hate cards and to my playstyle, i choose thorn, becouse i like more surgical than faerie macabra, and without a single piledriver in 75 cards, i need pyroblast too.

Against Show and Tell, chalice does nothing... and storm cannot combo over thorn, but can combo with chalice on board (it's hard but they can).

Against Reanimator, i do not side-ou aether vial (i have another stingscouger on sideboard nowdays), so i preffer thorn over chalice on this match.

Thorn never hurts u... with chalice on board u need to make some big decision in game. With thorn i can consider Relic, Cage, Needle on side.

On combo matchup, i play very agressive agains his lands with thorn, wasteland, rishada and settler. its really stong and seems very unfair.

Thats why i preffer thorn over chalice on gobbos.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Hi everyone, I went 3-1 yesterday in our local weekly legacy tournament. Round one I lost vs Affinity. After that I beat the mirror, BUG Delver, and UB Reanimator.

I'm pretty happy with my maindeck right now, but would like a better sideboard plan vs BUG, and more Surgical Extractions in the sideboard.

Apr 2014
    Switzerland

Sandro, against BUG Delver or Canadian Threshold, I suppose you want Blood Moon or Relic.

For those running the winstigator list, where are you at between sphere of resistance vs thorn of amethyst?

thorn by far... against combo match up (other than reanimator or turbo deapths) i side out all aether vial for 4 thorn, so i cast all my goblins paying mana. And thorn don't hurt us by doing it.

U only need sphere against elves (alluren isnt on meta). And against elves i have: 4 tarfire, 2 gempalm, 2 pyrokinesis, 2 blood moon (they have only 2 basic land), 1 sudden demise, 1 sharpshooter, 1 sparksmith and they must beat 4 lacay and 4 instigator with 1 pendelhaven. its almost impossible to lose this game.

I see no pros on using sphere on goblins SB

I see Quacker's point here: With 8 lackeys + 4 vial, sphere can theoretically hurt any other deck more than us.
    Looks spicy

Inviato dal mio SM-A320F utilizzando Tapatalk

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Sandro, against BUG Delver or Canadian Threshold, I suppose you want Blood Moon or Relic.
    Yeah, I agree. Right now I'm sideboarding 2 Relic, 2 Pyrokinesis for the matchup, but I'm not thrilled about the pyros. Not sure what the matchup needs though.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Sagratho View Post
    thorn by far... against combo match up (other than reanimator or turbo deapths) i side out all aether vial for 4 thorn, so i cast all my goblins paying mana. And thorn don't hurt us by doing it.

U only need sphere against elves (alluren isnt on meta). And against elves i have: 4 tarfire, 2 gempalm, 2 pyrokinesis, 2 blood moon (they have only 2 basic land), 1 sudden demise, 1 sharpshooter, 1 sparksmith and they must beat 4 lacay and 4 instigator with 1 pendelhaven. its almost impossible to lose this game.

I see no pros on using sphere on goblins SB
    what are your thoughts on the infect matchup? i've tested this a bunch with a winstigator list about 6-12 months ago, and overall it seems very unfavorable. (although i did squeak out a win when it counted).
    -rob

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    For those running the winstigator list, where are you at between sphere of resistance vs thorn of amethyst?
    Sphere is only better against Aluren and Food Chain. If you don't have to worry about those in your meta, Thorn is much better.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Apr 2014
    Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Right now I'm sideboarding 2 Relic, 2 Pyrokinesis for the matchup, but I'm not thrilled about the pyros. Not sure what the matchup needs though.
    Ok, I see, why you find it hard. I wouldn't side Pyrokinesis in, it's useless against Nimble Mongoose and it could possibly be dazed. We lose to Goyf and Daze in this MU, so if you take care of the GY with Relic and keep as many blockers as possible, you should go wider than them. The MU is not easy, though. We need a good draw and play around Daze, ALWAYS! I lost 0-2 yesterday, because of 3 Dazes -_- Was too careless. Otherwise, I consider it slightly favorable.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Ok, I see, why you find it hard. I wouldn't side Pyrokinesis in, it's useless against Nimble Mongoose and it could possibly be dazed. We lose to Goyf and Daze in this MU, so if you take care of the GY with Relic and keep as many blockers as possible, you should go wider than them. The MU is not easy, though. We need a good draw and play around Daze, ALWAYS! I lost 0-2 yesterday, because of 3 Dazes -_- Was too careless. Otherwise, I consider it slightly favorable.
    I just bring in Relics.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

My post was about BUG Delver, not Canadian, but good advice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    My post was about BUG Delver, not Canadian, but good advice. :)
    Against BUG delver, I'd say relic is definitely our best sideboard option. Warren Weirding is solid as well, they don't have many fodder creatures. I'd also be somewhat tempted to bring in Pithing Needle nowadays because of how threatening Lili, the last hope is. There's DRS of course as well, and perhaps sideboarded jitte's that they're sure to bring in.

The other knockout card is obviously blood moon. They're completely dead to it, just gotta find a window to resolve it.

Pyrokinesis is pretty medium in any Hymn matchup, and it doesn't efficiently kill any creatures other than Delver and DRS. The fact that they also probably have Leovold makes Pyro extremely painful to play.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Post DRS Goblins MTGO Leagues Only Data

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by 1GoblinLackey View Post
    Against BUG delver, I'd say relic is definitely our best sideboard option. Warren Weirding is solid as well, they don't have many fodder creatures. I'd also be somewhat tempted to bring in Pithing Needle nowadays because of how threatening Lili, the last hope is. There's DRS of course as well, and perhaps sideboarded jitte's that they're sure to bring in.

The other knockout card is obviously blood moon. They're completely dead to it, just gotta find a window to resolve it.

Pyrokinesis is pretty medium in any Hymn matchup, and it doesn't efficiently kill any creatures other than Delver and DRS. The fact that they also probably have Leovold makes Pyro extremely painful to play.
    I've considered needle as well. Blood Moon is obviously great, but I don't play them at the moment. I'll skip pyrokinesis next time though and see if I can figure out a sideboard plan I'm happy with. Thanks for the advice.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Hi everyone, I went 2-1-1 yesterday in our local weekly legacy tournament.

R1 UW Taxes 1-1-1
    R2 BR Reanimator 1-2
    R3 12 Post 2-0
    R4 Steel Stompy 2-1

Highlights:
    Game two vs UW Taxes I got to Jedi mind trick my opponent. T1 I played prospector, pass. They played a flooded strand and passed. On my turn I thought for a while and then asked my opponent "which is the worst equipment for me?". My opponent answered, and I thought some more, then went "anyway, I'm gonna play this" and played my needle. Opponent let it resolve and I named flooded strand.

Game one vs 12 Post my opponent cast an Emrakul and took an extra turn. I sacrificed four goblins to the annihilator trigger and killed them with sharpshooter mid combat.

I won game one against Steel Stompy on a mull to four. I kept four lands, one of which was a wasteland and scryed a warchief to the top. Turn one I played a land and passed. My opponent played ancient tomb, chalice. I wastelanded them and they didn't find another land for a while, while I curved warchief into ringleader.

Thread Information