Page 63 of 97 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1923

Thread: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by egoblinsw View Post
    I don’t recommend king. He’s slow/clunky and doesn’t really play to our strengths. I would much rather see a pile driver in your list than king, he adds tons of damage to a race, and can’t be blocked by TNN.
    An advantage of Goblin King to consider is that we don't need to fear facing it in a mirror match, goblins.deck being as popular as it is....
    I think to get the best out of Piledriver, you really need this in the list too, but only against certain opponents. Situational, and I don't want to devote sideboard space to something like this. As much as I like this card in multiplayer along with Krenko, I don't see the space in a goblin list for a conditional card choice.
    As far as I see it, the standard squad of Ringleader, Lackey, Matron & Winstigator really don't spare much room. I prefer MWM, Chieftain & Piledriver in those flex slots together with singletons like Sharpshooter etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I think it's a good card, but RRR is too difficult to cast reliably and I don't think it's worth adjusting the manabase
    This.
    Goblin Chainwhirler
    It's not a bad card, but it's made for a Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx deck, not legacy goblins.deck IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    You should be able to buy time with Tarfire, Pyorkinesis, Gempalm if you have to play a slow Sharphshooter. Otherwise, Sharpshooter comes down with haste and does what he does.
    While I don't disagree with this (and I do think Sharpshooter is still overall better) if you are thinking about maindecking either of them you also should consider the matchups/games where Sharpshooter is just "2R 1/1: Doesn't untap". 3 mana 3/3 First Strike is a much stronger 'fail case'.

First "dominaria" event in :) Played in a semi-local 28 man event near boston.

List
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Warren Instigator
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Kiki-Jiki
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    1 Lightning Crafter
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Goblin Piledriver
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

1 Pyrokinesis
    3 Tarfire
    4 Aether Vial

3 Chrome Mox
    3 Mountain
    2 Badlands
    6 Fetches
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Pendelhaven

Side
    2 Chalice of the Void
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Damping Sphere
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Earwig Squad

R1 1-2 Loss to 4c Pile- Just got eventually ground out, had to use too many resources to get their lili the last hope off of the battlefield. The game I won was off as chalice x=1, which stranded 6 cards in their hand. G3 I got them down to 3, with lethal on board, but couldn't get the last through

R2 2-0 Win vs Mono Red Sneak- I had good hands and he did not, lackey+Settler and some wastelands made his life miserable.

R3 2-1 Win vs Dredge- I managed to steal G1 by wasting his cephalid colisseum T1, and then he missed on his first dredge. I got prospector+creatures up before he could find more dredge/dig, and locked out his bridges. G2 He crushed me with Breakthrough+LED T1. G3 I got my cage down T1. He dug pretty hard and cast some dudes, but was paying life for every land he tapped. Won with a bit of burn and a big swing. I brought in Damping sphere here, and it didn't seem like the worst... but also not the best.

R4 2-1 Win vs Br Reanimator- Stole G1 with Karakas. He drew a ton of cards off a gristlebrand, but then was at very low life, and couldn't make a non-legendary creature fast enough to win. G2 I got a damping sphere down which slowed him a bit, but not enough. Dark Ritual into Exhume still works. G3 I got a lackey into damping sphere, and surgicaled his first threat. Got a stingscourger for the second and won. Damping sphere felt very good on the play, but very bad on the draw.

R5 ID with food chain.

T8, T4, Finals- All Br Reanimator, all 2-1 wins. I was on the play all of the matches, which really helped. Some of these might have been 2-0 if my stingscourger was maindeck. I got lucky, and mulled very hard. Karakas helped a lot, and I only brought damping spheres and chalices in on the play. Sided out vials, sharpshooter, crafter, and some combination of tarfires and ringleaders depending on the play/draw. Beat Sire of Insanity a few times with good topdecks, and had opponents attack, opening themselves to instigator a few times.

Overall, I liked damping sphere just enough to keep trying it. I didn't face the matchups it's really meant for, but it still pulled some weight. Karakas and Pedelhaven both helped, with pendelhaven giving me the last two-four damage on instigator a few times, and karakas singlehandedly winning several games.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Was the crafter combo useful at all, or was it overkill here?

Curious about 1 chieftain, the 2 warchiefs, and the piledriver.

Thanks for the report.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Was the crafter combo useful at all, or was it overkill here?

Curious about 1 chieftain, the 2 warchiefs, and the piledriver.

Thanks for the report.
    The crafter combo has not been useful, I've yet to actually use it. However, all of the cards have individually been useful. I will play kiki and skirk anyway, so the question really has been whether I want crafter, sparksmith, stingscourger, or another warchief/chieftain. I have found that championing a etb creature is a great way to insulate against removal/sweepers, but I'm not 100%, I might try stingscourger in the slot, or put sparky back in.

I wish I had room for 3 warchief, but I cut one for chieftain as a concession to the double strikers and it being a better tutor on an alpha strike turn.

1 piledriver is similar to chieftain in that respect, it's the highest damage single tutor target, if you have haste, and often comes down for 1. I like having one available, but don't really want it early game.

Maybe this has been answered, but does the new Squee interact with pyrokinesis and chrome mox like I think it does? Can i exile Squee to either one of them and then simply cast it from exile?

Quote Originally Posted by Potdindy View Post
    Maybe this has been answered, but does the new Squee interact with pyrokinesis and chrome mox like I think it does? Can i exile Squee to either one of them and then simply cast it from exile?
    Pyrokinesis, YES
    Chrome Mox, yes, but once you cast Squee chrome mox will stop working, as it will have nothing imprinted anymore. Still could be good later in the game.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Pyrokinesis, YES
    Chrome Mox, yes, but once you cast Squee chrome mox will stop working, as it will have nothing imprinted anymore. Still could be good later in the game.
    +1
    If you've run out of things to cast then you probably have a mana flood on your hands and won't miss the Chrome mox mana anyway.

Has anyone tested running 2-3 of him? I know he's probly terrible vs combo, but against goyf decks, you have an infinite blocker, plus again, makes kinesis a better maindeck card as it can possibly be a 4 for 1

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

The crafter combo has not been useful, I've yet to actually use it. However, all of the cards have individually been useful. I will play kiki and skirk anyway, so the question really has been whether I want crafter, sparksmith, stingscourger, or another warchief/chieftain. I have found that championing a etb creature is a great way to insulate against removal/sweepers, but I'm not 100%, I might try stingscourger in the slot, or put sparky back in.

I wish I had room for 3 warchief, but I cut one for chieftain as a concession to the double strikers and it being a better tutor on an alpha strike turn.

1 piledriver is similar to chieftain in that respect, it's the highest damage single tutor target, if you have haste, and often comes down for 1. I like having one available, but don't really want it early game.
    thanks. the reason why i play more chieftains is to push lackey/instigator through DRS or other annoying creatures.
    -rob

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Hello everyone,

I got the chance to play with Goblin Chainwhirler in Legacy for the first time tonight. The card performed really well (I played two copies in the sideboard), and I intend to do further testing with it, most likely moving them to the maindeck. I have pretty high hopes for this card, and am excited to try to find a good list for it. I strongly recommend others try it as well. Either way, I'm hoping to have a list + maybe an article ready in ~2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I got the chance to play with Goblin Chainwhirler in Legacy for the first time tonight. The card performed really well (I played two copies in the sideboard), and I intend to do further testing with it, most likely moving them to the maindeck. I have pretty high hopes for this card, and am excited to try to find a good list for it. I strongly recommend others try it as well. Either way, I'm hoping to have a list + maybe an article ready in ~2 weeks.
    Waiting for mine to come in. I imagine they're better in a Chieftain build, because of RRR and getting pumped. I think you def want a haste lord too though. Dropping this guy, deal 1 to everything, then being able to attack with a 4/4 first strike...this is like playing Eldrazi!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Whats your manabase?

I tried him in a greedy manabase (2 Chrome Mox, 3 port, 4 wasteland, 1 pendelhaven, winstigator build) 1 main and 1 in the side. Didn't got the chance to play against grixis delver, put he killed a Liliana of the veil who just edict another gobbo with ETB trigger, killed 2 Eldrazi Mimics, and the first strike was very relevant.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'm pretty sure this guy is great for a few slots.
    -rob

Apr 2014
    Switzerland

I'm also testing Chainwhirler in a classic build with only 15 red sources, see manabase below:

4 Caverns
    4 Wastelands
    7 Fetches
    3 Mountains
    1 Taiga
    2 Karakas
    2 Rishadan Port

For now, it was never a problem to cast her at all. I don't want to cast her during a main phase, anyway. I want to vial her and benefit her ETB effect to block a Batterskull or a Gurmag with a token.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Whats your manabase?
    23 lands, 18 red sources

(4 Cavern of Souls,
    4 Snow-Covered Mountain,
    3 Badlands,
    3 Arid Mesa,
    2 Bloodstained Mire,
    2 Wooded Foothills,
    4 Wasteland,
    1 Pendelhaven)

Goblin chainwhirler is a beast. I played him as a 4 of last night & I was happy to see him everytime he popped up. Idk about staying at 4 but at least 3. Favorite trick of the night? Blocked a gurmag with chainwhirler, before damage I tarfired the gurmag, then first strike damage, goodbye gurmag lol

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Goblin chainwhirler is a beast. I played him as a 4 of last night & I was happy to see him everytime he popped up. Idk about staying at 4 but at least 3. Favorite trick of the night? Blocked a gurmag with chainwhirler, before damage I tarfired the gurmag, then first strike damage, goodbye gurmag lol
    That sounds awesome, but why did you Tarfire before damage?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

b/c he wanted to get 2 for 1'd, but despite his effort still killed the angler.
    -rob

Thread Information