Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1923

Thread: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Re: [Deck] Vial Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbirr View Post
    How to kill Goyf with Tarfire ?

Prerequisites:
    - Graveyard is empty,
    - Relic of Progenitus is in play.
    Tarfire on its own can't. With Relic it works, sure. But you have to blow a Relic and a Tarfire just to kill Goyf. If you have a Relic in play, often you can just attack with everything and ignore Goyfs. If they block, you can shrink them to 0/1s (unless opponent has an uncracked fetch or cheap instant to cast, and if you're worried about that you can just blow Relic postcombat to trade your dork with Goyf). I don't see this as a reason to play Tarfire. Once you start adding other cards, a lot of things can kill Goyf. Tarfire + Swords to Plowshares also kills Goyf!

Most importantly this tactic may not work on turn 2 to push Lackey through (the context of why to run Tarfires instead of some other removal). If you need to pop Relic, it's 3 mana total (Relic, Tarfire, activate). It only works if you only need to tap to exile your own Tarfire (e.g. just a fetch in their yard).

I won the last league of legacy (60 players) with this list:

Maindeck:
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Cavern of Souls
    5 Mountain
    1 Plateau
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    2 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    4 Goblin Warchief
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger
    4 Æther Vial
    2 Tarfire
    Sideboard:
    1 Karakas
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Blood Moon
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Pyrokinesis

Matches:

2-0 Show and tell
    2-0 POX
    2-0 UR Burn
    2-1 Goblins
    2-0 Miracles
    Split

Top8: 2-0 Stoneblade
    Top4: 2-1 Grixis Control
    Final: 2-0 ANT

Next changes: -1 Siege-Gang Commander +1 Lightning Crafter

Regards!

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

[Deck] Vial Goblins

Since I moved 6 months ago I haven't so much as touched a Magic card, much less played in a tournament, so I am very excited to get the chance to play again and try out some of the newly printed Gobbos. I've been running through the exercise of deckbuilding and wanted to put my proposed list together for the group to assess and set me straight if I'm off on anything. Please let me know your thoughts.

12 Mountain
    4 Waste
    4 Port
    4 Cavern

4 Vial
    4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Warchief
    2 Chieftain
    1 Chainwhirler
    4 Gempalm
    2 Trashmaster
    2 Tarfire
    2 Stingscourger

Sideboard
    3 Chalice of the Void
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyrokinesis

Lands - 24
    12 Mountains
    4x Waste, Port, Cavern
    There are a couple of reasons for these numbers. First off, 12 Mountains means 1/5th of my deck is basic lands (trumps Back to Basics), but it also means that my opening 7 cards will have at least 1 Mountain 4 out of 5 times. I think that's significant because 1 basic is a much more keepable and playable one land hand than having a sole non-basic. I'll be running Gempalm and Tarfire so having access to natural R is very important. 24 lands means I'll have 3+ lands by T4 85% of the time, and also lets me run a full playset of each of the most impactful non-basics. Having 3 lands is pretty crucial for our curve, so running 24 over 23 or 22 seems worth the tighter list. Since I'm running so many cards with RR in the cost it's good to have 16 R sources, and I will have RR by T3 3 out of every 4 games.

Core
    4x Vial, Lackey, Matron, Ringleader
    These are the cards that make Goblins special so I'm not cutting any of these.

4 Mogg War Marshal
    Given the abundance of Death's Shadow and Anglers in the format I believe the 2-drop slots are better spent filling the board with tokens than trying to push through damage with Piledrivers. I'll also be running multiple Lord effects to pump these MWM tokens to pressure my opponent.

3 Warchief, 2 Chieftain
    I originally wanted 4 Warchief and 2 Chieftains but needed to make a cut to fit in Chainwhirler. I'll be running 5 haste enablers to help close the game out quicker against Miracles. Chieftain gives pumps, along with Trashmaster, and those pumps should help make up for the fact that I'm not running Piledriver. A 4th Warchief is ultimately redundant because nothing in the list has 4 generic mana in the casting cost.

1 Chainwhirler
    Honestly, I just want to see how it plays out. I've seen plenty of streamers have Chainwhirler stuck in hand, but I've seen the exact same thing happen with Sharpshooter. Chainwhirler at least has a bigger body, and I am also running 16 R mana sources to hardcast her if need be, more often than not by T4. She takes a slot originally filled by the 4th Warchief.

4 Gempalm
    Goblins is especially well suited against the grindy decks right now. 4 MWM should help pump the 4 Gempalms. With so many lands I also need to draw as many cards as possible to reduce flooding, so 4 cycles seems strong and consistent.

2 Trashmaster
    This guy is legit. Having 2 lets you run out the first to eat removal and give pumps, while the second can clear the field of equipment. DnT and Stoneblade are in the DTB right now, and Trashmaster trumps the advantage those decks get from Equipment. I'm also running plenty of fodder with MWM.

2 Tarfire
    This little guy has really fallen out of favor, but he gives the most reach to kill early creatures, planeswalkers, and even go to the dome against players. That's why I want to run 2: One to kill a creature, one to kill a player or planeswalker.

2 Stingscourger
    This will be controversial, but running a 2nd Stingscourger really salts up opponents. It is the best tool we have against Reanimator, Show n Tell and Dark Depths, and having 2 bounce effects for Angler, KotR or even Monastery Mentor really screws with opponents' tempo.

It's worth noting that I have 8 removal slots (4 Gempalm, 2 Tarfire, 2 Stingscourger). It cuts down on the toolbox running this much removal, but I've always found that crucial while jockeying for board position.

Notable omissions:
    No Siege Gang Commander or Kiki Jiki-
    I don't like 5 cmc cards. I don't like putting Vial to 5. I don't like hardcasting them. And they don't guarantee a win enough for me to include them right now. SGC often doesn't have enough mana to be activated, and if he's played in chump-block mode I'm usually losing anyway.

No Piledrivers-
    They don't solve any of the problems that the top decks present right now, and I'm also not running SCG to close out games quickly against combo with Piledriver. These buddies are staying home for the time being.

No Winstigator-
    It's a great card, but not for this list. I'm trying to keep the curve low and dedicating slots to Winstigators requires you to run more fatties and bigger fatties to cheat in off of him (I'm talking SCG, Kiki, Settler and the likes)

No Sharpshooter-
    I'm trying Chainwhirler in its stead. I'm also not running Skirk Prospector because I have enough lands to not need the mana, and Trashmaster T4 should still be fast enough to keep equipment from running the game.

Sideboard
    3 Chalice
    This is enough to play Chalice at 0, 1 and 2 against Storm. I'll often side it in against Delver decks and Miracles, but I never want more than 3 in those instances anyway

1 Thorn of Amethyst
    This helps to deal with SnT style decks a bit better than Chalice.

4 Leyline of the Void
    Honestly, I just don't know what to expect from the meta for graveyard strategies, so I'm just going to run the biggest, dumbest hate card I've got access to. It's obviously killer against reanimator, but I also side it against Storm. You can even play it to cut off the recursion strategies of Loam decks. If I had a stronger handle on what my meta will look like I would consider other cards, but the Decks to Beat don't need their graveyards to win, so I'm aiming to use Leylines to trump the all-in graveyard strategies that might show up.

3 Blood Moons
    There is always a lands deck.

2 Pithing Needle
    I don't love this card, but it can be played against a host of combo strategies like Sneak Attack and Thespian Stage. Those are two disparate strategies that we are weak to, so it seems wise to play a card that can address both issues. We also lack an answer to Planeswalkers, so here's a solution.

2 Pyrokinesis
    I'm not even sure if this is necessary, but it is good against every fair deck except Grixis Control (Hymn to Tourach and Kholgan's Command).

My apologies for the rambling posts today. I'd love any feedback that you all consider constructive. I'll post on facebook Legacy Goblins group as well. Regards!

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

@JackS2

Thanks for representing the tribe, and good job!

Why did you choose Karakas over a Containment Priest for instance?

Isn't that the rub. Bring 4 Leylines, don't see Reanimator.

What is your board plan for Grixis Control, were you worried about it?

What other match-ups are you worried about other than "combo is bad?"

---

@jrw1985

The big thing we are all trying to figure out right now is how to handle Grixis Control.

Most people are shaving Piledrivers right now, so that's not that unusual. I don't think I like going below 2 personally, that pivot clock is just too damn useful for me.

I'm also down to 2 Pyrokinesis in a classic shell. It just seems natural, especially with Cratermaker entering the list.

Speaking of which

Goblin Cratermaker is coming out, are you going to be running it?

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

@Olaf
    Re: Grixis Control
    This does seem to be a problem. They keep pace with our CA through Strix and Snapcaster. Snapcaster on Hymn and K Command seem to be the real threat since that keeps us from getting ahead and gives them time to land a planeswalker to lock us out. Needle for the planeswalkers seems to be the best trump we can run, but unfortunately they have a built-in response with K command. I see their deck having real trouble under a Leyline of the Void since they lose their Snapcaster synergies and they cannot cast Angler. This is a loose strategy though because of the inherent problems with Leyline. Still, thy will lose thei 4-drops and 5-drops when they cannot snap back good cards from the gy. I think I will try it out though if I have the chance to play them soon.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

4-0, ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    @JackS2

Thanks for representing the tribe, and good job!

Why did you choose Karakas over a Containment Priest for instance?

Isn't that the rub. Bring 4 Leylines, don't see Reanimator.

What is your board plan for Grixis Control, were you worried about it?

What other match-ups are you worried about other than "combo is bad?"

Karakas is a rotating piece. It is useful against Show and tell and reanimator, returns Marit Lage and other legendary creatures, saves our thalia vs blue decks, and allows us to play the side.

The only pairing I can not win without side is combo, that's why my side is focused on. I don't like cards like, Thorn of Amethyst or other similar , since they don't kill. And I play two Piledrivers because i can kill vs combo in turn 3º with them.

I, personally believe that Grixis Control is a good pairing. His mana base is very weak, and his removals do not cut our card advantage. The main problem is that you have bad luck against a Hymn or you get stuck in mana. With thalias, wastelands and rishadans, you can make your opponent focus on escape from your denial, which translates into your late game being superior and having your rival burn their resources. I share the opinion of Jim Davis regarding Goblins.

Bad pairings besides combo I think they are: Miracles with helm, rest in peaces and energy field. Eldrazi Stompy(Colorless) and some burn lists. There may be others, but now I do not remember.

And i will play 1 Goblin Cratermaker -1 tarfire.

Regards!

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JackS2 View Post
    I, personally believe that Grixis Control is a good pairing.
    I must be doing something terribly wrong, or you are doing something terribly right, but with a literal 30~ match tests with all sorts of different configurations I was not able to keep a positive record against them unless I had dumb cards like Leyline of Sanctity or 4 MB Chainwhirlers.

I'd love to see you pilot it against them, maybe I could learn something.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Tourney Report!
    4-0'd last night with the list I agonized over and it felt incredible. Went 8-1 in games losing only to Sneak n Show G1. The list was incredibly resilient and got out of a lot of bad situations. It was also very consistent with only one mulligan in 9 games.

12 Mountain
    4 Waste
    4 Port
    4 Cavern

4 Vial
    4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Piledriver
    3 Warchief
    2 Chieftain
    1 Chainwhirler
    4 Gempalm
    2 Trashmaster
    1 Tarfire
    1 Mogg Fanatic
    2 Stingscourger

Sideboard
    3 Chalice of the Void
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyrokinesis

R1 - Eldrazi Stompy
    G1 My opponent opens on a Matter Reshaper into TKS into Jitte. I build a board of 4 gobbos after Jitte already has 2 counters on it. One of my crew is a Fanatic. Opponent attacks with Matter Reshaper and equipped TKS. I'm already at 3 life. Before blocks I Gempalm TKS. He kills 2 gobbos in response, leaving Fanatic and another 1/1. I block Matter Reshaper with Fanatic and TKS with the 1/1, sacing Fanatic before damage to kill TKS and draw a card. He plays another TKS but I'm able to bounce it with a Stingscourger and Waste him off of 4 mana. I follow that up with Trashmaster to finally clear the Jitte and I take over the game from there.

Side out Tarfire, 2 Gempalm, 2 Lackey, side in 3 Blood Moon, 2 Pyrokinesis

G2 I take some TKS beats again and Jitte hits the table again, but I get a Trashman again and this time also have a Blood Moon to lock him out.

I took a ton of damage both games but was able to stall until I could control the board both times. Trashman was the MVP, but Stingscourger and Gempalm did loads of work as well. The deck really let me crawl back in the game from a horrible situation G1, which is probably my favorite thing about playing Goblins. It ain't over til it's over.

R2 - Sneak and Show
    G1 I'm on the play and since there were only 10 players I already saw what everyone was on last round. My opening 7 has no 1-drop but it has Stingscourger, and I figure that's my best bet at a win G1 so I keep. I have no pressure and no disruption for him, so he just SnT's into Omniscience into Emrakul into Grizz. Yup.

Side out Gempalms, Tarfire and a MWM for 3 Chalice, 1 Thorn of Amethyst, 2 Pithing Needle.

G2 My 7 has double Lackey and Chalice. I play Lackey T1, Chalice @1 T2 and cheat in the 2nd Lackey. T3 I cheat in Matron and Piledriver, then Port him in upkeep. Swing for 10 T4, then cheat MWM into play. I fully realize I'm overextended with that play, but I want a follow-up token in case of a board wipe. That's exactly what happens as he Kozilek's Returns in response to my Porting. He's down to 4 life. I attack for 1 a turn for the next 4 turns while Porting him. On the 4th attack he casts Wipe Away on my token. I promptly draw a hasty goblin ftw next turn.

G3 Opponent mulls to 5 while I keep a slow 7 with a Chalice and no 1-drop. Vial gets forced T1. I land the Chalice T2, but at by this point my opponent has already played 3 cantrips. I really don't like Chalice in the MU because of that. My opponent plays a Sneak Attack off a Volcanic. I draw Needle next turn but cannot play it because of Chalice. I do have the Waste though so I take out his R source and without cantrips he cannot find a 2nd. I eventually overrun him despite drawing plenty of 1-drops myself. I was very lucky that my opponent mulled to 5 this game. I don't think I would have won if he was 2 cards deeper. And I hated the nobo of Chalice @ 1 and Needle in this MU. Still, the hate did what it was supposed to.

R3 - RUG Delver AKA Temur Delver AKA Canadian Threshold
    G1 on the draw, my opening 7 has Cavern, Vial, Lackey and the rest is gobbos with a good Vial curve. I hate it. I know I'm going to keep it, I know he's going to Daze my Vial T1, and I know he's going to Waste my Cavern T2 and I'll be left without a board. And that is exactly what happens! T2 is draw, go. T3 I find a Mountain and cast a Lackey that is promptly killed. My opponent has the answers for my threats, but fortunately for me he has no threats of his own. Until he plays TNN. I find a second land and respond with MWM. Opponent remarks "I guess I can race that" and attacks me with TNN. I get my third land next turn (Cavern?), slam a Chieftain and swing back for 6. Next turn he does not attack. He plays a Delver a few turns later which I Tarfire. He taps out to hardcast FoW on the Tarfire. I follow up by Matoning for a Piledriver next turn and attacking through his blue creatures for more than lethal.

I side out 3 Lackeys for Chalice.

G2 I keep a hand with multiple Vials. My opponent is cheeky and plays a Null Rod T2 which completely stops me from developing my board. I keep casting and ticking up Vial though because I know I'll draw a Trashmaster later. A flipped Delver starts bashing me, and he's joined by a threshed-out Mongoose. I keep making my land drops and eventually am able to Matron for Trashman, then activate Vials at 3 and 4 to fill the board. I have a Gempalm in hand and Vial in Matron for a 2nd Gempalm to play around Stifle. I'm at 5 life and about to take a Delver hit. He attacks me to 2 and does not have a bolt to finish me. I Gempalm Delver on my turn and he Stifles the damage. Don't forget that you still get to draw off the cycle in this instance because the cycle is an activated ability and the damage is a triggered ability. Stifle only hits one half. The second Gempalm gets the job done. At one point I attack into the 3/3 Goose with a Ringleader and vial in either a Cheiftain or Trashmaster after blocks to trade. I dodge bolt for another turn and attack with a a beefy crew of pumped goblins to steal the game.

Trashmaster was great all day but was especially amazing here. I never would have expected Null Rod and would have been completely unprepared without Trashman in the main. I never would have sided in Tuktuk in this MU, so Trashman gave me an out to a card that would have locked me out otherwise.

R4 - Gobbos!!!!
    G1 on the draw I take a bunch of early beats and am down to 8 life, but 4 Gempalms gets me enough advantage and helps me control his utility goblins so that I can turn the tides in the late game. I made certain to kill his Warchiefs quickly so that he could not Sharpshooter me. I saw him Ringleader into Chainwhirler and used my own Vial @3 to play Chieftain in response to his Chainwhirler trigger. My Chainwhirler was the board wipe effect I needed to put me in a winning position.

side out 2 Stingscouger, bring in 2 Pyrokinesis

G2 was the one of the grindiest and most fun games of Magic I've ever played. I mulled to 6 on a no-lander (my only mull of the day) and we went through about 40 cards each over the course of this game. Again I played the control role and focused on avoiding his cards that could blow me out. My opponent threw a couple spicy meatballs at me in the form of Smuggler's Copter and Jitte. He actually was able to clear my board with a Chainwhirler trigger and Jitte counters. I was in a pretty bad spot, but I had a Trashmaster at the ready. Jitte had two counters on it. I cast Trashmaster then cast MWM. With MWM's etb trigger on the stack I sac'd the MWM card to Trashmaster targeting the Jitte. I then stacked the MWM dying trigger below the Trashmaster trigger so that the only Jitte target was Trashmaster. My opponent was therefor forced to use Jitte to gain life because I did not have any MWM tokens in play to target. After trashmaster's effect resolved and Jitte hit the bin the MWM dying trigger resolved and I got a token, then the ETB trigger resolved and I got the other token. Super cool play on my part that I just noticed in the moment. Trashman and Chieftain pumps allowed me to go super wide and win from there.

It was a great tournament. MVP was running 24 lands and 4 Gempalms. Trashmaster was a fucking beast all day, killing 3 Jittes, a couple Vials, A Smuggler's Copter, a Null Rod and multiple opponents. I had some good luck but also found myself on my back foot in some very difficult situations which the deck was able to work its way out of. This list was incredibly consistent and low variance. This is probably the lowest-variance build of the deck I've ever put together. I've played a lot of Goblins over the years and I honestly believe this is the best list I've ever played.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Gratz man!
    Glad you didn't sell when you moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Forkbeard View Post
    I must be doing something terribly wrong, or you are doing something terribly right, but with a literal 30~ match tests with all sorts of different configurations I was not able to keep a positive record against them unless I had dumb cards like Leyline of Sanctity or 4 MB Chainwhirlers.

I'd love to see you pilot it against them, maybe I could learn something.

I don't think I do anything special. I've been playing goblins since 2010 (the years when mogg fanatic was good http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=5306&iddeck=38385) and now that they have banned the shaman, I play them again in the same way. As I said, when I play against grixis, I try to attack their mana base the first turns. You can try playing thalias or more blood moons. A single blood moon assures you an 80-90% win. I like to attack their mana base the first turns until I have enough mana to play several goblins (or vial with 3-4 points). If you focus only on playing goblins, he will take control of the game and that's when he will start dancing with the snapcaster and the kologhan + Jace, etc ...

Regards.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

It looks like you can shut off a lot of their cards if you can keep Grixis Control off of its 2 Badlands and 1-2 Volcanic Islands. Those 3-4 red sources seem to be it for them. It shouldn’t be too difficult to keep them from flashing back K Command.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Jitte had two counters on it. I cast Trashmaster then cast MWM. With MWM's etb trigger on the stack I sac'd the MWM card to Trashmaster targeting the Jitte. I then stacked the MWM dying trigger below the Trashmaster trigger so that the only Jitte target was Trashmaster. My opponent was therefor forced to use Jitte to gain life because I did not have any MWM tokens in play to target. After trashmaster's effect resolved and Jitte hit the bin the MWM dying trigger resolved and I got a token, then the ETB trigger resolved and I got the other token.
    This play doesn't work.
    If you sacrifice MWM to activate trashmaster you HAVE to make the goblin token before the trashmaster activation resolves, you can't choose the order

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    This play doesn't work.
    If you sacrifice MWM to activate trashmaster you HAVE to make the goblin token before the trashmaster activation resolves, you can't choose the order
    I definitely would have gotten a judge ruling if one was available. It seemed to me that since both triggers go on the stack at the same time that I’d chose the order. People seem to think I’m wrong here and I absolutely could be. I’ll ask a judge the next time I see one.

I definitely would have gotten a judge ruling if one was available. It seemed to me that since both triggers go on the stack at the same time that I’d chose the order. People seem to think I’m wrong here and I absolutely could be. I’ll ask a judge the next time I see one.

Trashmaster isn't a trigger, it's an activated ability.
    MWM has a triggered ability whose trigger condition happens in the process of activating Trashmaster's ability.
    After the condition has occurred, MWM's ability will try to go on the stack when a player recieves priority.
    Nobody receives priority until after all the steps of activating Trashmaster's ability have happened, at which point the Trashmaster ability is on the stack.
    So the MWM trigger must go on the stack on top of the Trashmaster activation, so the MWM trigger resolves first.

This deck is full of situations that are exactly the same:
    - If you shoot something with Mogg Fanatic / Siege Gang you have to untap Sharpshooter before the Fanatic/SGC damage goes through
    - If you cycle Gempalm incinerator you have to deal the damage before you draw a card
    etc

(be careful about these in IRL events because in the current MTR/IPG you could be considered to have missed the trigger if you do it the other way around)
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 09-23-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012

Yea the triggers are not actually happening at the same time. They are happening as close as they possibly could be without being at the same time. Vial and MWM's Echo happen at the same time, at the beginning of the upkeep, and therefor are re-arrange-able. Sacing a creature is an inherent cost and puts the ability on the stack, and MWM ability triggers in response to it. It's a really common mistake, I used to do it.

Years ago when Pod was standard legal the same situation came up all the time.

Birthing Pod and Solemn Simulacrum.

Opp: I will sac Solemn to Pod choosing to resolve pod first (because they didn't want to break the pod chain by drawing the card in question).

Me: Unfortunately no.

Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

guess its time to dust off the goblins and look forward to the next legacy tournament? missing all the new cards, but theyre affordable. :)
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Tourney report! 5-0 to win a Taiga.

Exact same list I 4-0'd with earlier this week, making me 9-0 for the week.

12 Mountain
    4 Waste
    4 Port
    4 Cavern

4 Vial
    4 Lackey
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Piledriver
    3 Warchief
    2 Chieftain
    1 Chainwhirler
    4 Gempalm
    2 Trashmaster
    1 Tarfire
    1 Mogg Fanatic
    2 Stingscourger

Sideboard
    3 Chalice of the Void
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyrokinesis

R1 - Blazing Shoal Infect
    G1 I honestly thought my opponent was on regular Infect but missed his G land drops. I played a T1 Fanatic which he played a Blighted Agent into T2. So I just killed it. Then he played an Inkmoth Nexus. I played out a Trashmaster and attacked for lethal. Opponent activated Nexus to block. I Tarfired it before blocks. He countered with Flusterstorm, but I had already set up Vial with a goblin in hand and vialed in a redundant goblin to kill the Inkmoth with Trashmaster and hit for exactsies.

Sided out a land and something else for 2 Pyrokinesis.

G2 I had an early Lackey and a bunch of Ports to shut down his Nexus and win.

R2 - Dragon Stompy (Can we just call this Red Prison now?)
    G1 My opponent mulled to 5, so yeah, this one was over before it started. I consciously over-extended into Fiery Confluence to attack for 17, putting him to 3. When he cleared my board I just followed it up with hasty gobbos the next turn to win.
    I sided in 2x Pithing Needle which was pretty useless.
    G2 I kept a 1 land hand with Mountain, 2x Vial and Lackey plus gas. Unfortunately my opponent had the one opener I needed to dodge, T1 Vial @1. It took me wayyyyy too long to draw more lands and I died pretty pathetically to Rabblemaster beats.
    G3 was a doozy. I kept a sweet hand with multiple Vials but my opponent landed an early Sorcerer's Spyglass. I started hard casting goblins while my opponent played Chalice @1, Trinisphere, and most annoyingly, Sin Prodder. I took advantage of the Sin Prodder disynergy with Ensnaring Bridge by heavily Porting his manabase and leaving him without mana to cast all the cards he had to draw with Sin Prodder. My gobbos were still small enough to run under his Bridge, and I took advantage of Piledriver triggers to run damage through. Eventually both our boards were cleared except for 1 goblin token on his side. He had just Confuenced me down to 5 life, and I knew his was going to kill me with another Fiery Confluence next turn. He was down to 2 life himself at this point though (his ancient Tomb did work, and I had been attacking through his Bridge). I drew Matron, found Chieftain, and won by the skin of my teeth.

R3 - Aggo Loam
    G1 I won the Roll and led on Lackey. Opponent had Bayou into GSZ for Dryad Arbor. I wasted the Arbor and connected with Lackey, which put me very far ahead and he had to scoop.

I sided in 4 Leyline of the Void, took out some Lackeys.

G2 I had the Leyline in my opening 7 which made a huge impact. I easily killed all of his KoTR, but I ran into trouble when he played Lilliana the Last Hope. Lilliana does an incredible job controlling the board, and she might have won him the game had he been able to land a creature to support her. I got to the point though where I was going to kill it with a Chainwhirler. My opponent had a Vindicate and had to choose between protecting Lilly or taking out Leyline to get back in the game. He chose to protect Lilly, and so I just kept playing goblins into her until I drew a couple 2/2s. I even cast a Stingscourger and paid its echo just to have an attacker that would stick around. Ringleader finally put a couple bodies on board. Once I answered Lilly the game was over.

R4 - ID

Top 4 - Miracles
    I really don't have anything to say about these 2 games except that I ended each with over 20 life from Swords. I just kept up a board presence of 2-3 goblins and attacked for 2-3 damage per turn until he was dead. Running 5 Haste lords really is helpful in this MU as it allows you to carry on attacking the turn after a big Terminus. Several times I used Port on his W source in MY draw step to bait out the Terminus. That way I could clear the path for a Warchief attack. G2 ended with a swing for 10 that I would normally consider over-extending, but my opponent was down to 2 cards in hand, 2 mana untapped, and had done nothing to set up a Terminus for me, so I figured playing to end the game there was a safer move than letting him untap and draw.

Finals - Storm
    G1 I had 7 lands, then 1 land without 1 drops, then finally kept a 5 card hand. THere was no winning this one.

I sided in 3 Chalice, 1 Thorn and 4 Leylines, taking out some Vials, Stingscourgers and Ringleader/Gempalm.

G2 I land an early Lackey and start swinging for 6 damage a turn. Chalice @0 and Thorn of Amethyst (along with Waste and Port) keep him from going off. He does Tendrils me for 10 life, but that only buys him a few turns.

G3 I open a Leyline, Lackey and lands in my 7 and keep, while my opponent mulls to 5. Lackey is hitting but I draw nothing but lands. My life pad shows him dropping by 1 life per hit from 20 to 10. I also have a couple Ports and am shutting down his lands while he is just drawing blanks. I finally draw a goblin or two to cheat in off Lackey and that seals the deal for me.

5-0, won the Taiga!

Leyline was a beast today against Aggro Loam and Storm. Rishadan Port was amazing as well. It tapped down Inkmoth NExus, helped me play around Terminus, and kept Sin Prodder cards in hand so I could attack through Ensnaring Bridge. Trashmaster killed a couple Nexus, an artifact land, and pumps help win games. Gempalm and 24 lands continued to feel unbeatable in the fair matchups. Chainwhirler drew a Vindicate that otherwise would have potentially let Aggo Loam back in the game.

I have never felt better playing goblins. There are games that feel unlosable. I still want to play against UB Death's Shadow and Grixis Control though! I keep seeing those decks at these tourneys, I just don't run into them. This decklist is awesome, 10/10, I'm still recommending it to anyone that enjoys playing Goblins.

Jim Davis is playing the Legacy Open with a list very similar to mine.

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...jim_davis.html

Artifacts
    4 Aether Vial

Creatures
    4 Gempalm Incinerator
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Stingscourger

Basic Snow Lands
    4 Snow-Covered Mountain

Lands
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Plateau
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland

sd:
    2 Relic of Progenitus (Not currently legal in )
    2 Containment Priest (Not currently legal in )
    1 Goblin Chainwhirler (Not currently legal in )
    1 Goblin Trashmaster (Not currently legal in )
    2 Mindbreak Trap (Not currently legal in )
    2 Pyrokinesis (Not currently legal in )
    2 Surgical Extraction (Not currently legal in )
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (Not currently legal in )

and off course, he wants to play the new Goblin Cratermaker

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by JackS2 View Post
    and off course, he wants to play the new Goblin Cratermaker
    he wants to play it in slots of Trashmaster

Thread Information