Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG Tour Changes - Legacy Support Cut Even Further

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

SCG Tour Changes - Legacy Support Cut Even Further

In their latest series of moves, it seems like SCG has cut legacy support back even further to only two Opens per year, and only two classics per season. I'm not sure they could have given us more of a giant middle finger without cutting the format entirely.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/33951
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: SCG Tour Changes - Legacy Support Cut Even Further

Lol, of course they would take away the small glimmer of happiness where I could at least see top 8 decklists each sunday of something legacy.

I guess even that was too much to ask, let alone watching or even playing legacy on sundays.

Fuck these guys.

Hoping another group steps up to fill that gap :(

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

It's WotC's fault. They have failed to take steps to address the Reserve List conundrum, and they seem to have serious bias against some styles of play that are a big draw to the Legacy format (combo and big spells).

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Show of hands of who did not see this coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Yea. Called this on The Salt Mine.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    Show of hands of who did not see this coming.
    I mean, the format's ultimately doomed. The question isn't if we're going the way of Vintage, but when, on what timeframe. So on that level none of this should surprise. Also figures that cutting support would start a downward trend, it's harder to keep people excited if they can't tune in or attend often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

I saw it coming when they announced modern will replace the dead extended as the fixed eternal format.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    I saw it coming when they announced modern will replace the dead extended as the fixed eternal format.
    WOTC even failed with that format, go figure.

The failure of this game will be due to WOTC catering to standard players and playstyles associated with that format (grey orgres vs grizzly bears herp derp). Having an eternal format where summer bloom, green sun's zenith and splinter twin are banned is a fucking joke.

^werd

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Sadly I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd meme Sigourney Weaver in Avatar when she says "See? They're pissing on us without even the courtesy of calling it rain."

This is entirely on WOTC. SCG and other large vendors wanted Wizards to get rid of the RL years ago, but instead Wizards doubled down on it.

I really cannot blame SCG here. Modern is more popular than Legacy because it's cheaper, not because it's better and Wizards has way more competitive events for Modern than Legacy. Anybody with a brain knows that if Legacy were just as inexpensive as Modern and received as much support as Modern did, Modern would be as unpopular as old Extended. SCG has to sell what their customers demand and that's what they're doing. Remember, Peter Hoefling said they were considering DROPPING the SCG Tour altogether. Legacy, and MTG for that matter in general, has always been too expensive for it's own damn good. A lot of people might only be able to afford one blue Legacy deck, but that means being able to afford maybe three or four Modern decks. Then, it becomes easier to build other decks cause you have multiple pieces for other decks and it becomes easier to justify buying more cards, especially since those cards are likely to be cheaper.

Jun 2015
    NYC

People like to put this all on the reserve list - and I mean the reserve list is stupid, don't get me wrong - but formats that allow you to not buy cards aren't good for Wizards and they aren't good for card vendors. It doesn't matter whether Underground Seas are $20 or $300, you buy them once and you don't buy them again. That's part of the appeal.

Modern is only good for Wizards/vendors in that it helps keep some value in cards that float out of Standard. With the exception of a card here and there, Legacy's not going to ever do that. The format itself is not good for selling cards and never will be, reserve list or no.

I think the argument for SCG keeping legacy alive should be based on the fact that it's a superior tournament format to Modern and that makes for good TV. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the SCG best-of clips are crazy legacy plays / decks.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    People like to put this all on the reserve list - and I mean the reserve list is stupid, don't get me wrong - but formats that allow you to not buy cards aren't good for Wizards and they aren't good for card vendors. It doesn't matter whether Underground Seas are $20 or $300, you buy them once and you don't buy them again. That's part of the appeal.

Modern is only good for Wizards/vendors in that it helps keep some value in cards that float out of Standard. With the exception of a card here and there, Legacy's not going to ever do that. The format itself is not good for selling cards and never will be, reserve list or no.

I think the argument for SCG keeping legacy alive should be based on the fact that it's a superior tournament format to Modern and that makes for good TV. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the SCG best-of clips are crazy legacy plays / decks.
    Um... disagree! Put a set together with duals in the expedition/invention slots and see how much sealed product gets sold.

EDIT: The more I think about this, the more it could be good for eternal formats in the long run. Hear me out. If Legacy tanks, all the people sitting on the RL cards will see their value plummet (eventually). At that point, WotC has some leverage - "We will reprint in a limited way in order to keep your value from falling any further."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    Um... disagree! Put a set together with duals in the expedition/invention slots and see how much sealed product gets sold.
    You have to consider that WotC works closely with certain vendors and companies, thus will not piss on them by devaluing their stock of cards out of the blue
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    You have to consider that WotC works closely with certain vendors and companies, thus will not piss on them by devaluing their stock of cards out of the blue
    Don't you think SSG cutting Legacy support will erode the player base and cause a devaluation anyway? Won't people say "Fuck it, the format is dying a slow death. I'm cashing out wile the cashing is good!" ???

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

The only people selling now are this who don't see the worth in keeping a deck when there's no opportunity to play. The people that don't play are fine with buying at reduced prices
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    The only people selling now are this who don't see the worth in keeping a deck when there's no opportunity to play. The people that don't play are fine with buying at reduced prices
    There's got to be a tipping point where people holding the cards realize there's no viable format anymore. At that point, what are they holding the cards for? Who would want them? It will be a race to the bottom as they dump cards trying not to be the one without a chair when the music stops completely.

If people were banking on playing legacy at an SCG event that was worth going to, they're already two years too late unless you're entranced by the idea of converting $40 and 12 hours of your time into 3,600 worth of fun bucks that you can spend on boxes that you can then sell to 10 people who play draft in order to finally make $800 to buy something useful. And that's assuming you win...

Sadly, I haven't had a reason to play in an SCG event since 2011 other than GP NJ. They abandoned Pittsburgh, and by the time I moved away they abandoned my format. At one point I ran a total of my purchases from SCG and it was an embarrassingly large sum-- these days I rarely pick anything up from them and it honestly disappoints me. SCG used to be a premium brand that I associated with the best in magic. Every Sunday I would tune in to watch Legacy coverage, I'd see a neat deck and pick up what I needed for it when I visited their site on a daily basis. Now SCG doesn't even show up in the top 50 sites that I visit. I wish things had played out differently...

The upside is that locally there are still tourneys to play and pick up games to enjoy, and the good folks at Tales of Adventure are doing their part in providing premier events for the Eternal community. In that way they're really punching above their weight considering how new they are to the large TO scene.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    There's got to be a tipping point where people holding the cards realize there's no viable format anymore. At that point, what are they holding the cards for? Who would want them? It will be a race to the bottom as they dump cards trying not to be the one without a chair when the music stops completely.
    I'll definitely be standing at the bottom to scoop up everything I can, if that were to happen. I'm happy to hold my chair, because I didn't buy all this crap to make or preserve value, I bought it because I wanted it and I want to use it to play the game (even if that ends up only being once a year, like Sanctioned Vintage is for me now).

Also, do we really need two threads for this?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information