Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more SCG Legacy Classics

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

No more SCG Legacy Classics

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: No more SCG Legacy Classics

Well, dang. I guess I should be happy that I'm closer to Europe and Japan these days?

The latest episode of "The Salt Mine" comes to mind...
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

I guess earlier in the day they did a legacy "sale". The balls of these guys.....fuckem.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Well, they made the format, and now they are letting it go. Same thing happened with Vintage, big tourneys, huge support, then nothing.

I'm gad they managed to make a killing along the way, good business.

I wonder when/if they decide to kill modern.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Whelp, that pretty much eliminates SCG events from my travel schedule.
    I'm surprisingly not all that upset about it, though, I've been fading away from Magic the last year or so anyways.
    More money/time for other hobbies and more reason to continue gradually piecing out.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Awful change but it's expected considering the phasing out of legacy that SCG was doing this year. Guess this means it's time for local stores to step up and start running medium sized events. I didn't start legacy before the SCG circuit was going, any of you older guys want to elaborate on how the legacy scene was before that time?

As a positive I guess this means that I won't have to play those miserable SCG grinders at all anymore.

Well, SCG just lost me as a customer. I hope they enjoy all those unsellable cards that are only used in legacy.

May 2014
    Brazil

Well, I guess it's over :(
    Kamus

Legacy Decks: Grixis Delver, Canadian Threshold, Patriot, UR Delver, Team America, Shardless BUG, Junk, Miracles, Jeskai Stoneblade, Esper Stoneblade, Deathblade, Bant, Grixis Control, ANT, Reanimator, Sneak & Show, Infect, Food Chain
    Modern Decks: Infect, UR Delver, Grixis Delver, Jeskai Geist, Jund, Abzan, Blue Moon, Grixis Control, Esper Control, RUG Control, BUG Control, Jeskai Nahiri

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm taking it as a sign that maybe it's time. To get into vintage
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I'm conflicted between wanting to "send a message" to attempt to get Legacy back or to say fuck it and play in smaller events. If nothing else, it would certainly be amusing to organize 100+ Legacy players to get in line to register for 8 mans all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserking Now View Post
    Well, SCG just lost me as a customer. I hope they enjoy all those unsellable cards that are only used in legacy.
    SCG lost most eternal buyers years ago when their website had cards priced 10-25% above going rates. The popularity of TCGPlayer further drove that nail in.

Interesting note: The buy price on the duals I looked at selling pre-EW have not changed since this announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I must have missed something. There was a time when it wasn't time to get into Vintage?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post
    Well, dang. I guess I should be happy that I'm closer to Europe and Japan these days?

The latest episode of "The Salt Mine" comes to mind...
    Yea, but I am not happy to be right sometimes.

This is likely going to impact how often I update the DTB section. This is a large amount of data to lose and I will likely have to move to a bi-monthly update schedule.

If we as Legacy players want more than we are being given, we will have to make what we want for ourselves. Like Vintage players do.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

However, we knew that if we were unable to accomplish the latter, there was a very real possibility we'd have to discontinue the entire SCG Tour® at the end of this year.
    SCG support doesn't keep Legacy alive; Legacy support keeps SCG alive. I imagine they'll go under in a few years, especially with their recent decisions.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Living in Europe, SCG only meant coverage. Thankfully there are still tournaments in my area (small and midsized, with the occasional bigger one). I believe it will get harder though, as the pool of players won't grow that much (I think). Most importantly: I'm blessed with friends who are also dedicated into Legacy, so there will always be a casual friday-night, or something similar.

And then there is Vintage, because if they are calling me old I want to be really old.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Where's the people who shit on me when I said last year (or was it 2014? can't remember) that they'd slowly reduce events to one or two per year?

Tell me again how Legacy is a healthy and sustainable format in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Awful change but it's expected considering the phasing out of legacy that SCG was doing this year. Guess this means it's time for local stores to step up and start running medium sized events. I didn't start legacy before the SCG circuit was going, any of you older guys want to elaborate on how the legacy scene was before that time?

As a positive I guess this means that I won't have to play those miserable SCG grinders at all anymore.
    Sure. Legacy grew from the community. SCG jumped on something that was really popular at local-store level and brought it nationwide.

But it won't go back to that, ever. Know why? Because in 2008, Bayous were like $17. They're now $170. New players will not, and cannot, drop that kind of cash.

It's over. It'll be relegated to proxy tournaments and people who have been playing since the last century. See Vintage.

Where is our friend Ben B to pat us on the back now...
    Last edited by Mr Miagi; 11-01-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

There were still people traveling for Legacy Classics?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Living in GA If I had the time I would travel within 3-5 hours to hit one up. I mean you can go Saturday morning, hang out, play the Saturday challenge, drink at a local bar with friends, wake up, play the classic them go home after. It's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

It's a superior format anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Living in GA If I had the time I would travel within 3-5 hours to hit one up. I mean you can go Saturday morning, hang out, play the Saturday challenge, drink at a local bar with friends, wake up, play the classic them go home after. It's fun.
    Hmm, interesting. I mean, for a variety of reasons I was definitely out of even bothering to try getting all the way to the seldom ones in our traveling range, so I was genuinely unsure if people really were setting out just for a Classic.

I'd hate to say I-told-you-so, but the writing was on the wall even last year. Yet, with all the doom-and-gloom that people posted last year, Legacy still isn't dead. It's not dying now.

And it won't be dead next year when SCG probably completely drops Legacy all-together. Or maybe that is the 2018 announcement. Not that it matters.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I must have missed something. There was a time when it wasn't time to get into Vintage?
    Quote Originally Posted by socialite View Post
    It's a superior format anyway.
    This is a dilemma for me. I prefer Legacy to Vintage by a healthy margin, but if Legacy support is waning and my friends are buying into Vintage, maybe that's a road I should go down . . .

Or I'll just buy fake Power. Yeah, let's go with that.

Thread Information