Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No more SCG Legacy Classics

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: No more SCG Legacy Classics

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    There were still people traveling for Legacy Classics?
    I was driving 4-5 hours each way to Dallas to play up until the most recent one. I stopped because I was paying for a night in a hotel plus entry to play in a tournament where half my pairings were against people from my LGS. A friend who rode with me agreed when we both got our first lost in round 3 that it was better to drop and drive home now than to play out the rest of the event. We went and got dinner and the rest of our local crowd got home at 11 PM or later on a Sunday.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Because in 2008, Bayous were like $17. They're now $170. New players will not, and cannot, drop that kind of cash.
    New players shouldn't be dropping that kind of cash. They're not the target demographic of Legacy so their inability to buy into the format is a non-factor.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    This is a dilemma for me. I prefer Legacy to Vintage by a healthy margin, but if Legacy support is waning and my friends are buying into Vintage, maybe that's a road I should go down . . .

Or I'll just buy fake Power. Yeah, let's go with that.
    Or just use proxies? Where are you planning to play Sanctioned Vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I was driving 4-5 hours each way to Dallas to play up until the most recent one. I stopped because I was paying for a night in a hotel plus entry to play in a tournament where half my pairings were against people from my LGS. A friend who rode with me agreed when we both got our first lost in round 3 that it was better to drop and drive home now than to play out the rest of the event. We went and got dinner and the rest of our local crowd got home at 11 PM or later on a Sunday.
    Yeah, it's just my bias. With so many kids at home, the trips all the way to Dallas were just not really feasible for me. I guess I over generalized. I have to imagine though that the situation isn't all that uncommon though. We, as a Legacy (and Vintage) player-base are getting older to the point where a lot of us are married/with kids or jobs that don't allow lots of time off, so the "issue" will probably grow as time goes on.

It'd be great if I had a bit more time and could leverage some people to get events running in Lake Charles so we could meet up with you guys. Maybe in a near future once I don't have a new-born and things settle down a bit. I always say that, but this time it actually might happen (our last baby is our last baby).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Or just use proxies? Where are you planning to play Sanctioned Vintage?
    Not to get too far off topic, but I meant buying fakes for unsanctioned. They're just a much prettier way to play than sharpied basics. I have an unpowered Vintage deck for sanctioned, if/when those events arise and if/when I'm not able to borrow Dredge from someone.

But who knows, maybe the sky isn't falling and I'll be able to keep playing as much Legacy as ever.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

(our last baby is our last baby).
    I bet you're all done building MtG decks too, right?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The good thing about it? One less site/stream trying to force the shitty wedge names. Fuck Sultai anything.

Where are sanctioned vintage events anyway? Last I knew it was only the big one by wotc?

I saw some low quality counterfeits and some high quality counterfeits and there is a huge difference but the hq ones are almost indistinguishable.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Not to get too far off topic, but I meant buying fakes for unsanctioned. They're just a much prettier way to play than sharpied basics. I have an unpowered Vintage deck for sanctioned, if/when those events arise and if/when I'm not able to borrow Dredge from someone.

But who knows, maybe the sky isn't falling and I'll be able to keep playing as much Legacy as ever.
    I used to paint my proxies, but to each their own.

I am pretty sure you'll be able to play just as many Legacy events going forward, provided a large number weren't SCG Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I bet you're all done building MtG decks too, right?
    It doesn't take 9 months and a good deal of physical toll to make a Magic deck though, We're not getting any younger here.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Where are sanctioned vintage events anyway? Last I knew it was only the big one by wotc?
    There's a handful of big events still run regularly. In fact, there may be more large-scale Vintage events than Legacy events in the US now (though each format has a different definition of "large-scale") Off the top of my head (and then Googled for attendance)

• Eternal Weekend - 350+ (Couldn't find an exact number)
    • Eternal Extravaganza - 114* (Large event but not actually sanctioned)
    • NYSE Open - 149+ (Last number I could find is that 149 had pre-reg'd)
    • Waterburry/TMD Open - 126

There's a handful of stores running sanctioned vintage once per month or so. There's many more stores running proxy vintage.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    There's a handful of big events still run regularly. In fact, there may be more large-scale Vintage events than Legacy events in the US now (though each format has a different definition of "large-scale") Off the top of my head (and then Googled for attendance)

• Eternal Weekend - 350+ (Couldn't find an exact number)
    • Eternal Extravaganza - 114* (Large event but not actually sanctioned)
    • NYSE Open - 149+ (Last number I could find is that 149 had pre-reg'd)
    • Waterburry/TMD Open - 126

There's a handful of stores running sanctioned vintage once per month or so. There's many more stores running proxy vintage.
    Not to contradict you, but for clarity the only event on that list that is sanctioned is Eternal Weekend.

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

You know what really pisses me off? These fuckers are hosting GP Louisville in January.

I want to boycott them, but my love for the format is greater than my anger and disgust at these fuckers. I will be going, but only to play the best format, support Legacy and support the great community of Legacy players, not these fuckers. Besides this, I sure as hell won't be watching or going to anymore SCG events. I spent a lot of money on Legacy staples over the past six years with them, but it is clear they no longer want my business. Very well, I'll oblige.

Part of me wishes we could send a message. Part of me wishes that the Baltimore Open turns out to be a complete bust. Sadly, that would reflect poorly on the format and I don't want that. All I want is for someone else to take over the reins.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The good thing about it? One less site/stream trying to force the shitty wedge names. Fuck Sultai anything.
    The only name I was okay with was "Mardu" because "Dega" just sounded dumb. But BUG is BUG, UWR is either blue-white-red or America, RUG is RUG, and BGW is Junk.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Hmm, interesting. I mean, for a variety of reasons I was definitely out of even bothering to try getting all the way to the seldom ones in our traveling range, so I was genuinely unsure if people really were setting out just for a Classic.

I'd hate to say I-told-you-so, but the writing was on the wall even last year. Yet, with all the doom-and-gloom that people posted last year, Legacy still isn't dead. It's not dying now.

And it won't be dead next year when SCG probably completely drops Legacy all-together. Or maybe that is the 2018 announcement. Not that it matters.
    Traveling to nearby events applied to me if I knew people that would be going. Less than 5 hours generally meant that there would be at least a couple hotel splits I could take an interest in, hanging out/side events on one day and a Legacy classic on the other.

That being said, I have never really contributed to SCG's sales as a Legacy player. Aside from entrance fees I have rarely interacted with them at an event and only rarely buy MP/HP and on sale foreign stuff off their site.

EDIT: Sean, you're a legend.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

My biggest take away from this so far, and it seems to be the majority opinion, is that SCG could save themselves a whole bunch of I'll will by continuing the Classics, and just cutting prize support. I know it looks bad. Like they're trying to get over on Legacy players. But aside from some impotent grumbling, no one stopped playing when they started that pathetic prize wall. I've got credit from them I can't think of anything to use for. And I think most Legacy players care infinitely more about playing their format competitively and publicly than they ever will about monetary support. We more or less either have what we need, or can afford to buy it. And have no problem paying SCG prices for their quality and convenience in support of their sponsorship. Just give us the staff and venue to do so. I'd bet most would allow even a smaller prize pool in exchange for more Legacy coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Some corrections needed in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by ramanujan View Post
    Well, they made the format, and now they are letting it go.
    Legacy was around and was popular before SCG added it to the traveling tournament series. Anyone can go back in the archives here to confirm. SCG significantly boosted the format's profile.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    SCG support doesn't keep Legacy alive; Legacy support keeps SCG alive. I imagine they'll go under in a few years, especially with their recent decisions.
    SCG has been around since long before Legacy existed. I can't see the future, but I don't foresee any business problems for them. If something isn't profitable, they'll try something else. You can dislike SCG's decisions, but the business has long endured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Tell me again how Legacy is a healthy and sustainable format in North America.
    Legacy is as healthy as it was last year, and it's as healthy as it was in 2007. People who want to play can play. If nothing is going on in your area, work together to build a scene and grow it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Where is our friend Ben B to pat us on the back now...
    I don't think Ben is involved in this decision, so it's not fair to blame him. Let's be polite.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    New players shouldn't be dropping that kind of cash. They're not the target demographic of Legacy so their inability to buy into the format is a non-factor.
    Speak for yourself. There are many active Sourcers that started playing Legacy when they were in high school or freshmen in college.

People that simply wouldn't be able to with current prices.

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Well, this was unexpected.

https://www.facebook.com/talesofadve...77292539105117

Very cool for ToA to be doing this! I know I will definitely be trying to get my LGS involved. I personally have not made it out to any Eternal Extravaganza but have heard great things and look forward to going next year!

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Fortune View Post
    Well, this was unexpected.

https://www.facebook.com/talesofadve...77292539105117

Very cool for ToA to be doing this! I know I will definitely be trying to get my LGS involved. I personally have not made it out to any Eternal Extravaganza but have heard great things and look forward to going next year!
    +1 ToA. I've not yet made it to EE either but this is exactly what the community needs to do to keep this great format thriving.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Was told to post this here. Legacy in Australia has blossomed over the last 12 months and has become a weekly thing with 20+ players. Not bad for a country with a population of 23 odd million, in a country almost the size of America.

We've started recording matches and doing commentary, we have the podcast going and we'll be trying to organise larger tournaments. Through doing free legal work for the local Greek churches, I will be able to rent halls/spaces for almost nothing and be looking to host larger Legacy tournaments in Melbourne every six months and hopefully around Australia. Because I'm not a magic store I can have 75 proxies if I want and wotc can't do shit about it.

I don't give a fuck about what Cedric Phillips has to say or what any wanky beancounter has to say. Legacy didn't make it this far propped up against the cock of SCG, it made it because of the players.

Suck my dick SCG, I don't give a fuck. Legacy lives on.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Thread Information