Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Legacy Guide V5

Re: Budget Legacy Guide V5

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    Great list. I'd like to suggest to add Affinity. It could be built on a budget as well.
    Working on it! :)

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Hi, First of all thank you so much for your outstanding work. I'm pretty new to legacy and people like you make me happy that I got into it, It's such a great community!

I'm just wondering if anyone have an idea about a similar list but for MTGO. I think that the fact that prices are a lot different on MTGO would allow people to try out new strategies online that they could not afford in the meatworld (Bayou being like 7.5tix) and other cards beeing severly overpriced (150 tix for the playset of unmasks ? 10 tix for a Daze???) .

I've picked up BR rea and I'm slowly tunrning it into tin finns (the deck that made me want to play legacy) in the paper world, but since I can't play as often as I'd like, I'd be interessted in a cheapo MTGO deck to play around and sadly, some of the budget option you've created dont translate well in legacy.

Anyway thanks a lot for your time and effort, It's incredibly helful !
    Last edited by Warzim; 03-13-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warzim View Post
    Hi, First of all thank you so much four your outstanding work. I'm pretty new to legacy and people like you make me happy that I got into it, It's such a great community!

I'm just wondering if anyone have an idea about a similar list but for MTGO. I think that the fact that prices are a lot different on MTGO would allow people to try out new strategies online that they could not afford in the meatworld (Bayou being like 7.5tix) and other cards beeing severly overpriced (150 tix for the playset of unmasks ? 10 tix for a Daze???) .

I've picked up BR rea and I'm slowly tunrning it into tin finns (the deck that made me want to play legacy) in the paper world, but since I can't play as often as I'd like, I'd be interessted in a cheapo MTGO deck to play around and sadly, some of the budget option you've created dont translate well in legacy.

Anyway thanks a lot for your time and effort, It's incredibly helpful !
    Hey Warzim! I do not play MTGO, so I'm not really a good person to ask as far online prices and decks go. I don't really know the online meta, so I don't know what would perform well there. I can tell you, though, that all of the decks I present are on MTGgoldfish, which has an option to view the decks based on MTGO prices as well as paper. So, if a deck looks fun to you, click the tab that lets you see its price online, and see if you can afford it!

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Hi, First of all thank you so much four your outstanding work. I'm pretty new to legacy and people like you make me happy that I got into it, It's such a great community!

Anyway thanks a lot for your time and effort, It's incredibly helful !
    What is your budget? If you want to go the tin fins route, be warned that goryos vengeance is quite expensive.

Here is what I would do:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/571191#online

Build that list, but put duress for unmask. Also, you can sub extirpate for surgical. That brings the price down quite a bit. Mono black or RBx reanimator would be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    Hey Warzim! I do not play MTGO, so I'm not really a good person to ask as far online prices and decks go. I don't really know the online meta, so I don't know what would perform well there. I can tell you, though, that all of the decks I present are on MTGgoldfish, which has an option to view the decks based on MTGO prices as well as paper. So, if a deck looks fun to you, click the tab that lets you see its price online, and see if you can afford it!
    Yeah, I saw that it's really helpfull !

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    What is your budget? If you want to go the tin fins route, be warned that goryos vengeance is quite expensive.

Here is what I would do:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/571191#online

Build that list, but put duress for unmask. Also, you can sub extirpate for surgical. That brings the price down quite a bit. Mono black or RBx reanimator would be cheaper.

Why not good idea thanks! But I'm not necessarily looking to build Tin fins on mtgo since i'm building it in the paper world.

I'm looking for a "not too expensive" competitive to enjoy some leagues.
    I saw manalessdredge and some iteration of Belcher but I find these decks too easily shut down by silverbullets.

I also saw some nic fit variants but is it really competitive?
    I dont have enough experience in legacy and especially on MTGO to make meta calls.

My budget is around 200/300 tix.

Thanks for the help !

Yeah, I saw that it's really helpfull !

Why not good idea thanks! But I'm not necessarily looking to build Tin fins on mtgo since i'm building it in the paper world.

I'm looking for a "not too expensive" competitive to enjoy some leagues.
    I saw manalessdredge and some iteration of Belcher but I find these decks too easily shut down by silverbullets.

I also saw some nic fit variants but is it really competitive?
    I dont have enough experience in legacy and especially on MTGO to make meta calls.

My budget is around 200/300 tix.

Thanks for the help !
    I might be biased, because I play the deck as my main, but the Turbo Depths list in the article is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) list in the whole guide. It's less than 200 tix online, too. the deck got 1st place at Eternal weekend this year, and again, I play it whenever I plan on winning a tournament. It's very strong.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    I might be biased, because I play the deck as my main, but the Turbo Depths list in the article is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) list in the whole guide. It's less than 200 tix online, too. the deck got 1st place at Eternal weekend this year, and again, I play it whenever I plan on winning a tournament. It's very strong.
    Nice thanks a lot !

And what would be the first upgrade you'd do as someone who knows the deck well?

Nice thanks a lot !

And what would be the first upgrade you'd do as someone who knows the deck well?
    The first upgrade would be at least one bayou, then fetches, then finish the land base. Honestly that's pretty much the only major difference from stock lists. You can't run the fetches without at least one dual land, though. You could replace 2 Duress and 2 IoK with 4 Thoughtseize, too, but honestly I think the lands are more important.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Wanted to contribute a budget list as well...

4 Death’s Shadow
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Flesh Reaver
    4 Street Wraith

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Duress
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    3 Reanimate
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Dismember
    2 Snuff Out

16 Swamp
    3 Wasteland

Any suggestions on how to improve this budget list?

Thank you for the awesome guide.

I do wish the guide gave some guidance as to the viability of the different lists. There are a lot of tier 3/4 decks on the list that will get completely slaughtered (like Black Weenies and a whole ton of others) which might discourage a new player starting out in legacy after he invested the time to build those decks.

I feel like the below budgetable decks are a on a higher level of viability than the rest, and they should be categoried as the recommended choices...

Burn/Sligh

Eldrazi

Affinity

Mono Green Elves without Gaea's Cradle

BG Nic Fit Pod

Phasenought

Storm

Dredge

Depths

Dreamhalls and some other combo decks

Goblins/Merfolk

Death and Taxes if your budget is fairly high

Dragon Stompy variant if the budget is fairly high

OmniTell if your budget is fairly high

Mono Blue Delver

Mono Black Reanimator

Mono Green Infect

Mono Green Enchantress

Dredge

Maybe a couple of the other decks that I'm not familar with, but most of the decks on that list are a leap below these in terms of viability.

This way, a player brand new to legacy in nudged to invest in a budget deck that might get them decent results instead of investing in something like Black Weenie that wouldn't even hold it's own in Modern.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Dredge
    4 LEDs are a budget choice..?

I would've gone with Manaless Dredge, which is lethal enough in its own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    4 LEDs are a budget choice..?

I would've gone with Manaless Dredge, which is lethal enough in its own right.
    The OP's link has a viable dredge list. That's what I'm referring to.

Several of the decks in the OP's link are absolutely awful and have absolutely no shot of winning, like Black Weenie, Aura Gnarly etc.

I narrowed down the stuff in the OP to the decks that are actually decent in legacy. Those should be listed at a higher tier and recommended as starting points for newbies.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Most are still rather dreadful. And BG Pod Fit should just be BG regular Nic Fit. Pod is just too slow and durdly to be anywhere near competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Most are still rather dreadful. And BG Pod Fit should just be BG regular Nic Fit. Pod is just too slow and durdly to be anywhere near competitive.
    Yes, this "guide" is pretty much worthless since it has so much complete garbage on it (Black Knight hasn't been a legacy viable card for the past 15 years), and a bunch of actually viable strategies posted in this thread still aren't included in the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    This rocks - nice work. Are you spreading the word on Reddit, etc? Those sites are polluted with people asking how to play Legacy for under $300.
    Have the same thoughts!!

Thank you for the awesome guide.

I do wish the guide gave some guidance as to the viability of the different lists. There are a lot of tier 3/4 decks on the list that will get completely slaughtered (like Black Weenies and a whole ton of others) which might discourage a new player starting out in legacy after he invested the time to build those decks.

I feel like the below budgetable decks are a on a higher level of viability than the rest, and they should be categoried as the recommended choices...

Burn/Sligh

Eldrazi

Affinity

Mono Green Elves without Gaea's Cradle

BG Nic Fit Pod

Phasenought

Storm

Dredge

Depths

Dreamhalls and some other combo decks

Goblins/Merfolk

Death and Taxes if your budget is fairly high

Dragon Stompy variant if the budget is fairly high

OmniTell if your budget is fairly high

Mono Blue Delver

Mono Black Reanimator

Mono Green Infect

Mono Green Enchantress

Dredge

Maybe a couple of the other decks that I'm not familar with, but most of the decks on that list are a leap below these in terms of viability.

This way, a player brand new to legacy in nudged to invest in a budget deck that might get them decent results instead of investing in something like Black Weenie that wouldn't even hold it's own in Modern.
    I would also add The Gate to this list

Is it possible to build Curse Stompy on a budget? Didgerdoo Minotaur Tribal (with Seething Song and Blood Moon).

Pretty much a bunch of Stompy decks could be built on a budget utilizing cards like Crystal Vein, Sandstone Needle, Cloudpost, Lake of the Dead, Dark Ritual, Seething Song etc instead of City of Traitors.

I would also add The Gate to this list

Is it possible to build Curse Stompy on a budget? Didgerdoo Minotaur Tribal (with Seething Song and Blood Moon).

Pretty much a bunch of Stompy decks could be built on a budget utilizing cards like Crystal Vein, Sandstone Needle, Cloudpost, Lake of the Dead, Dark Ritual, Seething Song etc instead of City of Traitors.
    Yah the city of traitors is an issue, almost half the cost of the deck. Crystal vein/gemstone caverns/peat bog could do an ok job of replacing them.

Chalice/karn/lattice/chrome mox are moderately expensive but unfortunately not really replaceable.

The only unique $$ card in curses is Helm; it is RL but not TOO expensive (40$ each). You could cut the MD helms for Ill gotten gains or murderous rider relatively easily but you at least want 1 for karn.

Really so long. Great job. My congratulations!!!

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Great ideas here everyone. How about a budget Sneak Attack deck? Cut City of Traitors and Chalice and this becomes pretty budget and still playable, right?
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm putting together a couple of Dredge lists, both Manaless and LEDless, to see if they can do some powerful things. LED is obviously insane but well out of my price range. I think some newer cards really push this budget archetype into better territory, especially Once Upon a Time, Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis, Force of Vigor, and Thassa's Oracle + Balustrade Spy for Manaless. All of those cards are super affordable, the most expensive being Oracle at around $12 USD currently (and you only need 1.) I put together a Manaless list for about $75 USD because I had spare chaff in my collection.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information