Thread: Eternal Weekend Last Minute Mega Trial with Junk Maverick

Eternal Weekend Last Minute Mega Trial with Junk Maverick

Statistical Tournament Data:
    Players – 33
    Rounds – 6
    On the way up to the convention center, I was discussing with my friend how I really liked Bob and that Maverick should just take parts of Aggro Loam, and just see what happens. Well I top 8 with him so he’s staying in my deck.

3 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Mother of Rune
    1 Noble Hierach (Most likely going to be a Bird of paradise)
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Tharben
    3 Dark Confidant
    2 Qasli Pridemage
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scrub Ranger (Wins a lot of games)
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reqliury
    1 Thrun, The Last Troll

4 Green Sun Zenith
    4 Sword to Plowshares
    1 Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan LIbrary

4 Wastelands
    4 Windswepth Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Caveron of Souls
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Abor

SB:
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Choke
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Rec Sage
    1 Maelstrom Pluse
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

Round 1 – Tin Fins: 1-2 (Record 0-1)
    Game one I assumed that I was facing UB reanimator, which is already unfair to begin with. My opponent proceeds to unhallowed grave, targeting their grisledaddy, which I responded with DRS activation. Then I closed the game with a Thalia and Scooze beats. In game two I thoughtseize their hand and saw a dark ritual, brainstorm, land. I didn’t think I was playing Tin Fins until he storm off next turn and I lost. Game 3 I had karakas and swords in hand, but I didn’t think they would have the turn 1 kill after mulling down to 5. Turns out I was wrong.

Round 1 Analysis:
    When I thoughtseize my opponent, I knew it should been a belling ringing to alert me that they are playing Tin Fins when I saw dark ritual. In game three I inserted in Canonist and took out Pridemages since they are not going to be useful. If I went Turn one Karakas go, they wouldn’t have combed off. This is my first time playing against the deck, so for next time I’m better prepared.
    Round 2 – Burn: 2-0 (Record 1-1)
    I don’t remember much in this matchup, so I can’t really provide enough analysis for this match. What I do remember was that I got down Thalia equipped with Sophie and beats down for Game 1. And in game two I had to play around a Fireblast because I was at lethal, and if they had another copy then I was dead. But thankfully, it was a smash to smithereens.

Round 3 – Miracles: 2-1 (Record 2-1)
    They were able to get countertop in play, which really hosed me over but I was able to get enough pressure to get them down to 3 LP. However I was beaten by a wave of monks because my opponent had a second one in the hand.
    Game 2 I was able to resolve a T5 Choke against them, after wear/tear my Sylvan Library. They only had one plains at the time and they were land screwed. During that time I was able to get 4 Bob triggers, refueling my hand to 7 cards, before they council judgement the choke. I slammed Sophie and proceeded to win the game.

Game 3 was a grind fest. They had countertop in play, but no real way to pressure me. I Green Sun for Thrun (#GSZ4Thrun), resolved, slammed Thrun on the field. During my opponent end step, I activated SFM and put on Light and Shadow. I want to say first hand that Thrun + L&S + a Pridemage in the GY + Cavern on Wizard = Miracle Slayer. I killed my opponent with an exalted Thrun.

Round 3 Analysis:
    I was very satisfied with the new cards that I played. Bob was an all-star in all three games that I played him. Also, getting rid of JTMS with Maelstrom Pulse is killer. I want to practice more game with these new cards, but for now they are positive changes.

Round 4 - Shardless BUG: 2-0 (Record 3-1)
    Game one they T2 Hymm me, discarding both Thrun and GSZ, boo. I was able to remove LOTV before she was about to ultimate with Knight. Finished the game with Double Knight beatdown.

Game 2 my opponent mullied down to 5, keeping a one lander. I proceeded to drop T2 Bob, and with all bob triggers I reveal lands, and 3 mana+ cards for my draws. I revealed my hand to my opponent, declaring what I will be casting for the next three turns, and they conceded. No real analysis here.

Round 5 – Grixis Delver: 2-0 (Record 4-1)

Both games were a grind fest and also won with a over powered Scooze (By that I mean it was a 8/8 at the end of game one, and a 14/14 at the end of game 2 that went to turns and I won on my last extra turn). I was able to beat 7 YP tokens in game 2 by untapping ooze with a bayou that I keep returning to my hand thanks to Scrub Ranger. My opponent top deck the bolt they needed, but if they decided to bolt me I would have bin my arbor and eat it in response to the spell. I remember they cliqued during my draw step, which I let the spell resolve and responded to the trigger by casting zealous persecution (the card that I drew for the turn). No real analysis.

Round 6 – Dragon Stompy : ID

Hooray I locked to top 8 by taking 5th place.

TOP 8: Quarterfinals – Grixis Delver.

I’m playing against a really strong opponent, so I felt a little pressure, and thus effect my opening hand decisions. Game one I died from double flipped delvers.
    Game two I played turn one safekeeper. My opponent turn one Grim Lavamancer, and that’s how I died in the second game. The fact that they were able to use their graveyard to remove my creatures was just brutal. I was also stuck on back mana for the longest time because I had bob in hand and I couldn’t cast it.

Summary:
    I went 4-1-1. I felt that the quarterfinal I could have aggressive mull down to a DRS or a Knight and kept it. But I don’t know. I am very happy with both Bob and Thrun since they respectively won against my toughest match-ups. I didn’t feel that I would have games if I was running Thalia 2.0 and an DRS as oppose to the 3 BOBs.

Re: Eternal Weekend Last Minute Mega Trial with Junk Maverick

First interesting deck (and I just random Bob.decks).

Though, I want to say something regarding this:

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    Round 1 – Tin Fins: 1-2 (Record 0-1)
    Game one I assumed that I was facing UB reanimator, which is already unfair to begin with. My opponent proceeds to unhallowed grave, targeting their grisledaddy, which I responded with DRS activation. Then I closed the game with a Thalia and Scooze beats. In game two I thoughtseize their hand and saw a dark ritual, brainstorm, land. I didn’t think I was playing Tin Fins until he storm off next turn and I lost. Game 3 I had karakas and swords in hand, but I didn’t think they would have the turn 1 kill after mulling down to 5. Turns out I was wrong.

Round 1 Analysis:
    When I thoughtseize my opponent, I knew it should been a belling ringing to alert me that they are playing Tin Fins when I saw dark ritual. In game three I inserted in Canonist and took out Pridemages since they are not going to be useful. If I went Turn one Karakas go, they wouldn’t have combed off. This is my first time playing against the deck, so for next time I’m better prepared.
    Depending on the version, a turn one Karakas does close to nothing, especially when they can draw 14 cards and just replay the Griselbrand (or do it on Turn 2 or in your EOT). Even IF you would have played it turn 1 you can expect to lose this game except he whiffs completely and draws nothing at all.

Hence, going for pressure first, when the interaction you have available is not sufficient (aka only the Karakas) is always the right call BUT when you expect a fast Emmi swing, which is pretty much useless on Turn 1 (nothing to annihilate).

Greetings,
    Kathal

Re: Eternal Weekend Last Minute Mega Trial with Junk Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Kathal View Post
    First interesting deck (and I just random Bob.decks).

Though, I want to say something regarding this:

Depending on the version, a turn one Karakas does close to nothing, especially when they can draw 14 cards and just replay the Griselbrand (or do it on Turn 2 or in your EOT). Even IF you would have played it turn 1 you can expect to lose this game except he whiffs completely and draws nothing at all.

Hence, going for pressure first, when the interaction you have available is not sufficient (aka only the Karakas) is always the right call BUT when you expect a fast Emmi swing, which is pretty much useless on Turn 1 (nothing to annihilate).

Greetings,
    Kathal
    Thanks for the advice. Regardless, its a storm variant and I couldn't mulligan a hand that had karakas in it. So its kinda like taking a gamble.

Thread Information