Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Deck] Miracle of Science - Uwx OmniTell Control

Re: [Deck] Miracle of Science - Uwx OmniTell Control

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Maybe this has been hashed out somewhere in the Mono-Blue Omni thread, but is there any argument for replacing Eladamri's Call with Congregation at Dawn to let you find a Flusterstorm with Firemind's Foresight instead of a Brainstorm?

EDIT: I guess maybe you would still get Brainstorm anyway, since the most likely scenario where it matters is defending against Surgical Extraction? But in this case you get to save the Brainstorm to switch plans rather than use it up setting up plan A.
    One reason might be so that you can go Wish->Call->Emrakul->Cast Emrakul which lets you cleanly beat Gaddock Teeg without having any additional cantrips available. (You put Emrakul directly into your hand without casting Firemind's Foresight. If you had e.g. Ponder in your hand you could just Wish->Congregation->Ponder->Emrakul but this might not always be an option. There are other hatebears e.g. Spirit of the Labyrinth or Leovold that stop you drawing extra cards or you might just not have an additional cantrip in your hand).

Similarly this sequence only costs you 2 mana with a Thalia in play (1 extra for Wish and 1 extra for E-Call), compared to Wish->Congregation->Cantrip-> Emrakul which costs 3 extra mana (or setting up the full Ants kill which gets taxed even more).

I'm just guessing because I haven't played an Omniscience deck before, there might be more pertinent reasons.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

kombatkiwi: Hatebears are a good reason! I guess another thing is that if you cast Firemind's Foresight and they counter it, then it's a little better to have Call instead of Congregation because your next Wish will be better.

Weapon X: What's your reasoning on the Mystic Gate? Without Swords to Plowshares in the maindeck I'm having trouble coming up with enough scenarios where it's better than a fetchland.

All: Any thoughts on how to react to the rise of BUG strategies? My initial thought was to try to squeeze in a third Predict, but I'm coming around on the idea of just playing two or three Impulses over Predict, since it doesn't get shut down by Leovold and improves the "just jam" plan. Is there an argument for finding space for Blood Moons in the sideboard?
    Last edited by thefringthing; 03-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Finally upgraded to some proper Show and Tells. Just Strands left to fix.
    Last edited by thefringthing; 04-10-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Our meta just tends to be heavy blue. I did it as a hedge against a random choke.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

May 2013
    Des Moines, IA

Less than superb 2-2 last night at FNM but felt like I lost to variance as opposed to the deck losing.

R1: Josh on Burn
    G1 - Established the early CB but he was able to stick an Eidolon that turn while I was tapped and apparently no amount of top, fetch, top was finding us a damn thing (terminus, CW for Disenchant or the combo).
    G2 - He kind of does his burn thing until we're down to single digits but showing in a plate of spaghetti and putting him to 3 with no board is enough.
    G3 - The game went a whole 3 turns before we show him some science. He extends the hand before we can finishing covering him in ants.

R2: Shafer on SneakFit
    G1 - Top-go and he starts with Therapy on Force (missing) and seeing a typical looking Miracles hand. We drop CB and then we get the first real 'wtf' of the night. GSZ for 2 meets a cold flip CW...laughter ensues from the table over since our buddy knows what we're playing. A few turns later we Predict a top away to draw the Omni and Emrakul to go with the SnT in hand.
    G2 - We're a bit slow out of the gate and he's basically able to establish a bit of a grinding engine while we top endlessly for shuffle effects and pieces. He's able to stick an EWit, Sneak and PrimeTime loop with Volrath's Stronghold and we're unable to find a firm answer in time. I scoop up with a little under 10min left.
    G3 - Uneventful finale for him. We T3 SnT an Omni (he puts in Sneak with two available but he tells us later no threats in hand) but with access to double CW in hand we're covered.

R3: Calvin on UR Delver
    G1 - His opening Goblin Guide gives us some lands (free filtering with an active top) but we end up a turn too slow despite trying to hold off with CB.
    G2 - We're 3-4 turns in and a Guide shows us an EE (against his board of two Guides and two lands) while we have SnT + Emmy in hand (plus FoW, Nahiri) at 11 life. I decide to go for the gusto and put in the Emrakul instead of EE'ing. Turns out neither play mattered since he had trip bolt effects with Daze backup. Wasn't winning anyway...sigh.

R4: Andrew on Sneak & Show
    G1 - Resolve an early CB and we're able to float a SnT on top for a bit. At some point he goes all-in on a Sneak (had two in hand after casting I believe with no mana up & land played) which I intentionally throw a force at instead of saving for my own turn to see where his hand is at. He forces back so we safely untap and SnT in Omni against his Emrakul. We cast our own tentacle monster and get use out of the text on the card.
    G2 - We spend the first couple of turns digging, blast one of his SnT attempts but succumb to a sneaky Emrakul.
    G3 - We take some poop soup mulls to 5 (both no landers) and he just has the nuts of a T2 SnT for sneak with petals, monsters and protection.

Other decks for the night: 3 DnT, 2 BR Reanimator, Stoneblade, BUG Delver, Imperial Painter, Storm, and Czech Pile.

Definitely found the deck fun and interesting to play. Besides the fun of flipping SnT to counter 3s and randomly Wishing for answers; it forced opponents/allowed me to pivot the game out of nowhere.

So. Where do we go from here? I was really looking forward to running this deck. :(

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by mistervader View Post
    So. Where do we go from here? I was really looking forward to running this deck. :(
    Another thread.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

The deck was neat on paper. Gameplay I found I'd rather play miracles as it was just better at doing what this deck tries to do with fewer dead cards.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Jul 2011
    Singapore, Singapore City

I haven't really posted here but I really enjoyed this deck a lot. More than straight up miracles actually. Its just a shame this died just as I managed to get counterbalances and other parts in german. Phanzomutant please come up with something else :) I'll be waiting!

I had just bought Omniscience and SnTs so I could run this deck.

Oh well, looks like I might end up running Omnitell instead. :(

Personnaly i'm still brewing on this, dunno if other people are in the same case?
    Replaced the countertop package with some spell pierce/swords/nahiri (as i wasnt playing her before).
    And now trying also a one of Unexpectedly Absent (two may be a bit hard for the manabase but who knows) to go with the predicts (that im still testing without top and it's viable imo).
    The point is to keep focusing on playing the well-known combo but with more control than classical S&T lists.

Jan 2017
    TN

Maybe I'm bumping a dead thread, but I've been tinkering with this list as of late.
    After playing around with UB Omni for a bit (which I do still enjoy), I've decided I wanted something a little more controlling, which eventually led me here.

Instant (18)
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Cunning Wish
    1x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    2x Predict
    1x Spell Pierce
    1x Split Decision
    2x Swords to Plowshares

Enchantment (6)
    2x Counterbalance
    4x Omniscience

Land (19)
    4x Flooded Strand
    7x Island
    2x Plains
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Tundra

Sorcery (12)
    4x Ponder
    2x Preordain
    4x Show and Tell
    2x Terminus

Creature (5)
    2x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3x Snapcaster Mage

Sideboard (15)
    1x Back to Basics
    2x Disenchant
    1x Eladamri's Call
    1x Firemind's Foresight
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Intuition
    3x Monastery Mentor
    1x Noxious Revival
    1x Release the Ants
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Trickbind

This is where I ended up after help from John Lawrence over in the Omnitell discord.
    The deck feels good. It still has some clunk in it, but you've got so much card draw that you can filter away the combo (without needing top) quite effectively until you are ready to pull the trigger.
    I'll keep messing around with the list to see what improvements can be made.

Maybe this falls on deaf ears, but just maybe, I'll even get some feedback here, where it all started.

Thread Information