Thread: Dryad Militant

Dryad Militant

Hello.

Sorry if I shouldn't post this here, it's not a rule question, it's about card review.

Dryad Militant I think this card is top because it will help us against several decks types as:
    Aggro Loam
    Lands
    Dredge
    All Spells
    ANT (adnauseam tendrills)

And against cards like:
    Punishing fire
    Snapcaster mages

I believe that this card allows us against several decks and cards while also protects our instants/sorceries from extirpates/surgical extraction casted by our opponents and finally makes tamos weak

What do you think about this card?

Regards

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Re: Dryad Militant

The fact it Sees Little to no play says it all. Personally, why should you want to play this card? Most of the time it does nothing to stop the effect of an instant or sorcery.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I love the card. I don't think that it's good unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
    Hello.

Sorry if I shouldn't post this here, it's not a rule question, it's about card review.

Dryad Militant I think this card is top because it will help us against several decks types as:
    Aggro Loam
    Lands
    Dredge
    All Spells
    ANT (adnauseam tendrills)

And against cards like:
    Punishing fire
    Snapcaster mages
    I only play Dredge, Storm, and sometimes All Spells out of the group of decks you listed, but here's my thinking:
    —If you're playing against Dredge, it's good to stop Faithless Looting, Cabal Therapy, and Dread Return, but the deck doesn't rely on those things if it's built well. One reason to run a full quad of Ichorids, for example, is that you don't need to rely so much on Cabal Therapy to produce tokens.
    —All Spells is often too fast to warrant throwing a non-Force of Will/Mindbreak Trap/Ravenous Trap/Surgical Extraction into your sideboard. You can win off of Dryad Militant if you hit it on your first turn and you're on the play, but how likely is it that you'll land it afterward?
    —People assume that Storm decks rely more on the graveyard than they really do. Though Past in Flames is AnT's best enabler, you should never underestimate a line of early play that goes like, "land, ritual, ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Tutor, Ad Nauseam." Your opponent is already at five spells, and they often have mana floating. TES is perhaps better here, because it's more likely to just pop Empty the Warrens without wasting time filtering the deck for a Tendrils for 20.

Interested to hear what you think if you test the card, though!
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Hello.

Thanks for your answers.

I do not pretend stop sorceries/instants with dryad, you have other spells instead. I believe is a interesting card which ability helps against recovering sorceries or instants from graveyard and legacy is a format where many cards do it so I believed that with this card you were protecting against many decks archetypes.

I posted a personal maverick deck where it should be the best deck to test but I haven't got free slots where I cut Hymn to tourach ,thoughsize and birds of paradise because I needed some more slots.

I started the post because I believed that was a interesting and polivalent card.

I have no chance to test it at the moment but I would like.

Regards

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think if this card would see play, it would be more of a death and taxes, zoo, or even old school weenie aggro style deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Yeah, I tried this card out for a good bit in D+T when it was first available. At one mana, I really wanted to like it. But it had the problem of being useless at affecting cards already in the graveyard. Unlike something like Mother of Runes and Deathrite Shaman, which are good throughout the game - quite a rarity for a 1-drop, but nearly required for a control deck (and this is a disruption card, isn't it?) - this fellow was pretty close to a dead draw after only a few turns. The Tarmos were already big and threshold had been established. I'm sure it is similar today.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

I really wanted the card to be good, but the problem lies in it needing to be cast turn 1 as well as there being tons more hatebears that are better out there than this at hosing decks over.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Yeah it's a card that wants to be played as 4-of but just isn't good enough for it. It'd be really nice if it was a Crypt effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Unfortunately she's mostly relegated to casual Soldier decks, because even with several "strictly better" attributes, she's just not good enough.
    It can be good enough as a 1-of in GSZ decks; although even then I normally saved my GSZ for Scooze, and if you have E-tutor you'll just get a better card rather than GSZ your counter; if that makes sense.

You could probably make it work in something; but no one has figured out that something yet, so it probably just doesn't work lol. As Mega says, Zoo sounds like it's best option; but it is still competing with Shaman (who can do a similar role), Goblin Guide (which will add a free two damage by comparison), and the other beaters that are often in zoo.

If you really want to run it, run it as a 1-of in Maverick and you'll probably be happy enough with it. Then your only problem will be playing maverick ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Militant, as people have said, it a fine first turn play if you're in for that kind of thing. I really belongs in a white weenie build, where it is one of 8 - 12 one drops that ensure you are pushing at the ground right away. It's ability is really just a minor advantage to that.

I also use it in Selesnya Aggro (y'know, Civic Saber, the Blades from Alara, etc) sometimes.

Thread Information