Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WotC & Seattle Seahawks linebacker Cassius Marsh - Early Christmas

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: WotC & Seattle Seahawks linebacker Cassius Marsh - Early Christmas

Why I am not surprised that you throw in nationality into a topic completely unrelated these days.

Its just interresting that WotC cares a damn if thousands of $ get stolen at their GP venues all the time from Average Joe because there is no Security, but make a social media buzz in that case.

Its like if Ferrari gifts Kanye West a new car just because one of his other cars got stolen and thinks its good PR in the face of you and me.

For me they are a bunch of...

www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Why I am not surprised that you throw in nationality into a topic completely unrelated these days.
    I didn't realize calling Germans 'Germans' was an insult! That just happened to be a commonality between you and CabalTherapy that no one else in the thread to that point shared.
    If you don't want people to call you a German, don't share that info on the internet.

Anyways, I found out what Hans has been up to since he stopped playing soccer/football:

According to the internet, they have the best buns around.

Sep 2007
    MN

I just love how WotC sends a CARE pack to a professional athlete and (likely) millionaire, while cutting format support, player rewards and charges 30$ for Eternal Masters Drafts.

They truely have their priorities straight.
    I understand the sentiment, but giving out an extra few hundred dollars to a couple people at 1 tournament would have an infinitesimal impact compared to the publicity they've gotten from this donation.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I didn't realize calling Germans 'Germans' was an insult! That just happened to be a commonality between you and CabalTherapy that no one else in the thread to that point shared.
    And what kind of relevance does it have were we live? Its funny enough that you asume I am german simply based on the location as if people don't move. Guess such stuff is en vogue in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but giving out an extra few hundred dollars to a couple people at 1 tournament would have an infinitesimal impact compared to the publicity they've gotten from this donation.
    You want to tell me that handing out gifts to the GP players who got stuff stolen would have caused less of a positive echo in the community than sponsoring a pro athlete?

What actually is their targeted audience for PR? The millions of active players are surely not as all we read is "theft at GPs", "Players rewards stopped", etc in regards to WotC. They do PR now for ... NFL fans?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Its funny enough that you asume I am german simply based on the location as if people don't move.
    You got me! Let me correct the offensive statement for you.

The Berliners are just salty that WotC helped out an American Football player.

You'll have to forgive me for assuming you are German. I'm still recovering from the shock of our presidential election and in my brain haze I drew a ridiculous conclusion.

You want to tell me that handing out gifts to the GP players who got stuff stolen would have caused less of a positive echo in the community than sponsoring a pro athlete?

What actually is their targeted audience for PR? The millions of active players are surely not as all we read is "theft at GPs", "Players rewards stopped", etc in regards to WotC. They do PR now for ... NFL fans?
    What was your point in starting this thread? Is this just another opportunity to shit on WotC?
    What action could they have taken upon learning of Cassius' misfortune that wouldn't have ended up with you bitching incessantly? That's a serious question. I'd seriously like to know what WotC should have done that would have satisfied you so I can share it with their PR people.

Sep 2007
    MN

There is obviously nothing anyone can say that can change your mind. It seems like you lack perspective; this is a single incident of good will and you are trying to distort 2k in product which probably cost WoTC like $200 dollars and turn this situation into a dumpster fire of priorities.

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

While following politics, this was mentioned on fivethirtyeight.com. This was very cheap advertising by WotC and I don't get the butthurt. Well, I do but I don't.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    This is one of the most disturbing things I've seen on the internet. How old are you?
    Wow your easy to disturb. I'm 29 by the way.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

If every person that had something stolen at a GP had their stuff replaced left and right by WoTC, then I'd say a whole ton of people will start having their stuff "stolen" all the time. It's pretty much a given that Cassius has zero motivation to make a false claim on twitter about this.
    My guess is that some WoTC employee is probably a Seahawks fan since both both are based in Seattle, found the tweet, and went to his boss and said "hey, you wanna help out a fellow Seattle resident who happens to play magic AND pro football?"

I should also like to direct you to the thread on reddit discussing this where Wizards responded-

"We can't help if we don't hear about it. If you know a fan in need make sure we hear about it."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...hawks/d9vkjt8/

Granted, I don't think WoTC is going to go replace decks for everyone who's ever experienced a loss, nor do I think they should be expected to by any means.

Having said that-
    I agree that security continues to be a concern when attending a GP. I don't think this is on WoTC exclusively to provide security, but I do think they should partner with whoever is running the show (SCG or Pasttimes or whoever) and the venue to come up with better security than what's currently present. Not sure how much good this would do given that many thefts don't even get noticed till someone's walking out the venue with someone else's deck stashed in their bag and you can't just search people at will, but it at least might help with parking lot breakins.

Look, I'm miffed about a lot of things WotC has done and I hate to see the lack of support Legacy is being given- but the message is that there are a lot of things WotC deserves some criticism for, I just don't think this is one of them.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Also note wotc donated to charity to match and I'm sure this guy will be matching what wotc donates. Nobody is really losing here by wotc's response. I think it's refreshing to show a person who plays the game that breaks the brainless stereotype of who plays magic. I co-sign all this guy's responses to being called a nerd, playing a child's game etc. He's loud and proud and I salute that. I really don't understand what the tears in here are about. As mentioned earlier wotc has helped out others who are not athletes/millionaires- not a big deal.
    Tusk Up

I don't get it. Why did they donate money to children in this case? I mean, I get that they are children, and that children's charity is a good thing. There is no arguing with that. But what do the children have to do with this person getting his Magic cards stolen? And why equal value?

Jun 2015
    NYC

They did it to preempt this exact discussion.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

And to do a nice thing- and it's a write-off. Have you ever worked for a company that makes donations? I get it you guys are righteous magical geniuses but this situation isn't over complicated really- this is how large businesses work. Take it as a good deed or join greenpeace and prove your superiority of kindness.

If you want to translate to legacy eternal support, maybe your time is better served by getting off pointless forums like this and promoting some eternal events.
    Tusk Up

I'm sure if Casisus would see this thread (or someone will link it to him) he would eb ashamed to be part of mtg community, especially legacy... can you all just .. wise up..??

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    I don't get it. Why did they donate money to children in this case? I mean, I get that they are children, and that children's charity is a good thing. There is no arguing with that. But what do the children have to do with this person getting his Magic cards stolen? And why equal value?
    The Seattle Seahawks have a great relationship with the Seattle Children's Hospital. All of their players volunteer time and money there on a regular basis. I had heard that he would play with kids at the hospital with his cards. So that's kinda the main reason.

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

I loved this story. Marsh is a beast player for the hawks and I was shocked to learn he plays magic (not to mention I've never seen him in the Seattle Legacy circuit).

As for Wizards, sounds great. I don't see anything to complain about here.
    Anyway, I hope we crush the Patriots this Sunday.

P.S. Marsh - if you're reading this, I got a sick cube in case you ever wanna draft.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

You got me! Let me correct the offensive statement for you.

The Berliners are just salty that WotC helped out an American Football player.

You'll have to forgive me for assuming you are German. I'm still recovering from the shock of our presidential election and in my brain haze I drew a ridiculous conclusion.
    You still seem to miss the point.

What was your point in starting this thread? Is this just another opportunity to shit on WotC?
    Nonsense. I just ask why WotC isn't doing promotion for their current players, but keeps cutting it down or why they dont do straight up charity for .. say .. children in hospitals which are seriously ill, have to stay there and could use some distraction in the form of such game. Both would be good PR for the company too.

what action could they have taken upon learning of Cassius' misfortune that wouldn't have ended up with you bitching incessantly?
    It has nothing to do with him. Absolutely nothing. I am sad because of what happened to him. With that being said, there are countless similar and worse incidents publically known which WotC ignored even if its straight up at their events and a result of their lazy security standards. Its close to an insult to all the normal people who got their stuff stolen, that WotC starts and ends their whiteknighting as a result of theft with a celebrity. I get that this is supposed to draw publicity for low budget, but the signal for the community isn't a good one, at least in my opinion and in regards to their cutted overall support for the average player.

That's a serious question. I'd seriously like to know what WotC should have done that would have satisfied you so I can share it with their PR people.
    Don't take your traditional customers for granted and only do PR outside of your usual audience Circle. Don't be Hillary Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    There is obviously nothing anyone can say that can change your mind. It seems like you lack perspective; this is a single incident of good will and you are trying to distort 2k in product which probably cost WoTC like $200 dollars and turn this situation into a dumpster fire of priorities.
    Yeah, its a SINGLE INCIDENT and favor of a pro athlete, while giving a shit for their other players by ignoring similar incidents, cutting support, promotion, etc ALL THE TIME.

Would you praise Ferrari for their "awesome charity event" if they gift Kanye West a new car?

Join us at Facebook!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

It has nothing to do with him.
    So the thread YOU titled WotC & Seattle Seahawks linebacker Cassius Marsh - Early Christmas which included a link to a story about Cassius has nothing to do with him? Nice troll brah, truly master class.

Have fun being bitter over a charitable act of WotC. You're miserable to interact with.

Sep 2007
    MN

Yeah, its a SINGLE INCIDENT and favor of a pro athlete, while giving a shit for their other players by ignoring similar incidents, cutting support, promotion, etc ALL THE TIME.

Would you praise Ferrari for their "awesome charity event" if they gift Kanye West a new car?
    I'm not praising Wotc, rather I don't think what they did merits taking a shit on them.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I am honestly not sure what purpose this thread is serving. I also don't see it going anywhere noble from here. Going to close it up, I think it's for the best.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information