Thread: Fear the walking dead (BG Modern Zombies)

Fear the walking dead (BG Modern Zombies)

Hello everybody,

I've been developing a zombie deck for a while and I think I've found a list that it's good and can compete in modern metagame.

My current list is:

Sorceries: 10
    4 inquisition of kozilek
    4 collective brutality
    1 Deadly Allure
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

creatures: 26
    4 gravecrawler
    4 relentless dead
    4 Lotleth Troll
    4 diregraf colossus
    3 Prized Amalgam
    1 Fleshbag Marauder
    1 Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
    2 Kalitas, traitor of ghet
    2 vengeful pharaoh

Instants: 4
    4 Nameless Inversion

Artifacts: 6
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Blasting Station

Enchantments: 1
    1 Sinister Conoction

lands: 20
    5 swamp
    4 Blooming marsh
    4 verdant catacombs
    1 overgrown tomb
    1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    1 shizo, death's storehouse
    4 cavern of souls

The list has more than 60 cards but it's working fine and I don't know what to cut.

As you can see all the cards in the deck has synergy among themselves and although you use the graveyard a lot you can play without it so is more resllient to graveyard hate that people is playing nowdays thanks to dredge.

What do you think? Any ideas suggestions or improvementss to the list?

PD: Sorry but don't know how to put the card tags in the list

Re: Fear the walking dead (BG Modern Zombies)

So I have been playing zombies in modern for a long time and here's my thoughts:
    Removal: Fatal Push is currently the best removal in all of modern right now. It doesn't hit everything, but it hits most of it. It even hits your own guys! Geralf's Messenger is one of the best zombies in existence. It's has valuable ETB effects in addition to it's built-in resiliency. Not running four of these guys is a mistake. There's a lot of cards in your list I don't necessarily agree with, but many of them are made better with a messenger next to them. Prized Amalgam, Fleshbag Marauder, are such cards.
    You also have a lot of choices that make me scratch my head, like Nameless Inversion and Haakon. Is Inversion just there for shenanigans with Haakon? Because it doesn't do much else.
    In my experience Zombies works best as an aggro deck that gets in some good damage early, and then grinds out the last few points using recursion. To that end you should look into more 2/X for 1 like Dread Wanderer, and Diregraf Ghoul. And good "dies" triggers that tilt the normal answers in your favor. Things like Blood Artist, Diregraf Captain, Plague Belcher, or Zulaport Cutthroat.

Thread Information