Summary

This weekend I played in the biggest Swedish Legacy Tournament in the year, Legacy SM. The tournament took place in Borås, 3 hours train trip from Stockholm. The other years had good results for me. I got in top 16 2015 and 2014 I got the top 8. I played with the same deck old deck that I started legacy with, Deadguy Ale. This year I had also a MUD deck and was thought to played it instead. But I am more experience with DeadGuy Ale and it had good result before in this event, so I run that.

The Deck

3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Dark Confidant
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Grim Flayer
1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Abrupt Decay

4 Thoughtseize
2 Lingering Souls
2 Hymn to Tourach
1 Vindicate

1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Batterskull

2 Liliana of the Veil

4 Marsh Flats
3 Verdant Catacombs
1 Windswept Heath
4 Scrubland
1 Savannah
2 Bayou
3 Wasteland
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Forest

SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 2 Zealous Persecution
SB: 1 Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 1 Hymn to Tourach
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Containment Priest
SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 1 Choke
SB: 1 Kor Firewalker
SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
SB: 1 Collective Brutality

There are some new cards I have added in two months I like to highlight

2 Grim Flayer

This card is still under testing but when I got to play him he has been great! Trample has been more relevant in games then you think.

1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

This was a Mirran Cruasder before. I love Mirran but I want to try Thalia out. Her cardtext is more relevant in unfair match-up, that is a bad match-up for the deck. It has been decent so far. Shardless BUG is usually popular in Legacy SM, where Mirran is king. But I wanted to try Thalia anyways.

1 Vindicate

This was a Council's Judgement. Because I added Grim Flayer in the deck, the color mana has been become more demanding. Judgement is only better against True Name and Emrakul. Vindicate is easier to cast and you can destroy lands with it. :)

1 Collective Brutality

This card replaced Manriki-Gusari. Stoneblade is not in the meta anymore and D&T is one of our good match-ups. I played tested before the tournament against Burn and it was really bad matchup for me. I have to remove 8 cards in mainboard (4 Bob and 4 Thoughtseize ) and board in like Ethersworn Canonist to fill up the main spot. Collective Brutality has been good in modern against Burn so I thought to try it out. It maybe sideboard against combo and infect but not super good.

The Event

I played Modern the day bore to 1 am and we go to bed around 2:30 am. We woke up 8 am and took the car to be on the site 9:00.

There were 103 in the event. 8 round swiss before the top. The meta on other years have been a lot of Shardless BUG and Miracles. There are however new decks in the meta, Eldrazi. It was kind of hard to read what the meta was.

The Matches

Match 1: UB Tezz

My first opponent was someone I knew from my Local Game Store. I know he is playing UB Tezz before we started the match

Game 1

He wins the dice roll but has to mulligan to 6.

I keep a hand with more than two lands, Thoughtseize and Stoneforge.

He starts with a Tomb and pass. I play my thoughtseize. I can't read my own notes but I think I took a Bridge.

Turn two, he plays a Signet and Baleful Strix. I play my Stoneforge and got my Sword of Fire and Ice. This was better than Batterskull because the Thopers and Baleful are blue.

I got my Sword out and equip it to my Dark Confidant and starts hit him. He got Tezz Agent of Bolas and play it out. He made one of his Signets to a 5/5 but I had a AD for that. My Dark Confidant was unstoppable

Sideboard:
- 2 Swords to P
- 2 ThoughtSeize (Remove all 1 mana spell because of Void)

+ 2 Zealous
+ 1 Needle
+1 Mealstorm Pulse

Game 2

We both mulligan.

He starts with a Leyline of the Void in play. He plays Tomb and then a Signet.

I play a land and pass.

He plays a land and then Helm. I can't deal with it and scoopes.

Game 3

We both mulliganed to 5.

I keep a hand with Marsh Flats, Wasteland, Deathrite, Stone Forge and Zealous.

I start with Deathrite. He plays a land but nothing else. I get my StoneForge out and get a Sword of Fire and Ice.

He plays a land and pass. I don't draw any land on turn three so I pass the turn with my mana up. He plays Toxic on 2 to kill my creatures. I response to activate Stoneforge to get my Sword out.

On my turn 4 I get my second Deathrite out. My opponent didn't get any relevant so I get to equip and hit him. Still no third land.

He gets up to 5 mana to play Tezz the Seeker. He gets Spellskite as a blocker against my deathrite.

The turn after I get my third land, fetch to get Bayou to AD spellskite. I attack with deathrite to my opponent and deal 2 dmg to Tezz. Really nice top deck there.

He then plays a Strix to Leyline of the Void. He is now 6 life, he seems to count to survive. But I have zealous on my hand and get the one more power to finish the match.

1-0

Match 2: Lands

Another player from my local store. We have great games when I was playing MUD and he was on Aluren. I didn't know what he was going to play on this tournament.

Game 1

I lost the dice roll again.

I keep my 7 and he mulligan to 6.

He starts with Exploration and then another land. Oh shit, not lands!

I got a Dark Confidant turn 2 that he didn't respond. It became a grindy game where I have a really big board and he had to play Glacial Chasm and pay life so he didn't died. I also got Linger Souls so he couldn't make 20/20 flying monster to kill me.

He was behind lands because he has to sacrifice a land to replay Chasm. I play Stoneforge and a Sword of Fire and Ice.

He keep Loaming to find The Tabernacle but no Tabernacle. I activate my Stoneforge to get the Sword out.

I got a Deathrite but I didn't want to play it becasue he has P.Fire in the Graveyard and could play it. So I play my Thalia and force his lands to come in tapped.

He have to tapout all of his mana to kill Thalia. This was the opening I was waiting for, I play Deathrite and Equip Sword so eh could die to P.Fire.

The board state looked like this:
http://imgur.com/a/fWDhu

I won after 5 deathrite activations. That was a grindy game

Sideboard:
-2 Hymn
-2 Liliana
+1 Needle
+1 Surgical
+1 Tormod's Crypt
+1 Nihil Spellbomb

Game 2

The first game took a lot of time and I was happy to at least to get a draw against lands.

I keep a hand with 2 Swords to Plow, Dark Confidant and Tormods Crypt.

He play his lands and pass the turn. I play a fetchland and say go. He gets a P.Fire and Loam in the graveyard. I play Tormods and remove the graveyard but he had a Grove up and return the P.Fire to the hand.

I got at least the Loam and stopped him to Loaming. The game went long and we couldn't finish the game. In the last five rounds he makes a 20/20 token but I have the Swords to Plow I had the whole time in my hand.

2-0

Match 3: Elves

The next guy I haven't met before so I didn't know what deck he played. His deck had a lot of alts so he probably likes elves a lot. I don't.

Kill all elves and don't let the elf player to have 4 mana.

Game 1

Lost the die roll again

I keep a hand with removal, discard and lands.

I starts with a Thoughtseize. His hand was Ooze(Main deck!?), Visionary and Heritage Druid. Rest lands.

Discarded Druid, the card will let him play all the cards in the hand.

Turn 2, he plays Visionary and draw a card.

My turn 2 I play my Stoneforge to get Jitte.

He don't draw anything to combo off or build I big board. The Ooze gets bigger and I have to take damage.

I get out a Jitte and Batterskull. I AD Ooze and win with Jitte after that.

Sideboard:
-2 Souls
-2 Liliana

+2 Zealous Persecution
+1 Grafdigger's Cage
+1 Gaddock Teeg

Game 2

He starts with a Ranger. I play Thoughtseize and see two NO. I discard one of them.

He plays Dryad arbor and other elf.

On my turn, I play Zealous. He didn't return his Dryad with ranger. I play a Tidehollow to take his other NO and take over the match.

3-0

Match 4: BR Reanimator

The new Reanimator deck that is really fast and hard to stops because of Angel. This is a bad match, worse then BU Reanimator.

Game 1

I lost the dice roll again.

I keep a stable and with two Deathrite, Thoughtseize and lands.

Pregame effect, Chancellor of the Annex. Oh shit.

He plays a lands and plays faithless looting, discarding Griszzle and pass the turn. I play DeathRite and it get countered. Now I have a creature to return with Exsume.

He draws a card and pass the turn. I play a Thoughtseize and see a lot of big dudes och a Collective Brutality. I take Collective Brutality and play my second Shaman.

There were no reanimator spell drawn and my Deathrite keeps removeing cards. He scoops.

Sideboard:
-2 Hymn
-2 Liliana of the Veil
-2 Lingering Souls

+1 Nihil Spellbomb
+1 Tormod's Crypt
+1 Pithing Needle
+1 Containment Priest
+1 Surgical Extraction
+1 Grafdigger's Cage

Game 2

We both mulligan to 6

He gets a turn one Sire of Insanity and I draw no land + swords. gg

Game 3

I keep okey hand if he had a slow hand. But he has Chancellor of the Annex and gets a Griselbrand. The only way I could win that game was if I had Surgical Extraction or Tormod's Crypt in my hand.

3-1

Match 5: ANT Strom

This is not a good matchup either. I have to get a early discard and then aggro him down.

We get a deckcheck before the match.

Game 1

I lose the dice roll again :(

I thought he was on Grixis Control. He plays a Cabal and name something I don’t remember. He combos off and I can’t stop him.

Sideboard:
-4 Swords of Plowers
-2 Lingering Souls
-1 Thalia
-1 Vindicate

+ 1 Nihil Spellbomb
+ 1 Tormod's Crypt
+ 1 Ethersworn Canonist
+ 1 Hymn to Tourach
+ 1 Surgical Extraction
+ 1 Grafdigger's Cage
+ 1 Gaddock Teeg
+ 1 Collective Brutality

Game 2

I keep a hand with Tormod Crypt, Hymn, Dark Confidant, Wasteland, MarshFlasts

I play Tormods turn 2 and Dark Confidant. He AD my Dark Confidant.

The turn after I play StoneForge and gets Batterskull.

He plays AD on Tormods and I exile 6 cards in the graveyard. I get a batterskull out and starts hitting him but I don’t draw my third land. I need one more black to Hymn his two last cards. When he is on 9, he starts to combo off, and gets the right cards for his last mana and brainstorm to get storm on 13. If I had only draw any black mana source, I would got that game.

3-2

Match 6: Miracles

This is a old pal of mine. He is really old timer and plays magic alot. He usually plays Elves but I know he started to play Miracles in this tournament.

This matchup is favor to us. My deck can really grind them out. You still have to play smart and don’t overcommit

Game 1

I win the dice roll for once.

I keep a hand with 2 deathrite and Dark Confidant.

I start to play my Deathrite and he have to force that. This is really good start because he loses a card.

We trades a lot of cards but he ends up with no cards. I have grind him out with Lingering souls. Grim Flayer was a star in this match. He was a 4/4 after the grind and makes me draw the cards that I want.

Sideboard:
+1 Choke
+1 Pithing Needle
- 2 Swords to Plowers

Game 2

I keep a good hand.

He starts with a Volcanic island and pass the turn.

I play a Thoughtseize. He response with a brainstorm and let it resolves. I see 1 island, 2 terminus, supreme verdict. I pick a Supreme.
He plays his Volcanic island and pass.
I play a Grimflayer and pass the turn.
He draws a card but don’t get a land and pass the turn.
I play my Wasteland and Vindiate his island and hits with Grim Flayer. With his trigger, I got delirium.
He draws a Flooded Strand and passed the turn.
I cast Stoneforge -> Sword of Fire and Ice and Wastelands his Volcanic.

It ends with a Grim Flayer with a SoFaI that hit him two times. He got no answers against it.

4-2

Match 6: UR Prowess Delver
First time playing against this type of deck. I have played against UR delvers before but only with Young Pyromancer. This deck is faster and more aggressive and probably worse matchup then non-Prowess version. My oppnet seems to be a nice guy and just started legacy. His Steam Vents revealed that.

Game 1
I trade removel with his cretures. I grind him down. I got myself a Grim with Jitte and it finnish the game

I don't remember what I sideboraded in this matchup.

Game 2

He really gets a aggressive curve with Goblin Guide, Swift Spear and Stromchaser Mage. He even gets a TNN out that I can’t kill with my cards in my hand. Too fast for me.

Game 3

Not as fast as the last match but I couldn’t keep up to make play out creature or removal. I was afraid for Smash so I keep my Equips in my hand. I had a hard time to stop him. Then I went down to 8 and I get a Batterskull out. I hoped this was a turning point, but then he plays a Price and it was gg.

4-3

Standings

Top 16 could win prizes and there were a small chance for me to get it. But my friend wanted to play team sealed with me and I wanted to eat something before that. So I dropped before the Round 8. I still got 32ard place :)

Warp-up

The Meta seems to be more unfair then it usually do in this event. 4 of them were bad matchup and the other three was okey. I am overall okey with the results.

When Grim Flayer get on the battlefield, he becomes a beast. I am not 100% sure about the manabase for Grim yet. There were several times I wished the Wasteland gave me color mana instead.

Thalia was alright. She did her thing against lands but other then that didn’t do much. I still want to play more with her before I go back to Mirran Crusader.

Vindicate was nice to have instead of Judgement. Destroy lands feels great. I only saw one creature I couldn’t kill with it but it wouldn’t matter in that match-up.

I only sideboards in Collective Brutality once against Strom. I think I should boarded in against UR delver when I think about it. I don’t know if it’s good against elves, to kill a dude and discard a NO seems nice but maybe too slow. It will be in sideboard until I find something better, it kinda lose right now.

Hope you enjoy this tournament report and thanks for reading it :)