Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: A deck per week challenge

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    play some tribal :)
    Cleric tribal?
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Cleric tribal?
    Anyone remember thunderbluff?

I forgot to post on Monday, but I played D&T, I went 2-1 with it. My matchups were Infect (1-2), BUG delver (2-0), UG 12post (2-1). Not a lot of spiciness or anything crazy going on in this list. I do like the mangara of corondor, although I never got to activate it, it did act as a lightning rod for abrupt decay against BUG. If he hadn't topdecked the abrupt decay I would have exiled one of his lands every turn since I had vial on 3, and drew the karakas the next turn.

Anyway, here's the list.

Death and Taxes

4 Flickerwisp
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Serra Avenger
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Æther Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

10 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    3 Karakas
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Horizon Canopy

Sideboard:

1 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Kor Firewalker
    1 Mirran Crusader
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Cataclysm
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Manriki-Gusari
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Rest in Peace

Recommended changes: Mostly sideboard changes here. I'd remove manriki-gusari, it's just too slow. I'd consider swapping a canonist for a containment priest since there's a decent amount of reanimator and sneaky/show in the meta these days. Would consider cutting the spirit of the labyrinth entirely. It never seems super relevant. It would probably be better off as something like mindbreak trap or even disenchant. I found myself wanting to have artifact/enchantment removal.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1)
    Last edited by Jakobian1010; 07-04-2017 at 02:04 AM.

Just a heads up, I'll probably take a brief hiatus from this challenge for a few weeks soon in order to prepare for Grand Prix Las Vegas' legacy main event. I'll likely consistently play one or two decks for a while in order to hone a list and familiarize myself with what I'm going to end up playing at the GP. If people are interested, I'll still post what list I play (if it changed from the past week) and I'll give a mini status report of the results from the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    Just a heads up, I'll probably take a brief hiatus from this challenge for a few weeks soon in order to prepare for Grand Prix Las Vegas' legacy main event. I'll likely consistently play one or two decks for a while in order to hone a list and familiarize myself with what I'm going to end up playing at the GP. If people are interested, I'll still post what list I play (if it changed from the past week) and I'll give a mini status report of the results from the deck.
    Gonna try rug Ascension a second time at the GP I assume?

Yesterday I played in the Knightware GPT for staples event. I decided to try the "new" version of food chain. The build is basically the same as the old build in concept, but its main win condition is walking ballista. The deck eschews the shardless agent plan completely, and opts for some other 3 drop creatures instead. Here's a list of mainboard changes from old builds: -4 shardless agent, -2 fierce empath, -1 tombstalker, -1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, +1 eternal scourge, +2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest, +4 walking ballista, +1 land apparently. That's the basic gist of what's different from lists I played in the past. I also used to run 2 misdirection in the main instead of 1 abrupt decay and 1 baleful strix, but misdirection is less common than 4 baleful strix 4 abrupt decay builds.

The event was 6 rounds, and I really wanted to get a feel for this deck (plus I carpooled with someone who ended up doing better than me), so I stayed in for all 6 rounds. I ended up going 3-3 overall. My matchups were as follows: 4c Control (0-2), Sneak and Show (2-0), Grixis Delver (0-2), Elves (2-0), Eldrazi (1-2), Sneak and Show (2-0)

The tournament started off very discouragingly, in game 1 I mulliganed to 6 cards and kept a 2 land hand, but never drew any other land or deathrite shamans. Game 2 I mulligan'd a no land 7, no land 6, kept my 5 which contained polluted delta, ponder, and 3 other cards. After fetching for a basic island, I cast ponder and saw 3 non-lands, shuffled, drew a non land. A couple turns of drawing non-lands go by, I see another ponder, cast it and see 3 non-lands, shuffle, draw non-land. Two more turns and I'm dead. Great start to an event right?

Round 2 vs sneak and show:
    In game 1 I win the die roll, turn 1 cast deathrite shaman, pass. Opponent goes island -> preordain, pass. I go land -> baleful strix, pass. He goes ancient tomb -> show and tell. I had no force of will in hand, but I did have eternal scourge, walking ballista, and food chain in hand! He shows in Emrakul, I show in food chain and hope for the best. He passes the turn. On my turn I exile baleful strix to cast the eternal scourge and my opponent doesn't counter it. I proceed to generate ~400 creature-only mana and cast a giant walking ballista to shoot my opponent. Feels good. Game 2 he boarded in at least 3 blood moons against me, but I was prepared for this and fetched a basic forest early. I let the blood moon resolve since I had a deathrite shaman in hand and I wanted to keep FoW backup so I could counter his show and tell/sneak attack, or counter his countermagic so I could force through a food chain. A few turns go by and he isn't drawing much business. He finally draws a show and tell but I have the countermagic for it, and I was able to combo off a couple turns later.

Round 3 vs Grixis delver
    I know my opponent, his name is Ryan Sloan and I quite enjoy playing games with him. I don't have a lot of notes from the games, but they were very close life totals both games. Game 1 he had the upper hand for quite a bit of the game, I was never able to find combo pieces, but did manage to get in some damage and do some crowd control. Game 2 he had an aggressive start with a delver flipping and bashing for 3 on his turn 2. I had a decent start and got manipulate fate so I had some fatties "in my hand" for later. I also was able to find a food chain pretty late in the game so I could cast multiple of them in a turn if I had them, but the walking ballista never showed up. Game 2 ended with him at 1 life and me having lethal on board for the next turn if I hadn't died. I really really missed having tombstalker or some other way of getting misthollows from GY to exile in the deck in this matchup because I was forced to block and trade with a delver of secrets and another 3+ power fatty with my misthollow griffins, which put them in the graveyard (not where I wanted them to be). I suppose if I had had a deathrite shaman I probably would have won game 2 (for various reasons, could have dealt the 2 last points of damage, or survived more turns from exiling griffins).

Round 4 vs Elves:
    This elves player was pretty new, so I think he kept bad hands both games. I did some crowd control with abrupt decay and it was enough to prevent him from casting natural order or GSZ for anything relevant. I was able to combo off unimpeded pretty quickly.

Round 5 vs eldrazi
    Eldrazi is a pretty rough matchup. I was going to drop before this round, but my friend was still in the x-2 bracket so I stayed in since he was my ride. Basically cavern of souls is the devil. The game I was able to win was mostly due to me amassing 2 griffins and an eternal scourge from food chain being in play, then double blocking, exiling with deathrite shaman, and re-casting griffins for the flying damage. Game 3 he got to all is dust me when i over-extended 3 baleful strix onto the field. That was definitely a play mistake on my part. He didn't have much damage on the board at the time, so I was able to re-stabilize and get food chain + griffinx2 + eternal scourge, but he was able to kill them and I couldn't re-cast them from graveyard (needed to deal damage to kill his creatures, since trample is a thing). He eventually cast an emrakul, the promised end and it did end up killing me. Had I drawn a walking ballista at any point when I had combo online I obviously would have won, but that didn't happen.

Round 6 vs sneak and show
    I don't have very good notes for this round, but at one point my opponent cast show and tell and put in omniscience, then cast emrakul on an empty hand. I cast diabolic edict and let him take his extra turn, he drew a land and passed. I swung in for 6 damage and passed, he drew land and passed. I drew another diabolic edict and swung in for another 6 damage. 2 more turns and the game was over.

So here's the list I played:

Food Chain

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Bayou
    2 Island
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Misthollow Griffin
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Eternal Scourge

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Ponder
    3 Manipulate Fate
    4 Food Chain
    1 Sylvan Library

Sideboard

2 Hydroblast
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction

Changes I'd make: I'm not 100% certain this build is any better than the "old" build of food chain. It still can flounder on not having combo pieces in hand. The 3rd manipulate fate felt awkward at times, since casting a second copy removes griffin (or scourge if the first got 3 griffins), manipulate fate, 1 other card (usually a fetchland or something). Leovold as a 2-of felt underwhelming throughout the entire tournament. Sure it was sweet if my sneak and show opponent had gotten a griselbrand in play, but it wouldn't have necessarily won me the game in that situation. I did miss the ability to use shardless agent to "tuck" extra lands and cmc 3+ spells in combination with brainstorm. I also sorely missed the ability to have a plan B of casting fierce empath to get tombstalker when the combo wasn't quite working out. I'd also like to point out that fierce empath + tombstalker with food chain in play is still 12 mana, which still lets you cast emrakul even without any griffins. I'm still not 100% sure when I need to manipulate fate for eternal scourge vs just getting 3 griffins. Most of the time I did griffin x2 + eternal scourge. I'm 99% certain this is wrong in a lot of cases. There was at least one time when I had eternal scourge in hand and wished it was a griffin I could pitch to force of will. The argument a lot of people have for this build is "Walking Ballista does stuff on it's own!" but I call BS on that. It does *something* but it doesn't usually do enough to be relevant outside of the combo. It can be counterspelled unlike emrakul, the Aeon's torn (a lot of people also don't counterspell fierce empath because they're uncertain what is happening), it is often incorrect to just cast a ballista for x=2 (lets face it you're never really casting it for any greater value than that), and if you DO decide to cast it out of desperation, it could cost you the game because you might topdeck the other combo piece the next turn then lose because you don't have a ballista to cast.

I was worried the sneak and show matchup might be harder since I no longer have a good show and tell target (I have won several games in the past by casting fierce empath, getting emrakul, then opponent never casting show and tell because they knew I'd put in emrakul, OR just naturally drawing emrakul, them casting show and tell, and me putting in my own emrakul to kill them).

Things I liked: Leovold as a 1-of is useful. Eternal scourge is decent if you topdeck it, not very great if you manipulate fate it. This sideboard was pretty well tuned for the current metagame. I was able to still beat sneak and show despite having an emrakul to show in. I guess the sideboard is geared pretty well to beat sneak and show. The sideboard is very good.

Overall I'm pretty sure I'd still play the "old" version of food chain, as I feel it gives more flexibility and is somewhat less reliant on the combo to win.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3)

* denotes the deck was played in an event other than a weekly event for store credit, such as a monthly event for staples.

I am not one with the graveyard and the graveyard is not with me... Today I *attempted* to play dredge to a miserable 1-2 finish. Round 1 was against grixis delver and I lost 0-2, round 2 was against grixis delver and I lost 1-2, round 3 was against a total scrub. This guy was the worst magic player I've ever played against. Probably has never won a game of magic. I don't know who names their kid ***BYE*** but they didn't even show up for the match. Total loser. Fake news. I had a tremendous victory over them.

Here's the list: (It's literally card for card Joseph Moreno's list from this event: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14596&d=287545&f=LE)

Dredge

4 Cephalid Coliseum
    2 City of Brass
    3 Gemstone Mine
    4 Mana Confluence

4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    3 Golgari Thug
    3 Ichorid
    4 Narcomoeba
    2 Prized Amalgam

4 Stinkweed Imp
    3 Street Wraith

3 Breakthrough
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Careful Study
    1 Dread Return
    4 Faithless Looting

4 Bridge from Below
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

sideboard

1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Ashen Rider
    1 Breakthrough
    1 City of Brass
    1 Dread Return
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    3 Lotus Petal
    2 Unmask
    3 Wear / Tear

Changes I'd recommend: Have better luck next time I play the deck :'( . This deck doesn't fit my play style whatsoever, so it's no surprise I'm lousy at playing it. If someone wants to play dredge, I'd recommend they play whatever Joseph Moreno's current list is.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye)

* denotes the deck was played in an event other than a weekly event for store credit, such as a monthly event for staples.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Just wanted to say that I've been following your progress since the beginning. This is a fun experiment and I enjoy seeing how all these decks do, especially the rogue ones. Thanks for the hard work and keep it up!
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

First off, Thanks Holiday! I'm really glad people are enjoying this venture as much as I am.

On Monday I elected to take a nap instead of playing legacy, so today I went to a different LGS (Spellhold Games in Orange, CA) to play legacy. I typically don't play there on Tuesdays because it's 4 rounds, starts at 7:30, and is about a 30-40 minute drive from home. That means at the earliest I could get home at like 11:00 if I didn't play the 4th round. But enough banter and shout outs to local stores. Today I played a super spicy brew which I honestly wasn't expecting to be as consistent/good as it ended up. I grabbed the original list from this event: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14720&d=288548&f=LE. I thought the deck would be a lot softer to combo than it actually is. At first glance it seemed like combo decks could just get me faster than I could get them.

The matchups:
    Round 1 vs burn (2-1):
    In game 1 my opponent was able to kill me really quickly with t1 goblin guide, t2 swiftspear, bolt, t3 bolt, chain lightning, fireblast. Felt like a really rough start. Game 2 I literally topdecked all pieces in order. The sequence of plays was something like this: turn 1 top, turn 2 topdecked pyrite spellbomb and cast it to draw a card, drew auriok salvagers, next turn drew lion's eye diamond, and I had a city of traitors, cavern of souls, and another land in the opening hand, so I ended up going off on turn 3 or 4. Game 3 my opponent got me to pretty low life but I was able to cast a walking ballista to use as a blocker, used a trinket mage to fetch up a combo piece, and dug for an auriok salvagers with a spellbomb, which drew me into the LED before I died, so I was able to combo off I believe turn 4.

Round 2 vs Sneak & Show (1-2):
    Game 1 I was able to trinket mage for aether spellbomb before my opponent cast a show and tell, so he knew he needed to go the sneak attack route. This bought me a couple turns, but he was able to cantrip to the sneak attack and emrakul'd me before I could assemble the win. I think if I'd have had 1 more turn I might have gotten there.
    Game 2
    I sideboarded in 2 enlightened tutor, 1 ensnaring bridge, 1 peacekeeper, 1 oblivion ring, 1 War-Priest of Thune, 1 pithing needle. I boarded out 1 hope of ghirapur, 2 imperial recruiter, 1 phyrexian furnace, 2 engineered explosives, 1 Pyrite spellbomb.
    I played a turn 1 sensei's divining top, and my opening hand had enlightened tutor, some land, trinket mage, and auriok salvagers in it. My opponent played island, ponder. On turn 2 I played a second land drop and I was all set up if he were to cast a show and tell. He slams down the turn 2 show and tell off of an ancient tomb, and I cast enlightened tutor in response, which somehow resolved. I fetch up ensnaring bridge, draw it with top, and show it into play from show and tell. He shows in emrakul and then passes the turn. I don't think he expected ensnaring bridge, or just didn't draw the anti-hate cards to deal with it, so I eventually got to combo out with pyrite spellbomb.
    Game 3 I had an aether spellbomb and an oblivion ring in my opening hand, but unfortunately my opponent had a ridiculous hand of 2x lotus petal, sneak attack, city of traitors, fetchland, emrakul, griselbrand, and he must have drawn the other land or one of the petals from his turn 1 cantrip. So on turn 3 he was able to cast sneak attack and use both lotus petals to get griselbrand and emrakul into play. Welp...

Round 3 vs Shardless BUG (2-0)
    This matchup was super easy, since shardless takes quite a long time to win, and really doesn't have many ways to interact with the combo since abrupt decay can't kill auriok salvagers, and deathrite shaman can't eat artifacts from the graveyard. Game 1 I was able to get hope of Ghirapur in play, swing with it, then combo off. It was something like turn 4 or 5, but I had cast an imperial recruiter to get the hope of ghirapur, so I had chump blockers for his tarmogoyf, and really didn't have much of a clock to worry about. He suspended an ancestral visions on turn 2, but I killed him when it was on 1 counter left. He was able to cast a murderous cut on the first auriok salvagers I had cast, but I had 2 in my opening hand so I just cast the next one the following turn after sacrificing the hope of ghirapur I mentioned, then I combo'd off. He attempted to cast some spell when I started going off, but I reminded him he couldn't do that because of hope of ghirapur.

I sideboarded as follows: +1 tormod's crypt (to help dodge surgical extraction if necessary), +1 manic vandal, I don't remember if I brought in anything else, and I think I boarded out 1 imperial recruiter and 1 hope of ghirapur (since shardless really only plays force of will for countermagic). I had plenty of time to assemble the combo and had the protection of hope of ghirapur again, so I could go off with impunity. My opponent did cast a pithing needle this game, but he named walking ballista and not auriok salvagers, so I was able to combo off with pyrite spellbomb instead. I feel pretty confident even if he had named salvagers, I could have gotten engineered explosives with trinket mage and blown it up at x=1, or gotten manic vandal with recruiter and blown up the pithing needle in an uncounterable fashion (due to cavern of souls naming human).

Round 4 vs sneak and show (2-1)
    We split prize, but played for funsies anyway.
    Game 1 was a little bit silly, the board state had gotten to something like me having imperial recruiter, karakas, top, cavern, city of traitors, mox opal. I had attacked with ballista a couple of turns, and my opponent had cast force of will on a hope of ghirapur, and had cracked some fetchlands so he was at 16 life. He cast sneak attack, snuck in griselbrand and paid 7 life, I responded by using karakas on the griselbrand, he responded by paying 7 more life putting him to 1. He gets a lotus petal in play and during his end step activates the sneak attack to put another griselbrand in play then discards down to 7. On my turn I just activate karakas and bounce his griselbrand, cast a walking ballista at x=1 then swing with imperial recruiter for the win. Could have also shot with ballista, but either way I got it.

Game 2:
    I boarded the same as I did vs the other sneak and show player in round 2.
    My opponent was able to get sneak attack down pretty fast and got emrakul and ended my parade, getting me down to 3 life in the process. Next turn he snuck in another emrakul and it was lights out :(

Game 3:
    This game was pretty ridiculous. My opening hand was a snap keep, since it had oblivion ring, top, cavern, imperial recruiter, inventor's fair, LED, pithing needle. I cast turn 1 pithing needle naming sneak attack ,my opponent cast turn 1 engineered explosives at x=1 :(. He followed the next two turns by just casting cantrips, and I cast top and LED to make inventor's fair live (because why not?). I proceeded to topdeck an ensnaring bridge and a hope of ghirapur at some point. My opponent eventually popped the EE during my end step to blow up pithing needle, then on his turn cast a couple of cantrips and cast show and tell. He shows in omniscience, but I showed in oblivion ring so he just passed the turn. On my turn I cast hope of ghirapur, passed back to him. He cantrips a couple of times to dig for another show and tell or a sneak attack, passes the turn. I swing with hope of ghirapur and sacrifice it so I can cast an ensnaring bridge without it getting counterspelled. I had a pretty good lock on him at this point, and I basically just ended up beating him down with a walking ballista with 1 counter on it. At the end of the game I had an auriok salvagers in play and a peacekeeper in hand, I swung with the ballista with 1 counter on it, then paid 4 mana to add another counter to it, he sneaks in a griselbrand to block, so I just sac the counters on ballista to shoot my opponent. On my next turn I just recur the ballista, cast it at x=1, he counters it by hardcasting force of will, but I have 2 cards in hand so I can swing with auriok salvagers for the win.

Overall record (3-1)

Other comments: The phyrexian furnace seems like a weird card in the deck right? WRONG. It's specifically there because it cantrips (combo enabler), AND it has the upside of being graveyard hate in the mainboard. More sneaky and importantly, you can use it to target your own combo pieces in response to an opponent's surgical extraction so you can retain the other 3 copies of the card. I think that's the sickest tech idea, and really wished it came up in one of the matchups. I feel like this list is pretty well tuned and has a lot of hidden synergies. You can use imperial recruiter, and on the stack sac LED to enable you to cast auriok salvagers, which sets up the combo win the following turn (assuming you have the other piece in play or in the graveyard). I really wished I could have used the basilisk collar + walking ballista shenanigans as well, but the situation never quite came up. Could have been handy vs the sneak and show matchups, for sure.

Here's the list:
    BOMBERMAN

1 Ancient Den
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Great Furnace
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Island
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Plateau
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island

4 Auriok Salvagers
    3 Hope of Ghirapur
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Trinket Mage
    3 Walking Ballista

1 Aether Spellbomb
    1 Basilisk Collar
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Phyrexian Furnace
    4 Pyrite Spellbomb
    4 Sensei's Divining Top

SIDEBOARD

3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Peacekeeper
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 War Priest of Thune

Changes I'd recommend:
    I already swapped out meekstone in the board for peacekeeper (he's errata'd to human creature type now too!), but in addition I'd probably remove izzet staticaster (I'm not 100% sure why it's there in the first place, I'm guessing monk tokens for monastery mentor, or to deal with stuff like phyrexian revoker?)
    It's possible to cut 1 hope of ghirapur entirely, which I'd probably replace with a fun-of monastery mentor, which is another combo enabler that goes in a little bit different route. Canonist seems good, but I never needed it against my matchups, Chalices seem a little awkward to me since the deck is so packed full of 1 drops, but I guess it hurts storm or belcher way more than it hurts this deck, and that's probably it's intended purpose. I thought about bringing the chalices in vs sneak and show, but didn't want to shut of pithing needle or aether spellbomb.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1)

Alright this one is a blast from the past. I was pretty sure it was going to be a bad time, and I was mostly right. This week I decided to play Zombardment. What better way to take advantage of the miracles-less metagame than by playing an awful deck from 2012?

Overall record (1-2)

The matchups:
    Round 1 vs Food Chain (0-2):
    Food chain pretty much just combo wombo'd me out and killed me on turn 4, even though I caused my opponent to discard a walking ballista and the board was totally clear for me. He had an exiled misthollow griffin, and topdecked another ballista. He cast a turn 3 food chain which he had hidden with a brainstorm, so there was not much I could do about it.
    Game 2 There was some back and forth a little bit, but my opponent was able to land an eternal scourge and a leovold, and just out-creature'd me. Feels bad.

Round 2 vs D&T (1-2):
    Game 1 was fairly grindy, got my opponent down to something like 8 life, but he stabilized and got a batterskull into play and that pretty much ended it. Didn't quite make the damage output I needed to seal the deal.
    Game 2 was grindy AF as well, but I was able to stabilize with an ensnaring bridge. My opponent did draw both rest in peace this game, but I was able to abrupt decay them and finish out the damage with deathrite shaman activations.
    Game 3 I just got completely wrecked. Opponent had an opportunity to cast turn 3 mangara of corondor with a karakas up to protect it, but elected to not cast it for a billion turns until I got an ensnaring bridge in play. He was borrowing D&T from me so I assumed he was aware of the mangara + karakas trick, but he was not. I knew the mangara was there from an earlier cabal therapy. He eventually cast mangara to deal with my ensnaring bridge and swung in with a jitte'd up mirran crusader. Feels bad man.

Round 3 vs Dark Maverick (2-0)
    Game 1 was pretty grindy, but I managed to get phyrexian tower + blood artist x2 + gravecrawler/bloodghast shenanigans. I got down to like 3 life, then topdecked a carrion feeder and was able to just cast gravecrawler and sacrifice it 5 times in a turn. Did it again the next turn for the win. Gross.
    Game 2 I was able to do some combat shenanigans to kill two knight of the reliquarys which were 3/3s (I attacked into them, then cast collective brutality after damage to kill one, bolted another when he was tapped out). Eventually got goblin bombardment and grim haruspex in play and got to draw a couple extra cards and keep his side of the table clear of dudes. I got in for 2 or 4 combat damage pretty much every turn because he didn't want to block with his ethersworn canonist, then got to abuse bloodghast by sacrificing it to something (phyrexian tower or goblin bombardment every turn), so that was pretty neat. Deck played most fluidly in this matchup, but I was also not under too much pressure here.

Overall the deck is definitely too outclassed by the current meta, and there's not really many advantages to playing it over some other more consistent deck. There's a lot of unfortunate splash hate which hoses the deck, and basically never being able to block is atrocious in the current metagame.

Zombardment

3 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Verdant Catacombs

4 Bloodghast
    4 Carrion Feeder
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Gravecrawler
    2 Tidehollow Sculler
    1 Grim Haruspex
    2 Blood Artist
    1 Lotleth Troll

2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Collective brutality
    3 Goblin Bombardment

SIDEBOARD

2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Fatal Push
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Zealous Persecution

Changes I'd make if I played it again: -1 collective brutality, -1 diabolic edict, +2 ensnaring bridge in the sideboard. Ensnaring bridge was great every. single. time. I'd consider -1 lotleth troll, +1 geralf's messenger, -2 lightning bolt, +2 fatal push or collective brutality. Bolts were rarely needed to dome the opponent, and weren't quite good enough for removal purposes I think. I would also consider making room for 1 copy of Nether Traitor to get in some shadow damage and also recur from graveyard.

I never really got to try grim haruspex, he mostly just died to removal pretty quickly. I'd also probably do -2 hymn to taurach, +2 wear/tear in the sideboard, or something else to help blow up enchantments (rest in peace wrecked me a lot). I did see a spicy build that ran 3x vengevine and 2x bridge from below which seemed interesting, but I opted for more consistency and less explosiveness. Vengevine and zombie tokens being able to block could have been huge in some of the games though. It also eschewed lightning bolts and collective brutality entirely in favor of 3 entomb, which I'm not sure would be great with so many deathrite shamans running around.

I liked having the blood artists even though they weren't in many of the lists I looked up for this list. I can see how grim haruspex could help grind out some games, and would consider upping his count to 2. Lotleth troll was largely useless even when I did draw him. I feel like faithless looting x4 is more than enough discard outlets/card advantage stuff, and since you're not putting creatures from graveyard to hand, the troll really doesn't get a ton of usefulness. Phyrexian tower and Undiscovered paradise were both very useful lands, for extra mana and for reliably triggering bloodghast(s) every turn, respectively.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2)

Alright ladies and gentlemen, today was another blast from the past. Honestly, still holds up and has some pros and cons over playing it's contemporary counterpart Sneak and Show. I got to play some silly spells and squeaked out some games with Hive Mind show and tell today.

Overall Record: 2-1 (just barely didn't 3-0)

Matchups: Rnd 1 RG lands (2-0), Rnd 2 Food Chain combo (1-2), Rnd 3 Czech pile (2-1)

Round 1, Game 1 (RG lands):
    My opponent led with something like land, mox diamond discarding a land, life from the loam returning the discarded land to hand. I cast t1 ponder I believe (I had turn 1 ponder a ton of times), got to do something like turn 2 show and tell into emrakul and I won the game.
    Sideboard plan:
    +4 leyline of the void, -1 Summoner's Pact, -1 emrakul (karakas is a thing, but I want to be able to have more than one plan just in case, since I can counterspell the crop rotation to get the karakas), -1 force of will, -1 intuition
    Game 2:
    I forget the exact sequence, but I gitaxian probed my opponent and saw he had two crop rotations in hand, so I went for the show and tell -> emrakul plan to force him to crop rotation for karakas to not just lose the game. This was on turn 3 I believe, and he didn't have enough acceleration to just double crop rotation for the combo to win. He of course crop rotation'd for karakas and bounced my emrakul, but I had drawn a second show and tell already anyway. A couple cantrips later I was able to show and tell in hive mind and cast 2 pact of the titan afterwards. He did have 4 mana + dark depths in play at this time, but I forgot depths couldn't tap for mana, so I made sure to cast two pacts thinking he could have paid for 1.

Round 2, Game 1 (Food Chain):
    I had 2 show and tell and an emrakul in my opener, and cantrip'd into the city of traitors, so I was able to turn 2 show and tell (it got force of will'd, no big deal), turn 3 show and tell -> emrakul. He showed in food chain, then cast an eternal scourge on his turn and I almost shit my pants. He didn't have the ballista or anything else going on, so I was able to swing with emrakul and win game 1.

Sideboard plan:
    -1 Summoner's pact (too easy for him to pay for it), -1 volcanic island (he plays no wastelands, so 1 is enough), -1 ponder, -1 intuition, -1 Emrakul (probably not a correct decision) +1 Boseiju, +2 spell pierce, +2 leyline of sanctity (wasn't certain how much discard he brings in)

Game 2:
    I can't remember with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure he just got a leovold in play and beat me to death with it, and I wasn't able to combo out because he countered all my stuff. I definitely lost game 2.

Revised Sideboard plan:
    (changes from original 60 cards) -1 Summoner's Pact, -1 volcanic island, -1 ponder, -1 intuition, +1 Boseiju, +2 spell pierce, +2 flusterstorm
    I decided leyline of sanctity wasn't doing enough for me here, and flusterstorm helps me win the counterspell war better.

Game 3:
    This game was pretty ridiculous, there was some show and tells getting counterspelled, some food chain getting counterspelled, a deathrite shaman being cast by food chain player, I topdecked a boseiju as my 3rd land drop (I had missed a land drop so this was on turn 4). He goes to cast a misthollow griffin on his turn 4 but I force of will it pitching a pact of negation. On my turn 5 I topdecked an ancient tomb and cast show and tell off boseiju to put in emrakul, he put in food chain. I passed the turn. On his turn he eats his griffin to put it in exile, then goes to cast it and I cast pact of negation (My mana was 2x island, boseiju, and ancient tomb). He had topdecked a blue card for his force of will so he counters my pact and griffin resolves. The other 2 cards in his hand were walking ballistas so he shoots me to death :(

Round 3 Game 1 (Czech Pile)
    Game 1 was pretty straightforward, kept countermagic and resolved a show and tell getting emrakul in play. He tried to put a Jace the Mind Sculptor into play, and I told him that it isn't a legal card for show and tell, so he puts in a baleful strix instead. He didn't draw a liliana of the veil and didn't have enough mana to cast Jace TMS either, so I win.

Sideboard Plan:
    -1 Force of will, -1 Misty Rainforest, -1 Emrakul, -1 gitaxian probe -3 intuition (surgical extraction is not friends with intuition), +1 Boseiju, +1 Flusterstorm, +1 spell pierce, +4 leyline of sanctity.

Game 2:
    He gets down triple deathrite and I have to cast a bunch of cantrips, deathrite clan and a baleful strix get me down to 8 life before I'm able to hardcast hive mind off of 4 islands and a city of traitors. I cast double pact of the titan, but he drains me for 6, then during his upkeep drains me for the remaining 2 life and he wins. At some point I probed him and saw a diabolic edict, so I knew I couldn't just show and tell into emrakul, so I brainstormed away emrakul with a fetchland to hope to strengthen my hive mind plan. Had I drawn a grim monolith at some point in the game I would have been at least 1 turn faster and it might have been enough to get me the win.

Sideboard plan didn't change for game 3.

Game 3:
    I had leyline of sanctity in my mull to 6 (the 7 was sol land and a bunch of blue cards, boo.) I was protected from Diabolic Edict, Liliana of the Veil, Thoughtseize, and Cabal Therapy (which wasn't in his deck, but I didn't know that). He had boarded in Chill, thinking it would prevent him from being able to cast his copy/copies of pact of the titan by him not paying the 2. I can see how he thought that would work, but Hive mind just puts a copy on the stack as if he cast it, he's not actually casting the spell, so Chill's effect doesn't apply. I was able to show and tell in a hive mind, backing it up with a pact of negation and a force of will. He tried to force it, so I forced his force. This tapped me out, so I did have to wait a turn to cast pact of the titan because of Chill. On his turn, he surgical extracted my force of wills, so I surgical extracted his force of wills with my copy, then he flashed it back with snapcaster mage and got my ponders, so I got his brainstorms. Didn't think it was too odd of a card to board in, given that he saw my volcanic island in game 2. Then on my turn I was able to cast the pact of the titan and sorted out the Chill thing, so I ended up winning. I assumed his reasoning for chill was he wanted to slow me down a bit, and maybe prevent me from using red elemental blast or pyroblast which seemed reasonable to me if he had dead cards in his deck/board.

Anyway, here's the list I played:

Hive Mind

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Volcanic Island

3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Intuition
    4 Pact of Negation
    4 Pact of the Titan
    4 Ponder
    4 Show and Tell
    1 Summoner's Pact

3 Grim Monolith
    4 Hive Mind

SIDEBOARD

2 Kozilek's Return
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Spell Pierce

Changes I'd make if I played it again: Honestly, not much. I'd consider maindecking a copy of boseiju instead of one of the sol lands. The sideboard felt pretty great, even though 4 copies of two different leylines is a fairly bulky sideboard, it's really what helps the deck's bad matchups. Flusterstorm and Spell Pierce are to win the counterspell wars, and beat other combo decks. The kozilek's return is for D&T, elves, decks with too many annoying dudes... I boarded it in vs czech pile as well.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1)

*Officially on hiatus until after the GP*

I'll try to have some really spicy stuff and/or play more than once a week after the GP to try to catch up :)

Right now I'm tinkering with the MUD sideboard to gear up for the GP if I play it there.

Welcome back to the fun! I ended up settling on MUD for the GP Vegas Legacy event, and I unfortunately went 5-4 for day 1, picking up my 4th loss in round 9. Now I'm back to playing different stuff each week. I didn't have a lot of time to build something crazy/new, just played a deck I had built for a friend for Vegas. It's a pretty standard elves list, and I went 1-2 today.

Round 1: D&T (2-0) not much to say here, matchup is so favored for elves.
    Round 2: Maverick (1-2), pretty close games all around, lots of back and forth, a couple of different draws could have tipped the game in my favor, but oh well.
    Round 3: UWR control (1-2) Not a lot to say here either, he had an overwhelming amount of removal and enough countermagic to blank the GSZs and natural orders and stabilize.

Here's the list:

Elves

2 Bayou
    2 Cavern of Souls
    2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    4 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

1 Birchlore Rangers
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Heritage Druid
    1 Elvish Mystic
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Quirion Ranger
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    1 Shaman of the Pack

4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Natural Order

SIDEBOARD

4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Thoughtseize

Changes I'd make: Not much, I hardly ever play elves so I'm not well versed in what the deck needs/doesn't need. Kind of just swiped this list and jammed it. The deck doesn't fit my playstyle too well, so I probably wouldn't play it much more.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2)

Last edited by Jakobian1010; 07-04-2017 at 02:03 AM.

Have you had a look at this article yet:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...-vegas-wrap-up

Lots of interesting decks:
    - Grixis Pyromancer
    - Ub Death's Shadow
    - "Big Eldrazi" with Cloudpost, Voltaic Key, Thran Dynamo, Grim Monolith
    - Bg Hexmage Depths with Sylvan Safekeeper
    - Grixis Tezzerator

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    This deck archetype has several subgenres:

Pact SI - the Bg(r)(u) color decklist you posted with MD Summoner's pact, Charbelcher, ESG, Dryad Arbor. Can run EtW.

SAINT (Bg, 4 Ad Nauseam, 4 Charbelcher, 4 mox opal, 1 Tendrils, 0 draw 4s, 10x 0 mana artifact creature)

SI-TES (Br, MD BW & EtW, lands, no Charbelcher, plays lots of 0 mana Kobolds to imprint red)

Quasi SI (Bu, Meditate, lands, no Charbelcher)

More info here:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...x-Storm-Combo)

Hello again,

Today I decided to play a pretty old deck. It never got really popular as far as I know, but it was pretty fun to play today! I also went 2-1 so that was neat too. I wasn't keeping tallies, but I think I cast emrakul from under mosswort bridge 3 times, did stiflenought once, and did show and tell emrakul 2 times. (I played a couple games for funsies before the actual matches started). The deck was pretty fast when it functioned, but there were a couple of games where I cantripped into nothingness for several turns. I probably shouldn't have kept hands with no clear win condition plan in them though. With a bit more practice with the deck I'd probably tune the sideboard better and have a more clear idea of what hands are good/bad. I'd play the deck again overall, it was pretty fun and pretty confusing for my opponents.

Matchups:
    Esper deathblade (0-2). We played 2 practice games before the matches started and I beat him 2-0, so it kinda sucked that he beat me 2-0 in the ones that counted for reals. Basically he just got enough countermagic to stop me from doing my thing, and had well timed wastelands for the mosswort bridges with emrakuls underneath them.

Basically a bye (2-0). This random dude showed up and played some deck that was legacy legal, but wasn't a real deck. I show and tell'd emrakul in game 1 and mosswort bridge'd emrakul in game 2. His deck isn't really worth mentioning.

Grixis delver (2-1). His deck is pretty much a typical grixis build with delver, true name nemesis, tombstalker, lightning bolts, dazes, stifles, etc. Game 1 I was able to thoughtseize him and see he had no countermagic, then cast a show and tell and got emrakul into play. He kept a pretty loose hand which was too land heavy so I think that's why I won that one.
    Game 2 there was some back and forth, he was able to stifle my mosswort bridge activation when I had a dreadnought in play, I was able to get another bridge and another emrakul underneath it (so if I drew another dreadnaught I'd be able to activate both), but never saw the other dreadnought so he bashed me down with a delver and a deathrite.
    Game 3 I kept a kind of risky hand, did turn 1 mosswort bridge and hid away a show and tell, then on turn 2 I did phyrexian dreadnought + stifle with force of will backup, and he didn't counter either of them. A couple turns later and the game was over, since I'm pretty sure he didn't have any way to kill the dreadnought once it stuck.

Aeon Bridge

4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Force of Will
    1 Misdirection

3 Lotus Petal
    4 Mosswort Bridge
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Underground Sea

Sideboard

2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Not of This World
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Illusionary Mask

I obviously wouldn't recommend playing this deck in a real event. It's just too slow for modern times. Fatal push and abrupt decay make the stiflenought plan painfully awful these days. Wasteland is way too abundant for mosswort bridge to be reliable enough. Show and tell into emrakul is pretty much the only part of the deck that's still good, but there's much better ways to do that.

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2), Aeon Bridge (2-1)

Excellent deck choice. To be fair stifle+dreadnought is like plan E.

Hello Everyone. I'm sorry I haven't been updating lately, I moved from California to Michigan, and as a result took a bit of time off from legacy. I have played in 3 tournaments since I last posted though! I don't have exact matchup details written down, but the decks I played are as follows:

The People's Cannon (Belcher)

4 chrome mox
    4 simian spirit guide
    4 elvish spirit guide
    4 rite of flame
    4 seething song
    4 pyretic ritual
    4 desperate ritual
    4 manamorphose
    4 lotus petal
    4 lion's eye diamond
    4 tinder wall
    4 goblin charbelcher
    4 land grant
    4 burning wish
    3 empty the warrens
    1 taiga

Sideboard:

1 diminishing returns
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 empty the warrens
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Hull Breach
    4 Xantid Swarm
    4 pyroblast

I'm not lucky enough when I play belcher. I went 1-2, mostly because opponents had answers in the form of force of will, flusterstorm, or ways to wipe out all my goblin tokens. I played against two UWR heavy countermagic decks and a dragon stompy deck (you can probably guess which 2 were my losses and which one was my win). I did get to "do the thing" at least once per player, and a couple of times it was turn 1.

Jund Depths

1 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Taiga
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Karakas
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Dark Depths

4 Mox Diamond
    2 Crop Rotation
    4 Entomb
    2 Punishing Fire
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Life from the Loam
    1 Raven's Crime
    4 Smallpox
    1 Nether Spirit
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard

3 Pithing Needle
    1 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Exploration
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Coffin Purge
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Punishing Fire
    1 Ray of Revelation
    2 Innocent Blood
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Toxic Deluge

I went 1-2 with this outdated list of Jund Depths. The newer list probably fares much better against the current meta. The new list eschews 2 liliana for 2 abrupt decay, cuts squee, runs 3 mirri's guile (seems super useful for determining if you want to dredge or draw), and has a host of other changes. Here's the more updated list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/652981#paper. I don't own the requisite 3 mirri's guile so I didn't run the newer list, but I really like the inclusion of it. I faced a couple of heavy countermagic decks and couldn't get a fast enough clock vs the other deck I played against. All in all, this deck is extremely difficult to pilot correctly, but it is a good deck in the right meta. It's great at punishing decks which rely heavily on low costed creatures (such as delver, elves, D&T, etc.), but it can lose hard to combo.

Bant Brave Sir Robin

1 Bayou
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Savannah
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2 Noble Hierarch
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Crop Rotation
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Ponder
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Retreat to Coralhelm
    1 Sylvan Library

Sideboard

1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Path to Exile
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Zealous Persecution

Splashing black for leovold is wrong, but I wanted to try it out. The deck struggles with getting the requisite colors of land to cast everything it needs, partially because of lands like dark depths, stage, dryad arbor, and karakas which only offer 0-1 colors of mana, or can't tap when they come into play, etc. There were so many times I desperately needed green mana to do stuff and had something like underground sea, thespian's stage, and karakas in play. Playing birds of paradise was probably to assist in producing black mana, but I think noble hierarch is just strictly better. Green sun's zenith can probably go to 3 instead of 4 with the removal of leovold, since there's really only a couple targets you want to grab (dryad arbor early game, KoTR later game). I went 1-2 with this deck. I did have several close games even if I lost. I also found myself relying too heavily on the dark depths + thespian's stage combo instead of the Knight + Retreat to Coralhelm combo. I feel like there is room for some number of misdirection to help protect against abrupt decay, which destroys both pieces of the combo in this deck. Sejiri steppe would have also been great in the deck. I'm sure it was cut due to wanting to splash black.

In other news, since I've moved to Michigan I have been trying to find a good place to play legacy on a weekly basis, but the support doesn't seem to be there. I'm going to see what I can do about getting more people interested in it, and getting stores to make facebook events for things more frequently. The community in southern California was great at advertising their events and coordinating schedules. Not all hope is lost though. I do already know of a shop that will be doing every-other-month $1k prizing legacy events, which qualify players for a $3k legacy event once per year, so there's at least 6 (or 7) fairly major legacy events per year here, as well as some other legacy for staples events along the way.

I'll continue to play as much legacy as possible, and will update as often as I can, though it will likely not be weekly anymore :(

I know I haven't posted in a long time, but most of the events I go to now have higher entry fees (usually $25) so it's harder for me to justify playing tier 2 or tier 3 decks. I did play Eureka and Tell this week, but it did not go so well. Not much to say about it really, basically I mulligan'd to 5 a couple of times, played something like 9 cantrips and didn't see a copy of show and tell or Eureka in one game. I played 3 rounds and went 0-3. The deck looks good on paper, but I must have just had awful luck with it. I ended one game with every fetchable land in play and 2 ancient tombs and a city of traitors in play, it was atrocious. I think maybe the threat density needs to be higher in the deck. Even with the living wishes, 5 threats in the mainboard just wasn't enough. I'd try either the BUG build with thoughtseizes and abrupt decays, or I'd just go for the classic blue show and tell with dream halls rather than playing Eureka.

I've been jamming food chain at larger events and doing pretty good with it. The other deck I'm going to be trying out more is colorless stax (the one I posted earlier in this thread, with a couple tweaks).

3 Griselbrand
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Daze
    3 Living Wish
    1 Intuition
    4 Show and Tell
    3 Eureka
    4 Force of Will
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Omniscience

2 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Boseiju, who shelters all
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Forest
    3 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island

Sideboard

1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Sandwurm Convergence
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Xantid Swarm
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Griselbrand

The decks played so far are: High Tide (1-2), Food Chain (2-1), Doomsday (1-2), MUD (3-0), Imperial Painter (3-0), Hexmage Depths (3-0-1), The Cure (2-1), Sneak Through the Breach* (0-4), Tin Fins (2-1), RUG Ascension (8 pyromancer) (0-3), BR Reanimator (1-2), Aluren (recruiter build) (0-3), MonoU Omnishow (1-2), RG lands (1-2), Noble BUG (3-0), Colorless Stax (3-0), Dragon Stompy (0-2 drop)*, Quinn (2-1), UWR Nahiri Control (2-1), BUG Opposition(1-2), Renegade Maverick (2-0-1), Shardless BUG (0-2-1), Infect* (2-3), D&T (2-1), Food Chain Ballista build* (3-3), Dredge (1-2 but the win was a bye), UWR bomberman (3-1), Zombardment (1-2), Hive Mind combo (2-1), Elves (1-2), Aeon Bridge (2-1), The People's Cannon (belcher) (1-2), Jund Depths (1-2), Brave Sir Robin (1-2), Eureka and Tell (0-3)

Thread Information